• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best grand scale fleet/capship battles?

hehe. WH 40k seem to be so stylized or with so much fantasy roots that they can surely get away with not having any excuse to have battles with ships this close to one another. Cool that they give some, but you don't need any when you are visual as cool as the Warhammer universe.

I think it is fantastic. They are very solid stories and the world building is fairly unique, but consistent. A lot of people don't like the first book, since it is not in the style and themes of the rest of the series. I disagree, but it is one of the weaker ones so don't judge the rest based on it. You can read them in any order anyway (at most some will drop historical trivia about events that occurred in previous books). Excession is book 4 I believe.

That said, if you are looking for something that focuses on the superlative qualities of the Culture civilization in massive wars or massive undertakings you will be disappointed. The focus is usually that of an outsider, or of a more primitive civilization.

Sounds great - I'll check it out!

i can certainly name the worst.

Intergalactic War as shown on Blake's 7. I love the show but nearly 40 years after the fact, it annoys me during a rewatch as this pivotal moment in the series was basically cobbled together from random model shots from previous seasons. Things like shots of a passenger spaceliners and civilian space stations. Made as cheesy AF show even cheesier AF.

I used to enjoy the epic battles on the Star Blazers cartoon.

DBT85

BTW, why was it in BSG that ships could shrug off hits from nukes?

The battlestars had a ton of armour as they eyes were designed to withstand them and more importantly the radiation, and the base stars were huge and probably the same. They did plenty of damage tho.

I'll always argue against the space battles of Rogue One, simply because the big ships warp in...then sit there and do nothing. It's awful on re-watches especially noticing you never see them shoot any big guns or anything. It frustrates me just because I love big space battles and was letdown at not seeing them do anything

Eh, the Big Ships in Rogue One weren't really battle ships. There were like 3 medical frigates in there and those damned weaponless transport ships for some reason. Why the heck they turn up for space battles I have no idea.

The largest ship in 40K is 6000 meters long, the Emperor class battleships. And they are as rare as hen's teeth, whilst there are hundreds of SSDs in service.

Not in the canon. As far as I'm aware, there has only been one SSD (the Executor) in the official canon, though I'm not completely up to date with the changes. If there were ever hundreds of them, I'm sure that was in the EU, which is no longer canon.

The mainstay of the Imperial Navy in SW was the Imperial Star Destroyer (and its smaller cousins), and that was only 1600 meters long. Most war capable ships in WH40k are longer than 4 km. Yes, the Executor dwarfs most WH40k ships, but it is the singular exception to that canon, not the rule. The only two canon ships in Star Wars to outsize standard WH40k ships were the Executor and the Death Star, and the latter hardly counts as a ship.

CS_Dan

Also:
Wzr4L8.gif

Cause fuck yeah. m/
One of the most hype moments in all of TV.
Speirs' run in Band of Brothers might beat it though.

Nikodemos

Y'know, when talking BSG, I wonder how many Viper pilots got blasted by hittting a shell with a malfunctioning self-destruct fuze. Given the amount of ordnance lobbed around, there's bound to be several duds.

Also, the thing I love the most about that clip is the implosion resulting from air rushing in to fill the vacuum caused by several hundred thousand tonnes of ship suddenly blinking out.

Maledict

Not in the canon. As far as I'm aware, there has only been one SSD (the Executor) in the official canon, though I'm not completely up to date with the changes. If there were ever hundreds of them, I'm sure that was in the EU, which is no longer canon.

The mainstay of the Imperial Navy in SW was the Imperial Star Destroyer (and its smaller cousins), and that was only 1600 meters long. Most war capable ships in WH40k are longer than 4 km. Yes, the Executor dwarfs most WH40k ships, but it is the singular exception to that canon, not the rule. The only two canon ships in Star Wars to outsize standard WH40k ships were the Executor and the Death Star, and the latter hardly counts as a ship.

The most canon of all, the movies actually. When they see the Executor in RotJ, Han comments how there are thousands of command ships, Vader might not be on that one.

Super class Star destroyers are not unique, and never have been, either In the original movies or any of the EU. The empire was a very big place after all.

DBT85

I thought the Eclipse was on the surface of Jakku in TFA?

kyser73

I've said it before and I'll say it always again, Battlestar Galactica did my favourite iteration of capital ship battles in a sci-fi series. I just love the intensity of them as they are a constant heartpounding barrage of weaponry, knowing that in space, enemies can come from anywhere so fuck it: Fire everything everywhere!

In this universe, they do eyeball it!

Also:
Wzr4L8.gif

Cause fuck yeah. m/

Yeah, I actually jumped out of my seat & whooped when I saw that in-atmosphere FTL drop. Until the Donnager Boarding battle in Expsnse S1 that was peak SF on TV for me.

Reading this thread I was ticking off all the examples I could think of as they appeared! Good to see Banks' Culture novels represent with Killing Time & Fallimg Outside The Normal Moral Constraints from Matter.

It's not a huge battle, but the Nebula Fight in Wrath of Khan is one of the better fights as it actually uses 3D space - obviously modelled on submarine warfare rather than putative space combat, but still.

Keasar

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 has amazing battles.

That show was a ton of fun.

There is one thing though in particular, I wanna meet the guy in particular who came up with the idea of a Sub-dimensional Submarine!
DHjune13C.JPG

In my fuckin' wildest imagination I would have never come up with something this silly yet freakin' awesome.

Eh, the Big Ships in Rogue One weren't really battle ships. There were like 3 medical frigates in there and those damned weaponless transport ships for some reason. Why the heck they turn up for space battles I have no idea.
The entire idea of a medical capital ship is ridiculous

mAcOdIn

That show was a ton of fun.
Starship Operators has some interesting battles. Each ship was a bit different, like one was crafted out of a Asteroid but there was another one that was a stealth ship.

Doesn't really qualify because it's always one versus one or more, only one side has a fleet. Then again I guess that'd also disqualify BSG which is the best so if you can tolerate a little bit of cheese it's a fun watch.

Roaming back into books with this one, but pretty much every one of the Honor Harrington novels (by David Weber) includes some epic space battle. The largest is the Battle of Manticore.

Edit - I still get goosebumps just seeing that BSG FTL drop. That with the Pegasus coming to the rescue just after is simply the most amazing TV-based space battle of all time.

pulsemyne

That is the most surreal shit.

I was there. It was....well it wasn't fun. The game slows down to 10 percent speed so that the server can keep up with what is happen, so what should have been a 2 hour battle took 20. Still everyone knew that when large numbers of titans began to arrive on the field that it was going to be slow motion festival. Quite a few people fell asleep at their keyboards.
Still getting to clobber that many titans was good.
The next super massive capital brawl though will eclipse that by quite so way. It's just a question of who is going to start it and over what.
1391484552536.gif

I was there. It was....well it wasn't fun. The game slows down to 10 percent speed so that the server can keep up with what is happen, so what should have been a 2 hour battle took 20. Still everyone knew that when large numbers of titans began to arrive on the field that it was going to be slow motion festival. Quite a few people fell asleep at their keyboards.
Still getting to clobber that many titans was good.
The next super massive capital brawl though will eclipse that by quite so way. It's just a question of who is going to start it and over what.
https://i.warosu.org/data/tg/img/0299/82/1391484552536.gif
This all started because one dude didn't make a payment? Amazing. That's some World War 1 level of things getting out of control quickly.

I've said it before and I'll say it always again, Battlestar Galactica did my favourite iteration of capital ship battles in a sci-fi series. I just love the intensity of them as they are a constant heartpounding barrage of weaponry, knowing that in space, enemies can come from anywhere so fuck it: Fire everything everywhere!

In this universe, they do eyeball it!

Also:
Wzr4L8.gif

Cause fuck yeah. \m/

As you and others say, the Exodus from New Caprica battle is amazing. One of the things I loved about it was it was one of the few times in the series that humanity was actually kicking Cylon ass up one side and down the other. It was very cathartic.

And then Adama had to roll in with that FTL jump into atmosphere, and let those solid steel balls hang out for everyone to see. I love that it was just to get more fighters close to the ground, and the Vipers were just mowing down Cylons left and right, because the last thing they would expect is for a Battlestar to drop in on top of them, unload a squadron or two of fighters, then jump right back out. The sonic boom as the ship hits FTL again is so badass.
And also, that poor Toaster on the guard tower that took a missile to its face.

And that is ignoring the end of the battle. The Galactica is up there getting gang banged by a fleet of Basestars and is ready to die. Then Lee comes in with Pegasus like,
BMjC94I.gif

He quickly takes out a Basestar as he flies in, then rams another one as they escape. And then the debris from that wreckage plows through another Basestar.

The video cuts out some of the other stuff, but at least shows the awesome stuff.

Another one from BSG that I loved was the assault on the Resurrection Ship. They take out the FTL drive, then the Vipers just do a drive by on all the Cylons inside.

ZnvhkSP.gif

pulsemyne

This all started because one dude didn't make a payment? Amazing. That's some World War 1 level of things getting out of control quickly.

Previous record setting battle occured because a Titan jumped into an enemy system as opposed to jump a sub capital fleet into the system. Mistakes can have big consequences in EVE.

Babylon 5 are some of my faves, the universe had a nice sci fi but grounded feel to it all, and the battles were just very well done with some of the semi realistic physics too. The effects are aging sadly, but still think it's one of the GOAT for space battles

Top Bottom