• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 100 Hardest Video-Game Bosses, Ranked

flkraven

I would put an asterisks beside Skolas and say 'Without Gjallarhorn'

Ran with a group of 3 that didn't have Gally and learned his mechanics and had him locked down. Hearing that some people were burning him in seconds with fully Gjally shots just pissed me off.

Even though Beholders in Baldur's Gate aren't bosses they deserve top 10 hardest enemy encounters in a game, there's even a unique shield with the ability to reflect the Beholder's rays called Shield of Balduran. They can be legitimately impossible to defeat depending on your party composition and builds too.

SomTervo

I dunno. I beat O&S solo after 3 tries and I struggled with other bosses in older games.

Same, beat them for the first time the other week and it wasn't easy but there are definitely worse bosses. Got them in like 5-6 tries. Think Gaping Dragon took me more.

Neoweee

Nameless King No.3?

Is this a joke?

My No.1 pick would be Flamelurker and Maneater solo on your first playthrough, especially if Demon's Souls is your first Souls game.

Yeah, I didn't think Nameless King was really that hard. One of the few bosses in that game that I beat on my first try. By the time you get to him, you can have an absurd amount of HP. Like, Estus Ring and full upgrades gives you like 10+ full health bars to deal with him.

Fuck the Rebel Flagship from FTL. It essentially ruins the game for me. What would be a nice, fun game that rewards experimentation and messing around with different builds ends up a game that has a rather narrow set of things that work and things that don't, thanks to what is a rather difficult final boss fight.

xviper

The dragon from DS3 dlc is MUCH harder than the nameless king

Maneater is easy
if you killed the first one from behind the fog wall with arrows

MMO bosses are hardly fair. If you consider how many people you need, how much time and how perfect you have to play for something like mythic raiding final bosses in WoW I don't think there's much of a competition anywhere else. You can't simply outgrind the bosses either until the next content drop.

Out of a player base of millions there are currently slightly over a hundred guilds to have beaten the current hardest boss. That's 100 x 20 for how many players, give or take some reclears.

Ran with a group of 3 that didn't have Gally and learned his mechanics and had him locked down. Hearing that some people were burning him in seconds with fully Gjally shots just pissed me off.
That wouldn't have been the arc burn week as Gjally was be reduced damage and definitely not enough to undermine the fight. Fourth Horseman did trivialize the encounter with AB active (bubble up -> all 3 jump in and let loose) but it was rare for people to have it as it released with the expansion. That annoyed me in a similar way to your Gjally ones though, since without the FH it was a ridiculously gruelling challenge with the adds and forced movement.

Genuinely not sure why Crota is on the list though, said in the OT that at the very least Oryx was a much more complicated fight heading in blind and trying to figure it out.

vocab

Jaws from jaws and a mass effect 1 boss. Seeing these in a hardest boss list is pretty funny because they are both so trivial.

I'm really glad to see the second Riku battle from KH1 included so high up on this list. It took me and my brother all summer to defeat him when we were kids. Finally doing it was one of the greatest feelings I've ever gotten from gaming.

Toxi

Banned
The dragon from DS3 dlc is MUCH harder than the nameless king
Midir is really strategy dependent. If you try to fight him from between his legs, he'll take forever and fuck you up with the camera. If you stay right in front of the head and focus just on hitting that, he's tough, but nothing insane.

TBF though, even with Pestilent Mercury Midir isn't as much of a joke for magic builds as the Nameless King.

It's tricky to choose the "hardest" boss from Dark Souls 3. Unlike Bloodborne where the top ones are obvious (Orphan, Ludwig, Defiled Watchdog, Laurence), Dark Souls 3 has some more subjective ones that can be made much easier by just knowing the right strategy. I've seen people put Gael, Midir, Friede, the Nameless King, Soul of Cinder, Pontiff Sullyvahn, the Dancer, the Demon Prince, and the Twin Princes all on the hardest list, but I've seen them all fall below that too. Probably the most consistently considered the hardest is Sister Friede, so I guess she wins? I struggled hard with her my first time playing through the DLC, but she's now a speed bump I usually clear in one try. Can't say the same for Orphan of Kos or Fume Knight.

entremet

Mushihimesama. The purple things are bullets. Bullets are one-hit kills.

Protip: Dodge!

The hurtboxes for those bullets are much smaller. Cave stuff can look much harder to those without experience.

Also, I remember your ship may have some shield mechanics that you can employ for those sequences. Been a while. I played on iOS and those ports are no longer playable :(

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Mushihimesama. The purple things are bullets. Bullets are one-hit kills.

Protip: Dodge!

Not that I'm saying it isn't still insanely difficult, but for people who haven't played any Cave games it's important to point out that your hit box is tiny, and that the games intentionally slow down to give you more time to manoeuvre.

It has been years since I played any, but in general Pink Sweets kicked my arse all over the place much more than Mushi Futari did.

reKon

Banned
hqdefault.jpg

Nope.

Wtf is this shit.

If you're going to count songs in a rhythm game as bosses, then you might as well rename this list to top 100 hardest rhythm game songs, because the truth is, those things can get insane.

Yuuuup. Also, TTFaF isn't even that hard compared to some of the stuff on Rock Band, even. That's not even getting into stuff from Japanese rhythm games. Hell, half the songlist in a modern IIDX game is harder than TTFaF.

entremet

Yuuuup. Also, TTFaF isn't even that hard compared to some of the stuff on Rock Band, even. That's not even getting into stuff from Japanese rhythm games. Hell, half the songlist in a modern IIDX game is harder than TTFaF.

Consider the audience. Would their readers even know of IIDX? While GH was a gaming phenom in the West. TTFaF was probably the first well-known super hard GH song.

Renkax

I would like to consider Ultron-sigma on very high Difficulty to the list because of Teleports and one combo string that can kill you

Nameless King No.3?

Is this a joke?

My No.1 pick would be Flamelurker and Maneater solo on your first playthrough, especially if Demon's Souls is your first Souls game.

Maneater is a joke lol. I can't believe people call it a hard fight because it's two things in a small area.

Black phantom Rydell is the actual hardest Demons boss.

ActWan

No boss was ever as difficult to me as Laurence from Bloodborne DLC. He took me about 50 tries until I finally gave up and beat him with a friend.

Donos

Putting soulsbourne bosses up there is not really good. Someone going completely overleveled into a boss, with a +10 weapon will have a completely different experience as others.

Consider the audience. Would their readers even know of IIDX? While GH was a gaming phenom in the West. TTFaF was probably the first well-known super hard GH song.
Also consider the writer. I doubt they played IIDX.

Both true. As far as games released (and popular) in the West, DDR still made a splash. The boss songs from DDR Supernova 2 are still considered extremely hard (I'm looking at you Paranoia Hades CSP) and are physically taxing to play. That counts for a lot more than some of these encounters, I would think.

Toxi

Banned
Maneater is a joke lol. I can't believe people call it a hard fight because it's two things in a small area.

Black phantom Rydell is the actual hardest Demons boss.
Nah, black phantom Selen Vinland.

She has an unblockable weapon, is fought on a tiny patch of land in a sea of mud you can't roll in (but she can), can heal, and can cast anti-magic field.

Basically, she has every unfair advantage possible. She's like the Meat Cleaver black phantom, but worse.

Pure Black World Tendency 5-2 is a bitch.

Onivulk

Banned
Having played through dark souls multiple times, Ornstein & Smough have become easy but, Capra Demon will always fuck me at least 3 times.

MilkBeard

I know the list is opinion, but of the entries that I've played, I disagree with many of them and their location on the list.

Eh, what can I say. Difficulty is often a subjective thing.

One thing of note is that I disagree with the opening opinion that bosses are becoming irrelevant. I wonder if this writer plays many Japanese games; the relevancy of bosses depends on how much the developers put attention and focus to them. Great bosses are game-defining experiences and will never lose relevancy if developers put proper work into them. I mean, From Software is the shining example (in most cases).

Putting soulsbourne bosses up there is not really good. Someone going completely overleveled into a boss, with a +10 weapon will have a completely different experience as others.

I mean, you can say that about many of the RPG bosses on the list. We can assume that the 'normal route' to the boss (without excessive grinding) will lead to the optimal experience.

Yeh, I've been reading the list from a "going in blind at recommended level" perspective. When you're geared and levelled past them, or just know the fight, a number of the bosses on the list become extremely trivial.

SOME-MIST

The hurtboxes for those bullets are much smaller. Cave stuff can look much harder to those without experience.

Also, I remember your ship may have some shield mechanics that you can employ for those sequences. Been a while. I played on iOS and those ports are no longer playable :(

no shield mechanics but there is invincibility on bomb. but if you use a bomb on that specific boss the boss has a shield to negate any bomb damage.

also the iOS version is garbage since you can move the ship as fast as your finger moves. there's also the ability to turn on autobomb which isn't available in the arcade version, which initiates a bomb as soon as you hit a bullet. If you hit a bullet in the arcade game you die and lose your current bomb stock for that life.

best versions to play would be PCB, xbox 360 (region locked) or PC

zoodoo

This is the equivalent of playing a labyrinth game. Reason why i dont like bullet hell games. The whole concept boils down to: navigate through a tiny labyrinth while holding the shoot button. Sometimes you dont even realize what the boss looks like cause all you are looking at is the path to follow.

Top Bottom