• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2-player Joy-Con game potential of the Nintendo Switch, such as Cookie & Cream

rL6mhIk.png

I think this may be the biggest gameplay hook of the Switch (not counting the whole hybrid bit). The Switch as we know has the Joy-Con controllers that detach from the screen and you have 2-player local multiplayer not just out of the box, but anywhere you go.

So that brings me to consider, just what cool ideas can we brainstorm? What franchises would be perfect for this? First that came to mind; Cookie & Cream by From Software.

tnuRWTv.jpg

From what I've seen, it features two characters on both sides of the screen in a puzzle platformer where each have to cooperate with each other to make it to the goal.

That seems brilliant for the Switch in theory.

But what other ideas can we come up with?

I just came up with a similar concept for maybe a Sonic & Tails co-op platformer as well on Switch. I mean hey, Sega wanted to experiment with Sonic Lost World on Wii U, how about doing the same on Switch, but make it GOOD! :p

Sort of take the Cookie & Cream formula, maybe have some kind of team-based gameplay not unlike Sonic Heroes, and I think you may have a really cool idea for a sure to happen Switch-exclusive Sonic game. Get Arzest and Prope on the job, you know, devs formed by two of his creators and have worked directly with Nintendo before. ;)

What about you guys?

georly

What would make the switch having 2 player local co-op different from any other platform with local co-op, gameplay-wise? Yeah, it's on the go, but I don't see how that makes room for new gameplay mechanics that wouldn't be there on a normal console on the tv. Or if you're linking up 2 switch systems, how that's any different than what DS/3DS/psp did for local co-op.

Like, should we just list every couch co-op game or something?

Or for games where you link up 2 or more switch systems, games that have online multiplayer?

Like, yes, it's neat switch can do this, but I don't see what switch is doing that couldn't already be done on existing hardware.

What would make the switch having 2 player local co-op different from any other platform with local co-op, gameplay-wise? Yeah, it's on the go, but I don't see how that makes room for new gameplay mechanics that wouldn't be there on a normal console on the tv. Or if you're linking up 2 switch systems, how that's any different than what DS/3DS/psp did for local co-op.
Star Fox Zero-esque shenanigans

Platy

Power Stone is perfect. Uses few buttons, moves on a 3d enviroment and everyone is at screen always.

Also beat em ups !

Nobody said new gameplay mechanics ... OP just asked what games would be awesome to play 2p on the go.

georly

Star Fox Zero-esque shenanigans

That specifically required the use of two distinct screens, not just two controllers. Not something you can do in the same way on switch unless you have 2 systems (which, then, technically, could have been done on 3DS, since it also had gyro)

My point is, other than 'i can play this somewhere that's not my living room,' this offers no new technology around which to build your game mechanics.

Power Stone is perfect. Uses few buttons, moves on a 3d enviroment and everyone is at screen always.

Also beat em ups !

Nobody said new gameplay mechanics ... OP just asked what games would be awesome to play 2p on the go.

So just list all the good couch co-op games of the last 30 years then?

Platy

Towerfall switch edition. Please. :(

As much as I love towerfall and trust me I really do, I am not sure it will be a good idea to play a game with such small characters in such a small display.

Maybe if they can make an 8 player version they can make a 1x1 version ?

Timeaisis

Or for games where you link up 2 or more switch systems, games that have online multiplayer?

Like, yes, it's neat switch can do this, but I don't see what switch is doing that couldn't already be done on existing hardware.

Not much in terms of gameplay, but 2-player local gaming becomes incredibly more accessible. Switch is out-of-the-box 2-player gaming. No extra controllers. No extra hardware. And it's completely portable. That's crazy.

Speaking of new gameplay mechanics, if the joy cons have motion sensors, you can have Johhan Sebastian Joust like shenanigans going on, which frankly just doesn't work in a small room, but is perfect outside.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I want fighters and side scrolling beat-em-ups. Smash Bros is a nice start to get things rolling.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english

Also beat em ups !

I was just thinking this yesterday. A lot of Dreamcast games would work perfectly in that scenario.

I think the idea is that the type of games that are good for a small screen are typically not split screen multiplayer games, as they make the screen even smaller. So what kind of non-split screen multiplayer games would work well with joycons, I guess, is the question.

I bet that will be the trademark Nintendo gimmick that nobody ever uses or likes, like the waggle, the 3D or the GamePad.

Speak for yourself, off-TV play was by far the best innovation in gaming over the past 20 years for me.

As much as I love towerfall and trust me I really do, I am not sure it will be a good idea to play a game with such small characters in such a small display.

Maybe if they can make an 8 player version they can make a 1x1 version ?

I think it would work great. If you can play Mario kart with half that screen you can play Towerfall with the whole thing.

rdaneel72

You're burying the lead.

Switch will be the first console in 20 years that has two controllers included. Multiplayer right out of the box, without having to buy a second controller.

Nothing too complex, but enough for my wife and I to play Mario Kart or Mario Party together right out of the box. That's gotta be worth something.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I bet that will be the trademark Nintendo gimmick that nobody ever uses or likes, like the waggle, the 3D or the GamePad.
It's probably going to be the top feature of the Switch in the eyes of many people besides the hybrid functionality. Personally, I can see the console selling like crazy partially because of the what will be possible because of the Joy Cons.

You're burying the lead.

Switch will be the first console in 20 years that has two controllers included. Multiplayer right out of the box, without having to buy a second controller.

Nothing too complex, but enough for my wife and I to play Mario Kart or Mario Party together right out of the box. That's gotta be worth something.

That's an interesting point. I'm just so excited for the ease of bringing this thing anywhere and leting friends jump in hassle free

Platy

It is a console that has a build in word of mouth feature.

You take the switch somewhere, invite someone to play and BOOM another person now knows what is the switch and why it is awesome

I think it would work great. If you can play Mario kart with half that screen you can play Towerfall with the whole thing.

yeha but we are playing mario kart with a small display divided in 2 since the SNES days =P

javadoze

hqdefault.jpg

Retro Game Challenge, but on the Switch. The simplified controls of the separate Joy-cons would be great for the retraux games and more 2-player games.

But for the love of god, get indieszero back for the next iteration.

Depending on how many controllers can be paired to it, the Switch would make a great board game / party game option. Set the screen up on a dining room table with some kind of trivia game or Wario Ware type deal.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
You're burying the lead.

I didn't even think about this before. It will be interesting to see what games take advantage of this aspect at launch.

Allforce

I asked in another Switch thread but is every game going to have a "joy-con compatible" mode? Like a simplified control scheme to work on those tiny controllers? And if not, will 3rd party developers even bother? They show NBA 2K17 in the trailer being played on a tiny screen with 4 players using the split joycons but little else. Lots of questions.

Also, is there any confirmation that you can even use the joy-con controllers while the system is docked? I don't remember seeing anyone playing with the tiny split controllers while on a TV in the reveal, just on the small handheld screen at various locations.

I can see that being a Nintendo-ass thing where they don't allow it for some reason and we all just shrug our shoulders at the explanation and go "because Nintendo!"

Air

Banned
I think the best thing about this is a greater attention to local multiplayer. So we can have nice online multiplayer along with great local multi (like we had before Xbox live)

I have a feeling this feature will be hardly utilized, outside of first party games. Remember the promise of asymmetrical play on Wii U? Penny Arcade even did a comic on it. But I can't even think of a title, other than Nintendoland, that actually used it.

Heck, it would have been a perfect opportunity for Namco to port Pacman Versus, which was amazing on Gamecube and used the same concept, but of course that didn't even happen either.

Clessidor

DS/3DS/psp co-op needs both players to have at least their own device. Sometitmes even the same cope of the game.
The Switch is designed in a way, where every owner will automaticly have everything they need for 2-player Joy-Con-Co-Op. Nothing you have to buy seperatly.

So I can see an advantage for developers. Mostly for Indies & Switch exclusive. Because they wouldn't have to worry that much anymore if players will be able to use some 2-player functions.
Just think about Nidhogg. That game is designed for local multiplayer only. It's on the Vita. But how high is the chance to use the local multiplayer?
Very low, I guess. Right? So why would you buy it for it.

On the Switch on the other hand it would be much easier. You just need to find somebody willing to play, give him one Joy-Con and you are ready to start.

SkyOdin

I wouldn't mind seeing Nintendo make a new Custom Robo. The Gamecube game was a lot of fun and the single-screen multiplayer fits the bill perfectly.

PSFan

Honestly, to me those Joy-Con controllers look uncomfortable as hell to use. Really small and possibly cramp inducing. It reminds me of the sideways Wii-Remote. I could never get comfortable using it that way so I really hated it.

I can't ever me using the Joy-Cons by themselves like that. Can multiplayer games be played with multiple switches like multiplayer is done on the 3DS?

udivision

You're burying the lead.

I guess that's worth $40.
But a sideways JoyCon (especially with how the buttons are placed) looks really terrible to play with so I don't think I'd bother with that.

Top Bottom