• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Game Delayed Indefinitely for Xbox One [Up: Released]

mclem

Not enough resources probably to work on all versions. You can bet the wii u version is mostly a straight port of 360/ps3. Maybe they didn't have enough time to port their ps4 code to xb1. It's no secret that was their lead platform for nextgen. Movie Licensed games are almost always rushed.

There's a PC version, though.

Also, that'd account for a delay, perhaps, but 'delayed indefinitely'?

geordiemp

Here's a controversial possibility

Maybe the xbox one version was underperforming to the point that it was too close to the 360 version.....

and MS rejected it saying dev was not optimising enough for the ONE....

I cant see why a dev if they have developed a game that runs on a console - they may as well release it and get the money....heck they have spent the development time and so its money LOST....

Does not compute

This tweet been quoted?

Beenox ‏@BeenoxTeam Apr 13
@Round1f1ght The game runs at 1080p 30fps on both the PS4 and the Xbox One.

Both, that tweet was only a few days ago.
Did someone format a hard drive or something?

Considering how Activision treated deadpool, and considering that this game already looks as poor as it does, maybe it failed cert and Activision doesn't think it's worth it to try again?

Corpekata

Banned
The first game had a weird release on PC. It was available for months on retail but not on Steam itself. But you needed Steam to actually play the game anyway.

stryke

This tweet been quoted?

Both, that tweet was only a few days ago.
Did someone format a hard drive or something?

Well in contrast, the XB1 version's TBD was already known earlier this week in MCV.

qGiEivh.png

so the wording in the article seems like its already in stores but will get pulled back , looks like another NBA elite 2011 situation

rare game being worth $$$$$$

TBH I wouldn't have even bought the game, just rent it from red box but this might be the start of something

but I own both systems so I won't miss anything

Curse of the ESRAM? It's been little secret that the XB1 is harder to develop for than the PS4. With the hard deadline of a movie tie-in game my guess is that the XB1 version ran into trouble and couldn't pass certification for its April 29 release date. Since the game is probably banking on the publicity of the movie to help with its sales, it might not make sense to continue development of the game if it had to come out months later. Activision is probably going to wait and see how the game is received before determining if it is worth it to put more money into the XB1 version.

dude819

This seems like a shame. I was actually kind of excited to try this.

Something definitely seems fishy about all this but, if I know the video game industry, they will be transparent and forthright with us and it will make sense.

Sounds like a moneyhat to me.

One Sony division paying another Sony division for a game series no one really cares about? Not so sure about that. I guess it's possible, but isn't SCE more hard up for cash than Sony Pictures? I'm not even certain that SCE could afford to moneyhat anyone.

One Sony division paying another Sony division for a game series no one really cares about? Not so sure about that. I guess it's possible, but isn't SCE more hard up for cash than Sony Pictures? I'm not even certain that SCE could afford to moneyhat anyone.

"What can we do to stop our rivals? Release versions of this game everywhere, except the X1. That will do the trick!"

dude819

I agree. They are selling buildings, closing studios and selling Square Enix stock as quick as possible to keep everything together. They are not cutting checks to lock down a current-gen, licensed game exclusive.

I'm surprised people seem to be writing off the game already. Sure it's a movie tie in game, but it honestly looks like a whole lot of fun.

As for Xbone losing it, that's very odd, especially with 360 version coming. My only guess would be that Acti is tweaking stuff for it...maybe extra features or something.

Eggbok

I'm surprised people seem to be writing off the game already. Sure it's a movie tie in game, but it honestly looks like a whole lot of fun.

As for Xbone losing it, that's very odd, especially with 360 version coming. My only guess would be that Acti is tweaking stuff for it...maybe extra features or something.

Wouldn't that be something though, a game based off a movie made by Sony getting exclusive content on Xbox One lol.

pretty much. Dont know if id get it day 1, but the web slinging looks solid and the batmanesque combat looks flashy.

looks better than movie games of my youth lol.

Hexa

pretty much. Dont know if id get it day 1, but the web slinging looks solid and the batmanesque combat looks flashy.

looks better than movie games of my youth lol.

The best movie game of my youth was spiderman 2. Thus I always have a good amount of optimism for spiderman tie ins.

Did the comparative complexity and lack of a mature SDK for the early PS3 lead to a similar thing happening for less technically proficient studios back at the launch of those systems?

I'm just trying to find a precedent for this other than the Wii U.

Sony releases this on all platforms but the Xbox One. This may be because at the moment, the X1 is THE competition to the PS4. The 360, WiiU, etc are not considered direct competition to the PS4 and are simply additional streams of revenue. This delay/cancel is solely due to Sony owning the rights and keeping it off the Xbox One. This theory is backed up by the very recent tweet that it runs fine on the Xbox One.

Synth

depends if it ran 30 fps flawlessly (it would of released)

or was a complete mess in frames / tearing ?

Maybe it interfered with the apps and it got rejected....?

Love to know, its an interesting mystery....

hmm, I guess that's a point. I haven't paid any attention, so I'm not sure if this is like an Injustice situation where the resolution is pretty much the only differentiator from the previous gen versions. If the X1 version was looking at a potential resolution drop to sustain performance, then I guess that could make it pretty damn similar to the 360 one (assuming that one ran at 720p).

Still, seems unlikely to be the reason for canning it, but I guess it's not all that crazy that the two may have been comparable.

Sony releases this on all platforms but the Xbox One. This may be because at the moment, the X1 is THE competition to the PS4. The 360, WiiU, etc are not considered direct competition to the PS4 and are simply additional streams of revenue. This delay/cancel is solely due to Sony owning the rights and keeping it off the Xbox One. This theory is backed up by the very recent tweet that it runs fine on the Xbox One.

This thread is amazing. Please, explain to us how this game skipped the PS Vita then? :)

Sweep14

Sony releases an Activision game...?

Xbox One version might have needed more time in development but MS's parity clause to release day and date with other versions might mean they just canceled it altogether.

Synth

This thread is amazing. Please, explain to us how this game skipped the PS Vita then? :)

Sony made the very wise decision to avoid having it released on Vita, as that would then lead to Vita sales data for the game... which would obviously be terrible, and possibly overshadow the reason why its being released on Wii U. This also has the side benefit of promoting Remote Play, enticing Vita owning Spiderman fans to buy a PS4 to play the game... on their Vita.

It all makes perfect sense to me.

Meh. I was willing to buy the game day one to try it, but not anymore. Not sure why Activision made this decision, but again, meh. Their call. I just hope they're not a sign of things to come.

I agree. They are selling buildings, closing studios and selling Square Enix stock as quick as possible to keep everything together. They are not cutting checks to lock down a current-gen, licensed game exclusive.

Especially when the movie it's based on looks like shit. Sony isn't that stupid.

Top Bottom