• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best God of War game

What is the premier God of War title?

• God of War

Votes: 21 5.9%
  • God of War II

Votes: 59 16.6%
  • Chains of Olympus

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • God of War III

Votes: 107 30.1%
  • Ghost of Sparta

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Ascension

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • God of War 2018

Votes: 149 41.9%
  • They all suck

Votes: 10 2.8%

• Total voters

NT80

GOW3 was my favourite. Amazing graphics for the time, good brutal combat with a variety of weapons and a really rousing story.
2018 was good but no way was it the 10/10 game it was hyped up to be. Rubbish bosses outside of optional Valkyries, a lack of good enemy variety and a world that felt kind of empty of noteworthy characters.

So according to this thread...

God of war 2 or 3 are the best. Anyone who thinks 2018 is the best.Either hasn't played 2 or 3 or has a memory of a goldfish and forgotten there unforgettable greatness.😅😅😅😅

Apparently everyone's forgotten that Ascension bombed and there was so much disinterest in the Franchise that Sony considered shelving it but 2018 completely turned it around.

Well done GAF your on fire today🤪

GametimeUK

2018 is my least favourite and that's including Ascension. I will admit I was burned out on GoW when Ascension released so I only played Ascension for the first time last year...

All I'm gonna say is it felt like a return to form compared to 2018. It's more like the GoW I know and love.

Banned
By "prententious hollywood nonsense" .. you mean an actual story with substance, excellent production values and great acting? Yeah its no wonder why this medium is seen as "for kids". every game that puts effort into the story is labeled a "movie game" or some other dumb shit

are you for real? the story in this game was not only completely predictable but also had zero depth. it was all surface level "worried dad" and "rebellious teen" shit.

also by pretentious I mostly mean the shitshow that are slow walking sequences, where developers think they are being Oscar Winning directors now because they artificially restrict your movement for 2 minutes while 2 people talk with zero interesting shit happening.
I bet the devs felt like Martin Scorsese when they came up with that pretentious sequence where you carry around Atreus for 4 minutes while only being able to hold the left stick forward and nothing else, as if we didn't know he would be fine a few cutscenes later with how predictable all of it was.

absolutely pretentious nonsense

SkylineRKR

I have to say 2018. It lacks boss fights and it doesn't even have gore, but it has the best combat by far. Its quite deep in fact. Some enemies you need to hit with fists for stagger, others are weak to frost or fire. You can shield parry etc. I went with a ruin build and it was awesome. The valkyries were excellent fights that pushed my abilities.

Second best is Ghost of Sparta. On PSP I was completely floored and beat the HD remaster also. Game is legit good.

Topher

Gold Member
are you for real? the story in this game was not only completely predictable but also had zero depth. it was all surface level "worried dad" and "rebellious teen" shit.

also by pretentious I mostly mean the shitshow that are slow walking sequences, where developers think they are being Oscar Winning directors now because they artificially restrict your movement for 2 minutes while 2 people talk with zero interesting shit happening.
I bet the devs felt like Martin Scorsese when they came up with that pretentious sequence where you carry around Atreus for 4 minutes while only being able to hold the left stick forward and nothing else, as if we didn't know he would be fine a few cutscenes later with how predictable all of it was.

"worried dad" and "rebellious teen" has to be the most bizarre analogy of the game I've ever read.

Last edited:

The_hunter

I went in 2018 expecting to dislike it, but I really enjoyed it, it's the best in the series. It still has the same characterization of gods that the series is known for, it still has the same fantastic mythological beasts, and over the top violence, and the story ties in with the rest of the series. The marketing for this game was pretty bad, they marketed it as some father son story, but it's really not, it's more about nordic mythology and the warrior's journey.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

I purposely walk slow in moments when it makes sense and looks cooler. On a first play through i'll never be one of those weirdos that just runs through every single level at every single moment. completely ruin all atmosphere. developers know half their audience will just run through important sections, ruin atmosphere, and just completely ruin the vibe of a moment, so they force you to experience it how they had imagined it.

Why is Kratos having an important discussion with his Son while sprinting around in circles. gross

Never played a single game in the franchise due to being primarily a PC gamer. I'll vote for God of War III due to it's kickass box art.

MV5BOGQ3MzUxNmItMzliNy00YWM0LTgxMGEtY2U1NGFmZjA2NmE1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk2OTAzNTI@._V1_.jpg

HTK

Banned
Its just the best game of the lot
I agree in terms of the story and characters etc... however, God of War 3 boss fights were just on another level. There isn't anything like it in GoW 2018 and it's something I hope they improve up on Ragnarok.

Bullets-hurt

Neo Member
2018 is my fav but they are all great and 2018 is made loads better by playing the previous ones or at least 3.

Never finished ascension but it was pretty good, deffo the formula had burned out for me by that point and I loved 2018s changes to much.

Can't wait for ragnarok

I never played the mobile games but I'd list it like this for the console games

1) God of War 2018
2) God of War 2
3) God of War
4) God of War 3
5) God of War Ascension

Personally I think God of War 3 was highly overrated and it was clear that it had a first time director behind it, things that we were told would be in the game weren't the pandora's box thing was a joke, way too much backtracking. It looked great at the time and the first boss fight was awesome but they dropped in quality with each one. Some of the character models looked really strange as well. I never finished Ascension I just didn't care for it but I loved the other 3 games.

Vick

Voted for GoW III because it's my favorite, even if Thread asked for best.. which is GoW 2018, also the game with best melee combat of any game i've ever played.

But honesly, i liked them all, including the PSP ones. The Volume II collection made by Ready at Dawn (best tech studio ever imo, RIP) with their 1080p 60fps on PS3 put Santa Monica to shame.

"worried dad" and "rebellious teen" has to be the most bizarre analogy of the game I've ever read.
Were you expecting something different from that user?

Javthusiast

Banned
I would need to replay 2 cause it has been over a decade since I played it, but right now I think it is between 2 and 2018 followed by 3 for me.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
2018 and it's not even close. Earlier games were just spectacle and angst and bombast, they were playable nu metal. 2018 somehow turned that around and created something character driven and personal. Never would have expected to live a game in this series that much.

Last edited:

Shakka43

Original God of War mostly because I never liked the plot about Kratos being son of Zeus, makes this whole needing Ares help in the 1st game pointless since if he is demigod from the beginning why was he about get killed by normal barbarian?
Kratos being the son of Zeus was actually established on the first game.

FingerBang

I loved all of them (well, except for Ascension which was ok), but 2018 is not only the best in the series, it's simply one of the best games ever.

That's the difference.

T-Cake

This got me thinking about playing a God of War marathon. I've not played the latest one yet so it might be good to start from the beginning again but then I might end up burned out by the time I get to God of War III or something. 😂

Jormatar

God of War 2018 for me, quite easily actually. Not that GoW 3 is bad by any means but GoW 2018 is just a masterpiece of a videogame. The only thing GoW 3 does better is the enemy variety. Here is hoping they addres that in the Ragnarök.

Whitecrow

Banned
I fail so hard to understand why so many people call gow2018 a master piece.

The story is lacking, the pacing drags on many poits and the spectacle is kept to a minimum. Also the builds system sucks and adds nothing, just a headache.

Previous GoW were definitely better at delivering its promises than 2018 at delivering a compelling story.

2018 have good combat and an awful lot of dialogue about what gods did or did not just to fill the big walks.

Is overproduced in many ways, and the one aspect that defined GoW, is lacking.

The best game is the one for the Java phones, without a doubt. I was watching a video of the speedrun history of 1, how a user discovered the medusa trick, and broke the scene completely

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I fail so hard to understand why so many people call gow2018 a master piece.

The story is lacking, the pacing drags on many poits and the spectacle is kept to a minimum. Also the builds system sucks and adds nothing, just a headache.

Previous GoW were definitely better at delivering its promises than 2018 at delivering a compelling story.

2018 have good combat and an awful lot of dialogue about what gods did or did not just to fill the big walks.

Is overproduced in many ways, and the one aspect that defined GoW, is lacking.

You fail to understand why anyone might have a different opinion than you? That happens a lot in video games. I can say the same thing about BoTW or RDR 2, but I can appreciate that those games were well-received and loved by the vast majority. Doesn't make my opinion any less valid, but it is what it is. Same with you. You didn't care for God of War as much as others. That's fine. I don't get why your opinion being in the minority is confusing though.

As far as God of War 2018, the story was hardly lacking, imo. The Norse arc was a welcome change as Ascension showed the Greek storyline was played out. Seeing Kratos evolving into a character with more depth was surprising and the interactions with Atreus were brilliant. The plot that unwinds from such a simple premise of scattering ashes it pretty incredible. How that is lacking.....I have no idea, but again.....opinions.

I don't get the criticism of the dialogue either way. The game is semi-open world with a lot of traversal. Mimir giving background stories along the way about the Norse gods isn't just idle chatter. I enjoyed hearing the story. This seems like a very nitpicky criticism to be honest. To each their own, I guess.

Last edited:

chixdiggit

What was the one where you had to climb rotating pillars with spikes? Because that was the worst one. I remember loving the game until that moment.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The original GoW and 2018 are such different games they are hard to compare. The original games are really hack and slash, and the new one is more narrative driven adventure. Both styles are great but it really comes down to modern video game storytelling versus "classic" styles. I think davidjaffe davidjaffe made a great series.

Maybe he could tell us what his initial pitch meeting was like.

Top Bottom