• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The $25 PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hey, that is the guy who made Roller Coaster Tycoon. I have full confidence in this device.

Edit: oh wait, he only ported it to the Xbox and made some expansions. I was thinking of Chris Sawyer.

clav

Drkirby said:
One thing I wonder, just what powers the device though?
HDMI provides 5V although looking at the pictures it's either the USB or some blue soldered wires that are connected to a USB hub, which provides 5V.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Drkirby said:
One thing I wonder, just what powers the device though?

Standard plug, I'd wager.

This is huge if it gets a proper thumb-drive case and you were able to find an HDMI compatible input wherever you go. Minus the lack of ability to save to it (unless there's onboard flash memory, but that's not really a good alt. to a harddrive, IMO), it's a good portable computer for web-browsing and light office work on the go.

Moppet13

Drkirby said:
Hey, that is the guy who made Roller Coaster Tycoon. I have full confidence in this device.

Edit: oh wait, he only ported it to the Xbox and made some expansions. I was thinking of Chris Sawyer.
How dare you get my hopes up like that!

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Drkirby said:

what is Chris Sawyer doing nowadays anyway? the guy is genius but just disappeared after RCT.

man, I wish he was still making games.

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Absolutely incredible. Advancements in this form factor can have a big impact on education in third world nations.
way better than the notebooks they were developing a few years back.

Trent Strong said:
Can you do anything with 128MB of ram? Wouldn't this thing be so weak as to be almost worthless?

It's probably in the same power range as computers from the late 90s. Anything you could do with those you can do with this. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a big third world thing since at minimum it gives you word processing, internet (if available), calculations (spreadsheets, math programs etc) and some entertainment stuff.

What about storage? the article doesn't mention that.

Still, in a year or 3-4 this could be very cool.

Imagine a decent arm dual core, 512 MB RAM, 16-32GB flash memory, a tiny flash card slot, 2x mini usb, and a half decent tegra esque gpu all for like 50 dollars at that size...

That would actually be very usable for work, browsing, youtube and whatever else joe average uses their computer for.

NovemberMike said:
It's probably in the same power range as computers from the late 90s. Anything you could do with those you can do with this. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a big third world thing since at minimum it gives you word processing, internet (if available), calculations (spreadsheets, math programs etc) and some entertainment stuff.

Oh yeah, I didn't think about third world countries. Computers this cheap could be a big help.

blame space said:
i can't wait until everything has a computer in it

i'm not buying a new pair of shoes until they have at least 512k of RAM

You'll never need more than 256k in shoes, trust me.

Zaptruder

Banned
Cool. But... so what?

I suppose if you integrate a leatherman or swiss army knife into it, you could brag about having a computer... knife.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
in reality this is really only useful for cell phone stuff. i dont see it practical to have to assume you have a monitor to plug this in somewhere wherever you go.

davepoobond said:
in reality this is really only useful for cell phone stuff. i dont see it practical to have to assume you have a monitor to plug this in somewhere wherever you go.
It's a cool concept but the execution is all wrong for commercial use. It should have a male HDMI connector and a bluetooth receiver in-place of the USB port. That way the entire device is simply a dongle you plug into a TV/monitor. It's small enough!

Plug it into your TV, pull out your bluetooth mouse and you're set. No need to lug around HDMI cables and wired mice.

claviertekky said:
Comes with two USB plugs. You need another USB port to power the hub itself. The other plug is to power the keyboard.

You are not reading that right at all. If you've ever used a Mac, it's just like that. You plug the keyboard into the PC with the built-in usb cable, and the keyboard draws power from the pc and powers two ADDITIONAL usb ports on the side of the keyboard that you can plug two devices into.

Red

It's novel, but what's the memory capacity? Mentions office applications in that article, but how can you save them? It says it can handle web browsing as well, but how? Is there a wireless chip
in there?

Nevermind about memory -- see now that it includes an SD card slot. Would buy. That's a neat gadget.

daviyoung

Banned
D4Danger said:
what is Chris Sawyer doing nowadays anyway? the guy is genius but just disappeared after RCT.

man, I wish he was still making games.

From his wikipedia page:

Sawyer also served as a consultant for Atari in the development of RollerCoaster Tycoon 3. In November 2005, Sawyer sued Atari, claiming that they had failed to pay him certain royalties. Sawyer and Atari settled out of court for an undisclosed amount in February 2008.

He probably doesn't need to make another game in his life.

Iksenpets

Banned
I agree with the thoughts on third world applications for this kind of thing. Cheap old Nokia phones have done wonders bringing communications to the world's poor, cheap computers like this could take that to the next level.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Zaptruder said:
I suppose if you integrate a leatherman or swiss army knife into it, you could brag about having a computer... knife.
Now you make it sound like the background of an 80's tv super hero.

Charles Zenith solves crime with his computer knife! (Of course the computer knife would shoot lasers...)

Binabik15

Raspberry Pi Foundation

The Raspberry Pi Foundation is a UK registered charity (Registration Number 1129409) which exists to promote the study of computer science and related topics, especially at school level, and to put the fun back into learning computing.

We plan to develop, manufacture and distribute an ultra-low-cost computer, for use in teaching computer programming to children. We expect this computer to have many other applications both in the developed and the developing world.

Our first product is about the size of a USB key, and is designed to plug into a TV or be combined with a touch screen for a low cost tablet. The expected price is $25 for a fully-configured system.

How would you use an ultra-low-cost computer? Do you have open-source educational software we can use? Contact us at info@raspberrypi.org.

*Salutes*

The concept is incredibly neat. Instead of a 600+$ smartphone you get a 25$ pc, which will be much better to teach needed skills for data input etc. A few updates might be needed before they find the perfect mixture of usb wi-fi, bluetooth and power connections at the tiny form factor for low cost.

Make a postcard sized solar powered netbook next, please, for complete global saturation.

PS: With OLED you might carry a 12 inches or bigger fold-out/roll-out monitor in your pocket in a few years.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
2th said:
make it have two micro usb ports and then find me a keyboard and mouse that use micro usb and this would be a freaking winner.

unified wireless receiver which would mean you could run a mouse and keyboard off it, and hide it around the back of your TV/monitor.

power from HDMI?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
designed for developing countries, but requires a HDMI enabled TV/monitor? And what specific requirement do developing countries have for it being so tiny?

moojito

I'd definitely get one of these. The last time my pc died on me I was stuck without any kind of internet access for ages. Something like this would be awesome as a backup.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
speculawyer said:
Cool but I wouldn't call it a 'PC'. Although that is vague term, I'd say that it implies something that can run Windows.

cause of those ads? I mean, Macs can run Windows too...

oh, sorry for the pointless bump...

levious said:
oh, sorry for the pointless bump...

Not too pointless -- this thing is right down my alley and I almost totally missed it! Due in part of you, I was able to properly geek out. :)

Trent Strong said:
Can you do anything with 128MB of ram? Wouldn't this thing be so weak as to be almost worthless?

On my sheevaplug (a $99 tiny-ish server), I am running pidgin, medit (a kate-like text editor that I use to keep my calendar/todo list, my class project notes and a scratch pad to write neogaf posts because I'm paranoid about browsers crashing and eating what I've typed), and nethack. Thi computer also runs a proxy server (squid), an email aggregator (getmail), spam filter (procmail/spamassassin), imap server (courier), and a caching DNS server (pdnsd). All this takes up 88MB.

It would be interesting to see how well this particular device functions as a media player. I'm currently using a Wii and a reconditioned WD TV Live to remotely play video files from my desktop computer to other floors of the house, and I'm interested in smaller, cheaper, more configurable devices that can fill the same role.

I'm a little skeptical that they'll reach anywhere near that $25 target within the stated 12 month time frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom