• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best looking texture you saw so far

You always think these threads are going to end up with some clash between AAA titles from Sony and PC games, but in reality the clash is whether one WiiU game was part of conversation or not.

SmartBase

Some examples:

Why not (click them to zoooooom)
starcitizen_2016_01_0r4kqc.png

starcitizen_2016_01_0fnjik.png

starcitizen_2015_11_0t8s78.png

SC has easily got the best texture work I've seen.

Bear

fast_racing_neo_review_08122015_1.png

Is that supposed to be particularly impressive? I don't see how it stands up to Battlefront/Star Citizen in the texture department, or even that UC3 tree.

Oh come on. I don't thing FAST holds a candle to many of these games but there is no way to judge that from a ridiculously blurred picture (supposed to represent ~300 mph) where you can't even see a clear texture. At least give it a fair shot, it's not hard to show that there are better looking games without resorting to a deliberately disingenuous picture.

oKrWrs.png

There, you've actually seen one of the game's road textures now. Go ahead and be as snarky as you want.

Rodin

I don't see how anything can compare to Battlefront tech wise. Other games belong in this thread only because of style and for how good their textures looked when they originally came out, and at that point you can post pretty much everything. No need to be snarky about what people post.

Wtf? Kratos is definitely high poly. Look at his shoulders, hard to find the poly edges. Tons of smooth edges all over too. No way textures are AAing lol.

Kratos model is 20k poly and you can definitely see edges in his shoulders (and on his head for that matter, pic helps hiding that shit). It looks good thanks to other techniques implemented by SSM in skin rendering, but it's nothing miraculous.

tuxfool

Banned
gnOolP.jpg

There, you've actually seen one of the game's road textures now. Go ahead and be as snarky as you want.

It wouldn't matter what picture was posted as you have proven yourself. Any picture would be fine as the original poster elected not to supply his own.

tuxfool

Banned
I think Super Mario 3D World has some really impressive texture work going for it. The game looks super clean and colourful, has many levels and it's all done in just approx 1700MB of total filesize. This game is witchcraft.

Hesemonni

Banned
Jesus Order 1886 continues to amaze and sadden me. Amaze because of the sheer technical and artistic wizardry conjured to make everything possible. Sadden because we'll never see the world and tech explored further :/

Kratos model is 20k poly and you can definitely see edges in his shoulders (and on his head for that matter, pic helps hiding that shit). It looks good thanks to other techniques implemented by SSM in skin rendering, but it's nothing miraculous.

In God of War 3, Kratos consisted of less than 20k polys. And he looks amazing for the time. He also only had one level of detail for gameplay, even when he was the size of a fly.

For it's time, God of War 3 was just as miraculous as Battlefront 3 is today.

Bear

It wouldn't matter what picture was posted as you have proven yourself. Any picture would be fine as the original poster elected not to supply his own.

The fact that the original poster didn't supply a screenshot is no excuse for intellectual dishonesty.

It wouldn't be hard to find even worse screenshots of literally every game in here, that's why fair representation absolutely does matter. This nonsense pops up way more often than it should in an effort to "prove" that some game or another looks bad. A meaningless and downright deceptive argument isn't suddenly acceptable because the conclusion is (coincidentally) not wrong.

tuxfool

Banned
The fact that the original poster didn't supply a screenshot is no excuse for intellectual dishonesty.

It wouldn't be hard to find even worse screenshots of literally every game in here, that's why fair representation absolutely does matter. This nonsense pops up way more often than it should in an effort to "prove" that some game or another looks bad. A meaningless and downright deceptive argument isn't suddenly acceptable because the conclusion is (coincidentally) not wrong.

Heh. I hadn't actually expanded the original image. Yeah it looks awful. You're right, it isn't all that representative of the game at its best. Though I'd say the say the downsampled image you posted isn't really accurate either.

Rodin

In God of War 3, Kratos consisted of less than 20k polys. And he looks amazing for the time. He also only had one level of detail for gameplay, even when he was the size of a fly.

For it's time, God of War 3 was just as miraculous as Battlefront 3 is today.

"If you look at Kratos on the PS2, he is about 5000 polygons," Feldman says. "He is about 20,000 polygons now. I think he had three textures on the PlayStation 2. I think he has at least 20 textures on him now. The animation data on him is probably about six times as big.

"So Kratos went from being a couple of megabytes to now, it would actually take two PS2s to fit his memory footprint all in there. He is always loaded in the game. The other thing is that he has many more weapons, too. He can load between all of those different weapons, so all that stuff is loaded with him also, and all of the move sets."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/the-making-of-god-of-war-iii

Innolis

The Order has the most impressive texture work I've seen on this generation, I really hope they get to do another game with that same engine. Its incredible.

Bear

Heh. I hadn't actually expanded the original image. Yeah it looks awful. You're right, it isn't all that representative of the game at its best. Though I'd say the say the downsampled image you posted isn't really accurate either.

It's not ideal, I would have preferred a native resolution screenshot but I couldn't find one that clearly shows the road textures (which, I should note, was specifically the subject at hand).

However, I would disagree that it's not accurate. Based on this direct feed video, it's reasonable approximation of what the game looks like in the video and the differences definitely don't work in the favor of the lower res screenshot. Either way, it's an immense improvement over a blurry picture that doesn't even show the textures that were being discussed.

Nevertheless, the video offers a chance to get essentially the same shot in native resolution, so here it is.

Oh come on. I don't thing FAST holds a candle to many of these games but there is no way to judge that from a ridiculously blurred picture (supposed to represent ~300 mph) where you can't even see a clear texture. At least give it a fair shot, it's not hard to show that there are better looking games without resorting to a deliberately disingenuous picture.

oKrWrs.png

The issue here as with a lot of games of course is that the AF is so bad it woldn't matter if it was the best texture in the world. No one looks at the game next to the car while driving and when you are looking ahead the textures are just blurry and turn to a very poor texture all around.

I'd rather any decent game have great AF than to do anything that sacrifices it.

Other than that, I know this isn't the point of the thread but it is important. Most important for textures actually.

Stevey

I cant find a decent image of it, but the rock textures on Halo on the OG Xbox were great.
Didn't seem to blur even when you had your face pressed up against them.

Shin-Ra

I cant find a decent image of it, but the rock textures on Halo on the OG Xbox were great.
Didn't seem to blur even when you had your face pressed up against them.
A high frequency detail texture faded in as you got closer, same in Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath.

Huh?

We mean shaders right?

No fun!

:mad:

Oooo. RotTR lookin sexy. Poor character in the back. Laura got all the light sources and shadows :)

The characters eyes behind Lara, looks like she's on drugs... Unless she is and that's part of her character. Lara looks really good though, not sure how it compares to TR2013.

The characters eyes behind Lara, looks like she's on drugs... Unless she is and that's part of her character. Lara looks really good though, not sure how it compares to TR2013.

I think she was crying (not completely sure) in the scene right before, that's why her eyes are red.

EpicBox

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter:
2014-12-23_00004_zpsd0cefbb7.jpg

These modded textures on Mass Effect 3 basically made it look like a PS4 remaster.

Before mods:
MassEffect32014-03-2312-17-12-00_zps75f87d20.png

After mods:
MassEffect32014-03-2312-31-29-65_zps9835751d.png

Modded Skyrim:
2014-05-09_00001_zpsxuz4vspk.jpg

2014-05-09_00002_zps9onpvasf.jpg

Shin-Ra

Ni no Kuni II has some seriously hot stuff coming in the 'painterly texture' category.

23552350435_38e23b267d_o.jpg

22924116684_8d742d5e5a_o.jpg

23443836202_e6eca7c0c0_o.jpg

23469918581_ef2bef8d76_o.jpg

23184406959_346b3df4e8_o.jpg

23256625270_f88c560d0a_o.jpg

23469915761_0098daef65_o.jpg

22925269473_843c1fc037_o.jpg

And it remains to be seen how closely Zelda U lives up to the E3 2014 textures.

24614473012_548e33e97d_o.png

24732275275_953bfb59d1_o.png

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I remember playing Sleeping Dogs on PC at launch being incredibly impressed by the rain effects on the streets at night.

Here's a GIF i made of it a while back

sleeping_dogs_by_aloooo81-d9q2k51.gif

Based on pics/gifs posted so far, my ranking would be:

1) The Order 1886
2) Battlefront
3) Tie between Driveclub/RoTR
4) Until Dawn
5) Alien Isolation

I'm not sure why Nintendo games are mentioned in this thread though. None of the textures posted for Wii U games look even remotely impressive. The Wii U games look good, but not impressive. At least to me.

Top Bottom