• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Race All-Stars Cast Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

addik

That U-turn could have knocked Dave/Connor off if the Globetrotters and the Country Singers were not so bad with directions. I thought it could have paid off more than Brenchel had intended it to.

RangersFan

fuck the #accidentalalliance...

I'm full on rooting for Brenchel at this point. Is Dave even aware that this is a race?

RangersFan

I've never seen a team get as much help and hand holding as Caroline and Jennifer have gotten. It'd be a damn shame if they somehow beat Brenchel to the mat here (doesn't seem like it though, thank god).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That said, they haven't had one of those "this pitstop isn't a real pitstop" things this race, IIRC.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

I hate this show now. :(

Kifimbo

Can't believe the other teams are making me cheer for Brendan and Rachel. They are so self-righteous (maybe it's the editing).

UberTag

TAR has gotten completely stale. The only good part about it now is Phil.
Everything else is a disaster. Hopefully TAR Canada 2 will deliver this summer (although you know travelling through Canada and not the rest of the world will get old quick).

I just noticed that there wasn't a detour this leg maybe that's why this episode felt so weird.

And if someone told me by the final five, my favorite teams would have been the Brenchels and the Cowboys I would have laughed them silly yet, here we are. :|

Of course it's non-elim to save the team that half the teams are literally carrying each leg.

NYR

I've been noticing they only save attractive people with this non-elimination horse shit. Annoying.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Everything else is a disaster. Hopefully TAR Canada 2 will deliver this summer (although you know travelling through Canada and not the rest of the world will get old quick).

I want to say there's another cycle of Australia coming as well, but I could be making that up.
Ah, there is, sometime this year there will be "Australia vs New Zealand".

I really miss Asia though. There was something just exciting about having people from different countries participate. Even China Rush was an interesting wrinkle.

addik

I want to say there's another cycle of Australia coming as well, but I could be making that up.
Ah, there is, sometime this year there will be "Australia vs New Zealand".

I really miss Asia though. There was something just exciting about having people from different countries participate. Even China Rush was an interesting wrinkle.

I miss the Asian version too. It was cool to pit countries against each other, and it made alliances/feuds more interesting to me. Too bad they never did get the budget they deserved, and they had to stick with racing around Asia, except for one season.

I don't follow China Rush, really, but someone told me that there could be a possible 4th season that will finally go out of China, not that it needed to or anything. I watched parts of the third season, and it was interesting how they were able to have a bit of Russia and Korea in the race while staying in China.

But yeah, I am kinda glad the Accidental Alliance is getting major flak online, forcing The Country Singers to actually apologize over twitter. :/

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I miss the Asian version too. It was cool to pit countries against each other, and it made alliances/feuds more interesting to me. Too bad they never did get the budget they deserved, and they had to stick with racing around Asia, except for one season.

I don't follow China Rush, really, but someone told me that there could be a possible 4th season that will finally go out of China, not that it needed to or anything. I watched parts of the third season, and it was interesting how they were able to have a bit of Russia and Korea in the race while staying in China.

But yeah, I am kinda glad the Accidental Alliance is getting major flak online, forcing The Country Singers to actually apologize over twitter. :/

What did the country singers say? lol
They must realize that they're literally the worst team on the race now.

China Rush 3 went to Taiwan, which felt like a big shocker to me. But I guess we're at a point where some Chinese are allowed to go to Taiwan now, so why not promote it. But yeah, China is big enough to have a lot of cultures that they can visit while staying in its borders. It seems like it's been so long that an S4 probably won't happen though... but I'm willing to be surprised.

ganon

Damn it, the annoying Accidental Alliance is making the race unbearable to watch with all the helping and waiting.

TheYanger

Payoff will be worth it, since best case scenario for them they get to the final three and start to then absolutely savage each other, more realistically Rachel and Brendon keep beating at least 1 team and they have to really start cutting ties to get ruthless. I mean, usually the race has almost no drama, just the inherent drama of racing, I don't mind this TOO much.

Mostly it's just sad that as someone pointed out, it makes Brenchel and the cowboys by far the most likeable teams.

addik

What did the country singers say? lol
They must realize that they're literally the worst team on the race now.

China Rush 3 went to Taiwan, which felt like a big shocker to me. But I guess we're at a point where some Chinese are allowed to go to Taiwan now, so why not promote it. But yeah, China is big enough to have a lot of cultures that they can visit while staying in its borders. It seems like it's been so long that an S4 probably won't happen though... but I'm willing to be surprised.

Oh they did? I thought I misread that.

They basically just apologized for being immature, and that tension in the race can make you do crazy stuff. They mostly apologized to Rachel though, since she was pretty much the butt of their bullying.

Quick recap for anyone that missed this week's episode:

Where's Brendon and Rachel?
Are Brendon and Rachel behind us?
Brendon and Rachel weren't happy when they saw us.
Let's all make fun of Brendon and Rachel.
Did Brendon and Rachel take a wrong turn?
Has anyone seen Brendon and Rachel?
I can't believe Brendon and Rachel u-turned us.
I can't believe Brendon and Rachel u-turned them.
Let's all stop racing and help each other do everything so we can beat Brendon and Rachel.
...and on and on and on.

This episode made me hate every other team that isn't Brendon and Rachel.

Camwi

Quick recap for anyone that missed this week's episode:

Where's Brendon and Rachel?
Are Brendon and Rachel behind us?
Brendon and Rachel weren't happy when they saw us.
Let's all make fun of Brendon and Rachel.
Did Brendon and Rachel take a wrong turn?
Has anyone seen Brendon and Rachel?
I can't believe Brendon and Rachel u-turned us.
I can't believe Brendon and Rachel u-turned them.
Let's all stop racing and help each other do everything so we can beat Brendon and Rachel.
...and on and on and on.

This episode made me hate every other team that isn't Brendon and Rachel.

The Cowboys didn't participate in any of that, so don't be hating on them.

Anyways, the Accidental Alliance got annoying fast for me, but I still can't stand Brendon and Rachel. I wouldn't be surprised if they compare themselves to what happened to Jesus Christ on the next episode.

Also, screw the country singers. Awful team that's been carried almost the entire race, and they keep getting saved. Save the non-eliminations for the possibility of the Cowboys coming in last.

UberTag

Just to play devil's advocate, I didn't feel too bad about this leg being non-elimination.
I mean, there were no detours to speak of and the single, solitary roadblock on the leg favored men with upper body strength.
It was a stupidly designed leg which literally sabotaged any team that had to have a female run that roadblock.

Stat!

Can't stand Dave and Connor. They're high and mighty. How could you U-Turn us? Its a race, you morons. "Oh we don't drink. This isn't our scene". "We don't associate with those types of people"

And the country singers who have literally said "We are women. We can't do that" and got called out on their BS by the Youtubers. Saved by a terrible non-elimination leg again, they're getting so lucky with all the help they have got this season from the early stuff with the Team Kentucky building their jeep to the numbers of the mustang, its insane and infuriating.

Brenchels have grown on me. They may be annoying but they understand its a race.

Just to play devil's advocate, I didn't feel too bad about this leg being non-elimination.
I mean, there were no detours to speak of and the single, solitary roadblock on the leg favored men with upper body strength.
It was a stupidly designed leg which literally sabotaged any team that had to have a female run that roadblock.

They should have done it like Survivor were the amount of milk woukd be proportionally less for women.

The accidental alliance thing makes me laugh. Maybe it's just me but the only ones who seem to take it seriously are the country singers and Dave and Connor. Leo and Jamal seem to be playing around with it (but probably do like those teams).

They should have done it like Survivor were the amount of milk woukd be proportionally less for women.

I actually don't think the Amazing Race has ever done a difference in challenge requirements due to genders. I know they did do that whole each person can only do so many roadblocks (after the Bowling Moms lost in Season 5 cause they couldn't climb the cliff) so the guys don't just do them all and they have been not stuffing the roadblocks full of physical challenges.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Besides, if you're a cynic, you just assume that they had the hard physical task on the non-elim leg because they knew it wouldn't matter anyway.

TheYanger

I actually don't think the Amazing Race has ever done a difference in challenge requirements due to genders. I know they did do that whole each person can only do so many roadblocks (after the Bowling Moms lost in Season 5 cause they couldn't climb the cliff) so the guys don't just do them all and they have been not stuffing the roadblocks full of physical challenges.
Yeah as entertaining as Zach was, them and Chip/kim and Colin/christie really proved how flawed the old system was.

Besides, if you're a cynic, you just assume that they had the hard physical task on the non-elim leg because they knew it wouldn't matter anyway.

They do that a lot, actually. Any time a leg seems grossly unfair, I expect it to be non elim. That's ok with me.

I get that the country singers are terrible racers and don't deserve to be there, but I really don't buy the conspiracy theory garbage. There are lots of times 'ugly' (who even gets this far in the race and isn't pretty fit or whatever anyway? nobody) teams were saved by non-elim, people of all types.

There was ONE time I know of that they had to change the way an elimination worked, and it was still originally a non-elimination leg, that was the time they did the first double leg because begging was illegal in Hungary and anyone who got non-eliminated would've just been eliminated due to no money anyway.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I too am rooting for Brenchel only because of that stupid alliance. The father and son are going overboard with their U turn reaction, as if old people should be exempt from it. If they wanted Brenchel to U Turn the cowboys, so badly, why didn't they do it themselves? The cowboys were behind them and they could have easily U turned them.

And Leo and Jamal are just... idiots. They got U Turned by the father and son but are pissed off at Brenchel because of it, it doesn't make sense.

I hope the girls finally get out next episode, I can't say that they've deserved to come this far.

TAR Canada being restricted to traveling only inside Canada is what kills any sort of hype for me for the show. And I don't like the host of TAR Canada.

Well there have some legs that were terribly designed to not allow any chance of trailing teams to catch up barring you or your taxi gets majorly lost midway.

I too am rooting for Brenchel only because of that stupid alliance. The father and son are going overboard with their U turn reaction, as if old people should be exempt from it. If they wanted Brenchel to U Turn the cowboys, so badly, why didn't they do it themselves? The cowboys were behind them and they could have easily U turned them.

And Leo and Jamal are just... idiots. They got U Turned by the father and son but are pissed off at Brenchel because of it, it doesn't make sense.

I hope the girls finally get out next episode, I can't say that they've deserved to come this far.

Probably because the Cowboys were literally right there and they just didn't have the guts to actually do it right in their faces.

TheYanger

Leo and Jamal straight up said in this episode that they like these people better and more importantly that they'd rather be up against them in the final three because they'd be more likely to win. Of COURSE Leo and Jamal are going to u turn either brenchel or the cowboys. Just because it's a stupid alliance doesn't mean it doesn't work to all of their advantages too.

I've thought about this topic since I'd love to go on the Amazing Race someday, I don't think it's particularly beneficial to go hugely out of your way to help other teams, but 'helping' a weak team is absolutely the smartest thing to do as it's a sort of insurance for future legs. You can never fully predict who will be strong and who will be weak on any given leg, hell the country singers could be amazing at every task in the final leg and blow everyone away (no), but if you can decrease the average skill of the remaining teams why wouldn't you.

Of course gaf likes brenchels. Because they are so unlikable and obnoxious.

Rachael has the most annoying face ever made.

I'm all for the cowboys. But noway in hell would I ever want Rachael to win anything...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well there have some legs that were terribly designed to not allow any chance of trailing teams to catch up barring you or your taxi gets majorly lost midway.
I dunno, it really feels like you have to fuck up in order to trail badly.

They do that a lot, actually. Any time a leg seems grossly unfair, I expect it to be non elim. That's ok with me.

I get that the country singers are terrible racers and don't deserve to be there, but I really don't buy the conspiracy theory garbage. There are lots of times 'ugly' (who even gets this far in the race and isn't pretty fit or whatever anyway? nobody) teams were saved by non-elim, people of all types.

There was ONE time I know of that they had to change the way an elimination worked, and it was still originally a non-elimination leg, that was the time they did the first double leg because begging was illegal in Hungary and anyone who got non-eliminated would've just been eliminated due to no money anyway.
I would prefer the double leg to the non-elim because at least it doesn't just equalize everyone. Although with the way they set everything up, usually people just bunch up at the same transportation option anyway.

TheYanger

I would prefer the double leg to the non-elim because at least it doesn't just equalize everyone. Although with the way they set everything up, usually people just bunch up at the same transportation option anyway.

It's functionally no different, you realize that right? There's just 12 hours of rest in between one way.

I'm pretty sure double legs are murder on production as well as the teams too.

With the ways legs are designed now, there's a lot of bunching points (Hours of Operation, flights, trains, buses, etc, etc) so you don't have a large time difference between teams. It usually means that the tasks are where teams have a chance to catch up or fall behind and if the tasks are relatively easy or everyone does them in the same amount of time, you don't get much shuffling of the positions anymore unless someone sucks at reading or math.

You don't get times where teams are days behind others cause someone caught a really early flight or missed one like in earlier seasons. I imagine it's also so production doesn't have to scramble to have Phil still waiting for one team or trying to catch up to the leading teams while everyone else is still on an earlier leg.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's functionally no different, you realize that right? There's just 12 hours of rest in between one way.

I'm pretty sure double legs are murder on production as well as the teams too.
Yeah, but the rests usually mean that they all bunch up at the airport or the next event. In fact, if you know you are going to arrive at night, there's literally no reason to "race". I don't remember if they had to travel directly after the last double leg though...

With the ways legs are designed now, there's a lot of bunching points (Hours of Operation, flights, trains, buses, etc, etc) so you don't have a large time difference between teams. It usually means that the tasks are where teams have a chance to catch up or fall behind and if the tasks are relatively easy or everyone does them in the same amount of time, you don't get much shuffling of the positions anymore unless someone sucks at reading or math.

You don't get times where teams are days behind others cause someone caught a really early flight or missed one like in earlier seasons. I imagine it's also so production doesn't have to scramble to have Phil still waiting for one team or trying to catch up to the leading teams while everyone else is still on an earlier leg.

The early seasons were the best. :( It's just too bad they can't run it as an actual race now.

TheYanger

Yeah, but the rests usually mean that they all bunch up at the airport or the next event. In fact, if you know you are going to arrive at night, there's literally no reason to "race". I don't remember if they had to travel directly after the last double leg though...

The early seasons were the best. :( It's just too bad they can't run it as an actual race now.

That happens regardless of if it was a pit stop or a super leg. When they didn't correctly bunch teams it made episodes less compelling, and it also makes it vastly harder on production (They can't have Phil be in multiple places at once or the crews vastly apart, they've gotta rotate cameramen, etc).

I've been rewatching all seasons, I own the first one on dvd and have just been watching the rest online. As much as I LOOOVE the teams in seasons like 1 and 2, the races are not even close. It's a joke in terms of competition until something like season 7+

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't really want the race to be close. I want teams like the country stars to be like dozens of hours behind. lol

I still remember the team in the final three being remote eliminated. So good!

TheYanger

Eh, it's completely necessary. I think you guys underestimate how much one or two lucky big moves would completely invalidate any aspect of tension in the show (If you easily could, I wouldn't be shocked at first place teams being like a day or two ahead of everyone else and just winning outright).

Eh, it's completely necessary. I think you guys underestimate how much one or two lucky big moves would completely invalidate any aspect of tension in the show (If you easily could, I wouldn't be shocked at first place teams being like a day or two ahead of everyone else and just winning outright).
That's exactly how early seasons played out before they instituted that rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom