• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas Wildfires. My Home. Gone. My Parent's Home. Gone. My Uncle's Home. Gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Askani

What a horrible experience. Sorry that you're going through it. I don't have that much but I couldn't imagine losing it. Good luck.

I don't think there's anything I can say that hasn't been said above me.

Also as was mentioned above, I'm sure GAF could scrape some bucks together for some necessities.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Whenever you can Pristine, set up a PayPal account. I'll definitely contribute. So sorry to hear about your loss man.

JoeBoy101

My condolences, Pristine.

I had a house fire that was a complete loss about four years ago. Was on my way home from work when my wife called me hysterically crying about it when she got home to find it.

You got out safe, your parents are alright, and the ducks lived. That's all that matters.

Vincent Alexander said:
I don't like Rick Perry at all...but what could he honestly have done?

Not be a hypocrite.

You know, he would be all over Obama, if Obama was at a "debate," while some sort of catastrophe was going on in the United States.

Perry is so bad, I'm willing to vote for subpar candidates just to keep him out.

P.S.: Well... Pristine, I'm sorry about your losses, but the silver lining in the cloud is that nobody you knew, lost their life.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
In Dallas here, so sorry to hear this man.
Glad you and your family is safe. And those lucky ducks.

Good luck to you.
I'm upping my insurance now.

So sorry to hear this, really glad the family is safe. The story of you leaving in the fire sounds like something from a movie :(

For such a sad news, that was a good piece of storytelling. Hearing that your ducks survived almost brought tears. My deepest sympathies and as a fellow Austinite, I'd be happy to help out if you ever need it.

PacoDG

I am so sorry to hear about that, thank you for sharing, so glad that your family and of couse you are okay, and those ducks :)

When I glanced at your thread title I read it as "My Parent's. Gone." and read the OP with much angst. Glad everyone's safe and alive, even the ducks - sorry about your house :(.

JoeBoy101

dallow_bg said:
I'm upping my insurance now.

If you want to actually do something to protect yourself:

A) Take photos of all your stuff inside your house. You have no idea how hard it is to remember all your belongings with no reference points whatsoever after a house fire. This also holds true for theft or floods.

B) Put those photos and other precious documents in a fireproof box or safe. They work remarkably well, but make sure they can last burning for a good hour at least. If you think a possible fire could be worse (i.e., if there have been wildfires in your vacinity) use a safe deposit box.

C) Check to make sure the amount of insurance on your house will cover the entire value of your house and what the level of your personal loss account is. Does no good if you have extra room on your house insurance, but the personal loss coverage of that home owner's insurance is piddly.

Those are the three big prepatory things I learned from my fire. Luckily, I had B and C taken care of.

CrankyJay said:
Can't wait to hear how insurance companies will be fucking people over on this one.

Yeah, that's why if Pristine needs any help with that he should let us know, or even just finding forms or the right agencies or departments, we'll find them.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
As a fellow homeowner, reading your story is heartbreaking. There are so many things in my home that are simply invaluable. I hope you can bounce back, but this is absolutely devastating.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
JoeBoy101 said:

A) Take photos of all your stuff inside your house. You have no idea how hard it is to remember all your belongings with no reference points whatsoever after a house fire. This also holds true for theft or floods.

B) Put those photos and other precious documents in a fireproof box or safe. They work remarkably well, but make sure they can last burning for a good hour at least. If you think a possible fire could be worse (i.e., if there have been wildfires in your vacinity) use a safe deposit box.

C) Check to make sure the amount of insurance on your house will cover the entire value of your house and what the level of your personal loss account is. Does no good if you have extra room on your house insurance, but the personal loss coverage of that home owner's insurance is piddly.

Those are the three big prepatory things I learned from my fire. Luckily, I had B and C taken care of.
Great advice, thank you.

Meier

Sorry man. :( Just terrible.. it's pretty surreal how much damage this thing has done and continues to do. I think the count is up to 800 homes in Bastrop.

Ydahs

Looks like you lived in a nice rural area. I'm sorry to hear about your loss :(

Reminds me of the hundreds who died in the Victorian bushfires in Australia a few years ago. My teacher's home was one of the thousands completely decimated by the fire. Saw some horrible images that I'll never forget.

Also, the pictures of the ducks brought a smile to my face. What a wonderful story. Did you make sure they were not hurt? No burns on their bodies?

kodecraft

RandomVince said:
Man, you did damn near everything wrong on paper, so to have survived you are very lucky and glad you and your family didnt die. When there were major bushfires in Victoria (Australia) a couple of years ago, heaps of people were found dead in vehicles trying to flee. Some had run into cars that were abandoned too, so no telling what happened.

The photo of your ducks though is beautiful. Nice to know they survived too, somehow.

Good luck with rebuilding, and hopefully if it ever happens again you are better prepared and informed (seriously, it's disgusting there was so little information from emergency services in your area, by the sounds of it).

We've always understood that if youre in a farming area, and its a grass/wildfire, the best thing to do is get to a burnt out paddock thats already been completely burned away. But obviously getting there and other factors to consider might not be relevant to everyone.

Good luck with rebuilding, hope you dont get the runaround from insurance companies.

I agree with this, its unfortunate but count your blessings, the way you did this could've ended up worse for you.

My house is near the Stiner Ranch fire. We got warnings we might have to evacuate twice. It's been really nerve wracking here in town. Trying to go to work while keeping an eye on the MINIMAL coverage to see if I need to rush home has been awful.

I feel for you bro. I'm off work Friday and Saturday. If there's anything you need in town, let me know and ill try and work it out for you.

Sorry for your loss and hope you're doing ok

The ducks are lucky they survived... also, can't unsee the dog face on the duck's bill now

So sorry for your loss. But, the time you might have taken to grab "irreplaceable" items would probably have meant your lives.

You said there was nothing on the radio? Not even an Emergency Broadcast Warning?

bubnbob

Banned
JoeBoy101 said:

brb taking alphebetical and categorized pics of all my videogames

Ducky_McGee said:
Fuuuuuuck. :( So sorry to hear about that.

Got a paypal account?

Perhaps us GAFers can do something good for one of our own (and his ducks).
That is god damned tragic man. I'm with Ducky, if you've got a paypal account, I'd totally be down to send you some cash if you're in need.

Nitrik

Neo Member
I guess that makes us neighbors. I live on the east side of tahitian village. Still no word on our house but we're expecting the worse. Your part about our "news" station made me laugh. Info about the wildfire was only found until after we were evacuated. Sorry to hear about your house

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Kryptonian is also the guy who threatened to beat people down with a baseball bat when prop 8 passed. "You better watch your fucking backs" I remember him posting. Don't sweat it, dude has issues.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
First, thank God you and your family are safe and unharmed. I am very sorry you lost so much in the fire, hopefully your insurance company is expedient in compensating you and your parents. My parents live in Northeastern Texas near Wylie in a wooded area as well and lately Ive been paranoid about the fires, I can only imagine your fears as you were driving to them. You seem like a real cool guy from the posts of Ive read of yours mostly in the College Football thread you constantly crack my shit up.

I hope you can get back to some type of normalcy soon, good luck bro.

Edit: Oh I also see people might be setting up a Pay Pal for you. I will gladly donate some money to that.

JoeBoy101

bubnbob said:
brb taking alphebetical and categorized pics of all my videogames

Depending on the loss and circumstances, your experience with an insurance company can vary. My fire started at my neighbor's house and spread to mine, so the insurance company had somebody else to blame and bill (my neighbor's insurance) and the fire department declared it a total loss (no need to try and quibble over repairing or replacing stuff).

What happened for me, is I got a worksheet to fill out of all the items lost. I could itemize to my heart's content, but ended up going more macro (i.e., 50 Games lost at certain cost apiece) instead of anal (i.e., Resident Evil 5, Halo 3, etc.). Insurance companies don't mind that as much because though they will reimburse you for replacement, they only give you half the depreciated value up front. You only get full value (minus decpreciated value) when you replace something. For Example:

Resident Evil 5 was bought for $50
Its currently worth $25.
Insurance gives you $12.50 immediately, and when you provide a receipt for a new copy, you get another $12.50.

So yeah, its better to be anal about it, but be warned, depending on the circumstances, they might fight you about claiming some items.

Menelaus

Banned
I know it sounds trite now, but be happy you escaped with your life and health; brick and mortar can be replaced, but you have everything you need to do that, even if it doesn't feel like it right now.

So so sorry to hear about this. The Dallas air is slowly starting to get smokey, so we definitely are with you.

Jtwo said:
Kryptonian is also the guy who threatened to beat people down with a baseball bat when prop 8 didn't pass. "You better watch your fucking backs" I remember him posting. Don't sweat it, dude has issues.

What? He really said that? Do you have a link?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not gonna go out of my way to find it, searching someones post history for a "gotcha" seems like an invasion of space. Plus, I'm sure I wouldn't be too thrilled if someone did it to me. It was in whatever prop8 megathread was going at the time. Whether that was poligaf, general election, prop8 itself.. I don't know. Probably ~1hour after reports it didn't pass started coming in.

My post was just more to help the OP not take that thread title seriously, since it was coming from a madman and all.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
What can I say that hasn't been said or crossed your minds. It's tough and I, like others, have been in similar dangers and happenings such as earthquakes. It's uncertain, tension filled, and scary. You have to make quick calls and question every one of them. What to take with you. Do you leave the PC's, electronics? Some of us have the luxury of pull trailers to load tons of stuff on but one cannot load all the furniture and such with a seemingly small window.

I should ask, how long would you say you had before you think the fire would have reached you? It's a hard question but were you so panicked that you just wanted to get to your parents? I would have got the vanity things and others that I know I like such as my expensive PC, a TV if I could (I own 2 nice ones), the PS3, my phone, necessities (of course). Too many things to list and what would one think if they saw a fire barreling their way? Panic and anxiety.

Now, that last paragraph was a tiny bit in jest but these are the little things that cross ones mind when going through a natural disaster or moment of crisis.

Hope the best for you and your family. Nothing can bring back all your possessions but you have to almost look at it like it was meant to be and a new and better beginning is ahead. Try and move where you think this won't happen or just live your life as you see fit. I know I would be a little timid to move near a lot of brush or burnable material after something like this. Good luck.

Addition - There's little things like insurance and stuff that I hope help you out. Or at least some kind of aid or things that have been mentioned.

This must be devastating. You never know what you should do in situations like this until it's too late. Very sorry for your loss. But when I scrolled down to your ducks I smiled, and I hope that when you found them alive and well and waddling around like ducks should you smiled too.

acksman

Damn been so busy needed a small break and I find this here.

Pristine, do you live out in Circle D area of Bastrop?

It looks like my Parents house and my brothers house are both gone as well. They live on Pine Tree Loop. We still have no word and they will not let them in.

I will probably heading down to Bastrop this weekend, if you need any supplies or anything. Just PM me please. I will shoot you one as well.

Sorry about the loss man :(

Davedough

I really couldn't imagine going through that. I'm so sorry for everything you've had to endure and will be faced with going forward. I'm not normally emotionally moved by things I read, but your story almost brought me to tears. I feel horrible for your loss and wish you the best of recoveries. Try and find your own personal Phoenix to rise from the ashes and be born again anew. Best of luck to you man.

dream

Holy shit, Pristine. I don't even know what to say right now. I'm just glad you're okay.

I hope you reconsider the Paypal thing, if only to be able to cover your essentials while you figure out where to go from here.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
My condolences Pristine, I hope you can get back on your feet and get everything back to as close as normal as soon as possible.

Bushfires/wildfires sound scary as hell.

FOOTE

Awful. I'm glad you, your parents and ducks are okay though.

Try to look towards your future and forget about this as soon as you can so that you can rebuild yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom