• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That Last of Us 2 sales drop is impressive

Status
Not open for further replies.

cormack12

Gold Member
I've not seen many threads about TLOU II on this board.

The sales would always be front loaded. We're not really going to get a true picture until 3/4 years when the PS5 has launched. I thought it would always sell worse than the first one despite the controversy. TLOU I had the initial purchases, then it had those who fell in love with it purchasing the remastered copy - BC boost mode wouldn't work on original, you also had the migrants from the Microsoft -> Sony platforms who could play it for the first time.

So you would have the diehards purchasing now which is probably reflected in the story completion trophy. You've got people waiting for the PS5 before they jump in, and then any remastering they might do rather than BC and boost mode. There is no multiplayer either so no community rush for the online portion. So it will still have legs, I just don't see it having as strong legs as the first for reasons that go beyond the controversy

Kadayi

Banned
Everything after Ellie smoking the bad weed turned out to be non canon. 👀

I like that, maybe with TLOU3

tenor.gif

🤔

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
No the game is shit with agenda behind it. go defend it in reeera. they will love you there. people here just say the truth without worried of getting banned by trans mods just because we do not agree with them.

They killed the most important person in the game just to be led by an angry lesbian.

Dude the guy who created the game him self said he has an agenda behind the story when he was developing the game. something something about his daughter something
Ellie was also an important character in the 1st game. I have a few issues with the story but even with those negatives, the game is still good

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Sure did buddy.

My point is, if the first game did 20 mil copies sold, theoretically having 20 million fans give or take, regardless if it was bundled or not.

You would expect the sequel to one of sony’s most beloved highly anticipated franchise to perform better.

Because right now, it has fallen out of the top 10s, sales have dropped drastically week on week, divided the fanbase and its been beaten by GoT, which by the way is a new IP.

No, you compared 20 million units sold vs current sales of TLOU without bundles. It's fallen out of the top 10 in some countries.

I remember you said it shipped only 4 million copies in another thread when it was actually 4 million sold. And it's been beaten by GoT in sales? Do you have any proof?

Them: Sales doesn't mean a game is good

Also them: See I told you TLOU 2 is shit, look at how it's selling
Sales are an indication of a games popularity, not quality

Therefore, sales falling off a cliff = the game's popularity has fallen off a cliff. It's not rocket science, but I already see the usual suspects bending over backwards to justify it.

I think it's a combination of 2 things:

- The story sucks. I am pretty sure plenty of people decided not to buy the game because of this (and the main event a few hours in the story). And some people decided to quickly re-sell the game hurting the sales of new copies.
- Far left politics that pollute the game (and its story).

But I think the main reason is because of the mediocre story.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
I’m trying to forget it. You are not helping.

Same thing. Just letting it fail until Sony quietly decides to do something after the long term sales of the game fail to reach not even half of the previous title.

Hopefully Naughty Dog can be saved from Neil's incompetence, grim dark stories and political propaganda, but I'm not optimistic. :/

Ladies and gentlemen.

The people that dislike TLOU2 in a nutshell right here.

Yup, easier to classify all of us as some -ist when people dislike your ultra woke lgbt game.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Sales are an indication of a games popularity, not quality

Therefore, sales falling off a cliff = the game's popularity has fallen off a cliff. It's not rocket science, but I already see the usual suspects bending over backwards to justify it.
So most games popularity falls off a cliff seeing how tons of games see a steep drop after a few weeks

Lupingosei

Banned
You don't realize that bulk of the sales are made during the first few months and during the holidays. Bundles were released shortly after the game released and re-released again with the remaster.

God of War was top charts, yet took almost a year to reach 10 million, which is without a bundle. You can see how bundles impacted those numbers. Yes, you guys haven't done much research.

Did you even read the polygon article?

Today’s announcement suggests that The Last of Us has had an incredibly long tail in terms of sales, with nearly 10 million copies sold after the game’s first year of release. It must’ve helped that The Last of Us Remastered quickly became a must-have title for new PS4 owners.

whitesugar

Banned
False advertisement of joel in the trailers and fans of the first game who went blind led to the 4 million units shipped to retailers.

I’m glad the game got leaked, saved me a lot of money.
It was 4million sold. Sony dont announce shipped numbers for games. You can be against the game but there is no point being dishonest

//DEVIL//

Ellie was also an important character in the 1st game. I have a few issues with the story but even with those negatives, the game is still good
for the most part. you were controlling the guy in the game. the story began with him and his daughter and how he refused then started to adapt Ellie. he is the main character of the game with Ellie having an important role in the game.

This time they did not only reverse the roles. they just killed him.

Ulysses 31

Same thing. Just letting it fail until Sony quietly decides to do something after the long term sales of the game fail to reach not even half of the previous title.

Hopefully Naughty Dog can be saved from Neil's incompetence, grim dark stories and political propaganda, but I'm not optimistic. :/

Yup, easier to classify all of us as some -ist when people dislike your ultra woke lgbt game.
Might not necessarily be incompetence, it's that Neil, Rian Johnson, current Star Trek and Dr. Who writers are postmodernist who're all about rejecting and deconstructing established narratives in favor of pushing current day political/economical powers.

Azurro

Banned
I did. Do you understand it was bundled within a few months right?

So, 75% of the sales of the original TLOU were bundles? You can't be serious. :p

I wonder why some people are so married to this game being a success, even when most people that played it hated the characters and everything points to it being a salea flop.

Is it because it's an LGBT game and it HAS to be successful no matter what?

Ellery

Neil Druckmann is Vice President of Naughty Dog now. Everything he has worked on has been a gigantic success and Sony is well aware of it.
He is probably going to be responsible for many more games. There is even a possibility that is going to take a higher up position at Sony eventually or being President at Naughty Dog and making even more decisions.

I hope he stays and brings us more games for many years to come. Naughty Dog is the very pinnacle of video games, especially on the technical side. I am glad that they have Neil Druckmann who can take the very best and most talented people the industry has to offer and turns things into a complex and emotional masterpiece on top of having the best animations, graphics and design.

Super excited for what ND are going to do next. Imagine a third person Neil Druckmann Sci Fi game exclusively for the PS5 that takes full advantage of the abilities of the technical team and brings us the best game we have ever seen wrapped in a beautiful story.

Would be a shame to be in the unfortunate situation of disliking Neil Druckmann or not having a Playstation console. Gaming has never been better.

So most games popularity falls off a cliff seeing how tons of games see a steep drop after a few weeks
Yes, you've got it! However, we're not talking about 'most games'. We are, specifically, talking about one of the most anticipated games of 2020, and how its popularity fell off a cliff following strong sales and reviews.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
So, 75% of the sales of the original TLOU were bundles? You can't be serious. :p

I wonder why some people are so married to this game being a success, even when most people that played it hated the characters and everything points to it being a salea flop.

Is it because it's an LGBT game and it HAS to be successful no matter what?

Only people who call it a flop are people looking for reasons to hate the game.

People who report sales data don't agree with your statement. Maybe you have some secret data? Oh, you don't.

lol

Ellery

Best game I have ever played in my gaming life. Ever. I stopped gaming for a few weeks just to digest the epicenes of it.

Game is still a sales behemoth here in Europe BTW. Also the chart you're referring to does it include digital?

I felt exatly the same mate. The moment I finished that game I knew that Zelda Ocarina Of Time, Final Fantasy VII and Dark Souls had to make way for my new favorite game of all time.

Took a while until I could play other games again, because I was processing this masterpiece and it is hard to play other games after Naughty Dog games, because they are simply two steps above the rest.

Azurro

Banned
Neil Druckmann is Vice President of Naughty Dog now. Everything he has worked on has been a gigantic success and Sony is well aware of it.
He is probably going to be responsible for many more games. There is even a possibility that is going to take a higher up position at Sony eventually or being President at Naughty Dog and making even more decisions.

I hope he stays and brings us more games for many years to come. Naughty Dog is the very pinnacle of video games, especially on the technical side. I am glad that they have Neil Druckmann who can take the very best and most talented people the industry has to offer and turns things into a complex and emotional masterpiece on top of having the best animations, graphics and design.

Super excited for what ND are going to do next. Imagine a third person Neil Druckmann Sci Fi game exclusively for the PS5 that takes full advantage of the abilities of the technical team and brings us the best game we have ever seen wrapped in a beautiful story.

Would be a shame to be in the unfortunate situation of disliking Neil Druckmann or not having a Playstation console. Gaming has never been better.

Oh god, now that would be scary. Mandatory gag balls, strap ons, safe spaces and sex changes for everyone at Sony with constant gay sex moans in the hallways every day. 🤣🤣

Ok, being serious for a second, TLOU2 took a long time to come out, with delays and multiple reports of mismanagement.

Given the sales failure of the game on the long term, I'd be surprised if Sony doesn't do a review of Neil and Naughty Dog.

You don't tend to promote a guy once he's fucked up the production of a big title and had terrible reception with your audience. It doesn't make it better just because fucking it up was "on purpose".

Last edited:

Lupingosei

Banned
Only people who call it a flop are people looking for reasons to hate the game.

People who report sales data don't agree with your statement. Maybe you have some secret data? Oh, you don't.

lol

The Last of Us 2

Spiderman for example

or God of War

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I'm waiting until it is 5-10€, too much shit around it and if there is possibility that it is not a game/art, but stupid ass political brainwashing etc. I dont support that in gaming, which should not be about imaginary problems of some groups

Ellery

Oh god, now that would be scary. Mandatory gag balls, strap ons, safe spaces and sex changes for everyone at Sony. 🤣🤣

Ok, being serious for a second, TLOU2 took a long time to come out, with delays and multiple reports of mismanagement.

Given the sales failure of the game on the long term, I'd be surprised if Sony doesn't do a review of Neil and Naughty Dog.

You don't tend to promote a guy once he's fucked up the production of a big title and had terrible reception with your audience. It doesn't make it better just because fucking it up was "on purpose".

:messenger_smiling_with_eyes: Ok your mannered fashion of argumentation convinced me to take your side.

Kadayi

Banned
Best game I have ever played in my gaming life. Ever. I stopped gaming for a few weeks just to digest the epicenes of it.

I do like it when people come out of nowhere with these bold OTT superlatives, about what is quite categorically a divisive game for many, because it doesn't make the opposite viewpoint suddenly think 'Now I'm convinced. I was wrong all along. My bad' versus wonder what kind of dog-shit titles you must have been playing previously to think this car crash represents the pinnacle of gaming 🤔

Last edited:

Lupingosei

Banned
Now you're pulling game stats. Looks like you just watched a few YouTube videos and posted here.

It doesn't negate what I said.
Now you're pulling game stats. Looks like you just watched a few YouTube videos and posted here.

It doesn't negate what I said.

Really, even when both Spiderman and God of War have sold more at the same time in their lifecycle than Last of Us? Even when the initial sales of both games were lower, even when the game sells less on a day per day basis then both of those games now. Even with the game dropping out of the charts, it does not negate anything?

Are you serious?

Azurro

Banned
:messenger_smiling_with_eyes: Ok your mannered fashion of argumentation convinced me to take your side.

I'm not silly enough to think I'll convince you, since apparently you had an orgasm when playing this game, so I'm just having fun. ;)

By the way, how many genders do the new employees at Sony should have? I think at least three.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Its already sold millions though, which is the important thing. It will probably be another 10mil seller, like some other Sony exclusives, if it isnt there already.
Stuff like this is a bit small time, and i call it out when its Xbox related, and i'll do the same here.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Really, even when both Spiderman and God of War have sold more at the same time in their lifecycle than Last of Us? Even when the initial sales of both games were lower, even when the game sells less on a day per day basis then both of those games now. Even with the game dropping out of the charts, it does not negate anything?

Are you serious?

Spider-Man is a very popular franchise.
God of War also compared well in the UK, but it didn't have nearly the same amount of sales within the first 3 weeks in the UK. This mean could've taken
months for GoW to catch up to TLOU 2 sales in the UK, even if it had longer legs.

I also said before that TLOU is a conversational title, which was by design.

TLOU will likely make way more revenue than GoW and Spider-Man whenever they release TLOU MP.

TLOU surpassed Uncharted 4 in revenue in less than 3 weeks in the US. The game is a success regardless of how much you guys try to prove that the sales are not good.

TBiddy

Are there any solid numbers? I was under the impression that it selling like hot cakes, despite the unfortunate leak and the somewhat controversial story?

Redlancet

Banned
No the game is shit with agenda behind it. go defend it in reeera. they will love you there. people here just say the truth without worried of getting banned by trans mods just because we do not agree with them.

They killed the most important person in the game just to be led by an angry lesbian.

Nah, i despise the retards on era and point and laugh a bigoted people like you, its 2020 dude, the 50s are far behind

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
When you compare this to the first game; which sold 20 mil. Its a pretty fucking failure of a game.
It sold 20 mil across 2 platforms of which it was bundled a shit ton as well, wait to see what happens when it gets patched on ps5 and then releases with a multiplayer as well

Iced Arcade

It's a single player one and done game. Of course you hear more about ghost of tsushima, it's still relatively new and spiderman is a franchise that will sell regardless.

Can't believe people are that insecure over a set of big arms on a chick. Tlou2 is the best single player game I've played in years.

Last edited:
Spider-Man is a very popular franchise.
God of War also compared well in the UK, but it didn't have nearly the same amount of sales within the first 3 weeks in the UK. This mean could've taken
months for GoW to catch up to TLOU 2 sales in the UK, even if it had longer legs.

I also said before that TLOU is a conversational title, which was by design.

TLOU will likely make way more revenue than GoW and Spider-Man whenever they release TLOU MP.

TLOU surpassed Uncharted 4 in revenue in less than 3 weeks in the US. The game is a success regardless of how much you guys try to prove that the sales are not good.
It's a success, sure. But those bad legs are very concerning, particularly if they want to sell us a third game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom