• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Ass Superior Thread of Learning Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I wasn't offended. I view it like the equivalent having a day job (but doing it well, because I want to do well, and because I like teaching) and then going to night school in the evening. But sure, you are perfectly correct, I have absolutely no idea if it will work out, but there are worse ways of finding out.

Just in case my edits came up late, you are the prime example of what those positions should hire. Unfortunately there are not as many candidates like you.

Stalk

I don't even use the mnemonic unless it's a character or word that refuses to stick with me. I just like it as a quiz platform that has pretty good stat tracking via the API. it's also not for people who can afford to study full-time. but as someone who can only give 1-2 hours per day to study it's kind of perfect.

Pretty much how I use it as well, some of the mnemonics are useful if I'm having trouble with a certain character sticking mentally but more often than not just reading and yeah. I'm a beginner and I found the radicals stuff really useful as well, been doing it since May.

Edit: Realize now this may have been better suited for a different thread but saw there was some ALT talk going on and the heart of what I'm trying to accomplish is learning Japanese still so I'll leave it. Skip over if you don't want to waste time with a bit of reflection.

So I've been in Japan about 8 months now. There is definitely truth to this idea of speaking English all day at work and then meeting up with English speakers after for drinks and not learning jackshit. I hang out more often with Japanese at the bars now but I wouldn't say I learn too much. Just stumble through what I know, struggle with what I almost know, accidentally offend people sometimes but not usually, and lose a bunch of money.

I've been putting in more time to my kanji apps and doing a lot more reading with a dictionary so literacy is improving okay--excited to start some manga with no furigana soon--but speaking is difficult. I've moved most of my television to Japanese with no subtitles, which is okay. I don't understand tons but I am noticeably picking up on things and tying it into my reading and listening to natural conversations. Try and game in Japanese as well, but that can be harder and am not willing to sacrifice all of the games I've been looking forward to for full cultural immersion. Spend too much time on Gaf still and reading English on my kindle but I think those are more efficient choices than trying to study on the type of train rides i usually take.

Not sure what the point of this post was. Comments on my plans, choices, and what I could be doing better are always welcome. Guess I'm just saying I wouldn't necessarily recommend the life to everyone. It's easy to move out and not improve at all. I know a lot of people who have been here for years and don't know shit and am obliged to say that it is easy to do. Even having Japanese friends who don't speak English doesn't guarantee much--not to mention those aren't exactly easy to come by since I've lucked into mine. But, on the bright side, studying is easier than back home, immersion is easier, and I also know a lot of people who have become proficient enough in the language to get by and live the Japanese "dream".

I think the hardest thing is that working with kids can be tiring. It's hard to spend a full work week teaching and then not escape in your free time to something comfortable. I've known this for a long time, writing in my free time for years, but you need to be ready to be really tired until you can get amped by your studying. I think that is why I specifically have been focusing on reading and comprehension. I like to read. Getting to a place where reading Japanese or playing Yokai Watch or Dragon Quest is equal parts leisure and study makes it much easier for me.

Most of my negativity comes from personal issues like not really knowing what I'm doing here. I read manga now as practice but never touched it before I was here. The working culture seems like a nightmare and I have no dreams of joining it. Haven't watched anime regularly in like six years. The end game as far as I can tell is importing games and books to keep a wider literary perspective and get around localization waits/woes. If I happened into a serious relationship here, I would be in a difficult spot. Zero aspirations of being a teacher, and I'm aware that is frowned on by some, but I haven't met anyone I feel are doing their companies or students any harm. You can still speak English natively which is most of what they want you for and learning how to plan lessons and keep students engaged and happy actually makes your day-to-day life significantly easier so most people seem to do that reflexively. But the people I hang around are good people, so that could change things. I know there are some real pieces of work running around but I've kept my distance there.

Turning off the LiveJournal now. Hopefully this was useful to anyone considering the change.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
It's like.. I know what I'm talking about..

But for real I'll reply more in depth when I have time.

In the mean time, no joke, I read this same type of post on facebook from someone last night. Obviously I've friended thousands of people and a bunch are old alts. This person I think was there for 6-7 years and now is back home and a sub teacher. She was writing how lost she is in life since coming back and only fell into teaching here because she wasted so much time doing it there and can't afford the time or money right now to just do what she loves. She hasn't had any relationships since Japan, put on weight, doesn't have anything to show for being there, etc. She was basically the perfect candidate for a lifer but thought she could be better. Ah well.

urfe

Uhhh... My first year in Japan was singing and dancing with little kids, getting drunk all night with whoever, and playing Mario Kart.

It was probably the most awesome and carefree time in my life.

This is the Japanese OT, but Japanese isn't all there is to life or living in Japan. Have fun. Who cares if someone, somewhere thinks you're dork.

Better yet, in the Japan OT we should plan another meet-up.

On topic, here's my favorite passage from Franny and Zooey, as translated by Murakami. I had once thought reading books I had already read in English was a good idea, but then I realized that they don't sound foreign and it's best to power through Japanese novels

CUlcdE2VEAAP4k_

RangerBAD

People in general work jobs they don't like so they can pay bills and do what they want in their free time. Few people love their jobs. The lucky few. It's not a unique thing to end up in a field you dislike to fulfill other needs/desires. I do agree with expert that being an ALT is more a foot in the door sort of thing. I don't have a college education, so I couldn't really teach English if I went there.

It's like.. I know what I'm talking about..

But for real I'll reply more in depth when I have time.

In the mean time, no joke, I read this same type of post on facebook from someone last night. Obviously I've friended thousands of people and a bunch are old alts. This person I think was there for 6-7 years and now is back home and a sub teacher. She was writing how lost she is in life since coming back and only fell into teaching here because she wasted so much time doing it there and can't afford the time or money right now to just do what she loves. She hasn't had any relationships since Japan, put on weight, doesn't have anything to show for being there, etc. She was basically the perfect candidate for a lifer but thought she could be better. Ah well.
Sounds dire. I read your post linked further up the page and realize I fit into what you were describing, regardless of whether I try or not to improve my teaching ability and keep my kids happy (which I do). I'm not sure if there's anything to be done about that except to keep trying hard to do well at it though. Not to get too much into it, but I'm not too concerned about my prospects on getting back. I'm more concerned with making better use of the time I'm here. I'm starting to pull back from the foreigners I know but I don't have anything more useful to fill that time with besides self-study, which actually seems pretty nice but not beyond what could reasonably be attained shutting myself inside and self-studying back home.

I'm an expert

Sounds dire. I read your post linked further up the page and realize I fit into what you were describing, regardless of whether I try or not to improve my teaching ability and keep my kids happy (which I do). I'm not sure if there's anything to be done about that except to keep trying hard to do well at it though. Not to get too much into it, but I'm not too concerned about my prospects on getting back. I'm more concerned with making better use of the time I'm here. I'm starting to pull back from the foreigners I know but I don't have anything more useful to fill that time with besides self-study, which actually seems pretty nice but not beyond what could reasonably be attained shutting myself inside and self-studying back home.

In every prefecture I lived in there were tons of activities to partake in. I did basketball, rock climbing, dancing, iaido, fgc, mtg, rugby, camping, so on so on. Unless you live in a remote rural area you should have no problem finding tons of groups and meetups. The j are really good at organizing recurring events. The issue is are you an introvert or not. If you are, no surprise.

Jintor

Also who will be participating. Most of the groups around here (pretty much inaka) afaik are old people. I mean, which is fine, if you want to practice your japanese friendly people are friendly people. But you're probably not going to find as many younger peeps doing younger peep things.

I'm an expert

Also who will be participating. Most of the groups around here (pretty much inaka) afaik are old people. I mean, which is fine, if you want to practice your japanese friendly people are friendly people. But you're probably not going to find as many younger peeps doing younger peep things.

You have to head for the nearest city. I knew people stationed in the deepest of rural places on Shikoku who would drive 3-4 hours every Friday to get to the city and back to civilization.

In every prefecture I lived in there were tons of activities to partake in. I did basketball, rock climbing, dancing, iaido, fgc, mtg, rugby, camping, so on so on. Unless you live in a remote rural area you should have no problem finding tons of groups and meetups. The j are really good at organizing recurring events. The issue is are you an introvert or not. If you are, no surprise.
Mostly physical activities. I don't think introversion really plays into whether that flies or not. A lot of people I know do music, but that doesn't grab me either. At the same time, I'm sure there's plenty of stuff I could find but finding it doesn't seem as easy as you make it out. I'll look into it.

Edit: "clubs in Tokyo" is definitely not the way to go as far as Google search

Jintor

You're probably better off looking for Circles or サークル if i had to guess. Though even then, Tokyo be big, so you should try... I dunno, if you're on JET or something ask through a supervisor, if you're going to Uni that should be a good starting point.

You're probably better off looking for Circles or サークル if i had to guess. Though even then, Tokyo be big, so you should try... I dunno, if you're on JET or something ask through a supervisor, if you're going to Uni that should be a good starting point.
Nah, just private company and left to my own devices. I had forgotten about the circle thing, I'll see how that goes. Anyway, at this point I think I should steer this into the Japan thread.

For here, maybe the practicality of reading/studying/tv with practice primarily at bars, language exchange, and music events versus filling time with events.

I'm an expert

If you're living in Tokyo and complaining about not being able to find things to fill your time, I have really no words.

I'm an expert

What's disappointing..? Isn't what's holding you back that you're not proficient enough in Japanese to read/speak and so you're using that as an excuse to not find things to do than sit inside and play games? If that's not it then the problem is just you and not whatever temporary location you're in. You'll have to work on yourself first.

Finding circles and activities is insanely easy, especially in Tokyo. I know people living in fuckin Kochi who have busier social lives than those in Osaka. You just have to be motivated to put yourself out there.

Edit: btw I know I still have a lot of posts/pms to respond to but my firm is closed thurs/fri so it's been a busy few days. Hard to write more thought out posts. Hopefully in the next few days.

What's disappointing..? Isn't what's holding you back that you're not proficient enough in Japanese to read/speak and so you're using that as an excuse to not find things to do than sit inside and play games? If that's not it then the problem is just you and not whatever temporary location you're in. You'll have to work on yourself first.

Finding circles and activities is insanely easy, especially in Tokyo. I know people living in fuckin Kochi who have busier social lives than those in Osaka. You just have to be motivated to put yourself out there.

Edit: btw I know I still have a lot of posts/pms to respond to but my firm is closed thurs/fri so it's been a busy few days. Hard to write more thought out posts. Hopefully in the next few days.
Well, no. It's not about finding something to do--it's about finding something more fulfilling. I go to a lot of events and I know a lot of people. I have more stuff I can do than I have time or money for. But I haven't been satisfied with them so have been pulling back towards studying more. I can read enough to consume basic media, so I've been more satisfied with my progress doing this than the things I had been doing previously but am not sure whether how to find what circles or activities are out there better suited to my interests without having anything specific in mind.

Resilient

doesn't it then come down to not actually knowing what you like?

expert, surely there are local basketball teams that you can join? I think I may reach Nirvana if I could join a pick-up basketball team and play in a tournament in Japan....the dunks man..the dunks.....

urfe

Well, no. It's not about finding something to do--it's about finding something more fulfilling. I go to a lot of events and I know a lot of people. I have more stuff I can do than I have time or money for. But I haven't been satisfied with them so have been pulling back towards studying more. I can read enough to consume basic media, so I've been more satisfied with my progress doing this than the things I had been doing previously but am not sure whether how to find what circles or activities are out there better suited to my interests without having anything specific in mind.

Mind if I ask how old you are?
(I'm 31 if it matters)

doesn't it then come down to not actually knowing what you like?

expert, surely there are local basketball teams that you can join? I think I may reach Nirvana if I could join a pick-up basketball team and play in a tournament in Japan....the dunks man..the dunks.....
I was under the impression expert was back in the states. For me, it may be that to some extent, but most of what I did back home required advanced language abilities I don't yet have. So not knowing what I would like in the interim, but also already having things to do so not just looking for anything.
Mind if I ask how old you are?
(I'm 31 if it matters)
Not at all, 27 here.

I'm an expert

Dude I have no clue wtf you're even trying say. I have so much to do, but I'm so bored. I'm not good at Japanese, but I'm kind of good. I know a lot of people, but I don't know how to find people.

Like I said. The issue is you and inside your head. We can't do anything for you in this thread. Let's just go back to japanese study.

Porcile

Oops. I was messing around trying to set up two different HouHou instances, and I accidentally deleted the entirety of my vocab list, which was sitting at around 1200 words. It has a recover option, but it doesn't seem to work, so all the work I put into it is now gone. Fuck that shit though, I think it's a blessing in disguise, I've been using it for a few months now and waking up every morning and having to go through it AND Wanikani is just a massive pain. It was all written in hiragana anyway, which I think was a mistake.

Dude I have no clue wtf you're even trying say. I have so much to do, but I'm so bored. I'm not good at Japanese, but I'm kind of good. I know a lot of people, but I don't know how to find people.

Like I said. The issue is you and inside your head. We can't do anything for you in this thread. Let's just go back to japanese study.
I think you're projecting issues into my posts, to be honest. I never said I was bored. I said from the get go that my reading was good enough for simple media, but I'm not great at speaking. You've mentioned several times how busy you are so it might be that you thought you identified problems and made some assumptions. Below is and always was my main question, just sandwiched in with some other thoughts in the first part since there was discussion on the page about moving to Japan.

Japanese study. Books, comics, TV, media, with some SRS and practice with Japanese friends and strangers at the bars. Is that safe enough or is there something better but still mostly enjoyable I could be doing for study? I feel like it will work fine long term but obviously faster, more enjoyable, and more social are always better. Finding social activities kind of weaseled in there, true, but I certainly never said I didn't have any. Just I was pulling back from mine for study and wondering if there were better things to do.

I'm an expert

Cant stand the word projecting. It implies I or anyone else gives enough fucks about someone to create some fantasy version in my head where I know exactly who and what you are through text on the internet and I can make you fit some perfect scenario that makes me oh so fuckin smart. Wrong. All I know is what you type and you're the one who went into the quarter life crisis bit about why am I hereeee what am I doinggggg.. I mean that's how I read it. If I read it wrong, there ya go, simple miscommunication.

I do still plan to reply to the actual on topic issues here, just wanted to get that out of the way.
I dont mean this is any negative way, or any offense, really. Just that it seems your issues are more than 'i haven't accomplished my study goals' and that shit is not for us.

urfe

I think you're projecting issues into my posts, to be honest. I never said I was bored. I said from the get go that my reading was good enough for simple media, but I'm not great at speaking. You've mentioned several times how busy you are so it might be that you thought you identified problems and made some assumptions. Below is and always was my main question, just sandwiched in with some other thoughts in the first part since there was discussion on the page about moving to Japan.

Japanese study. Books, comics, TV, media, with some SRS and practice with Japanese friends and strangers at the bars. Is that safe enough or is there something better but still mostly enjoyable I could be doing for study? I feel like it will work fine long term but obviously faster, more enjoyable, and more social are always better. Finding social activities kind of weaseled in there, true, but I certainly never said I didn't have any. Just I was pulling back from mine for study and wondering if there were better things to do.

Not sure how this comes across, but how about a girlfriend?

Just don't talk mimic her way of talking.

I'm an expert

I'm just quoting this so I don't keep editing the same thing, but sure a relationship or friendship is always good. Just to be clear, when you're IN Japan you're not supposed to be fucking locking yourself inside and studying tv and games and shit. That immersion is to mimic being in Japan when you're not actually in fucking Japan. You're in fucking Japan. Make things a part of your daily routine. Read the news in the morning or watch a morning show, small talk with the same people on your daily commute, get involved in something after work that has nothing to do with foreigners. Sure you can set aside some time to do tradition textbook study or practice kanji, whatever, but the whole point of you being there is that every second you are not in your shit apartment you are naturally studying. It's just organic. If you let it be.

Looking at earlier posts, seems you bought a mountain of manga and games last year. Didnt you already do this shit? That's not why you're in Japan. Why not volunteer somewhere? Or try to apprentice at a profession.
Perhaps what you really need is a different job.

Cant stand the word projecting. It implies I or anyone else gives enough fucks about someone to create some fantasy version in my head where I know exactly who and what you are through text on the internet and I can make you fit some perfect scenario that makes me oh so fuckin smart. Wrong. All I know is what you type and you're the one who went into the quarter life crisis bit about why am I hereeee what am I doinggggg.. I mean that's how I read it. If I read it wrong, there ya go, simple miscommunication.

I do still plan to reply to the actual on topic issues here, just wanted to get that out of the way.
I dont mean this is any negative way, or any offense, really. Just that it seems your issues are more than 'i haven't accomplished my study goals' and that shit is not for us.
Let's just say there was miscommunication and move past it. No interest in arguing, much interest in studying.

I wouldn't be opposed but it hasn't happened yet. Keeping my eyes open, no worries.
I'm just quoting this so I don't keep editing the same thing, but sure a relationship or friendship is always good. Just to be clear, when you're IN Japan you're not supposed to be fucking locking yourself inside and studying tv and games and shit. That immersion is to mimic being in Japan when you're not actually in fucking Japan. You're in fucking Japan. Make things a part of your daily routine. Read the news in the morning or watch a morning show, small talk with the same people on your daily commute, get involved in something after work that has nothing to do with foreigners. Sure you can set aside some time to do tradition textbook study or practice kanji, whatever, but the whole point of you being there is that every second you are not in your shit apartment you are naturally studying. It's just organic. If you let it be.

Looking at earlier posts, seems you bought a mountain of manga and games last year. Didnt you already do this shit? That's not why you're in Japan. Why not volunteer somewhere? Or try to apprentice at a profession.
Perhaps what you really need is a different job.
Ouch, the post history. But you're right. I did mention in that first post that the studying I'm doing is something I could technically have done at home. Most of what I bought last year were LNs I can't read to this day. I brought a few back with me for when I can handle them, but they were always future purchases. So being able to actually consume media is a new and enjoyable thing, really.

I'll look into shit for after work. Really nothing to argue beyond b-b-but it's fun. Well, vocab.

I'm an expert

You know what you need in your life. Some igo. I used to play in some Ikebukuro salons. They're everywhere. Go and play and meet people. The bigger ones have people of all levels.

You know what you need in your life. Some igo. I used to play in some Ikebukuro salons. They're everywhere. Go and play and meet people. The bigger ones have people of all levels.
Well i do live in Ikebukuro and have thought about learning. Can't say I've noticed anything around but I'll check it out tomorrow. Thanks!

I'm an expert

Krist if you livin in the buke you should be drowning in things to do and people to bang. Just youth and sex overflowing from everywhere.

Kurita

Don't be so grumpy.

Interpreting exam was alright today, I was expecting something harder heh. It was mostly focused around numbers and stuff.
(also took TOEIC this morning, there's a chance I'll have a perfect score yaaaay)
Next step : N2 next week...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
27 years old, single, somewhat proficient at Japanese, living in Ikebukuro... man, I cannot understand how you are having any trouble at all finding things to do. Are you depressed by chance?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Stop projecting Zef.

Seriously, though... Other than being a college student with rich parents, I'm hard pressed to think of a more optimal situation for going out and doing all kinds of fun stuff. It would be a damn shame to waste such an opportunity by staying in doors all of the time doing stuff you could do anywhere in the world.

Darksol

Even apart from the numerous activities and clubs one can join, I think there's something to be said for the simple pleasure of going to an izakaya and striking up conversations with random people. It's a very relaxed atmosphere, and most people have a few drinks in them already, so it helps break down that shyness and facilitate conversation.

upandaway

Don't be so grumpy.

Interpreting exam was alright today, I was expecting something harder heh. It was mostly focused around numbers and stuff.
(also took TOEIC this morning, there's a chance I'll have a perfect score yaaaay)
Good luck man

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Don't be so grumpy.

Are you a native speaker of English? Why take TOEIC?

Are you a native speaker of English? Why take TOEIC?

he's French, though you'd never know it by his English.

Good luck on tests Kurita :D

If anyone wants a distraction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fyKEGJ3KN8&index=1&list=PL1Z1KdfmKueZLRGeb8NcuAWtTPVOxgnB-

Three Japanese dudes playing Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes.

I've only watched the first video but these guys are hilarious.

just a few minutes in and already loving this

urfe

I wouldn't be opposed but it hasn't happened yet. Keeping my eyes open, no worries

Perhaps I'm misreading, but it sounds like you want meaningful human interaction, and a relationship is the easiest way to do that. It's also a goldmine for Japanese speaking chances, so win win.

I wasn't really saying go pick up ladies every night or anything, but really, that is a fun (albeit less meaningful) option too.

Regarding Japanese study specifically, I used to like studying all vocab for specific situations so I could feel fluent at something. For example, learn all ATM Japanese, learn all sushi Japanese, learn all igo Japanese. Learn all of something so when you're there you don't feel 5 years old while you're doing it. It's great for one's self-worth.

edit: also DO NOT get into the habit of letting other people do things for you.

27 years old, single, somewhat proficient at Japanese, living in Ikebukuro... man, I cannot understand how you are having any trouble at all finding things to do. Are you depressed by chance?
Stop projecting Zef.
Lol, not depressed. Again, it's not about not having anything to do so much as finding the right things to do. I'll just shut up about my situation though before I say something that makes this worse.
Perhaps I'm misreading, but it sounds like you want meaningful human interaction, and a relationship is the easiest way to do that. It's also a goldmine for Japanese speaking chances, so win win.

I wasn't really saying go pick up ladies every night or anything, but really, that is a fun (albeit less meaningful) option too.

Regarding Japanese study specifically, I used to like studying all vocab for specific situations so I could feel fluent at something. For example, learn all ATM Japanese, learn all sushi Japanese, learn all igo Japanese. Learn all of something so when you're there you don't feel 5 years old while you're doing it. It's great for one's self-worth.

edit: also DO NOT get into the habit of letting other people do things for you.
I don't think you're wrong. Just hasn't happened.

Your study advice makes sense too. I've gradually done that with the stations, but I see the appeal in focused useful vocab study. I'll combine that with expert's advice to find an igo salon and give that a shot. ATM could definitely use some work too ha.

I try to do as much as I can for myself. There's some stuff I just don't think I could pull off, certainly not when it needed to be done, but hopefully by the next time I need to worry about them (phone contract, finding an apartment, setting up utilities) it won't be an issue.

Resilient

Right things to do to find what to do:
Ask coworkers, friends recommended activities
Google typical touristy things to do in The bukes

Bad things to do:
Study in your room

If you go back home in a year you'll be kicking yourself for spending any time studying in your room instead of just living. You need to freshen up, go out there and just do random stuff. I don't ive in japan but im getting confused , I've been there for 6 weeks total and each time I was there I was super pissed when i thought about any time I wasted not doing stuff. And there is a lot of stuff to do. My head hurts

Edit : it doesn't matter f you're limited by the language, it's too late to be concerned about that. Just make the most of the time you have and stumble through whatever you do

I'm an expert

Do not steal my nicknames for places. You have never heard anyone call ikebukuro bukes before 3 hours ago.

Resilient

Do not steal my nicknames for places. You have never heard anyone call ikebukuro bukes before 3 hours ago.

the dude is having an existential crisis, there was no time for me to spell it properly. now let me continue studying my jgo while i bang ALTs in a donqi. source: your posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom