• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can't think of many single-player new IPs in the last decade that people are gonna talk about 10 years from now.

Mythoclast

Was just trying to remember any new single-player IPs in the last decade that have the "punch" or "staying power" of the IPs that emerged in the 2000s. Stuff like the original Assassin's Creed, Demon's and Dark Souls, Gears of War, Dead Space, Red Dead, God of War, Devil May Cry, Halo. Games that people talk about and expect sequels from years from their release. In the 90s we also got so many insane IPs as well.

But now, this generation and arguably the previous one as well (2013+), I can't think on many IPs that have generated that amount of punch. Maybe TLOU, The Evil Within (hardly impactful or genre-defining) Bloodborne (but mechanically it's really a Souls deriv like Sekiro), and more recently Returnal (I don't think anyone is salivating for a sequel, although it would be welcome), Callisto Protocol (flopped), Cyberpunk (tbh I don't see many people talking about it these days) and Starfield (hopefully it's good).

I know games like Destiny, Apex, and Fortnite have released and been very successful in recent years, but that just speaks on how the market has shifted towards GaaS to please Gen Z. I wish the industry had the creativity and innovation to create new IPs that it had in the 90s and 00s instead of relying on remakes, sequels, remasters and GaaS. Bring me BACK IN TIME...

back to the future adventure GIF

Gojiira

Bloodborne,Sekiro,Nioh,Gravity Rush.
I mean Bloodborne and Sekiro are always in discussion, they are fantastic new ip’s.
Nioh was the first good Soulslike by another dev, 2 solid games and a third isnt unlikely but so far no word,give it a couple more years and I think it will start being a requested sequel.
Gravity Rush again had a great sequel and people have wanted more from the franchise since day one, they’re classic but under appreciated by Sony.
Puppeteer was a great new ip thats all but forgotten as well.

Uh, Elden Ring? I'm definitely salivating for a Returnal sequel. Hollow Knight and Hades are both incredible.

Your second paragraph kind of undoes your OP tbh, that's not a bad list. Of course as time passes there will be more IP that exist and to draw from, so there will always be fewer new ones being made, not to mention the ballooning development times. But you've kind of convinced me that we're doing okay.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Hi Fi Rush is exactly this. It may be niche and not set the sales charts on fire, but it will stand the test of time for decades and people will still talk about it occassionally. Jet Set Radio didnt win any GOTY awards and people still talk about it 20 years later. This will be one of those games.

Last edited:

RedC

Hi Fi Rush is exactly this. It may be niche and not set the sales charts on fire, but it will stand the test of time for decades and people will still talk about it occassionally. Jet Set Radio didnt win any GOTY awards and people still talk about it 20 years later. This will be one of those games.
Hi-Fi Rush will also likely get a sequel that iterates on the original and is bigger in scale and scope with higher production values.

zeldaring

Banned
If GoW 2018 is a new IP then Zelda BOTW and RE7 and onwards are a new IP too lol

The term has lost all meaning
True that. Yea I'll replace that with Elden ring although it does feel like dark souls 4, more then GOW 2018 feeling like old GOW of games.

Akuji

Hades. Bindung of issac, hollow knight, ori, horizon, bloodborne, elden ring, returnal, ghost of tsushima, ni-oh, vampire survivors, valheim, no mens sky, rogue legacy, dead cells from the top of my head.

Stop being whiny and become a gamer not a Marketing device. Gaming is more diverse then ever thanks to ease of use dev Tools.

But they dont get multi million Dollar advertisement. Its on you for not doing atleast 10 hours a year of search for good games. Oh undertale just sprung to mind.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
God of war and ragnarok are amazing games with an great story
they are based off an IP from 2005. so doesnt really count.
Bloodborne,Sekiro,Nioh,Gravity Rush.
Gravity Rush is on fucking life support. if Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme didn't exist the game wouldn't even be considered, here :(
This is too easy -- Bloodborne.
Here maybe, but Bloodborne hasn't recieved a sequel or any aknowledgement from Sony since forever. A remake would do wonders for spreading the franchise out there but otherwise nahhhhh.
Did you think people would be talking about Jet Set Radio on the Dreamcast 20 years later when it probably didnt even sell a million copies?
If it isn't a dreamcast list war, talks about the Soundtrack, or a Sega fanboy, people really aren't talking about Jet Set Radio.

better example would be Wind Waker as a cell shaded game since that game has a much more dedicated fanbase and is tied to a much more popular IP. and even then no one really talks about Gamecube Zelda as much as they do N64 or BOTW/TOTK

Last edited:

Laieon

They talk about it through their rose tinted memory. The game is trash. Just like JSRF.

Get back to me in 2053 when outlets from all over the galaxy list Hi Fi Rush on their Best Games Of All Time lists :messenger_tears_of_joy:

OP never specified that the game that people are gonna talk about 10 years ago had to be a good game.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I mean, there are corners on the internet where people still worship Titanfall 2 and call if the best singleplayer shooter since Half-Life 2. And I tend to agree.
Exactly. The only reason 20 year old games ever get brought up is if they did something that isnt commonly repeated a bunch. Titanfall 2 is remembered and it comes up in single player FPS conversations. No one talks about it every day. But if the subject of good FPS campaigns ever comes up, people mention it.

Last edited:
Okay, I thought about this a bit more so here's a few additional SP new IPs released in the past 6 years or so that I think they'll be talked about 10 years from now.

Hades -- mega hit indie game from beloved devs (Supergiant Games). It's being talked to death as one of the best games in the roguelite genre. a sequel is already in the works and will go into early access sometime soon (maybe next year?).
Horizon -- new IP from 1P Sony studio Guerilla Games. They've released 2 big entries and a VR spin-off so far, with the whole series selling 32.7 million copies. They're already working on a 3rd main title in the franchise with a TV show also
being produced by Netflix.
Ghost of Tsushima -- new IP from 1P Sony studio Sucker Punch. Has been the studio's biggest success story so far and presumably a sequel is already in the works. A movie based on the IP is also in heavy development.
Death Stranding -- Like it or not people will definitely talk about this fresh intellectual property 10 years from now. Death Stranding 2 is slated to release in 2024 - 2025 with a movie being in production as well.
Elden Ring -- Hugely successful new IP from the makers of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls that sold more 20M units worlwide. Bandai Namco will definitely green light a sequel and people will keep talking about the game for years to come.

Last edited:

Hudo

Or take a look at Skyrim. This game still gets talked about. Ironically, no one talks about Fallout 4.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Hades. Bindung of issac, hollow knight, ori, horizon, bloodborne, elden ring, returnal, ghost of tsushima, ni-oh, vampire survivors, valheim, no mens sky, rogue legacy, dead cells from the top of my head.

Stop being whiny and become a gamer not a Marketing device. Gaming is more diverse then ever thanks to ease of use dev Tools.

But they dont get multi million Dollar advertisement. Its on you for not doing atleast 10 hours a year of search for good games. Oh undertale just sprung to mind.
yep. Minecraft, Ultrakill, and terraria come to mind as well, though Minecraft had its beta in 2009.

the indie scene will stand the test of time a lot better than many of the AAA released these days, in my opinion. Because like Punished Miku Punished Miku said, they do stuff that isn't repeated a lot.

Last edited:
they are based off an IP from 2005. so doesnt really count.

Gravity Rush is on fucking life support. if Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme didn't exist the game wouldn't even be considered, here :(

Here maybe, but Bloodborne hasn't recieved a sequel or any aknowledgement from Sony since forever. A remake would do wonders for spreading the franchise out there but otherwise nahhhhh.

If it isn't a dreamcast list war, talks about the Soundtrack, or a Sega fanboy, people really aren't talking about Jet Set Radio.

better example would be Wind Waker as a cell shaded game since that game has a much more dedicated fanbase and is tied to a much more popular IP. and even then no one really talks about Gamecube Zelda as much as they do N64 or BOTW/TOTK
It doesn't even need a remake, just a straight PC and PS5 port will suffice. Even without, there's still tons of videos being made on YouTube and whatnot and also the continuous chatter on social media platforms, reddit and here on GAF or Reeee that will keep the discussion going for many more years to come. :p

Last edited:
Was surprised that it took so long for someone to mention Ghost of Tsushima.

I think the problem with OP is they compare the last decade with the all-time rather than decade by decade, which would be a more fair comparison. Not to mention that the games that came through in 2003 to 2013 also came through at a time when gaming was just actually migrating to HD in the 3D era, so a lot of games became staples and were plentiful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom