• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Apple Bandai Pippin prototype console - Apple Arcade decades too early!

VGEsoterica

Recently I accidentally acquired a prototype Apple Pippin console...accidentally as in I really need to stay off eBay when I’ve had too many drinks! But things happen and bids win by mistake so...I am now the proud (I think? I’m not too sure) owner of an EV-2 prototype Pippin console straight from Cupertino (or that’s where the tracking info started from)

And honestly...I don’t hate it? There are actually some games that are intriguing and interesting enough to hold my attention. It’s definitely not anywhere near as bad as the internet would have you believe. That doesn’t mean I am saying it’s GOOD, but I’ve played worse for sure.

it came with a prototype controller, an unencrypted developer bios that lets it run unsigned code, and a 4MB developer prototype RAM expansion card installed. All new and interesting stuff to me.

I’ve played pretty much ever game worth playing on it and a few that definitely weren’t worth the price of the disc I burnt them on. But there is so little info about the Pippin online I figured it would be fun to share.

guess it just shows Apple tried to earnestly get into gaming well before the App Store and Apple Arcade. They just failed spectacularly at market with Bandai as their partner. Rumored to have sold less than 100k units, and the prototypes apparently had a 1K run to send to developers. This unit is so pristine I don’t think it’s even been used outside of me owning it. Came directly from Cupertino so clearly it never traveled too far in its lifetime before Miller High Life brained me grabbed it.

I’m sure the answer is no but anyone else here own a Pippin?

Mihos

Gold Member
I am getting more and more into the obscure hardware collecting. I don't have any proto-type units though.

My last pickup was a Milton Bradley Microvision .

VGEsoterica

I am getting more and more into the obscure hardware collecting. I don't have any proto-type units though.

My last pickup was a Milton Bradley Microvision .

yeah I ran out of standard consoles to collect so now I’m onto the weird stuff like a Pippin lol

AFAIK the only games really worth it up here are the ports of Marathon...which I don't even know were ports or just the system's way of playing the Mac versions since it (IIRC) has a compatible variant of some Mac OS version from the time.

Really I don't know much on the system; it had a lot of potential and seemed wanting to coalesce online gaming into a singular package before Dreamcast eventually managed to do so, but Apple just didn't generate enough 1st-party or 3rd-party game support. Plus I remember reading the price was pretty high. Not 3DO or Neo-Geo high, but somewhere around there.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Lol, how random. I've almost pulled the trigger n a Pippin a couple of times but never quite.

VGEsoterica

AFAIK the only games really worth it up here are the ports of Marathon...which I don't even know were ports or just the system's way of playing the Mac versions since it (IIRC) has a compatible variant of some Mac OS version from the time.

Really I don't know much on the system; it had a lot of potential and seemed wanting to coalesce online gaming into a singular package before Dreamcast eventually managed to do so, but Apple just didn't generate enough 1st-party or 3rd-party game support. Plus I remember reading the price was pretty high. Not 3DO or Neo-Geo high, but somewhere around there.

yeah that’s the funny thing...the hardware isn’t bad. Granted. GPU would have helped but it’s not horribly underpowered. It was the library and poor marketing that doomed it. There are some decent games for sure, but you could have just played most of them on a Mac. Seemed like a system without a cohesive purpose

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
I feel like if apple made games today they would cost $500 per game. $1,000 for the console, and $100 for a console stand.

Top Bottom