• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TGS Forza 5: Severe Visual Degradation? No, Uncalibrated TVs, No Geek Squad Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Argyle

They had early hardware units from E3 onwards - you can see them in photographs and videos with Forza, Killer Instinct, FIFA 14, I think Ryse too. The only titles not on actual hardware at E3 as far as I know were Lococycle (which they hadn't started porting to X1 yet) and Dead Rising 3.

I played The Crew with an Xbone controller, but the Windows cursor floating over the game screen was kinda distracting :p

Sky78

Banned
I played The Crew with an Xbone controller, but the Windows cursor floating over the game screen was kinda distracting :p

Well that's why I said "as far as I know"! :p

My main point is that the "Microsoft were showing their games on Titan PCs" line was debunked on the wider internet within 24hours - the only first party game at E3 on a PC was Lococycle as it hadn't been ported yet.

There is plenty of AV evidence that the other first party games at E3 were running directly on hardware at E3. I don't know about third parties.

Relevant to this conversation - Forza certainly was.

Daffy Duck

I hope Helios sees this but I have a question I don't seem to be able to find the answer to online:

With the day one console bundle, is the Forza 5 version the day one edition?

Sky78

Banned
Just wanted to quickly step in here to confirm that the builds used at Gamescom, PAX, and TGS are exactly the same.

That's cleared that up. I take it this is the same build that will be at Eurogamer next week too? Really looking forward to getting hands-on.

eso76

That's cleared that up. I take it this is the same build that will be at Eurogamer next week too? Really looking forward to getting hands-on.

That's this week and there's a developer session with Dan Greenawalt on...thursday i think ? And we're supposed to see new stuff.

Mascot

Just wanted to quickly step in here to confirm that the builds used at Gamescom, PAX, and TGS are exactly the same.

But the perceived 'downgrade' was from E3 to TGS, not from Gamescom or PAX.

Can you confirm there have been no downgrades from what was shown at E3? That would end this matter once and for all.

Sky78

Banned
That's this week and there's a developer session with Dan Greenawalt on...thursday i think ? And we're supposed to see new stuff.

Yeah I guess it is this week now it's Monday. Not fully awake yet this morning!

I'm going on Friday afternoon and Saturday all day so won't catch any talks, but looking forward playing all the games immensely.

Blimblim

The Inside Track

Can you confirm there have been no downgrades from what was shown at E3? That would end this matter once and for all.

Hundreds of people saw the E3 build and then the Gamescom/PAX/TGS build. It only took one person shouting downgrade to start this thread...

nib95

Banned
Prague is likely the best looking track in the game, I believe Turn 10 refer to the prague track as the "the crown jewel". So if other tracks do look worse it might not necessarily be that there's been a downgrade, just that those particular tracks aren't as good looking or haven't had as much tender loving care and attention as the Prague track.

I think I'm gonna need to see some direct footage for the E3 and most recent builds of the game side by side to see for myself if there's anything to this. Do we have these yet?

mocoworm

Are you actually being serious ?

You don't think that a single person who attended Gamescom, TGS or PAX would have said anything other than this one guy if it were 'severely visually downgraded' since E3?

Prague is likely the best looking track in the game, I believe Turn 10 refer to the prague track as the "the crown jewel". So if other tracks do look worse it might not necessarily be that there's been a downgrade, just that those particular tracks aren't as good looking or haven't had as much tender loving care and attention as the Prague track.

I think you are on the right track, if they were only going to be showing a single location for the first few months then build a good looking one.

As much as we wanted real tracks to be shown, it wouldn't have caught the attention of anyone but racing fans.

Wish Neogaf would add in a title history feature or something of that nature. Title changes can be very amusing but confusing for people who missed the original event.
pretty alarming

That people jump to hyperbolic, absurd conclusions? Absolutely so and rather embarrassing.

THIS

It's like comparing the cinematography in a Terrance Malik film to one made by Bret Ratner, Laguna Seca is butt ugly.

Sky78

Banned
Video looks fine to me although I am not one to spot stuff like that usually.

But....... WTF is going on with that sunlight glare. Who is the person that thought that was a good idea? Damn, that's horrible.....

I think its supposed to be part of the level design, I quite like the idea of making things harder on the easy straights of the track by putting in a load of glare.

Mascot

Are you actually being serious ?

You don't think that a single person who attended Gamescom, TGS or PAX would have said anything other than this one guy if it were 'severely visually downgraded' since E3?

Er.. yes, I was being quite serious. Rather than believe that 'one guy' who claimed to see a visual downgrade from E3 to TGS (and what sparked this whole thread), I was seeking clarification directly from a Turn 10 employee.

Facts, not opinions.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It looked approximate 4000 times better than Driveclub if that's worth anything.
They both look good in their own right yet very different.

I wasn't even aware a TV being uncalibrated could cause aliasing in a game. Guess you learn something new every day.
It doesn't cause it, it accentuates it. A lot of processing options on TVs are designed to sharpen up the image and this often ruins image quality in games.

Furthermore, LCDs tend to display more severe aliasing than plasmas (due to the nature of the subpixels used in each type of display), which is another thing to consider.

I think its supposed to be part of the level design, I quite like the idea of making things harder on the easy straights of the track by putting in a load of glare.

Hmmm. I wouldn't mind it so much if it was toned down a bit. I just hope it doesn't become a trend in racing games.

Remember the fuss when PGR3 launched, and how aliased it looked on the 'official' Samsung LCDs? Wasn't that down to resolution conflicts, or something?

Didn't follow the launch as I was in deep with PC hardware and yeah the first time I saw the game was at a demo station, it looked awful but once I had it back at home the game was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom