• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That game where one hour turns into ten

Anything with the PSVR. I had a meeting at 8 a.m. yesterday so I promised myself I wouldn't stay up past 10:30 the night prior. Put the headset on, started up Arkham VR and eventually switched over to the Demo disc and in what seemed like an hour, my fiancé was tapping my shoulder and telling me I should get to bed. At 1 a.m.

VR is a helluva drug.
And I had to pinch my legs to stay awake so often during the meeting that I have a few small bruises lol

correojon

Splatoon: I´ll just play 2 or 3 matches and call it a day, that´ll only take me 10 minutes. 2 hours later I´m still playing. Happens every f* time.

Durock

Viva Pinata. So much stuff going on all at once that you really get sucked right into it. Next thing you know, hours have went by!

Europa Universalis: IV. Happens often, always due to chain reactions occurring with alliances/wars especially now with Rights of Man expansion that added Great Power interventions.

Just this last weekend on Saturday I had planned to do something else for the day but in the morning I started up the game just to play for about 30 mins, turns out during that time my ally, Denmark would break the alliance with me (Commonwealth after forming it from Poland/Lithuania) whom was very important for me due to their navy, they broke it because their attitude changed to domineering and wanted to subjugate me, and Brandenburg would drag me into a war soon after (my other ally) where I am fighting on three fronts (due to various alliances being called in), the Ottomons to the south, Russia to the East, and a very strong Hungary to my west. Myself, Russia, and Ottomons were Great Powers, so another great power, France, did join in on my side as an intervention but it didn't help as much as I'd hope.

The war lasted for about 3 hours continuous gameplay, and we lost, but fortunately I did not take a big hit as I was expecting at first given my situation because I wasn't even prepared for the war, my military tech was behind, my manpower reserves were low, but I did have to cede the entire Crimean peninsula to the Ottomons as part of the peace treaty, even though about 50 years before this war I had taken it from the Ottomons in pretty much a near stalemate war too that put me into a lot of debt. Spent more hours playing rebuilding the strength of my nation/army because I was 100% sure the Ottomons would attack again and try and take more land from the south once our truce from the treaty expired. They did, but luckily I had won the war (whom I had to fight Russia once again on my east since they were allied), but I was able to force them to annul their alliance treaty in the peace deal which was really important because it would stop the Ottomon advance into Europe which Russia was helping. At this time I was the evening already, spent the whole day playing even though I had not planned to at all, wanted to do some other non-video game hobbies.

Granted pretty much every strategy game does this to me, particularly Paradox's.

SorchaR

At the moment it's Stardew Valley for me. Only being able to save at the end of the day is making it really hard to stop playing; there's always something I quickly want to do the next day so I won't forget. Game is like crack to me.

Crixus

Any TES, any Gothic.
Port Royale, AOE II.
Sid Meier's Pirates.
World Of Warcraft.
Flight Simulator X.
Anno 1701 & 1404.

thefro

Pretty much any great strategy-based game does that to me.

Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Civilization, Starcraft, etc.

Xzan

In the past, SMAC or Sins of the Solar Empire.

At the moment though, its Overwatch:

12:00 AM - "Just one more round"

1:00 AM - "Almost at the next level, loot box after one more round, then sleep..."

5:00 AM - "Just more rou...ah...shit..."

On the weekends, anyway. On week nights its more like until 1:00 AM, gotta get up at 6:00 AM for work.

Poor impulse control ftl.

I've played Minecraft for 8 hours straight without even realizing it. Walking around, exploring, finding caves. It's no surprise that game is so popular.

More recently though, I've been feeling this with Bloodborne. Once you get into a state of flow, you lose all sense of time and just keep going. It's a lot harder to lose myself in Bloodborne, though.

When I was working towards the 100% completion on The Binding of Isaac Rebirth/Afterbirth then one run could turn into many (I see you Keeper and pre Holy Mantle Lost) and many hours were spent. Now I fire it up and have one run and then I am out. Except I started a new file and.....fuck. Great Game :D

DonShula

Have this problem with Tropico V right now. Just want to play long enough to get to the next era. Then just long enough to get past this election. Then just long enough to build my first road to the opposite coast. Then just long enough for the next research to unlock. Then all of a sudden it's 2002.

Oh yeah, also Sid Meier's Pirates! I remember one summer morning I lay down on the loungeroom couch under the air conditioner playing Pirates! on the PSP. My housemates and my gf came over and I farewelled them off to work.

In the next instance I heard the front door open and in walked one of my housemates with a bemused look on his face whilst proclaiming "tell me you haven't been there all day?!"

It was only then that I noticed it was a bit darker outside.

Vex_

Banned
lol.... This is basically a CiV thread. especially because the game just dropped.

This game is notorious for making you go through time faster. It is basically a time machine.

Soph

I'll add my EUIV as well... being Europa Universalis IV.. clocked over1000 hours into that game, that's apparantly rather low compared to some of them on their forums.

I remember lately that whenever it's light outside while playing the game I get nervous because I think it's already morning.. and I have been playing all night.. even though it's clearly still in th emiddle of the day.

Football Manager.
Most turn-based tactics games.
Most isometric WRPGs.
It would be Overwatch, but the breaks between games help me snap out of it.

nOoblet16

Destiny.

When you play a raid that you expect to finish in an hour but then end up spending 5 hours on the final boss because of silly mistakes by everyone despite everyone knowing what to do and having done it multiple times.

Redwing199

Neo Member
Currently Dragon Quest Builders for me. Like last night I was finishing up a quest in chapter 2 and was going to stop to get some sleep. I got side-tracked in finding some new materials and the time just flies by after that.

Pretty much any really good game. This is happening to me right now while replaying the Arkham games on PS Now, but I know it happened a few weeks ago with Ace Attorney, I know it happens whenever I play a Souls game, and I know it'll happen whenever I get Civ 6 too.

Usually when you can say "just one more turn/story bit/last little errand" you get this problem.

Dark Souls - especially 2.
I feel like 2 has the opposite problem where it feels like you've been slogging along for hours only to find it's been a few minutes.

Ron Mexico

Notice there's a lot of turn based games in the list-- the ones that are done well seem to almost instantly have that "just one more turn" itch. Maybe because it's broken down into segments that seem finite?

Anyway, both mentioned before but Football Manager and Civ fall right into that category for me. Hell, I wasn't even a soccer/football fan before CM 01/02.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Picross. I just played 4 hours straight? But it felt like 30 minutes!

Also, Mon Hun can really sap time away without feeling it.

Rocketz

Roller Coaster Tycoon
Sim City

"Let me just build one more thing"

I'm scared when Cities Skylines comes to Xbox.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Persona 4 golden had this. But instead of turns it would be in game days.

But yeah civ, souls, xcom, Kotor, and recently the witcher 3 are happening to me where I loose the concept of time.

Top Bottom