• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 90s Album Exchange - Post one of your favorite albums from the 90s

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Please only post one album per post. Feel free to copy / paste my format, or change it a bit to create your own.

The intent here is to share some albums that you can enjoy from start to finish, and introduce people to some good music that they may not have heard. "One hit wonders" are strongly encouraged, if you would recommend their whole album. All genres are welcome, but try to post a variety if you can.

[edit] Additional suggestions: If you think most people heard the radio hit, post a different song from the album. Please don't just embed videos without at least listing a genre or a short description.

Artist: The Flaming Lips
Album: Transmissions from the Satellite Heart
Year: 1993
Genre: Alternative rock
Maybe try this if you enjoy: Ween, They Might Be Giants
After this album, maybe try: The Soft Bulletin.

Last edited:
One of the best albums ever imo

Artist: Stone Temple Pilots
Album: Core
Year: 1992
Genre: Awesome
Maybe try this if you enjoy: Copious amounts of Fuckin’

Stonetemplepilotscore.jpeg

I could post 100 more albums but this is always the first one I think of when thinking 90’s

Last edited:
Artist: Pulp
Album: Different Class
Year: 1995
Genre: Britpop/Art Rock

0ceImTn.jpg

The Standout track is obviously Common People, closely followed by Disco 2000, but the entire album hits like a platinum cricket bat.

In a time where most people only remember the chart battle between Blur and Oasis, or the feel good girl power of the Spice Girls, it's Pulp, and this album, with it's vaneer of cheerful optimism covering over a core of dark cynicism and biting social commentary, that really captured the feeling of Britain at the time, and in hindsight signaled the slow decline of British pride and optimism before the slide into artistic mediocrity and post modern cultrural shaming the UK saw itself slowly devolving into over the next couple of decades.

If you like it, try their previous album His 'n' Hers, the less refined, but slightly more intricate and insightful in it's rawness, previous album from the band.

Last edited:
Artist: Pulp
Album: Different Class
Genre: Britpop/Art Rock

0ceImTn.jpg

The Standout track is obviously Common People, closely followed by Disco 2000, but the entire album hits like a platinum cricket bat.

In a time where most people only remember the chart battle between Blur and Oasis, or the feel good girl power of the Spice Girls, it's Pulp, and this album, with it's vaneer of cheerful optimism covering over a core of dark cynicism and biting social commentary, that really captured the feeling of Britain at the time, and in hindsight signaled the slow decline of British pride and optimism before the slide into artistic mediocrity and post modern cultrural shaming the UK saw itself slowly devolving into over the next couple of decades.

If you like it, try their previous album His 'n' Hers, the less refined, but slightly more intricate and insightful in it's rawness, previous album from the band.

I actually just discovered this album after hearing Common People in a Jackass movie soundtrack. Great album.

amazing live versions here, 16 years apart

One of the best live songs ever?

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Artist: The Cardigans
Album: First Band on the Moon
Year: 1996
Genre: Alternative pop
Maybe try this if you enjoy: The Cranberries, Stars, Passion Pit, songs about dysfunctional relationships, or sad subject matter set to often inappropriately cheerful music.
After this album, maybe try: Life, which was even happier sounding. Or Gran Turismo, where they leaned into a darker more electronic sound.

Ok last one for me

My brother gave this to me when I was in middle school right before he went off to college 3000 miles away, so it holds a special place in my heart

White Zombie
Astro-Creep: 2000 – Songs of Love, Destruction and Other Synthetic Delusions of the Electric Head

WhiteZombie-AstroCreep2000.jpg

also

Pearl Jam
Ten

PearlJam-Ten2.jpg

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
When I think of the 90s, this is the album that defined it for me.

Artist: Various Artists
Album: The Crow Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Year: 1994
Genre: Alternative rock / Industrial
Maybe try this if you enjoy: Stone Temple Pilots, Nine Inch Nails, The Cure
After this album, maybe try: n/a (you've reached the pinnacle of 90's music and you won't find anything better)

71PtpUxnNZL._SL1425_.jpg

deafmedal

LApZmtI.jpg

Artist: TOOL
Album: Ænema
Released: 1996
Genre: TOOL

Why is this album great? Well, because. Have you heard it? Then you know it’s fucking awesome. And the cd has a fella fellating himself as the artwork. This album has many good songs, like no bad ones tbh. I’m an outlier amongst diehard TOOL retards about the ‘filler’ segue tracks... I don’t play them (except Intermission) anymore but angry French dude and German baking recipes were cool when I was 17. Not anymore. But I still fuck with them songs.

This album would mark the band’s departure from hard rock/metal into psychedelic/prog territory. I don’t really care about such nonsense. This album holds many wonderful memories from my last year of high school and the decades later. A true desert island album for me.

When I think of the 90s, this is the album that defined it for me.

Artist: Various Artists
Album: The Crow Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Year: 1994
Genre: Alternative rock / Industrial
Maybe try this if you enjoy: Stone Temple Pilots, Nine Inch Nails, The Cure
After this album, maybe try: n/a (you've reached the pinnacle of 90's music and you won't find anything better)

71PtpUxnNZL._SL1425_.jpg
So good, great choice. The score got a lot of play round these parts asswell.

Last edited:
Artist: The Cardigans
Album: First Band on the Moon
Genre: Alternative pop
Maybe try this if you enjoy: The Cranberries, Stars, Passion Pit, songs about dysfunctional relationships, or sad subject matter set to often inappropriately cheerful music.
After this album, maybe try: Life, which was even happier sounding. Or Gran Turismo, where they leaned into a darker more electronic sound.

My older brother had a massive crush on the lead singer of the Cardigans, and met her once in a trendy London club.

Being an annoyingly handsome, confident and irritatingly successful ladies man, he of course went right up to her to chat her up.

Sadly for him, for the second time in his life, presumably due to a combination of excitement and unfamiliarity with nervousness (he usually didn't care enough about the girls he hit on to be worried about the consequences of their not going for him), rather than deliver the witty chat up lines and effortless charm he usually did, his mind went completely blank, and he instead did the only thing he could think of in the moment, which was to start dancing at her, grinning like a lunatic as she looked at him with both confusion and mild fear, before quickly making her excuses and taking a sharp exit away from him.

He was gutted, and neither my other brother nor I have let him forget about it since.

Last edited:
Artist: Dream Theater
Album: Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory
Year: 1999
Genre: Progressive Metal
Maybe try this if you enjoy: Iron Maiden?
Avoid this if: You dislike extended instrumental "self-indulgent" sections

The quintessential 90s album for me, although I wouldn't say that it feels particularly 90s, which makes some sense considering it was released a few months short of 2000. I did fall off the Dream Theater train for a while when I felt that their music was just too much of everything, but I'm back on it now and I appreciate and love the over-the-top music they create.

Artist: Dream Theater
Album: Images and Words

Images and Words is also very good, but it's less consistent than Metropolis 2 and I prefer concept albums. But it's probably a bit easier as an entrance point, and it contains their most popular song Pull Me Under.

R-380200-1227446342.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Before I saw that another one of their albums was already mentioned here, this was going to be my choice. It's just honestly one of the most solid albums I've ever heard, and completely stands the test of time. Huge range of songs, and there really isn't a bad song on the album. Rock, rap, jazz, funk, reggae all mixed together effortlessly. Some of the hidden gems on the album are reallyyyyyyy good. And I was seeing them live at the time, and man, they were killing it in the early 90s with this at live shows.

Grassroots

Omaha Stylee live is still one of the heaviest songs ever. Just saw them play this live in December too, and they still crush it.

Kadayi

Banned
Artist: Belly
Album: Star

Just a solid album from the 4AD label

Artist: The Auteurs
Album: New Wave

A sublime debut album, by a band that fell in between Suede and Pulp in many ways but sadly never hit the fame of either.

Artist: Slowdive
Album: Souvlaki Space Station

Great shoegazer album, but 'when the sun hits' is just next level. At about the 1 minute mark is when I generally push the needle fully in for maximum bliss (I kid I kid)

Artist: Orbital
Album: Insides

Still sounds great today

Old Retro

artist: various
album: Law of the Jungle
year: 1994
genre: junglism/jungle
try this if you like: early jungle or drum & bass and especially reggae!!!

ILLtown

De La Soul - De La Soul Is Dead

Genre: Hip-Hop
Released: 1991

I absolutely love their debut album, 3 Feet High & Rising, but I think this tops it.

My favourite song from it is this one, which is the only time I will ever use the words "check out this great song about a child sex abuse victim murdering her abusive father": -

Most of the songs are more upbeat and fun in terms of their themes, so don't be put off if that one is not your cuppa tea. Another of my favourites from the album: -

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
great idea for a thread. Transmissions from the Satellite Heart is one of my favorites. actually all the 90s Lips albums are just too good. however my favorite album of the 90s is Fantasma.

this one, damn, this is just too good. Keigo Oyamada was in a 80s Japanese pop band called Flipper's Guitar, who had their own TV show. he went solo and adopted the name Cornelius, as a tribute to the character from Planet of the Apes. his first solo album is standard early 90s Shibuya-Kei pop, his second solo album a weird Beck style sampladelic record of metal and hip hop. his third solo album, Fantasma, released in 1997, is probably one of my favorite of all time. just a crazy genre-hopping album that namechecks The Clash, The Beach Boys, Jesus and Mary Chain, 2001: A Space Odyssey, etc. so many crazy sounds, from psychedelic hip hop to shoegaze. it's an insanely good album. BEST ON HEADPHONES. i discovered him when i went to see the Flaming Lips in 1999, he was on the bill as one of the opening acts. during the solo of one song he played a cover of "Love Me Tender" on a theremin while a video loop of Elvis ran in the background. it was a life-changing experience.

there are a number of music videos made for the album but unfortunately I can't find the one for the major single "Star Fruits Surf Rider". these are cool though, he was projecting these behind him during the show. his band was listening to click tracks so the video and audio were all in sync. BRILLIANT STUFF

Last edited:
XFUysfw.jpg

My favorite album of all time.
Yesterday was the 25th anniversary (I think?) as well as E40's in a major way

When I think of a 90's ass 90's album The Roots Do You Want More?!?! just encapsulates everything I love about (early) 90's hip hop and culture

Before I saw that another one of their albums was already mentioned here, this was going to be my choice. It's just honestly one of the most solid albums I've ever heard, and completely stands the test of time. Huge range of songs, and there really isn't a bad song on the album. Rock, rap, jazz, funk, reggae all mixed together effortlessly. Some of the hidden gems on the album are reallyyyyyyy good. And I was seeing them live at the time, and man, they were killing it in the early 90s with this at live shows.

Grassroots

Omaha Stylee live is still one of the heaviest songs ever. Just saw them play this live in December too, and they still crush it.

This is my favorite 311 album. They really show their range on this album - I don't think they've really come close to topping it since (311 and From Chaos both come close IMO)

Last edited:
great idea for a thread. Transmissions from the Satellite Heart is one of my favorites. actually all the 90s Lips albums are just too good. however my favorite album of the 90s is Fantasma.

this one, damn, this is just too good. Keigo Oyamada was in a 80s Japanese pop band called Flipper's Guitar, who had their own TV show. he went solo and adopted the name Cornelius, as a tribute to the character from Planet of the Apes. his first solo album is standard early 90s Shibuya-Kei pop, his second solo album a weird Beck style sampladelic record of metal and hip hop. his third solo album, Fantasma, released in 1997, is probably one of my favorite of all time. just a crazy genre-hopping album that namechecks The Clash, The Beach Boys, Jesus and Mary Chain, 2001: A Space Odyssey, etc. so many crazy sounds, from psychedelic hip hop to shoegaze. it's an insanely good album. BEST ON HEADPHONES. i discovered him when i went to see the Flaming Lips in 1999, he was on the bill as one of the opening acts. during the solo of one song he played a cover of "Love Me Tender" on a theremin while a video loop of Elvis ran in the background. it was a life-changing experience.

there are a number of music videos made for the album but unfortunately I can't find the one for the major single "Star Fruits Surf Rider". these are cool though, he was projecting these behind him during the show. his band was listening to click tracks so the video and audio were all in sync. BRILLIANT STUFF

Interesting, I'm downloading that now.

teezzy

Banned
Best decade for music. I could legit do this all day. I'll stop at three.

Artist: Hum
Album: You'd Prefer An Astronaut
Genre: Post punk
Maybe try this if you enjoy: Smashing Pumpkins, Fugazi, Sunny Day Real Estate, Have a Nice Life
After this album, maybe try: Downward is Heavenward

Artist: Deftones
Album: Around the Fur
Year: 1997
Genre: Alternative metal
Maybe try this if you enjoy: the greatest band ever
After this album, maybe try: White Pony, Diamond Eyes

Artist: Drop Nineteens
Album: Delaware
Genre: Shoegaze
Maybe try this if you enjoy: My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Slowdive
After this album, maybe try: Jerking off to photographs of women holding guns

teezzy

Banned
Artist: Massacre
Album: From Beyond
Year: 1991
Genre: Death Metal
Maybe try this if you enjoy: Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, Death, Pentagram
After this album, maybe try: Summoning spirits from the Shadow Realm

Phase

I'll just throw in some more hiphop/rap. 90's was so good for it.

Can't believe I forgot to post this one - GZA's Liquid Swords.

Also this one was great - Mobb Deep's The Infamous

Don't forget like all of A Tribe Called Quest's discography!

And one more album, a little more obscure but what I consider legend in the rap scene. The group "Children of the Corn" made up of Mase, Big L, Cam'ron, Herb McGruff and Bloodshed. The group only existed for a few years but came out with bangers.

Last edited:
I'll just throw in some more hiphop/rap. 90's was so good for it.

Can't believe I forgot to post this one - GZA's Liquid Swords.

Also this one was great - Mobb Deep's The Infamous

Don't forget like all of A Tribe Called Quest's discography!

And one more album, a little more obscure but what I consider legend in the rap scene. The group "Children of the Corn" made up of Mase, Big L, Cam'ron, Herb McGruff and Bloodshed. The group only existed for a few years but came out with bangers.

I saw Mobb Deep at a smaller local venue a few months before P passed away. So glad I ended up going to that.

Posting this of my own volition, not because Uncle Kadayi Kadayi told me to.

Artist: Failure
Album: Fantastic Planet
Genre: Grunge
Maybe try this if you enjoy: The Big 4

I have tickets for July to see Failure 3 nights in a row in Chicago. 1st night they're playing the whole album Comfort. 2nd night, they're playing the whole album Magnified. 3rd night, they're playing the whole album Fantastic Planet.

It hasn't been officially cancelled yet ... but probably will be. :messenger_neutral:

Last edited:

ILLtown

Reef - Glow

Genre: Rock
Released: 1997

The second album from English rock band, Reef. I first heard this band when one of their early tracks was used in a commercial for Sony minidiscs: -

I like all of their albums, but I think Glow is probably my favourite. A couple of tracks from it: -

Top Bottom