• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 22 Marvel movies of the MCU Infinity Saga, ranked by Polygon

Kadayi

Banned

tumblr_n08pil5HdH1rd1qi0o1_500.gif

Holy shit. I'm not going to spoil it for you, but put it this way: Thor: The Dark World > Avengers: Infinity War :pie_eyeroll:

Last edited:
lol. (At the list)

On a personal note;

I feel like it would take way too long to sincerely rank all 22, for me. Just picking my Top 5 is hard enough.

Definitely Ragnarok, Iron-Man 1, and Winter Soldier in there. So hard to round out the other two

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
I did this quiz the other day and the results it gave me were pretty decent:

Ohh good find. My list (best to worst): -

1. Avengers: Infinity War
  2. Guardians of the Galaxy
  3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  4. Captain America: Civil War
  5. Avengers: Endgame
  6. Ant-Man
  7. Doctor Strange
  8. Iron Man
  9. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  10. The Avengers
  11. Captain America: The First Avenger
  12. Thor: Ragnarok
  13. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  14. Thor
  15. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  16. Thor: The Dark World
  17. Iron Man 3
  18. Iron Man 2
  19. The Incredible Hulk
  20. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  21. Black Panther
  22. Captain Marvel

Mista

Banned
I got used to seeing garbage lists so this didn’t surprise me at all. Let alone it’s coming from polygon

Ohh good find. My list (best to worst): -

5. Avengers: Endgame
  6. Ant-Man
  7. Doctor Strange
  8. Iron Man
  9. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  10. The Avengers
  11. Captain America: The First Avenger
  14. Thor
  15. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  17. Iron Man 3
  18. Iron Man 2
  19. The Incredible Hulk
  20. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  21. Black Panther
  22. Captain Marvel
Nice! Here's mine:

MCU Infinity Saga - Result
  1. Avengers: Endgame
  2. Captain America: Civil War
  3. Avengers: Infinity War
  4. The Avengers
  5. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  6. Thor: Ragnarok
  7. Captain America: The First Avenger
  8. Guardians of the Galaxy
  9. Doctor Strange
  10. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  11. Iron Man
  12. Captain Marvel
  13. Thor
  14. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  15. Iron Man 2
  16. Black Panther
  17. Ant-Man
  18. Iron Man 3
  19. Thor: The Dark World
  20. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  21. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  22. The Incredible Hulk
Spider-Man might be a great movie but I don't like spidey :(

Oh and LOL @ Shitgon's list as usual

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
  5. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  6. Avengers: Endgame
  7. The Avengers
  8. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  9. Captain America: The First Avenger
  10. Iron Man
  11. Black Panther
  14. Thor
  15. Ant-Man
  16. Doctor Strange
  17. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  18. Iron Man 3
  19. Captain Marvel
  20. Iron Man 2
  21. Thor: The Dark World
  22. The Incredible Hulk

kunonabi

after doing a rewatch leading to endgame

Tier 1:

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
2. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
3.Guardians of the Galaxy
4. Black Panther
5. Avengers: Age of Ultron
6. Avengers: Infinity War
7. Ant-Man

Tier 2:

8. Captain America: The First Avenger
9. Iron Man
10. The Avengers
11. Doctor Strange
12. Captain America: Civil War
13. Thor
14. Ant-Man and the Wasp
15. Iron Man 3

Tier 3:

17. Avengers: Endgame
18. Thor: Ragnarok
19. Iron Man 2
20. Captain Marvel

Tier 4:

21. The Incredible Hulk

Refuse to watch
Tom Holland: Homecoming

Infinity War is better than Ultron I just personally prefer the latter is all. This is probably how my list will stay although I have been leaning towards dropping Captain Marvel a spot and I do need to see Endgame a second time.

after doing a rewatch leading to endgame

Tier 1:

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
2. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
3.Guardians of the Galaxy
4. Black Panther
5. Avengers: Age of Ultron
6. Avengers: Infinity War
7. Ant-Man

Tier 2:

8. Captain America: The First Avenger
9. Iron Man
10. The Avengers
11. Doctor Strange
12. Captain America: Civil War
13. Thor
14. Ant-Man and the Wasp
15. Iron Man 3

Tier 3:

17. Avengers: Endgame
18. Thor: Ragnarok
19. Iron Man 2
20. Captain Marvel

Tier 4:

21. The Incredible Hulk

Refuse to watch
Tom Holland: Homecoming

Infinity War is better than Ultron I just personally prefer the latter is all. This is probably how my list will stay although I have been leaning towards dropping Captain Marvel a spot and I do need to see Endgame a second time.

I love your Tier 1 picks. My only differences would be Iron man and Ragnarok (which it seems you didn't enjoy, unfortunately) in there.

kunonabi

A lot of you seem to not care for Homecoming very much. Why not? I thought that movie was dope.
My primary problem is I don't really consider it to be a Spider-Man movie. It's just too far removed from classic 616 Parker with too many alterations and things borrowed from Ultimate Spider-Man. Couple that with them fucking up MJ again and my complete disinterest in the Papa Iron Man angle and teenage Spidey and you get a movie that just isn't for me. The film basically excises everything I loved about the character growing up.

I love your Tier 1 picks. My only differences would be Iron man and Ragnarok (which it seems you didn't enjoy, unfortunately) in there.

Iron Man probably should be up there. It's a movie that gets better every time I watch it.

Ragnarok is purely a casualty of the humor not being for me and Tessa Thompson's Valkryie being awful. Humor can be pretty hit or miss so I can totally understand why everyone else likes it especially with how great the production design and score is. Had the movie been less comedic, cast a different actress as Valkyrie, and focused more on Hela in Asgard it probably would have been a top 5 movie for me easy.

My primary problem is I don't really consider it to be a Spider-Man movie. It's just too far removed from classic 616 Parker with too many alterations and things borrowed from Ultimate Spider-Man. Couple that with them fucking up MJ again and my complete disinterest in the Papa Iron Man angle and teenage Spidey and you get a movie that just isn't for me. The film basically excises everything I loved about the character growing up.
#NotMyPeter

Azzurri

LMAO, the first Captain America was probably the worst one. Now the Winter Soldier was one of my favorites.

My top 5 are
1.Winter Soldier
2. GoTG 1 and 2 pretty close
3. Thor Rag
4. Iron Man
5. Dr Strange

Last edited:

Fbh

Yeah that has to be a clickbait article. They know people will share it just because of how bad it is

We should use something like that to come up with the official GAF rankings for the MCU.

This turned out pretty good (haven't seen End Game but since it asks "which would you rather see right now" I guess it still counts):
  • Avengers: Endgame
  • Avengers: Infinity War
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Thor: Ragnarok
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  • The Avengers
  • Doctor Strange
  • Iron Man
  • Captain America: Civil War
  • Ant-Man
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp
  • Spider-Man: Homecoming
  • Captain America: The First Avenger
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron
  • Black Panther
  • Captain Marvel
  • Iron Man 3
  • The Incredible Hulk
  • Thor
  • Iron Man 2
  • Thor: The Dark World

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Only Guardians Volume 2 means anything to me and it's not even in the top 5. List is bad. At least they know Iron Man 2 is bad.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Sigh, sometimes I feel like the only one who likes iron man 2. In fact, iron man 2 > iron man 3.

1. Infinity war
2. Black panther
3. Captain america winter soldier
4. Captain marvel
5. Captain America civil war / avengers end game

highrider

Banned
Any list that doesn't have The Winter Soldier on top spot is garbage.

Yeah I think Winter Soldier stands far above any other Marvel film, although I hold GOTG in pretty high esteem for its creativity. One thing I find generally lacking in Marvel is quality action scenes and performances. Winter Soldier makes something like Black Panther almost laughable in terms of action. The Marvel films are good at big, epic action stuff, but there’s rarely any sense of menace or danger. Winter Soldier changed all of that.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
I give them some respect for putting Cap at number 1. I am a huge fan of it and will defend to my grave, but I wouldn't put it at number 1.

1. Avengers
2. Iron Man 1
3. Avengers IW
4. Winter Soldier
5. Civil War
6. First Avenger
7. GOTG
8. Rangnorok
9. Thor
10. GOTG 2
11. Avengers 2
12. IM3
14. IM2
15. Black Panther
16. Dr. Strange
17. AntMan
18. AntMan 2
19. Spiderman
20. CM
21. Thor 2
22. Hulk

I give them some respect for putting Cap at number 1. I am a huge fan of it and will defend to my grave, but I wouldn't put it at number 1.

1. Avengers
2. Iron Man 1
3. Avengers IW
4. Winter Soldier
5. Civil War
6. First Avenger
7. GOTG
8. Rangnorok
9. Thor
10. GOTG 2
11. Avengers 2
12. IM3
14. IM2
15. Black Panther
16. Dr. Strange
17. AntMan
18. AntMan 2
19. Spiderman
20. CM
21. Thor 2
22. Hulk

IM3 is a movie I hated when I first saw it, like I walked out of the theater literally shaking my head, but as time has gone on I appreciate it more. It would have been bottom of my list at first watch but today I probably put it right where you do.

JimiNutz

Banned
IM3 is a movie I hated when I first saw it, like I walked out of the theater literally shaking my head, but as time has gone on I appreciate it more. It would have been bottom of my list at first watch but today I probably put it right where you do.

Maybe I need to re-watch this.
Iron Man 3 is one of the few Marvel movies that I skipped at the cinema and watched at home. I remember being really underwhelmed by it and thinking it was just above average at best (like 6/10). I'm not a huge Iron Man fan in general but maybe I should re-watch.

cryptoadam

Banned

Ironman 3 and 2 are carried by RDJ thats why they rank where they rank. Even if the rest of the movie isn't that great, he is enough to raise them up over the other movies who don't have an actor with as much charisma.

Its why I put Thor 1 so high. Chris Hemsworth nails the role and has so much star power and sets up Thors arc till Endgame.

Most of these Marvel movies outside the top 7 or so are pretty much the same and cookie cutter. Its a good formula, in the end they are usually carried by the main hero.

cryptoadam

Banned
Maybe I need to re-watch this.
Iron Man 3 is one of the few Marvel movies that I skipped at the cinema and watched at home. I remember being really underwhelmed by it and thinking it was just above average at best (like 6/10). I'm not a huge Iron Man fan in general but maybe I should re-watch.

Its an interesting one because we see a lot of Tony outside the suite and he is dealing with the aftermath of New York and Avengers 1. Also enjoyment of the movie I think rests a lot on the twist. If you liked it then the movie works a lot more. If you hate it then it pretty much ruins the whole movie.

sol_bad

We should use something like that to come up with the official GAF rankings for the MCU.

My list based on that quiz. It's slightly unfair though as I chose Captain Marvel over some of my favourites simply because it's a newer film that I have seen less of.

01: Avengers: Endgame
02: Avengers: Infinity War
03: Captain America: Civil War
04: Black Panther
05: Captain America: The Winter Soldier
06: Thor: Ragnarok
07: Captain Marvel
08: Spider-Man: Homecoming
09: The Avengers
10: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
11: Avengers: Age of Ultron
12: Guardians of the Galaxy
13: Iron Man
14: Ant-Man and the Wasp
15: Doctor Strange
16: Ant-Man
17: Iron Man 3
18: Iron Man 2
19: Thor
20: Captain America: The First Avenger
21: The Incredible Hulk
22: Thor: The Dark World

kunonabi

I love IM3 up until the Mandarin reveal. Killain was a completely uninteresting villain and the super pepper stuff at the end was terrible. It drags the whole movie down for me.

LOLCats

Banned
  • Thor: Ragnarok
  • The Avengers
  • Captain America: The First Avenger
  • Avengers: Infinity War
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  • Avengers: Endgame
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron
  • Thor
  • Thor: The Dark World
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  • Captain America: Civil War
  • Iron Man 3
  • Ant-Man
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp
  • Iron Man
  • Spider-Man: Homecoming
  • Iron Man 2
  • Doctor Strange
  • Black Panther
  • The Incredible Hulk
  • Captain Marvel

sol_bad

I love IM3 up until the Mandarin reveal. Killain was a completely uninteresting villain and the super pepper stuff at the end was terrible. It drags the whole movie down for me.

It was badass, not stupid. She looked damn hawt in that pose and get-up.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Interesting. I tried not to think about it too much and answered as fast and on impulse as much as possible. Endgame is probably higher than it should be because it's new, and I've only seen it once, and I actually do want to see it again soon.

2. Avengers: Endgame
  3. Captain America: Civil War
  4. The Avengers
  5. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  6. Iron Man
  7. Thor: Ragnarok
  8. Guardians of the Galaxy
  9. Black Panther
  10. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  11. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  12. Doctor Strange
  13. Iron Man 3
  14. Iron Man 2
  15. Ant-Man
  16. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  17. Captain America: The First Avenger
  18. Thor
  19. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  20. Thor: The Dark World
  21. Captain Marvel
  22. The Incredible Hulk

JimiNutz

Banned
Its an interesting one because we see a lot of Tony outside the suite and he is dealing with the aftermath of New York and Avengers 1. Also enjoyment of the movie I think rests a lot on the twist. If you liked it then the movie works a lot more. If you hate it then it pretty much ruins the whole movie.

I remember not being that opposed to the twist and thought it was one of the better parts of the film. I guess I just don't like the Tony Stark character that much and I find his action scenes boring.

sol_bad

I'll be honest, when I first watched the Iron Man 3, learning that Ben Kingsley was just a drug addicted actorrrr was really disheartening and it was hard for me to enjoy the film after that point. I was really excited to see the real Mandarin on the big screen, I was curious as to how they'd to his 10 rings. This was just after Avengers and cosmic/magic elements had not been introduced to the MCU yet. This movie basically taught me never to go in to an MCU film with any expectations. Don't create theories and don't think that just because it's in the comics will mean it's in the films.

After many subsequent watches however, it's a really darn good film and really is a good closing chapter for the Tony Stark character. Obviously they explored his character further and he became even better but if IM3 was his final film I'd still be satisfied with his arc.

The MK42 suit was also dumb on my first viewing, totally dumb that it falls apart so easily. In retrospect it makes for some great action set pieces. The final set piece with all the suits is one of the coolest parts of the whole MCU.

pimentel1

Banned
1. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
2. Thor: Ragnarok
3. The Avengers
4. Avengers Infinity War
5. Guardians of the Galaxy
6. Captain America Winter Soldier
7. Avengers Endgame
8. Captain America Civil War
9. Ant-Man
10. Iron Man