• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Best Playstation Generation?

Which Playstation generation is the best?

• Ps1

Votes: 55 20.3%
  • Ps2

Votes: 129 47.6%
  • Ps3

Votes: 30 11.1%
  • Ps4

Votes: 41 15.1%
  • Ps5

Votes: 12 4.4%
  • Psp

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Ps Vita

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters

Banned
Casualisation started with the PS1. A lot of people i knew who would never play videogames became gamers thanks to Sony making them a trend.

I'm talking about 2 NPCs talking to you, solving puzzled for you, telling you what to do next every chance they get.

controls being hyper-context-sensitive with semi automated platforming and no player agency.

slow walking sequences for "cinematic" scenes.

that kinda shit.

3 was notable for Naughty Dog becoming the greatest developer on earth.

that's a weird way to spell "worst"... is that a weird dialect I don't know?

Last edited:

GametimeUK

I actually voted for PS3 on this. Honestly I know the system was super jank and there's no denying it, but I wasn't really sensitive towards framerates back then.

As much as I love and appreciate the PS2 and understand its cultural impact, I think the PS3 takes it due to more games aging better and the online connectivity.

PS3 having a digital storefront to push indie games along with better online multiplayer than the PS2 really unlocks a lot of potential that the PS2 didn't have. I think game design in general hit its stride in this generation although it can be seen as generic and formulaic.

Pelao

For me it is Ps4.
5kgwTUK.png
Funny how that image has a bunch of PS2 games or remakes of PS2 games.
(Well, actually it has a bunch of PSP, Vita and PS3 game remasters as well.)
The PS4 was a good PlayStation generation, but nowhere near as great as the PS2 was.

Fredrik

I was a Dreamcast fanboy. PS2 was the devil. Hated it at least the first year but I eventually warmed up to it and it ended up alright.

PS3 was great, had free online when MS started that paying nonsense and gave birth to the AAA(A) 1st party quality still there today from being so difficult to master that they has to start coding to the metal.

PS4 was good too but I started gaming on PC and kinda fell out of console gaming, only used it for exclusives.

#1 for me is PS1, it’s what started it all, absolutely loved it and there was so many awesome games even early on with my old favorite Amiga dev Psygnosis being there firing on all cylinders.

PS1 > PS3 > PS2 > PS4

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PS4 was memorable, uncharted 4 should be in the same league as ocarina of time for greatest game of all time, GT Sport is many peoples choice for racing, Spider-Man did everything.

Aaron Olive

It will forever be PS2 until we get more than what once was.

All these titles had more than 2 games in the consoles tenure.

It had more than 1 GTA title
More final fantasy games
Devil may crys
Fighters/Tekken’s, street fighters/ etc
Racers -gran tursimo projects
MGS
SSX tricky
NBA street
Boxing games ready to rumble/ fight night.

Tony hawks
Spider-Man’s

Kinetica my fav. 💙

Despite tooling getting to a point to make game development easier for literally anyone at home to make a project…. gaming has stagnated severely.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

#1 for me is PS1, it’s what started it all, absolutely loved it and there was so many awesome games even early on with my old favorite Amiga dev Psygnosis being there firing on all cylinders.

I'm interested in how you're scoring this. Are you saying the PS1 is better relative for its time or are you saying its still the best today? Or a mixture of the two?

I've found some PS1 games quite difficult to return to now, but I don't really have that issue to the same extent from the PS2 gen.

Fredrik

I'm interested in how you're scoring this. Are you saying the PS1 is better relative for its time or are you saying its still the best today? Or a mixture of the two?

I've found some PS1 games quite difficult to return to now, but I don't really have that issue to the same extent from the PS2 gen.
Combination of all. For me it was in a league of it’s own, even the included demo with the T-Rex and manta ray was amazing, and it had CD audio and an amazing start with Ridge Racer, Wipeout, Destruction Derby, Tekken, etc. PAL versions were bad but I had it modded and played everything big in NTSC and had full RGB scart and it was just brilliant.

Ridaxan

PS5 easily, but in the absence of that as a decision I'll go with the PS4.

From a pure quality of life perspective there's no way I can choose any of the others. Nostalgia hits different depending on the person I guess.

GametimeUK

Combination of all. For me it was in a league of it’s own, even the included demo with the T-Rex and manta ray was amazing, and it had CD audio and an amazing start with Ridge Racer, Wipeout, Destruction Derby, Tekken, etc. PAL versions were bad but I had it modded and played everything big in NTSC and had full RGB scart and it was just brilliant.

Yeah I can definitely see where you're coming from there. It's funny because I mentioned indie games as a reason why I love the PS3, but I used to spend so much time on Net Yaroze titles on PS1. It was just a magical time and you're right about the PS1 just being a level above everything at the time.

E4iHW6t.png

Last edited:

ZehDon

PS2 is arguably the best console ever made. Its library of titles is a fucking murder's row; classic after classic after classic. All things being equal, I doubt we'll ever see another console with a library that diverse, yet, stacked with such undeniable quality.

PS1 has some absolute magic, no doubt, but its shovel ware ratio keeps the Wii up at night. PS3 has some stone cold classics, but, it's also pretty hit and miss. For every Uncharted 2, you have a HAZE. For every MGS4, you have a Lair. PS4 has some high points, but it's also where Sony's exclusives homogenised; I sure hope you like third person cinematic action-adventure games with open world RPG elements and a focus on cutscenes. PS5 is still underway, so judgement should be reserved.

Last edited:

begotten

Tempted to vote PS3. It's exclusive range might not be as classic or nostalgic as PS1 & PS2, or as good as PS4 - but that generation has the best catalogue of 3rd party games to compliment it's exclusives.

Mr Branding

Name your fondest memories with a Playstation console: the topic!

For me, it’s ps3, no contest.

Some of my most favourite games were available on the system: Oblivion, Gta4, Ass Creed 2/Brotherhood, God of war 3/Ascension, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Folklore, Castlevania LoS, Skyrim, Gta5, puppeteer, Little big planet, Mk9, Sf4, and lots more..

zellend

Neo Member
Personally I don't think there is a best. I've had great experiences on 1-4. PS5 in terms of performance and ease of use but I don't think it's had its wow game yet.

However each generation had so many unique memories it's hard to pick one.

Was playing MGS 1 on ps1 better than playing SOTC on ps2 or better than last of us on ps3 or better than GoW or GoT on ps4? These are jus example games, eg could change the last of us to resistance due to the custom shotgun and grenade online matches as that was really fun and so on and so on...

It might sound like a cop-out but when I think back each console has equal standing as I have great gaming memories for all of them.

TexMex

2 and 1 for sure. Very special place in my heart for 3. I’m also loving my 5.

4 was great, but probably the least memorable software wise for me.

cireza

Only console I enjoyed from them was the Vita, and it was a shit-fest in terms of user experience. But still, great hardware (except for the proprietary cards, because of course Sony couldn't use something standard) and a good way to play many games.

nial

but its shovel ware ratio keeps the Wii up at night.
And the PS2 does not?
First-party wise, for me it's:
PS1 > PS4 > PSP > PS Vita > PS2 >>>>>>>> PS3.
The Vita was good overall, but it lasted next to nothing, so there it goes. The PS2 apart from Japan Studio's games always seemed a bit boring to me. And the PS3 was disappointing, for every great game you had a lot of awful ones.

I have a soft spot for Ps1 because it was the first console i had when i was old enough to really be able to play video games on my own

oji-san

Banned
Voted PS3, but looking it as a whole and not only exclusives wise then PS3 and Xbox 360 was the best combo yet for me.. so many great games, and going from CRT to HD Ready was wow, first wireless controller etc.
Still holds the best time i had, i think for 7 years. All PS consoles was great tbh.

Solidus_T

Between 2 and 3 for me, but I picked PS2. When I mention the PS2, of course the backwards compatibility plays into it.

Spyxos

Which one got vanilla dark souls 2 on it?! That's ps3. that's damn right
And it was the worst version of all. How do I know? I stuttered my way through it :D

edit: Oops I thought you wrote part 1.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Casualisation started with the PS1. A lot of people i knew who would never play videogames became gamers thanks to Sony making them a trend.
Not really, because PS1 games were still games made for gamers. Casuals would maybe spend a month on Ridge Racer or Destruction Derby or they would button mash their way through Tekken, and that’d be it. Everyone I knew had a modded PS1 with a pirated copy of Tomb Raider, not a single one ever passed the second or at best the third level. Games looked cool to casuals, but the gameplay of most games was still too hardcore for the majority to grasp. Even long-time gamers had to adapt to controlling stuff in 3D environments. 1996 games left non- gamers gaping, but probably made few new gamers among grownups. 5th gen games were still very symbolic, very “gamey“, still largely unaccessible by the masses.

6th gen is when the scales tipped. Games like GTA3 with its lack of a definitive game over and the freedom to do lots of stuff beside the main quest did wonders to accommodate casuals.

man, thats tough.

ps1: best boot sequence by far, basically killed sega (ha - nothing against sega though), first console to successfully host games for an older audience.
ps2: tons of classics and interesting hardware, but... eh never got me that excited. tinge of normie.
ps3: comparatively not as many great games, but i love how stupid the console is (e3 reveal, cell, spiderman font, price) and it gave us demon's souls, so it's a classic. love the fat ps3.
ps4: pc hardware, snore... but bloodborne.
ps5: pc hardware, snore... but... tbd.

Top Bottom