• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best new IP this generation is still....

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
bromance-sig-curtis.gif
Enjoy.

Have some music too.

Hudo

Is it DQed if it has a ps4 version like it originally did ?

If not, then I change my vote from vampire survivors to this. I love cp2077.
Well, to be fair. Everyone said that Cyberpunk was basically unplayable on the last gen consoles...

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
This game is severely underrated…..I might do another playthrough.
I'm planning another playthrough after Jet Force Gemini. Astral Chain is one of those definitive character action games and plus plays out like an amazing Anime. I also really liked the story which still to this day has a few questions left unanswered. Would love a sequel.

Was disappointed with how underwhelming Bayonetta 3 was in comparison.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm planning another playthrough after Jet Force Gemini. Astral Chain is one of those definitive character action games and plus plays out like an amazing Anime. I also really liked the story which still to this day has a few questions left unanswered. Would love a sequel.
Ooooooh I would LOOOVE to see the sequel.

Also love the fact the artist who did character designs is the who made DNA2 and Zetman.

cf139427fc57fcefe3b692dfbfee62a9.jpg
zetman_645474.jpg

Last edited:

T0minator

There are no new IP's.......it's all remasters, sequels, reboots, remakes....it's sad really
There's been quite a few but there's definitely way more than just those types of games. There's been some incredible experiences across all the platforms.

Returnal though, has an atmosphere, sound design, gameplay precision thats just at another level this generation

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
There are no new IP's.......it's all remasters, sequels, reboots, remakes....it's sad really
Self-fulfilling prophecy.

We want new IPS!
This game sucks I want another CoD #25678
Wow this CoD blows I want another new IP. They don't make anything anymore.

Another case of Gamers not knowing what they want.

Or companies make a new IP but load it with a poison pill that contains political agendas, GaaS systems, cashshop, FOMO content, poor support which cements the IP's doom or they release IP against a game giant that feeds the new experimental game it's own face.

Danjin44

Self-fulfilling prophecy.

We want new IPS!
This game sucks I want another CoD #25678
Wow this CoD blows I want another new IP. They don't make anything anymore.

Another case of Gamers not knowing what they want.

Or companies make a new IP but load it with a poison pill that contains political agendas, GaaS systems, cashshop, FOMO content, poor support which cements the IP's doom or they release IP against a game giant that feeds the new experimental game it's own face.
We get new IPs but most people ignore it like they did with games like 13 Sentinels and Astral chain because its not high tech enough.

Basically people want stupid high budget and also expecting for devs take risk to make stupid high budget game while also they want it come out faster......people are so far removed how reality works.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
We get new IPs but most people ignore it like they did with games like 13 Sentinels and Astral chain because its not high tech enough.

Basically people want stupid high budget and also expecting for devs take risk to make stupid high budget game while also they want it come out faster......people are so far removed how reality works.
Frustrating isn't it. It's why I think games operating on a AA budget would fare better when it comes to creativity and experimentation. Most AAA games perform well then you already know how the game will play as the framework is already there and you know you have an audience.

When you throw money at a problem with a lot of games from Square Enix for example you get a lot of diminishing returns when big name games lack an identity and don't know what they want to be and then they get disappointed with how Tomb Raider or FF isn't selling enough. Whereas when you have some AA budgeted games like Star Ocean turn out to be a lot of fun. Both Divine Force(overlooked) and Second Story R(acknowledged). Likewise with Octopath and Triangle Strategy.

Like some devs know how to make a game and others start out strong but just fall apart halfway through with some poor decisions that mainly come topside on a corporate level.

Roberts

Never finished Returnal but I enjoyed many aspects of it. Just had the misfortune playing it at the same time I played Hades and as a rogue-like I simply connected more with that one. Hi-Fi Rush, Starfield, ER, Jusant, Pentiment, Lies of P and my personal favourite Grounded would be higher on the list.

Last edited:

noise36

One of my favorite things about Neogaf is how for years after a Sony exclusive comes out that got average to good reviews we get threads claiming how great and under appreciated it was. i.e. Days Gone

I played for 150 hours initially then came back on a completely clean "save" last weekend and have been addicted all over again.

It's in my Top 5 of all time and game of the gen unless some really crazy shit comes along. It just hits every note right for me. And that OST across the board is just beautiful.

Derelict Citadel is one of my favorite levels in gaming to put that out there.

NanaMiku

13 Sentinels was really risky, even compared to the usual Vanillaware's art, it's still really simple, just walking around animation. But man, that game is Vanillaware's magnum opus

tommib

I played for 150 hours initially then came back on a completely clean "save" last weekend and have been addicted all over again.

It's in my Top 5 of all time and game of the gen unless some really crazy shit comes along. It just hits every note right for me. And that OST across the board is just beautiful.

Derelict Citadel is one of my favorite levels in gaming to put that out there.
I hope they work with Bobby Krlic again. The soundtrack is divine and so fucking lush - almost too good compared to the lacklustre music we get all around (thinking about all the symphonic generic crap from Sony AAA). I bought the vinyl just to have the cover in the office.

Returnal was lightning in a bottle. Afraid we won’t see anything like it again for some time.

tommib

One of my favorite things about Neogaf is how for years after a Sony exclusive comes out that got average to good reviews we get threads claiming how great and under appreciated it was. i.e. Days Gone
So average that it won a BAFTA for best video game of the year:

The more games are released the more Returnal stands out because there’s still nothing at that level of gameplay, atmosphere and pure creativity.

I hope they work with Bobby Krlic again. The soundtrack is divine and so fucking lush - almost too good compared to the lacklustre music we get all around (thinking about all the symphonic generic crap from Sony AAA). I bought the vinyl just to have the cover in the office.

Returnal was lightning in a bottle. Afraid we won’t see anything like it again for some time.
Harry Krueger just left Housemarque so I feel like Returnal is fucked. Would be really upsetting.

bender

What time is it?
Some of the poor decisions made in the rogue-lite implementation hold it back from greatness.

Danjin44

13 Sentinels was really risky, even compared to the usual Vanillaware's art, it's still really simple, just walking around animation. But man, that game is Vanillaware's magnum opus
It looks Unicorn Overlord is going to be their biggest game yet. I really respect Vanillaware for just making new IPs, they dont release games often compare to other devs so when they do release game they wanted to be entirely new experience....mad respect.

Yeah I was surprised

I played this on Switch and didn't think it was that good at first. But the more I played of it the more I ended up loving the story. The twists actually surprised me and I really love the ending. As for the SRPG Gameplay, that I felt was the weakest aspect of the game. Also runs great on Switch and I didn't notice any visual differences between the PS4 and Switch versions

Top Bottom