• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man TRAILER #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Someone remind me: Was this shot in 3D?

Yes it was. Trailer looked great. Magnitudes better than the Raimi films. It just has a much more grounded feeling, less cartoony.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
He looks nothing like a geeky social outcast. Peter Parker has been twilight'd.

I will probably skip on this. I didn't like the original trilogy, but this is honestly a story that doesn't need to be remade this soon.

hiredhand

That looks really uninspired. I think it's just too soon for a reboot, especially one that is that close to the Raimi ones.

With Batman and the Avengers as superhero movie competition this year alone, this movie feels a lot less triumphant than the first Spider-man film back in 2002. Everything feels so mundane now, since we've been spoiled by the other superhero movies.

Nesotenso

Sony wasn't keen on a 4th movie with Raimi and Maguire. They had to go into production to keep the rights. Hence reboot.

With Batman and the Avengers as superhero movie competition this year alone, this movie feels a lot less triumphant than the first Spider-man film back in 2002. Everything feels so mundane now, since we've been spoiled by the other superhero movies.

To be honest nothing compares to the hype I felt when I was watching Spiderman or the LOTR films in theaters.

Closest I got to that was TDK/Avatar but even with those it wasn't close for me for hype.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Not bad.. not bad at all honestly.

My only three gripes are the lame CGI, the Lizard's head(Why all round? Why not a badass croc face like the cartoon?), and Spiderman's eyes looks like he's wearing sunglasses...

Other than that, consider me interested.

duckroll

I don't like this trailer one bit. In fact, I really, really dislike how the entire film looks. The tone, the cast, the direction, the story, etc. Everything feels completely wrong to me. This isn't what I like about Spider-man, and it seems like they're trying to really move out of the shadow of Raimi's trilogy, to show that this is a totally different and "new" Spider-man, but it doesn't work for me one bit.

If I could sum this up in one word, it would be "unappealing".

Blablurn

it looks ok but the trailer didnt do much for me. but of course i will watch it. maybe the full film is going to please me. but the trailer was just "ok" for me. and the lizard design? terribad! what the fuck @ his head? that just looks stupid.

Salvadora

I don't like this trailer one bit. In fact, I really, really dislike how the entire film looks. The tone, the cast, the direction, the story, etc. Everything feels completely wrong to me. This isn't what I like about Spider-man, and it seems like they're trying to really move out of the shadow of Raimi's trilogy, to show that this is a totally different and "new" Spider-man, but it doesn't work for me one bit.

What would you do?

duckroll

What would you do?

I believe I've already mentioned it before in the previous thread, but I don't feel that Spider-man needs a reboot. I would be perfectly happy to just watch another Spider-man movie without a number, set some time after the third movie, or without even particularly referencing the previous movies at all. You can recast the characters, not do an origin story, and just tell another Spider-man story.

I like it, personally. Though the tone is darker and the quips seem a bit forced, I like that it seems to be trying to be better than Raimi's movies. I also hate the suit.

I mean - it looks like there'll be a better Spider-Man this time around, but... they could indeed do better.

I'll accept it for what it is right now.

Yes, I am a Spider-Man whore.

Axiology

Not feeling this trailer, really. Not to say that the movie's gonna suck (I'm not too hyped about it, but I'll wait to see what reactions are before deciding to see it or not), but this trailer went pretty far to make the movie seem way too desperate to be serious (like the godawful latin chorus).

I appreciated the quips, but they didn't work well with the tempo of the trailer, with most of the dialogue shown being choppy and sped up. That's probably just for the trailer also, though.
We'll see.

duckroll

I like it, personally. Though the tone is darker and the quips seem a bit forced, I like that it seems to be trying to be better than Raimi's movies. I also hate the suit.

I mean - it looks like there'll be a better Spider-Man this time around, but... they could indeed do better.

I'll accept it for what it is right now.

Yes, I am a Spider-Man whore.

I like Spider-man too, but I like a specific type of Spider-man. The Raimi take was very faithful to the tone of the older comics and I loved it for that. This looks like it's trying to be more like the JMS era Spider-man which I hated so much I almost threw up. I probably won't even watch this.

noah111

Still Alive
I believe I've already mentioned it before in the previous thread, but I don't feel that Spider-man needs a reboot. I would be perfectly happy to just watch another Spider-man movie without a number, set some time after the third movie, or without even particularly referencing the previous movies at all. You can recast the characters, not do an origin story, and just tell another Spider-man story.
Seriously? That would never, ever happen. It just makes no sense, whatsoever. This is a feature film franchise, not a TV show. That simply wouldn't work, especially with a recast as well.

IMO, a reboot was the only way they could have gone if they wanted to make a successful SM movie while retaining the rights.

And based on the reactions of most in here, they seem to have made the right choice. But we'll see when it hits, never know, could turn out to be a total shitter.

I like Spider-man too, but I like a specific type of Spider-man. The Raimi take was very faithful to the tone of the older comics and I loved it for that. This looks like it's trying to be more like the JMS era Spider-man which I hated so much I almost threw up. I probably won't even watch this.

Raimi's take wasn't bad at all (3 doesn't exist, minus the Peter vs Harry fight), but I wasn't feeling the Spider-Man that much. He felt so... generic as a superhero, and he lacked his trademark wit. That's one of the reasons why I love SSM so much as a cartoon - you had the quips, the agility (both of which appear to be in this movie) and even some moments drawn from the comics (when Spider-Man uses all of his strength to save Gwen in Season 2). Raimi's Parker wasn't bad, but his Spider-Man could have been better.

And thus far, while we aren't getting everything in this movie, it seems like we're getting a pretty good amount. In my opinion, really. Doesn't look bad enough to skip entirely, though.

EDIT: Now to see if he actually uses his Spider-Sense more than once per movie.

JMS era? Lolwut. You honestly don't see this more as Ultimate Spider-Man?

Raimi's take wasn't bad at all (3 doesn't exist, minus the Peter vs Harry fight), but I wasn't feeling the Spider-Man that much. He felt so... generic as a superhero, and he lacked his trademark wit. That's one of the reasons why I love SSM so much as a cartoon - you had the quips, the agility (both of which appear to be in this movie) and even some moments drawn from the comics (when Spider-Man uses all of his strength to save Gwen in Season 2). Raimi's Parker wasn't bad, but his Spider-Man could have been better.

And thus far, while we aren't getting everything in this movie, it seems like we're getting a pretty good amount. In my opinion, really. Doesn't look bad enough to skip entirely, though.

We also get to see how smart peter is which also something which Raimi's films did not really bother with .
I think is also great that they went with Gwen first , it might be darker than Raimi's films but it also look more true to spider-man\Peter Parker

JMS era? Lolwut. You honestly don't see this more as Ultimate Spider-Man?

Which reminds me - I do not like the recent focus on Ultimate Spider-Man. Another reason I loved Spectacular - it went with its own villain designs, and generally took from both.

And it was cancelled for Ultimate.
:(

I don't see the resemblance to ultimate spider man. Andrew Garfield looks nothing like ultimate spidey, Mary Jane plays a much bigger role than Gwen and the lizard never actually appeared in the main series of that comic.

Now if the trailer showed a huge hulk like goblin throwing fireballs, a hip aunt may, and Samuel l. Jackson as nick fury then I would say we got ourselves an ultimate spider man film.

Jaden Smith would fit the role that all these 'comic fans' are clamoring for.

Tbh the only thing I'm liking out of this trailer is Andrew Garfield and the fast-paced fighting. It does indeed look like a kinda cheap flick though and I somehow found myself bored watching a 2 minute trailer.

But then I'm one of those crazies who also really liked Raimi's take on things from the casting down to the music. Kirsten Dunst did her part, she was of little substance anyways.

Tbh the only thing I'm liking out of this trailer is Andrew Garfield and the fast-paced fighting. It does indeed look like a kinda cheap flick though and I somehow found myself bored watching a 2 minute trailer.

But then I'm one of those crazies who also really liked Raimi's take on things from the casting down to the music. Kirsten Dunst did her part, she was of little substance anyways.

I agree with your post 100%.

I didn't mind Dunst SO much.

Pau

Gotta say that the one thing I will definitely miss is the Danny Elfman theme.

Sidzed2

Ramie's movies were fairly lousy save for a chunk of Spidey 2.

This actually looks a whole lot slicker, bigger budget and contemporary than Raimi's camp.

Bring it on.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Obviously, as many a defender will be quick to assert, you can't judge a whole film from a trailer, but there seems to be a real lack of cinematic energy in this reboot. In the actors' performances, lines, action sequences -- everything. Its really lacking the punch of Raimi's efforts that although cheesey, drank you in and made it look thrilling to be Spider-Man.

I'm sure the script does have some great Parker quips, but it just seems like Garfield is far too surly and mumbly to pull them off, especially with the whole emo undercurrent of the films costume design and setting their marketers were clearly keen to evoke.

Obviously, as many a defender will be quick to assert, you can't judge a whole film from a trailer, but there seems to be a real lack of cinematic energy in this reboot. In the actors' performances, lines, action sequences -- everything. Its really lacking the punch of Raimi's efforts that although cheesey, drank you in and made it look thrilling to be Spider-Man.

I'm sure the script does have some great Parker quips, but it just seems like Garfield is far too surly to pull them off, especially with the whole emo undercurrent of the films costume design and setting their marketers were clearly keen to evoke.

From the scenes I saw today, one of which you get the tail-end of in the trailer with the car-jacker,
the carjacker pulls a knife on Spidey, which Garfield then does a very good job playing up, acting all serious saying 'Oh please no! Not a knife, my only weakness!' before he has fun taking the guy apart.
Garfield pulled it off pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom