• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 90s Album Exchange - Post one of your favorite albums from the 90s

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
z6UkLXf.jpg

Great band. Entire album was awesome.

The last track on this album even sounds like it came straight from a Castlevania game.

As a matter of fact, singer Tina Root actually did a song for Bayonetta.

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Artist: Everything But the Girl
Album: Walking Wounded
Year: 1996
Genre: Quality adult contemporary "pop" mixed with the then modern electronic sounds of the time.
Maybe try this if you enjoy: Massive attack (she's the vocalist on "Protection" and "Better Things"), or that "I miss you like the deserts miss the rain" song, which was kind of a one hit wonder from the band around this time (at least in the US).
After this album, maybe try: Amplified Heart, which was the first album where the group started to gravitate towards electronic sounds, or Temperamental, which was their last album. All three are great albums.

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
In honor of the new Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 + 2 Remake that was announced today:

Artist: Goldfinger
Album: Hang Ups
Year: 1997
Genre: 90s Punk, Ska
Maybe try this if you enjoy: The Offspring, Green Day, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, or losing hours upon hours to a skating video game demo.
After this album, maybe try: Their self-titled debut, which is great as well. It also leans much more heavily into the ska aspect of things, if that's something that you'd enjoy.

Duellist

Sadly it be chucks last Death album. My favorite of the bunch
Death The Sound of Perseverance

Last edited:
I often forget that Rust in Peace and Seasons in the Abyss were in the 90s. And yes, they are both excellent albums, but when I think of 90s metal I tend to think more of Earache and Black Mark.

Last edited:

Duellist

I often forget that Rust in Peace and Seasons in the Abyss were in the 90s. And yes, they are both excellent albums, but when I think of 90s metal I tend to think more of Earache and Black Mark.
Ya I agree, funny thing is all the albums I posted( except Death) were released in 1990. The number of classic metal albums released in that year is mind boggling

Last edited:

Duellist

How about this bunch?
Bruce Dickinson Tattoed Millionaire

Balls To Picaso

Accident of Birth

Chemical Wedding

Last two albums are the missing Iron Maiden albums. If your a fan of Maiden and have not heard these( gasp!) then immediately stop what your doing and check them out.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Artist: They Might Be Giants
Album: Flood
Year: 1990
Genre: Indie, alternative, clever without being pretentious or serious.
Maybe try this if you enjoy: Ween, The Flaming Lips
After this album, maybe try: John Henry, the Malcolm in the Middle theme song, Tiny Toon Adventures reruns

Last edited:
Artist: Marilyn Manson
Album: Portrait of an American Family
Genre: industrial/alt metal
Year: 1994

Marilyn_Manson_-_Portrait_of_an_American_Family.png

I remember singing Cake and Sodomy and having no idea what it was about. The song has cake in the title, that's good, so sodomy has to be good too, right? I guess no one had the heart to tell me.

Artist: Marilyn Manson
Album: Antichrist Superstar
Genre: industria metal
Year: 1996
Marilyn_Manson_-_Antichrist_Superstar.png

This was the album that got me into Manson. Been an on and off fan for a while now.

betlbum2

Artist: Pulp
Album: Different Class
Year: 1995
Genre: Britpop/Art Rock

0ceImTn.jpg

The Standout track is obviously Common People, closely followed by Disco 2000, but the entire album hits like a platinum cricket bat.

In a time where most people only remember the chart battle between Blur and Oasis, or the feel good girl power of the Spice Girls, it's Pulp, and this album, with it's vaneer of cheerful optimism covering over a core of dark cynicism and biting social commentary, that really captured the feeling of Britain at the time, and in hindsight signaled the slow decline of British pride and optimism before the slide into artistic mediocrity and post modern cultrural shaming the UK saw itself slowly devolving into over the next couple of decades.

If you like it, try their previous album His 'n' Hers, the less refined, but slightly more intricate and insightful in it's rawness, previous album from the band.

You're rock my friend. I love love love Pulp.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Artist: Hootie and the Blowfish
Album: Cracked Rear View
Genre: rock

One of the all time great albums, not a bad song on the album. Darius Rucker vocals are incredible and the groups debut album is a thing of beauty.

hootie__the_blowfish_-_cracked_rear_view.jpg

1. "Hannah Jane" – 3:33
  2. "Hold My Hand" – 4:15
  3. "Let Her Cry" – 5:08
  4. "Only Wanna Be with You" – 3:46 (Bryan, Felber, Rucker, Sonefeld, Bob Dylan)
  5. "Running from an Angel" – 3:37
  6. "I'm Goin' Home" – 4:10
  7. "Drowning" – 5:01
  8. "Time" – 4:53
  9. "Look Away" – 2:38
  10. "Not Even the Trees" – 4:37
  11. "Goodbye" – 4:05

Swaff

Neo Member
Artist: Pantera
Album: Far Beyond Driven
Genre: Groove Metal
Try This If You Enjoy: Riff after Riff after Riff after Riff of infectious Metal!

Still to this day one of my favourite albums and will always be played at full volume when driving.

BGCDPT07.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom