• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best loading screen ever!

scy

Man, I really didn't think Ami's singing was that bad. Maybe the loading screen is just that awful?!

loading.gif

Stare at this for a few minutes. You have now very accurately simulated a playthrough of Sonic 2K6's less frustrating parts.

This is the loading screen I was expecting.

This haunts my nightmares. When I close my eyes, I see "NOW LOADING..." in the bottom right. And this was the best part of the game.

Best:

1064055-yurt_large.jpg

Because look at him

Worst is either the one in the OP, or Burnout 3

Quite likes the one at the start of GTA:SA, because of the music (which changed I think)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well this thread really separates the men (those who can re-watch this video many times) from the boys (those who turned it off within 3 seconds).

PK Gaming

Came here to mock OP for posting such a shitty loading screen.

My ears are permanently scarred :V

+

The best loading screens are from the old DBZ games.

domlolz

Banned

this is a lot better, i had muted the video as i was listening to something else but i like the editing here

yes.

This. The only loading screen that doubles as the game's training mode.

Yes.

Honestly, I'd have to give this one to Halo 3. The loading screen in Halo 3 is so cool that I actually don't mind seeing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daLvkZqsVR8

OK, so it seems to be taking longer in that video that what I've normally encountered while playing, but it's still super nice. The way it smoothly transitions from menu to loading and the way the audio continues with a smooth fade out as it completes (no audio in the above video, unfortunately). It's just an expertly handled process that somehow adds to the polish of the experience.

Bungie has actually managed this throughout the Halo series, honestly, but Halo 3 is the best of the best.

YES.

Of all the atrocities in human history, this is the one that will be remembered for eons...

good joke

Persona7

Banned
Honestly, I'd have to give this one to Halo 3. The loading screen in Halo 3 is so cool that I actually don't mind seeing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daLvkZqsVR8

OK, so it seems to be taking longer in that video that what I've normally encountered while playing, but it's still super nice. The way it smoothly transitions from menu to loading and the way the audio continues with a smooth fade out as it completes (no audio in the above video, unfortunately). It's just an expertly handled process that somehow adds to the polish of the experience.

Bungie has actually managed this throughout the Halo series, honestly, but Halo 3 is the best of the best.

Yeah. I've always enjoyed that one.

I believe it is loading the cache in that specific capture which is why it is so long.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Doesn't Namco have a patent on putting stuff in loading screens?
They have one on putting games in their loading screens.

Best loading screen is still Snake smoking.

At first I had no idea she was saying Loading in an annoying horrible accent. all I heard was LAAAAAAAAAAAAAA DINGU LAAAAAAAAA DINGU

Has there ever been a loading screen where a character walks on screen and writes out the word "Loading..."? Or speaks it?

Although Snake having a smoke break is the bees knees.

It's pretty simple, but I thought the blinking cursor load screen in Gran Turismo 3 was cute, given how technologically advanced that game was when it came out.

totowhoa

Banned
OP's suggestion was the worst thing I've ever seen. God damn.

My vote goes to the Metroid Prime trilogy if this counts:

hIyDd.jpg

There are a few occasions where the door took so long to open that I thought I had a faulty game though, when I first played Prime. After that happened a few times, I realized that's how they were hiding the loading screens :p

pakkit

Banned
EA's FIFA series has a really slick loading minigame. It helps get newbies accommodated with the controls without a pause screen (until they realize that FIFA is infinitely complex and you'll never be as good as those bastards online...fucking FIFA).

Teletraan1

Banned
The best loading screen is the one that doesn't exist.

Even on a PC with a SSD is this a realistic expectation? The game should only have 1 loading screen. Since you know, it has to load the game into memory and doesn't have some sort of precognition about what save game ie parts of the game it has to load. Even if it was loading the entire game upon startup into memory, you would still have all those logos at the beginning masking the loading process so it would become the new loading screen.

Top Bottom