• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That game where one hour turns into ten

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Civ is now the only game for me where this happens. In the past there have been loads but I have too much to do now to lose a weekend to a game.

For me it was this game
harvest-moon-back-to-nature-usa.jpg

I don't know how many hours I have sink into this but I still remember when I wanted just to play 1 hour and it became 10 hours

bryanee

Dragon Quest Builders.

Every time I stick it on for half hour to grab some supplies I'm on the bloody game for hours and hours.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Star Wars Supremacy (or SW Rebellion as it was known elsewhere) was like a time machine. I once played that game for about 10 hours straight without even realising, and I hardly ever play games for more than 2 hours at a time.

Teletraan1

Banned
Recently Factorio and Rimworld have done that to me. Those games eat your time and you don't even notice. You look around and it is bright outside.

Kill3r7

I don't know about 10 hours but Destiny for sure. I have set down intending to only play an hour or so before heading off to bed, only to then proceed to stay up all night.

Calamari41

41 > 38
For me it was this game
harvest-moon-back-to-nature-usa.jpg

I don't know how many hours I have sink into this but I still remember when I wanted just to play 1 hour and it became 10 hours

I'll never forget the great Christmas of 1999, when I got Harvest Moon 64. I decided to just start up the game for a few minutes before going to bed on Christmas night, and before I knew it it was two days later and I had beaten the game. One sitting.

That's what happens when I develop. I want to add a little feature and by the days end, I made an entire new mechanic or system.

Sad fact is that I can't allow myself anymore to play something and let one hour turn into 10...

Durante

I think for me, all games in which you build something fall into that category:
  • 4x strategy games like Civilization or Stellaris where you are focused on building up your empire, and the next major breakthrough is always on the horizon.
  • The economic simulation / building games like the Anno and Tropico series or Cities: Skylines, where there is great joy in seeing your plans come to fruition.
  • FInally, the type of "construction puzzle" games primarily made by Zachtronics, like TIS-100 or SpaceChem. I can spend hours tuning my solutions in those.

Hjod

Banned
A lot of games, but lately The Witcher 3 and Doom. I played to much of Witcher, holy shit, the days just raced by.

AerialAir

Banned
Witcher 3, Pokemon, Football Manager, Cities Skylines, MegaTen series, P&D, Soulsborne, Final Fantasy, I could go on and on

KageMaru

Ark Survival Evolved is an amazingly addictive game when playing with friends. I've played for 5+ hours without realizing it.

Definitely Football Manager. Nowadays I try to only play it when I'm watching something else, like a football match, or a stream, because otherwise I could easily lose hours to it.

MortosDer

Neo Member
Until a few weeks ago, Rocket League. And I'm not even kidding.
Now I went back to starcraft 2 (man! I missed that one).

Getting rid of my LoL habit is doing wonders for my gaming. So is being able to buy games at reasonable prices thanks to digital purchases, but that's totally OT

Until a few weeks ago, Rocket League. And I'm not even kidding.

I wish Rocket League did that, but I'm so bad at it and the game is now giving me skillful opponents, so I make lots of embarrassing mistakes and teammates start swearing at me and then I want to stop playing. So my one hour of free time turns into just 20-30 minutes of playing and then doing something else.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided is the latest game that makes me play for a loooong time, but I think I'm about to finish it. Hoping for Dishonored 2 and Watch Dogs 2 to do the same.

Zedark

Oblivion and Skyrim, and the Witcher 3 did this to me. Spend many afternoon playing for an hour of two only to release I've played from lunch to dinner in one haul.

In my young years Tales of Symphonia made time pass faster than I imagined it would.

"Checking one box to open up the next box" games are outright dangerous for me. No Man's Sky was the most recent example. I'm not sure I was actively enjoying the game most of the time (regardless of the Controversy and everything), but I'd never spend less than a few hours at a time playing since the loop tapped into that dark part of my lizard brain that latches onto miniscule accomplishments.

Budi

So I just finished playing a game of civ vi and I realised that I got into the old habit of booting it up and thinking I had only played an hour or two, but low and behold it was closer to six. It seems civ games have a strange quality that seem to bend my -and many others- sense of time.

What games do this to you?

As you said Civ, also Wow used to be like this. Altough many times the game was just running on background while I was doing something else. But I used to have raids going for 6 or more hours. Also Dota 2, "let's play few games" and then we play ten games.

Oddly enough, myCareer mode in 2K17, considering I play the game on 12 min quarters to beef up my stats and playing time. One game lasts close to 30 mins, and before you know it I'm knocking out 5-6 games in a session, not to mention all the story side notes, extra stuff to do, upgrading my player, etc.

MortosDer

Neo Member
I wish Rocket League did that, but I'm so bad at it and the game is now giving me skillful opponents, so I make lots of embarrassing mistakes and teammates start swearing at me and then I want to stop playing. So my one hour of free time turns into just 20-30 minutes of playing and then doing something else.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided is the latest game that makes me play for a loooong time, but I think I'm about to finish it. Hoping for Dishonored 2 and Watch Dogs 2 to do the same.

You can mute them, that's what I do. Won't let assholes get in the way of enjoyin this awesome game. All they're left with is spamming "nice save" in sarcastic ways

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Megaten games. I can spend hours hunting, talking and fusing demons trying to complete that compendium.

Top Bottom