• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The "big three" should be called the "big four" now.

Resenge

My bad. Still, they need to make it work without needing a router connected to the internet. If internet goes out, this device should be able to function wirelessly instead of going full retard.
You do not need the internet to wirelessly play VR with a router. Are you just assuming or is someone feeding you bad info?

This is a dongle that does the same as a wifi enabled router, it's just that everbody has a router and its an easy task to utilise it rather than buying more hardware. PCVR is kind of a tinkerers toy atm.

Last edited:
And the fourth pillar is none other than Meta. No no, wait, don't leave yet!

Hustling 50 Cent GIF

You do not need the internet to wirelessly play VR with a router. Are you just assuming or is someone feeding you bad info?

This is a dongle that does the same as a wifi enabled router, it's just that everbody has a router and its an easy task to utilise it rather than buying more hardware. PCVR is kind of a tinkerers toy atm.
I tried that shit with a separate router and without an internet connection it would not work despite everything being configured the same.

Resenge

I tried that shit with a separate router and without an internet connection it would not work despite everything being configured the same.
I have a seprate PC with a dedicated router for my Daughters PC. cheap router and works great. I know its not ideal for mass adoption not plug and play, the tech is stil developing but It is usable and works well, if you can work around your problems.

I have a seprate PC with a dedicated router for my Daughters PC. cheap router and works great. I know its not ideal for mass adoption not plug and play, the tech is stil developing but It is usable and works well, if you can work around your problems.
The setup I configured works but is far from ideal. Not only does it require an internet connection but the image quality and framerate consistency is poor compared to wired. A developed consumer technology should at most require plugging things in, navigating a menu, and pressing a button. This is an enthusiast product not ready for mainstream adoption.

Steam Deck on the other hand...

Christian Bale Oooo GIF

Last edited:

Resenge

The setup I configured works but is far from ideal. Not only does it require an internet connection but the image quality and framerate consistency is poor compared to wired. A developed consumer technology should at most require plugging things in, navigating a menu, and pressing a button. This is an enthusiast product not ready for mainstream adoption.

Steam Deck on the other hand...

Christian Bale Oooo GIF
Sounds like user error, wireless pcvr does not require an Internet connection unless you are playing an online game.

I agree it's not ready for the masses, it needs to be simplified, you are proof of that. It does work well though and is being refined constantly.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Not yet, maybe in 20 years, when it has even thinner lenses, oled, 8k, lighter, and the power of a PS5 in it. Even then, if we are at that point, MS and Sony and Nintendo will jump in, so maybe not.

Last edited:
Sounds like user error, wireless pcvr does not require an Internet connection unless you are playing a online game.
The Quest 2 does and I do not know what to tell you. It only works with a single wireless network at any one time and it must be internet connected.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So, I do think I get your point, OP and I even agree with it to an extent in terms of Meta attempting to drive innovation.

What they lack, though, is broader relevance. It's the same reason nobody considered Stadia or Luna to be a major force in gaming relative to the established platform holders.

Resenge

The Quest 2 does and I do not know what to tell you. It only works with a single wireless network at any one time and it must be internet connected.
The quest 2 does not.

I have 2 of them as well as 2 quest 1 and a quest 3, none of them need Internet to use wireless pcvr.

I have a pc with a dedicated quest router that I can disconnect Internet access and my quests will still connect to the pc and play the pcvr games offline.

Pcvr is a internal connection between your quest and pc through your router (other options are available) Internet access is only needed to validate virtual desktop on your quest but the rest of the time it's offline capable.

I can even use the quest to stream and play flat screen games to the headset offline.

Last edited:

Resenge

So, you still need internet and are full of shit.
Nope, I just know what I'm talking about. App validation is common practice. You have to have a valid licence to use it, you know like all other major console manufacturers use also?

Last edited:
Nope, I just know what I'm talking about. App validation is common practice. You have a valid licence to use it, you know like all other major console manufacturers use also?
Unless I am missing something, your provider can turn off service and then you can't validate virtual desktop.

Resenge

I can run my Series S with all apps offline... If my router gets disconnected there is no problem.
Just the same as the quest, but if the validation servers are turned off, how long will that last? You will lose access in time without validation.

I do not lose access to Pcvr without Internet, please understand that this is a fact.

It's fun discussing this with you even with you even with your insult, but I gotta sleep. Double check what I said if you think Im full of shit, I challenge you to prove me wrong.

Night guy.

Last edited:
Just the same as the quest, but if the validation servers are turned off, how long will that last? You will lose access in time without validation.
I do not know how long, but I have run Series S for weeks offline before without issue. Last I checked I cannot even start VR link without connection.

Last edited:

Resenge

Have you tried it?
Yes many times. I keep telling you I have a dedicated PCVR router connection that is just for my quest. I have lost internet many times and still played pcvr through a local WiFi connection.

Anyway it's late, I gotta sleep. Please don't take my word for it, check it out.

Last edited:
Yes many times. I keep telling you I have a dedicated PCVR router connection that is just for my quest. I have lost internet many times and still played pcvr through a local WiFi connection.
I don't believe you had your internet disconnected upon booting it. I have a dedicated router also. If you did it, I am curious as to what settings your PC Rift software and headset had as I have to pair the two every time it is booted.

Last edited:

Resenge

I don't believe you had your internet disconnected upon booting it. If you did I am curious as to what settings your Rift software and headset had as I have to pair the two every time it is booted.
Don't believe me then, please go do your own research. Doesn't make what I'm saying any less true.

I do not know what you are doing to warrant pairing each boot dude but that is not normal.

Anyway Zzzzzzz

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
I wonder if the people mentioning Valve realize that OP was referring to this:
The reason I say Quest is a console is because its a closed hardware platform, with is own games, game store and even first party exclusives, in the end it has more in common with an Xbox or Nintendo than a PC or phone.
It's funny that some of you talk about the Steam Deck, when a lot of its hardcore fanbase don't see it as a console by any means.

Last edited:

darthvargi

Not yet, maybe in 20 years, when it has even thinner lenses, oled, 8k, lighter, and the power of a PS5 in it. Even then, if we are at that point, MS and Sony and Nintendo will jump in, so maybe not.
That's not going to take 20 years to accomplish. We're not that far now, maybe five years roughly and you'll have your wish. The real problem is battery and cooling. I think that is going to be a bottleneck more than raw silicone.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
That's not going to take 20 years to accomplish. We're not that far now, maybe five years roughly and you'll have your wish. The real problem is battery and cooling. I think that is going to be a bottleneck more than raw silicone.

Somewhat, if you want to pay $2500. But for the mass market $499, we are probably that far off.

Last edited:

Ian Henry

The dreamer in me wishes Samsung would enter but that's not gonna happen at all

In terms of Big Four, Valve is more up there than Meta considering how expansive, yet convenient Steam is and it's relevance within the modern gaming landscape.

Meta has it's uniqueness but it def needs an official identity. Something that matches it's innovation.

KiteGr

If we don't know about "how big Meta Quest is", then it's currently most likelly for casuals.

If it's for casuals, then it might as well be the mobile crap on the playstore. We don't compare those to the "Big 3" no mater how big they are.

If you are going to call them Big 4, then the 4th contender is obviously PC that had consistently lots and big hardcore supporters and games. I can also tell that the more the Consoles are leaning towards the "Digital" and "Service" model, the more people will migrate back on PC. There is no point in buying a seperate machine if all it does is running a clunkier service, than the one that could be runned better elsewhere.

I can get behind that.

Meta Quest 2 sold ~20 million units, if I am not mistaken in ~2-3 years? That's roughly the same number of units that Xbox Series X|S sold. I don't think "VR is niche" is an argument that is as valid as before - especially if we're just talking about gaming platform companies in the industry.

We can't say that Meta is a "console" manufacturer because of the technical differences, but as a gaming platform, it certainly deserves recognition.
I think VR as of now is still pretty niche, and if you compare the sales to the Series consoles, then you could say that the Series consoles are pretty niche also.

If only Quest 3 would have eye tracking and foveated rendering it would be a complete revolution for VR but we are not there yet. If Quest 4 improves its iteration with more powerful hardware yet again and includes these other things, it might be ready for the masses and get out of niche space.

Neo_GAF

Banned
i thought you are going to mention steam deck.

oculus quest is another story.
you could also combine all apple devices sold at this point too.
or everyone who has the sub for apple arcade.

Neo_GAF

Banned
LMAO if anyone is the new member of the Big 4 it's Apple, the company which actually makes all the money in gaming.

partly right.
numbers of ingame-stores of lets say genshin impact are not included, if they are not played on ps/apple/android

Resenge

Possible to wirelessly connect to PC without internet connection?
You don't need internet to play via air link / virtual desktop, just the router really, and you don't need to do anything, thatvis just how it works

Can I do Wireless PCVR without a good wireless router and without good internet speed?
Your internet connection speed isn't relevant for streaming PCVR, what matters is the wifi speed between the PC and the VR system. two totally different things.

Can I run VD with no internet access?
Yes you can use VD for PCVR streaming from your own computer without internet access.
Multiplayer games won’t work of course (no internet) but all the singleplayer stuff will.

How is Wireless PCVR on the quest 2?
WIFI is required. Internet is not - but most games need it.
You are connecting to your PC via your router and wifi.
Actual internet data consumption will be based on the game you are playing.

do i have good enough internet to play PCVR games wirelessly well on Quest 2?
PCVR has nothing to do with your internet speed as the data transferred never leaves your house. It’s your WiFi LAN that needs to be good. Either a 5ghz band that is completely empty besides your oculus, or a dedicated wifi6 router with your pc plugged in using a minimum cat5e cable. Or, using a link cable.

Does the Quest 2 require good internet for PCVR !
Common misconception, but you don't use the Internet when connecting your Quest to a PC.
The signals stay within your home network and do not travel out to the Internet.
This means that Internet connection speed has no bearing on the communication between PC and quest.

Using a router for VD without a Internet connection.
Yes totally possible. Try Airlink first.

Does Oculus Link work without internet?
I do not believe the link feature requires any sort of internet connection. I am not sure about the installation process but to assist you and verify my claim I just turned off all my connections and ran Half Life Alyx via steam and Oculus link with no issues.

Do I have to connect my router to internet to play PCVR?
For wireless PCVR you only need to be on the same local network, you don't need an internet connection.

Dumb question: can you play online games via link if your pc doesn’t have internet but your quest does?
I'm pretty sure that pcvr is just streaming to the quest headset so your pc would need internet for online games (Not sure about single player). I could be wrong though but I believe that's how it works

I think you're confusing wifi and internet.
If you have a wifi router connected to the internet, and your pc (now broken) and your headset both connect to the router wirelessly (wrong way to do it), then your sentence makes sense. But no, if you're playing an online PCVR game, the PC will need internet access as that is where the game is running, the Q2 becomes a monitor.

The research is done. You are full of shit unless you can replicate it without an intenet connection to begin with.

See for yourself.

Today I tested Airlink without a working internet connection as I wanted to gave you the benefit of the doubt.

As I do not use Airlink I wondered if you used Airlink and it was Airlink that won't work without an internet connection, but nope. Airlink works perfectly without any internet connection as does Virtual Desktop. I even paired my Quest 3 to the Oculus PC app through Airlink for the first time without any internet connection available.

I do not know what you tried personally but It is not working as it should.

Last edited:
Possible to wirelessly connect to PC without internet connection?

Can I do Wireless PCVR without a good wireless router and without good internet speed?

Can I run VD with no internet access?

How is Wireless PCVR on the quest 2?

do i have good enough internet to play PCVR games wirelessly well on Quest 2?

Does the Quest 2 require good internet for PCVR !

Using a router for VD without a Internet connection.

Does Oculus Link work without internet?

Do I have to connect my router to internet to play PCVR?

Dumb question: can you play online games via link if your pc doesn’t have internet but your quest does?

See for yourself.

Today I tested Airlink without a working internet connection as I wanted to gave you the benefit of the doubt.

As I do not use Airlink I wondered if you used Airlink and it was Airlink that won't work without an internet connection, but nope. Airlink works perfectly without any internet connection as does Virtual Desktop. I even paired my Quest 3 to the Oculus PC app through Airlink for the first time without any internet connection available.

I do not know what you tried personally but It is not working as it should.
Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

Thanks for the tech support. I guess I failed to install that streamer windows app based on the reading. Will try it out the next time it gets used.

Last edited:
Top Bottom