• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Bastard Executioner - Kurt Sutter takes on Medieval Times - S1 - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPGCrazied

I also thought it was pretty cool. Could have been much worse. But dang, its really a bloody show. I can't believe with some of the shots it got away with, being on basic cable that is.

I also thought it was pretty cool. Could have been much worse. But dang, its really a bloody show. I can't believe with some of the shots it got away with, being on basic cable that is.

The blood and guts on The Walking Dead, and SoA with its ass shot plus rape quota, nothing basic cable does will surprise me.

Apoc29

I can't help but think the main guy is Thor whenever I see him.

This show seems to suffer the same issues as Game of Thrones did at the beginning where they introduce a lot of similar-looking characters without much context. But eventually, the GoT characters developed their own individuality, and I suppose that can also happen with this show in time.

Basic cable can get away with anything they want, they just choose not to for advertising purposes

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
There’s a lot of blood, betrayal and sharp objects in Kurt Sutter’s new FX drama, but it turns out there’s also some DVR heat. The two-hour September 15 debut of The Bastard Executioner saw big leaps in both viewership and among adults 18-49 in Live+3 results – hitting a drama high in the former for FX. In both the demo and its total audience, TBX had a 71% lift from its Live+Same Day results to to 1.79 million and 3.61 million, respectively.

The DVR results now have TBX with the second best lift of all FX drama debuts among the 18-49s.

Only the launch of Fargo on April 15 last year did better, with a 74% increase from its Live+SD numbers. The Bridge had a 67% demo rise, The Strain went up 63%, Tyrant 53%, The Americans 48%, and American Horror Story: Murder House rose 37%.

So far this year, TBX rates third in basic cable drama debuts behind the powerhouses of AMC’s Fear The Walking Dead and Better Call Saul.

Source

- Premiere Episode Recap (youtube)

I guess you could've edited down the premiere to three and a half minutes and still told the story. ;) Btw, I reaaaaally hope they don't run all three and a half minutes of this before the next episode becuase one of my random pet peeves was how absurdly long the "previously on Sons of Anarchy" recaps were before each episode of that show actually started.

L+3 ratings - numbers look good, and it doesn't surprise me that a lot of people timeshifted instead of staying up past midnight to slog through all 2+ hours of the first run. Still, the initial ratings success will hinge on the viewership not eroding for the next few weeks, and given the issues with the premiere, I imagine they'll drop a fair bit. We'll see!

New episode tonight:
Effigy/Ddelw

An unlikely suspect is charged with treason; Wilkin must carry out his duties as the new executioner.
The episode will run 16 minutes past the hour tonight.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
On The Bastard Executioner‘s Bastardized Middle Ages

Let’s be clear about this as you digest the pilot episode: The Bastard Executioner isn’t about the Middle Ages.

First: The early fourteenth century in England and along the Welsh border was a thriving time.

Second: The medieval Welsh and English cared about their law.

Third: Ye olde executioner isn’t really medieval. Did executions occur occasionally? Yes. Were they frequent? Goodness no.

Fourth: While we’re discussing judicial decisions, let us also recall that torture was simply not a part of the judicial process in medieval England.

Fifth: The only criminals who were tortured and executed horribly were traitors.

Sixth: The witch. Oh the witch. Here’s the thing: magic use was common in medieval England.

Explanations at the link.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I really don't like how the screen turns black and white right before they cut to commercial.

EDIT: Wow, no one else watched the new episode?

I just hate that Sutter thought it was a good idea to remind us of SOA with some of the supporting cast. The Priest, the witch, the baron, and the witch's disfigured partner. Come the fuck on.

The whole thing is written in the same template as SoA. Opening scenes in the forest/garage with all the bros hanging out as Anorra/Gemma chides them to be careful, mothers them, etc. Jax/BasEx and his bro ride out to get info on on a rival gang(but make sure to double deal and warn the Wolf). But secretly Anorra/Gemma is manipulating them. Etc.

demolitio

The whole thing is written in the same template as SoA. Opening scenes in the forest/garage with all the bros hanging out as Anorra/Gemma chides them to be careful, mothers them, etc. Jax/BasEx and his bro ride out to get info on on a rival gang(but make sure to double deal and warn the Wolf). But secretly Anorra/Gemma is manipulating them. Etc.

Agreed.

I joked last night that the series will end with him riding down the road on his horse with his arms out as he crashes into an oncoming caravan and kills himself after 20 references to Jesus.

I'd like to think it has potential, but it feels like it's sticking to what Sutter knows no matter what.

zychi

Banned
Came in this thread to see how this show is since I'm watching SOA currently. First post spoils SOA for me, bunch of other posts spoil storylines.

Nice. Good to know spoilers in threads not related to the topic are cool still. Cant wait to be spoiled for Hannibal
(next show I'm watching) in a Gotham thread. :/

choodi

Banned
Came in this thread to see how this show is since I'm watching SOA currently. First post spoils SOA for me, bunch of other posts spoil storylines.

Nice. Good to know spoilers in threads not related to the topic are cool still. Cant wait to be spoiled for Hannibal

Trust me, being spoiled on that complete steaming pile of shit show is not something to be bothered by. We did you a favour.

RPGCrazied

I really don't like how the screen turns black and white right before they cut to commercial.

I do, I watch it from my DVR, its the perfect time to hit the fast forward button.

And what was the point of cutting off the girls nose? And the healer witch I fear is bad news.

Troy

Banned

Ignore people telling you SOA is a bad show. It's great. But that's something you'll need to decide for yourself.

I decided last week I'm done with this show unless I hear it improves tremendously. There's absolutely nothing interesting about it.

I'll keep recording it but once the rest of the Tuesday shows I watch are back on (SHIELD tonight, Flash/iZombie next Tuesday, Manhattan the Tuesday after that) this shows is going to be relegated to the "watch at some much later date" category.

Tuesday is the new Sunday in terms of number of things I watch.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'll keep recording it but once the rest of the Tuesday shows I watch are back on (SHIELD tonight, Flash/iZombie next Tuesday, Manhattan the Tuesday after that) this shows is going to be relegated to the "watch at some much later date" category.

Tuesday is the new Sunday in terms of number of things I watch.

Oh nice, they moved Manhattan away from the busiest night of the week!
to the second busiest night of the week. ;__;

Bodacious

Banned

You might enjoy this post I made in the Vikings thread last year. (assuming you're also familiar with that show)

aku:jiki

I am also strangely enjoying it, even though I don't really know why. I really like the relationship between the baroness and her chambermaid, and Stephen Moyer is always fun for me even if the show he is on sucks. Also like the main party quite a bit, mostly the redheaded sidekick and the goofy kid. Well, everyone except the lead and the fact that everyone, even his friends, just calls that one dude "the moor".

BTW, no posts about Ed Sheeran showing up out of the fucking blue? I guess I missed the press release about that.

The new wife is bat shit insane.
This is the part I hate the most right now. At first we were wondering if she's insane or just playing along for everyone's sake, but now it's pretty clear that she's completely nuts and Sutter is trying to paint some picture of her being abused into insanity but he is just not a skilled enough writer to pull that off.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Wilkin's side of the show is boring and feels inconsequential compared to Lady Love and Milus' storylines.

Also, clever way of bypassing the "no frontal nudity" rules of cable...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom