• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best new IP this generation is still....

Crayon

Wicked game. It felt a little limited. Specifically, the number of rooms in each bione could have been doubled and I'd be happy. The game makes up for it, though. It's way up there for this gen.

Holammer

It's an alright game with good mechanics and legit cool technology, but Hades (a much simpler last-gen title) shits on it from great heights and its story is far more griping than the confused arthouse wank of Returnal.

If it's the best game of this generation, it's only because there's no competition.

Came in here expecting it NOT to be Returnal and was going to throw a shit fit.

i-dont-want-peace-i-want-problems-always.gif

All is well in the world.
BBF334113F188BF784171AD80D5E4DF1EB144DDF

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Some of the poor decisions made in the rogue-lite implementation hold it back from greatness.
I also thought that at the beginning of the game, but my opinion changed as I played. I wouldn't want them to change the game design. I still remember the curses I threw at the game design when I first played Demon's Souls, and then I played the entire series(after 6 months of rehabilitation). This game is a bit like that.

Vampire Survivors is close second.

Xbox One X had a Cyberpunk special edition(which can't run the dlc) so I don't think it belongs to this generation. (fastmovingeyebrows.gif)

Don’t know about Returnal, it’s a rougelike, not my cup of tea….

It’s amazing every new generation there’s a new slew of PlayStation only players who latch onto the tit of whatever new IP Sony tries to introduce at the beginning of the generation is the best game of the generation. Let’s see the Bouncer, Lair, the Order and now Returnal…. Amazing lol

There’s a few out there Lies of P, Hi-Fi Rush, Octopath…. Just those three alone I played and finished this gen.

Reactions: Isa

Shtof

I guess we are not counting Elden Ring since it's a soulsborne game.

Actually, Deathloop. In the beginning I couldn't get to grips with it, many confusing systems. But it's actually very innovative, especially the online mode.

Shtof

It’s amazing every new generation there’s a new slew of PlayStation only players who latch onto the tit of whatever new IP Sony tries to introduce at the beginning of the generation is the best game of the generation. Let’s see the Bouncer, Lair, the Order and now Returnal…. Amazing lol

There’s a few out there Lies of P, Hi-Fi Rush, Octopath…. Just those three alone I played and finished this gen.
Don't you dare hate on The Bouncer. That game was like playing a movie back in the day.
Too bad it also was the length of a movie, but at least it didn't have filler. Just pure beat'em up goodness with an absolutely ridiculous story.
It was kinda panned by critics, but that was because it could be finished in literally two hours.

Also you're comparing a critical darling such as Returnal to some of the worst rated games Playstation has ever published (Lair and The Order).

nial

Gold Member

nice bait

SteadyEvo

Maybe for those able to leave the 1st level… Brutal difficulty and poorly explained mechanics are a turn off for me.

StueyDuck

If we are talking purely ps5 XSX... as in exclusive to this gen only, then yeah, mostly Returnal.

Maybe hogwarts 🤷‍♂️ that wasn't on ps4 XO was it?

The truth is there isn't a whole lot to go on

Deanington

Does the game pluck the characters from a pixelated world into a more "realistic" world? The background looks really clean compared to the pixelated characters. Not a fan.

EDIT: Also, having never played Octopath I can agree that the styling/art of the games is gorgeous.

I am on the fence as far as what game to choose, nothing really completely wowed me. Although I haven't played much. If I had to pick, I would probably say Cyberpunk, as generic as that might be. The game looks fantastic, and I love the aesthetics. Writing can be very good and intense at times. Especially with certain soundtrack/score playing during a quest. The rpg elements is meh.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Does the game pluck the characters from a pixelated world into a more "realistic" world? The background looks really clean compared to the pixelated characters. Not a fan.

Its the same as Xenogears, Grandia, and many other RPGs from the PS1 era. Sprite based characters running around in 3D polygon worlds. HD - 2D on the other hand gives the 3D polygonal environments pixel based textures which grounds the sprite characters in the environment better:

Last edited:

tommib

Maybe for those able to leave the 1st level… Brutal difficulty and poorly explained mechanics are a turn off for me.
I have to agree that the difficulty most turn off most gamers. It’s beyond brutal and cryptic. It’s totally my kind of thing but so not-mainstream. A checkpoint system of some sort would’ve helped.

It took me like 10 hours to get out of level 1. Then things start to click. Until level 3 of course. Then you’re fucked again. The runs are too long for this to be a consumer friendly game of any type. Completely hostile game.

Deanington

Its the same as Xenogears, Grandia, and many other RPGs from the PS1 era. Sprite based characters running around in 3D polygon worlds.
Ah ok, never played them. Your screenshot was kind of jarring seeing pixel characters against a much cleaner background. Versus Octopath that keeps the design consistent. Yeah the Octopath trailer really shows how good the game looks. I really like the style of it.

Let’s be real, Returnal is just 3D Resogun.
Let's be real, Returnal is just 3D Matterfall.
Let's be real, Returnal is just 3D Outland.

Their games share a lot of DNA, but those are imho much closer to Returnal than Resogun.

Returnal is probably the first Housemarque game I don't enjoy so far. I love their twin stick stuff, and I also liked the sidescroller action games, but Returnal is something I might never truly like because I seem to hate rogue and kinda pointlessly repetitive stuff.

SteadyEvo

I have to agree that the difficulty most turn off most gamers. It’s beyond brutal and cryptic. It’s totally my kind of thing but so not-mainstream. A checkpoint system of some sort would’ve helped.

It took me like 10 hours to get out of level 1. Then things start to click. Until level 3 of course. Then you’re fucked again. The runs are too long for this to be a consumer friendly game of any type. Completely hostile game.
10 hours in level 1?! Holy shit!!! Guess I don’t feel so bad now 😆 I have it installed, wanna go back and try again at some point. Any tips???

I wish i enjoyed rogue-like games so i could agreee with you OP, but cant agree. Amazing 3rd person shooter ruined by masochist progress mechanics.

Just hope whatever game Housemarque makes next, is not a rogue-like. They make games with great gameplay, it deservers a bigger audience.

I love Returnal beat it. Even played it again recently going through all the levels and beating it again. I agree though rogue-like is just not a good game mechanic. I feel the same about the new RE games and the unkillable bosses that just chase you around. It's not fun to me and I wish RE games never started doing that.

If Returnal was just a standard game it would be so much better I wouldn't even mind having to beat a level in one shot. The perfect system would be one check point mid way in each level and after every boss.

I think the best new IP though is Elden Ring.

Last edited:

Alex11

Man, nice to see such appreciation for this game, this made me reinstall the game and Jesus, it's instantly addictive, it's so fun.
On PC, and I really don't like rogue type games, but this game just clicks, the gameplay is awesome.

Also, no difficulty slider, option, whatever, it's a God send for me.

Last edited:

Hugare

damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

The game is so unique.

Art is amazing, gameplay, soundtrack, concept and execution ...

And I hate roguelikes. Never finished one before Returnal. Not even close.

But loved Returnal enough to complete it and play the tower DLC for many hours

Sadly, I doubt that this franchise will live on. But just like Mirror's Edge, we will always have that original game that never gets old.

Blindy

Returnal's glitches ruined the 1st experience for me, sucks. That includes the final boss of Biome 6 glitching out and giving me a free way to finish the game(Didn't get the trophy). Played this game on launch, guess I got the launch experience. Game probably is much better now but that left such a sour taste in my mouth.

Top Bottom