• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TF2 is getting competitive matchmaking

I think the important takeaway from the video was that when it does release, 1) it will not be exactly what we want but 2) it will be updated and iterated on.

It's very unlikely that matchmaking will be "vanilla 6v6" right off the bat (or ever ... even comp uses some of the new items), but if Valve cares enough to work with all these people who are playing 6v6 comp then it stands to reason that common competitive formats will be supported in the long run.

It won't be 6s. It'll be highlander, almost guaranteed. That was part of the original plan a year ago, at least. Valve consider highlander to be the "proper" comp TF2 environment so every class is represented.

In the video they mentioned Valve might interested in 9v9 without the Highlander restriction. Anyway, it'll probably launch with only one format, because otherwise it would split up the community and make it slow for everyone. Which is not good for a launch. Later they'll iterate and might add support for other formats.

Medic vs Kritzkrieg alone is enough reason not to stick to stock weapons.

The difference in skill level between pub and competitive cannot be overstated. You can jump into any decent MGE server and get rekt even if you sweep random pubs.

I don't really care about CS:GO competitive. What I want is:

CTRL+F "removes 'class update items'"

0 results found.

WELP. When Team Fortress 2 goes back to the "competitive"/vanilla mode where each class had a specific role and way to play it, I'll consider playing Team Fortress 2 again.

The whole backburner/flare gun/etc. items just drew me away from the game.

Most of the new weapons are actually alright
Some are plain fucking stupid (rocket jump boots, parachute, demo's shenanigans, etc), I'll agree to that.

Some are plain fucking stupid (rocket jump boots, parachute, demo's shenanigans, etc), I'll agree to that.

The Gunboats are basically core on competitive Soldier and are one of the bread and butter unlocks for that class that nearly every league allows.

TF2 is the gift that keeps on giving.

I feel bad for anyone who managed to miss this game for the last near decade. It will be one of my best enduring gaming memories of all time. Especially after having met the voice actors. Game and franchise are just a treat, refreshingly light-hearted while still providing a heavily skill-based experience if you wanted to go to a try-hard server.

Lazulic

gunboats are useful as fuck for me, and if youre parachuting in comp thats a fast ticket to get killed

really great news. as someone who still hops on pubs every week, this will be a nice change. gotta find a posse

I used Gunboats ever since I wanted to learn how to aim rockets better. I won't have any other fallback if I miss, so it pushed me to make each rocket count. It really paid off in the end.

And I guess it's been really long since I played. I didn't know GB was considerable on competitive, let alone core. It used to be a joke.

Lazulic

I used Gunboats ever since I wanted to learn how to aim rockets better. I won't have any other fallback if I miss, so it pushed me to make each rocket count. It really paid off in the end.

And I guess it's been really long since I played. I didn't know GB was considerable on competitive, let alone core. It used to be a joke.

the rocket jump game is real. mastering that and getting around the map far quicker as a result is something I would consider key for soldier players. separates the men from the ladies

de1irium

It won't be 6s. It'll be highlander, almost guaranteed. That was part of the original plan a year ago, at least. Valve consider highlander to be the "proper" comp TF2 environment so every class is represented.

It's kind of a shame that after 8 years of the community saying "this is how we play comp" that Valve still isn't into it. Like, I know the game wasn't designed for comp play to begin with but if you're gonna support it at this point, you may as well go all-in.

Rockk

I've pretty much stopped playing tf2 over the last 2 years. Playing a pub and going 30-1 is just not that fun. And spending 3 hours a night/5 nights a week on a competitive team is not something I can handle. I'm so glad they are working on this. Hopefully they'll finally start balancing some of those goddamn pyro and heavy weapons.

These useless years of competitive tf2 will finally pay off. Dreamhack here I come!

It's kind of a shame that after 8 years of the community saying "this is how we play comp" that Valve still isn't into it. Like, I know the game wasn't designed for comp play to begin with but if you're gonna support it at this point, you may as well go all-in.

Highlander is on the rise (and has been for awhile) and is the most popular format for amateur leagues, which are probably the people who would most benefit from a comp lobby.

the rocket jump game is real. mastering that and getting around the map far quicker as a result is something I would consider key for soldier players. separates the men from the ladies

I agree that rocket jump is primordial, I just find the concept of the gunboats stupid. You just take less damage from RJ, meaning you can abuse it even more.
Items I listed were more "stupid" items than OP items in my taste.

If they stick to vanilla weapons only that would be stupid. I can't play engineer without my trusty Rescue Ranger!!!
But if they allow a list to choose which weapons you want disables for certain matches, that could work. It still would need tiers for what is truly 'comp' or something.

de1irium

Highlander is on the rise (and has been for awhile) and is the most popular format for amateur leagues, which are probably the people who would most benefit from a comp lobby.

Oh, interesting ... admittedly, I haven't played on a team since '09 and fell out of the game for a long time afterward. Highlander was an amusing idea at best, back then.

Oh, interesting ... admittedly, I haven't played on a team since '09 and fell out of the game for a long time afterward. Highlander was an amusing idea at best, back then.

Highlander is the most accessible mode imo, playing 2 scouts 2 soldiers demo medic would be boring for some people I'm guessing.
Although the issue with highlander is some classes are shit on some maps or modes

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
It was a lot of fun playing FLOOR_MASTER's TF2lobby, so it's great to hear that TF2 is finally getting it officially.

Hylian7

I really don't think TF2 is very good as a competitive game unless the competitive matches are played without crits. Crits, and the fact that they can happen on ANY weapon are the single reason that make it not a viable competitive game and more of a stupid fun one. Don't get me wrong, I love TF2, it's a lot of fun, and they have built up a great legacy on this game as it's been active for EIGHT YEARS, but in no way shape or form is it fit to be a competitive game unless the games are played with crits disabled.

DorkyMohr

Banned
I'd have to brush up on what the ruleset for a "competitive" game of tf2 entails but that's at least an interesting development. The competitive mm of csgo is what was pulling me away from playing TF2 at all recently.

Alienups

I really don't think TF2 is very good as a competitive game unless the competitive matches are played without crits. Crits, and the fact that they can happen on ANY weapon are the single reason that make it not a viable competitive game and more of a stupid fun one. Don't get me wrong, I love TF2, it's a lot of fun, and they have built up a great legacy on this game as it's been active for EIGHT YEARS, but in no way shape or form is it fit to be a competitive game unless the games are played with crits disabled.

Random crits have been disabled in all forms of competitive TF2 for years, same with random spread.

Chances are, crits will be disabled for matchmaking. There isn't a single ruleset out there that have crits on.

Random damage and bullet spread either, I don't believe.

There is a competitive scene and a mode for competitive tf2 already thought. And it all works pretty well.

Hylian7

Random crits have been disabled in all forms of competitive TF2 for years, same with random spread.

Chances are, crits will be disabled for matchmaking. There isn't a single ruleset out there that have crits on.

Random damage and bullet spread either, I don't believe.

There is a competitive scene and a mode for competitive tf2 already thought. And it all works pretty well.

Oh, well I didn't know that. In that case, carry on!

Crayolan

So it's real. I'll probably test it out and see what it's about, even though I've never really ventured outside of pubs.

I like to think I'm a pretty decent spy and pyro.

Definitely getting back in when this lands (hopefully with a meta-game-breaking spy v engy update :D), in the meantime I should brush up on my rollouts...

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
As a huge TF2 fan I'm super excited about this... I still play the game quite a bit, though it's always been hard to convince friends to give competitive formats a shot because even simple pugging requires going through 3rd party sites or IRC channels, downloading Mumble, etc.

It's been incredible to see how much the community has done on their own to keep the competitive scene alive, in-game matchmaking and support from Valve will be such a great boost.

Volodja

Man, been a long while since I've played TF2 and even longer since I've watched some competitive action, but I used to enjoy it a lot back in the day.

I think I might have to return now. It might be too late to really get a resurgence in the game, but if anything will do it, this is it.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
VOD will be up soon if you missed it. Some of the main points from the cast...

- Valve wants to implement matchmaking in order to gather data for weapon balance and serve as an "end-game" for players to aspire to beyond pubbing.

- Format and team size are up in the air still, though Valve's interested in eventually having multiple queues. They're weighing convenience/speed of matchmaking vs TF2's population size. Will likely be different from existing competitive formats especially with regards to class/weapon limitations, so people used to current 6s and HL should keep an open mind.

- Ladder will likely be based on a rating of one's general TF2 skill, rather than a per class ranking.

- Source 2 port of TF2 is not happening any time soon since they don't see an immediate need for it.

- ETA is Valve-time. :p They do have a matchmaking system working internally and have been working on it at least since the fall of last year.

- The current TF2 team has some new blood, comprises ~4-8 people, and shares an office with CSGO devs. They'll remain in contact with the competitive scene moving forward and are already working on requested bug fixes and features like more customizable crosshair support, HUD changes, fixing demo functionality, etc. They're also willing to send merch to tournaments in the future.

Exciting stuff. :>

VOD will be up soon if you missed it. Some of the main points from the cast...

- Valve wants to implement matchmaking in order to gather data for weapon balance and serve as an "end-game" for players to aspire to beyond pubbing.

- Format and team size are up in the air still, though Valve's interested in eventually having multiple queues. They're weighing convenience/speed of matchmaking vs TF2's population size. Will likely be different from existing competitive formats especially with regards to class/weapon limitations, so people used to current 6s and HL should keep an open mind.

- Ladder will likely be based on a rating of one's general TF2 skill, rather than a per class ranking.

- Source 2 port of TF2 is not happening any time soon since they don't see an immediate need for it.

- ETA is Valve-time. :p They do have a matchmaking system working internally and have been working on it at least since the fall of last year.

- The current TF2 team has some new blood, comprises ~4-8 people, and shares an office with CSGO devs. They'll remain in contact with the competitive scene moving forward and are already working on requested bug fixes and features like more customizable crosshair support, HUD changes, fixing demo functionality, etc. They're also willing to send merch to tournaments in the future.

Exciting stuff. :>

Figured the stuff about Source 2. Dota is on priority atm. And after that maybe GO.

Thanks for this. Can a mod please put this in the OP and edit the title accordingly ("Updated" "Some details" or something like that)? On a phone atm.

Top Bottom