• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2nd Super Robot War OGs |OT| 2D meets HD meets giant robots! Now in Japanese!

Souther

Banned
Well just got my order in right now. Ordered from Ami-Ami and it actually came with the book.
Kinda surprised. So I guess there is hope for people that ordered from them.

I guess I'll keep it sealed and i wanna still play some more of SRWZ2.2 so I'll get around to this in the next couple days.

Shouta

Man, it's surprisingly difficult to kill retreating boss characters without properly setting it up. At least with the majority of your characters not having upgrades.

Man, it's surprisingly difficult to kill retreating boss characters without properly setting it up. At least with the majority of your characters not having upgrades.

Upgrading your units shouldn't be a problem with all the cash they throw at you. I am sitting on 360K on stage 14 right now because I haven't really needed to upgrade anything other than Cybuster.

Unless its a stage similar to the one where the inspectors show up. I hope there is one like that in this game.

Shouta

Ok, Stage 40 is giving me more crazy shit than I expected, lol. This game seriously has a lot of original content in it. i was expecting a copy pasta of each of the storylines but they've adjusted a lot so it fits well, improved the storylines, and just giving more crazy shit for us to play with.

Pretty sure there's a secret requirement for that stage.

Josh and Rim need 100 kills each. There may be someone Josh can interact with but I can't remember. Skill point is required for this stage if you want FORTE GIGAS.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Hey Shouta what stage does Mio join up? I will be jumping back into the game since FC3 took me away from it for a bit. Now that its out of the way will be playing again :D

Shouta

Ya and actually joins as a full time member so can upgrade her unit and such.

She joins in piloting Diablo early on then gets Zamzeed. After scenario 17 or so, she and the rest of the MK cast are gone for quite awhile. I haven't gotten them back yet but they're supposed to come back pretty soon from where I am in the game.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
She joins in piloting Diablo early on then gets Zamzeed. After scenario 17 or so, she and the rest of the MK cast are gone for quite awhile. I haven't gotten them back yet but they're supposed to come back pretty soon from where I am in the game.

Awesome thanks for the info I think I should be pretty close to that then. :D

Bebpo

Banned
Started playing it. Pretty cool!

But, just makes me want to play OGG lol. I really just play these games for the story and I want to see Compatible Kaiser/Raul's tales. Gonna start up OGG again this weekend.

Shouta

But, just makes me want to play OGG lol. I really just play these games for the story and I want to see Compatible Kaiser/Raul's tales. Gonna start up OGG again this weekend.

Playing OGG for Pachinko Kaiser is fun. I would download a save with a lot of starting cash to just rush through the story instead of playing it straight on that front.

On that note, I just got to Stage and woo crazy amount of story in this chapter. =O

squall23

If you haven't already yet, you should play Great Battle 4 for more of Compatikaiser's story.

ロボ~~~~~~~~~!!!!!!

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
1xtmo

This has got to be the worst cock-tease EMS has ever put me through. Pretty sure it just missed getting put on today's delivery trucks by about an hour :mad:

Edit - And minutes later the doorbell rings キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ッ!!

Absol

I'm now on stage 31. Bah. That feeling when you know you could have killed a fleeing boss if you only had the proper positioning. Damn you
Sagat
, I'm sure I could have done more than 25k damage to you. Don't really feel like replaying the stage. Well, at least I was able to do it on
Ignis

Even though I have no intention of using the
Forte Gigas (unless you can make Rim the main pilot)
, hope I still get it though.

Wow everyone is so far ahead. I barely finished stage 18 yesterday. Just finished the Masou Kishin route, so now comes the tough part of figuring out which unit I am going to have to upgrade next.

Varion

Ordered this so long ago (back last June) I'd almost forgot I actually ordered it until it arrived in the post today, book and all. Was intending on playing the earlier games before this came out and then... didn't play any of them. I have no idea where the last year and a half went, but I have way too many games to play at the moment, they all seem to have appeared at once.

Guessing any attempt to play this would just result in me being horribly lost, right?

The OG games are such a mess of various parts of other SRW games that they end being a confusing mess no matter what. Unless you played the entire catalog of Banpresto games. It's better to just not worry about it and look at the pretty animations.

Shouta

Or if you can follow the story closely, you'll get what's going on. It's a bit cooler if you understand the story from other games but it's certainly understandable even without that knowledge.

Varion

The OG games are such a mess of various parts of other SRW games that they end being a confusing mess no matter what. Unless you played the entire catalog of Banpresto games. It's better to just not worry about it and look at the pretty animations.

Or if you can follow the story closely, you'll get what's going on. It's a bit cooler if you understand the story from other games but it's certainly understandable even without that knowledge.
Alright, thanks. Going through the in-game summaries at least seen as they're there but otherwise I'll just give it a go. Pretty animations are always nice at least.

Jubern

That's... totally untrue. Before playing OGs I had absolutely NO knowledge of any chara/mech featured in it and managed to enjoy the story immensely without getting that confused.

Maybe you find it a confusing mess because you're trying too hard to compare the original stories with the way they are incorporated into OG?

Maybe you find it a confusing mess because you're trying too hard to compare the original stories with the way they are incorporated into OG?
Well that's entirely impossible since I haven't played any of the alpha games until several months after I finished OG1 and 2. If I had something to compare it would probably a lot more understandable for me. Since almost everything in these games seems to be dictated by previous SRW games and the internal logic of OG series in relation to them.

This isn't really a matter of opinion hahaha. All I am saying is that the events make far more sense in the context of what happened in other games.
Like how Zengar's first encounter with Kukuru gets played out. Except in 2nd OGs master Rishu is taking Zengar's place.

Coxy

Alright, thanks. Going through the in-game summaries at least seen as they're there but otherwise I'll just give it a go. Pretty animations are always nice at least.

you shouldnt be too lost, as well as the summaries there's an ingame system where things you might not understand are underlined and you can select to read a bit more on them, it's a pretty cool system

It's refreshing to play a stage where the skill point isn't "kill this guy by turn 5, by the way he retreats at 20,000hp".

I would probably enjoy them more if I optimized my squad setup. That's something I'll have to do soon otherwise I'll start missing SR's which I want to avoid since I've gotten everyone so far.

Anyone know if there's a secret associated with getting every SR?

Shouta

Don't know but I think there's a trophy.

I'm getting near the end of my first run myself. you can make some really buff Twin sets with the right skills and the like. It won't be totally invincible but it's damn near that, lol.

I'm scared of starting Ex-hard though...

Ken

What's the best way to set up boss kills? I'm really early on though but I remembered I never really excelled at that in SRW Z2 stuff.

The simplest way would be one twin unit with the two most hard hitting units you have. And one twin unit with two support attackers. And then you set them up so that they can hit the enemy with their best attacks all at once, after you feather it to as close to the minimal hp threshold as you can.

Edit: In previous SRW games it was a bit easier I think, you just had to dump all your cash into one unit, cast valor and then break the boss in two.

In Z2.2 I just cast zeal and enable on the Getter team until the boss died.

Ken

The simplest way would be one twin unit with the two most hard hitting units you have. And one twin unit with two support attackers. And then you set them up so that they can hit the enemy with their best attacks all at once, after you feather it to as close to the minimal hp threshold as you can.

Edit: In previous SRW games it was a bit easier I think, you just had to dump all your cash into one unit, cast valor and then break the boss in two.

In Z2.2 I just cast zeal and enable on the Getter team until the boss died.

What is twin unit?

What is twin unit?

It's in the OT, it covers some of the game mechanics. But a think to remember in the future is that for combinations attacks to work, both units don't need to be in the same twin unit or even attacking at the same time. Combination attacks tend to be a lot better than regular ones, so you would want to make as much use of them as possible.

Shouta

What is twin unit?

Check OT but it's basically a paired unit. That's why the status screen has two slots per deployment group.

Fastest way to deal damage in one attack is as Lost points out, set it up so that you get a full set of attacks using one twin unit and two other supporting them.

Ken

It's in the OT, it covers some of the game mechanics. But a think to remember in the future is that for combinations attacks to work, both units don't need to be in the same twin unit or even attacking at the same time. Combination attacks tend to be a lot better than regular ones, so you would want to make as much use of them as possible.

Check OT but it's basically a paired unit. That's why the status screen has two slots per deployment group.

Fastest way to deal damage in one attack is as Lost points out, set it up so that you get a full set of attacks using one twin unit and two other supporting them.

I need units to be next to each other in order for them to do a combination attack right?

So have a Twin Unit next to each other, and also have another 2 units next to the twin unit to get a big team attack with 4?

What does the text say when I choose a unit and friendlies will have text over them with a 1 or 2?

Shouta

I need units to be next to each other in order for them to do a combination attack right?

So have a Twin Unit next to each other, and also have another 2 units next to the twin unit to get a big team attack with 4?

What does the text say when I choose a unit and friendlies will have text over them with a 1 or 2?

To get an 4 attacks in one go, the units you park next to the one attacking needs to have the Support Attack Skill. 援護攻撃 is what it looks like. When you hover, the Red one indicates how many times they can support attack, The Blue one indicates how many times they can Support Defend i.e. take damage for a unit.

Team-Up attacks, are initiated by whatever unit you use, and you only need their partner unit parked next to them, either directly or diagonally. They don't need them to support attack at all, just be near each other.

If you combine the support attacks + team up attacks, you can get a giant robot festival.

For reference, this is what it looks like when you get 4 units doing their team-up attacks in a big setup. This is from the first game on the PS2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfLsea2PVzc&feature=g-crec-u

Now I am mildly upset that
Masaki stayed in La Gias. Sure he is probably needs some personal time after murdering Feil Lord. But I need my Cyflash damn it!
I am probably going to need to spend like half an hour just setting up squads and fixing things up.

Ken

Is there any downside to putting everyone into Twin Units? I just did mission 6 and almost everything died in one Twin Unit attack or a counter attack. What kind of thinking should I have when arranging people into TUs?

Also tried to do a "combo attack (?)" by putting the Gespent (?) next to the blue guncannon who was in a twin unit with the big red punching guy but only the guncannon assisted? Is there any condition to get all 4 to attack? Or is it because only the guncannon had the support attack skill.

squall23

Is there any downside to putting everyone into Twin Units? I just did mission 6 and almost everything died in one Twin Unit attack or a counter attack. What kind of thinking should I have when arranging people into TUs?
The main downside that I can think of is if one unit in a pair normally moves farther than the other unit, then that unit will slow down to the other unit's range. Also, if one unit can fly or move normally on water and the other unit can't, then that first unit also can't.

Ken

The main downside that I can think of is if one unit in a pair normally moves farther than the other unit, then that unit will slow down to the other unit's range. Also, if one unit can fly or move normally on water and the other unit can't, then that first unit also can't.

Ah okay. Will have to poke around the menus tomorrow to figure out mech properties then.

Shouta

Also tried to do a "combo attack (?)" by putting the Gespent (?) next to the blue guncannon who was in a twin unit with the big red punching guy but only the guncannon assisted? Is there any condition to get all 4 to attack? Or is it because only the guncannon had the support attack skill.

You can only pick one unit to support attack per turn so if you want two support attacks, you need to Twin up the Blue Gespenst with another unit that also has the Support Attack Skill. Make sure you Twin up the Red Gespenst as well.

Top Bottom