• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 87th Academy Awards |OT| The One That Matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

plainr_

I'm glad J.K. Simmons got an oscar for Whiplash but what about the main star of the movie? Not even a nomination. I thought he was brilliant.

This one's even better.

lxqHl5J.png

Did he mispronounce her name too?

CassSept

Surprised American Sniper got shat over. Kinda what happened to Lincoln, but even worse.

American Sniper didn't get 'shat over', it was a surprise it was even nominated, it wasn't a frontrunner in any category unlike Lincoln which early on was expected to win major awards.

kmag

While I thought Redmayne and Jones (who was even better) were the two best things about the Theory of Everything, it just goes to show the easiest way to a best acting oscar is still to ape a well known real life figure.

jett

D-Member
And speaking of Mexican media overreacting:

F17FFWF.png

They are comparing winning Best Movie to winning a World Cup. I'm cool that Iñárritu won it, but talk about latching to someone else's success.

You know that's the Latin American way. ALWAYS latch on to the success of your countrymen as if they were always representing your nation. :lol

scoobs

IMO Birdman deserves the best movie oscar more than Boyhood but both of those are far worse when compared to Nightcrawler.

Poor Jake at least deserves one oscar for best actor. He is never going to get an oscar nomination if a role like that will not even win.

J.K. Simmons winning an oscar for best supporting roll is well deserved, though.

I saw Nightcrawler and found his performance to be insanely creepy/awesome. He was incredible. Anyone else think he'd make a great Joker in future batman movies?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
That "with her spoon" joke should have gotten NPH yanked from the rest of the show

While I thought Redmayne and Jones (who was even better) were the two best things about the Theory of Everything, it just goes to show the easiest way to a best acting oscar is still to ape a well known real life figure.

A very valid point and one that's been shown to work well in previous wins. Jaime Foxx for Ray Charles is the one that really grinds my gears. To think if somebody thought of him as a serious actor.

Those who give incredible performances based on something original, or fictitious for that matter are the ones that gain more respect from me.

How did Neil Patrick Harris do?
It was pretty bad, terrible writing. Another thing though is that, more than ever, the audience is so uptight. I know, surprise surprise, Hollywood is full of oversensitive people who can't laugh at themselves or anything else even remotely controversial, but it feels like its worse than ever. It's like they just sit there and murmur and gasp anytime anyone dares to say anything a little out of line. The show is more and more of a drag to watch, and I think it makes hosting nearly impossible since the audience basically gives you nothing.

Addi

You know that's the Latin American way. ALWAYS latch on to the success of your countrymen as if they were always representing your nation. :lol

We have the same thing in Norway... I was looking for the results, but the news only talked about the "Norwegian Oscar", the adapted screenplay award won by Graham Moore for the Imitation game, a film directed by a Norwegian. Yes, reaching as hell...

Anyway, Birdman or Boyhood, would have been a decent choice either way. I don't understand the bashing both movies are getting here. Birdman is also in an other league than Argo and the Artist, don't try to put them in the same box.

DieH@rd

Banned
Shirley Temple didn't make the tribute... that's... wow.

She was in the last year's tribute, same as Philip Seymour Hoffman [both died in February few weeks before the ceremony]. Tribute segments cover people who died between ceremonies, and not only people who died in a calendar year.

What I missed was footage of the actors who died. I like footage much more than than this static cards. Eli Wallach deserved to scream "Blondie!" one more time.

thenexus6

It was a very standard ceremony. Three of my favourites from last year; Gone Girl, Nightcrawler and Interstellar were all shafted anyway.

I'm glad J.K. Simmons got an oscar for Whiplash but what about the main star of the movie? Not even a nomination. I thought he was brilliant.

I also think that Teller was snubbed, but he is still young and will get plenty of chances. The bigger mistake was leaving Gyllenhaal without a nom - he was incredible in Nightcrawler.

Blader

When your "gimmick" is a crazy film style with long extended shots artfully executed over an awesome bombastic all-percussion score, I think you can call it what it is. A great film. The story was intriguing, surrealist, and entertaining.

Boyhood's "gimmick" existed completely outside the actual art of film-making. It was a run-of-the-mill coming of age story that fizzled out around 90 minutes into the film. It was shot consistently in the same boring style. It's story was "nothing matters," just like Birdman utilized those themes, except Birdman was actually interesting and daring.

Boyhood's risk and art is a business and scheduling feat wrapped around an average plot. It's a okay to good film. I don't believe it deserved to win, but that's my opinion.

People are free to disagree.

The point of Boyhood is not "nothing matters", it's the exact opposite: everything matters. Every moment, no matter how small or trivial or seemingly insignificant, has meaning.

Had Boyhood's story been about how nothing matters, I'm sure Linklater would have chosen a much easier production method.

Addi

The point of Boyhood is not "nothing matters", it's the exact opposite: everything matters. Every moment, no matter how small or trivial or seemingly insignificant, has meaning.

Had Boyhood's story been about how nothing matters, I'm sure Linklater would have chosen a much easier production method.

Yes :) That's the thing I liked about the movie, a lesser director would have focused on the standard things like learning about sex, first kiss, first day at school, first drink etc. Instead Linklater skips those things because these are thing one are expected to go through anyway.

Sanjuro

My favorite part of Boyhood is when she divorces the third husband. I thought he was still around, but the film was so much of an afterthought to the filmmakers you're supposed to assume a rough day with a beer on the porch means divorce.

My favorite part of Boyhood is when she divorces the third husband. I thought he was still around, but the film was so much of an afterthought to the filmmakers you're supposed to assume a rough day with a beer on the porch means divorce.

Yeah, I had no idea what was going on. Both my girlfriend and I were confused by that. In one scene he's harping on Mason for being late and talking about it being his home and then a couple of scenes later she's selling the home.

They mention the divorce as an afterthought.

The film had a lot of problems. I liked it but I do not think it deserved to be there.

Akahige

My favorite part of Boyhood was the ridiculous scene of the stepfather bobbing in and out of traffic while drunk, I laughed heartly at that scene, in fact that whole storyline of that stepfather was extremely poorly done.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Whiplash and 50 Shades of Gray seem to be the same movie.

rezuth

Yeah, I had no idea what was going on. Both my girlfriend and I were confused by that. In one scene he's harping on Mason for being late and talking about it being his home and then a couple of scenes later she's selling the home.

They mention the divorce as an afterthought.

The film had a lot of problems. I liked it but I do not think it deserved to be there.

But it took twelve years! Of course that makes it genius.

Rockstar

Neo Member
And speaking of Mexican media overreacting:

F17FFWF.png

They are comparing winning Best Movie to winning a World Cup. I'm cool that Iñárritu won it, but talk about latching to someone else's success.

Its mediotiempo.com, a sports medium, obviously they would compare the win with something related to sport (i mean...http://www.mediotiempo.com/bitacora.php?id_partido=1 haha) , you're being manipulative, most of the media are taking normally the victory of Inarritu and Chivo Lubeski:

http://www.elnorte.com/aplicaciones.../aplicaciones/articulo/default.aspx?id=472053

http://www.milenio.com/hey/cine/Hacen-historia-Oscar_0_469753032.html

http://www.eluniversal.com/arte-y-e...alez-inarritu-gano-el-oscar-como-mejor-pelicu

http://www.jornada.unam.mx/2015/02/23/sociedad/043n1soc

Spinluck

My favorite part of Boyhood was the ridiculous scene of the stepfather bobbing in and out of traffic while drunk, I laughed heartly at that scene, in fact that whole storyline of that stepfather was extremely poorly done.

What was poorly done about it?

Akahige

What was poorly done about it?
I suppose the acting was the main problem with that storyline, it just wasn't strong enough by any of the actors to present it self as natural within the rest of the film. It was the first part of the film that tried to show much more depth of the characters and I think it failed.

I completely forgot Patricia was even nominated for her performance in the film till she won.

The worst scene in Boyhood, by far, is the teens talking about women and beer in that unfinished house. It was laughably bad.

It felt like one of those Kyle Mooney/Beck Bennett SNL skits. I love those skits because they're hilariously awkward representations of 90s/80s "very special Blossom" sitcom moments. I just didn't expect to see that in a feature film.

I suppose the acting was the main problem with that storyline, it just wasn't strong enough by any of the actors to present it self as natural within the rest of the film. It was the first part of the film that tried to show much more depth of the characters and I think it failed.

I completely forgot Patricia was even nominated for her performance in the film till she won.

I actually thought the actor playing Mason was doing a pretty good job of being a teen at that age. I don't know how much of that was acting though.

Akahige

The worst scene in Boyhood, by far, is the teens talking about women and beer in that unfinished house. It was laughably bad.
That like most scenes in the film felt like stuffs kids that age would talk and bullshit about but watched like the actors were reading off cue cards. I mean the dialogue was not great writing either but I didn't find any of the movie to have great dialogue.
I actually thought the actor playing Mason was doing a pretty good job of being a teen at that age. I don't know how much of that was acting though.
I'm not just talking about the kid who played Mason not bbeing a strong enough actor to bring any realism to those scenes, the mom and the stepfather as well.

Blader

It's funny watching people attack the believablity of the alcoholic stepfather or the kids' bullshit conversation about sex and drinking when others have said those felt ripped right out of their own lives. Ymmv, and all that.

It's almost like he turned out to be another mean drunk or something.

Also, they never showed us when Mason got his ears pierced. Plot hole!!

Sanjuro

It's almost like he turned out to be another mean drunk or something.

Also, they never showed us when Mason got his ears pierced. Plot hole!!

You're comparing a character's pierced ears to the disappearance of a character portraying the lead actor's step-father?

Guamu

Its mediotiempo.com, a sports medium, obviously they would compare the win with something related to sport (i mean...http://www.mediotiempo.com/bitacora.php?id_partido=1 haha) , you're being manipulative, most of the media are taking normally the victory of Inarritu and Chivo Lubeski:

http://www.elnorte.com/aplicaciones.../aplicaciones/articulo/default.aspx?id=472053

http://www.milenio.com/hey/cine/Hacen-historia-Oscar_0_469753032.html

http://www.eluniversal.com/arte-y-e...alez-inarritu-gano-el-oscar-como-mejor-pelicu

http://www.jornada.unam.mx/2015/02/23/sociedad/043n1soc

Yep. Actually I'm seeing mexican media focusing on "the government we deserve" part of the speech. Nothing to do with this being an election year, of course /s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom