• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The biggest mistake with the Switch is the lack of analog triggers

I've picked back up with Switch after the last Direct and I'm a big racing game fan, but the lack of analog triggers really lets down the whole system IMO, almost to the same degree as the lack of r2+r3 on the VITA.

In Art of Rally, not being able to control the throttle makes the vehicle impossible to control and in FAST RMX, when you get to the higher speed classes, the lack of analog air brakes becomes extremely noticeable and detrimental to the whole experience.

With the rumors of a new F-Zero game coming out, I really hope it's coming to Switch 2 with analog triggers.

Does anyone have any insight into why analog triggers were left out of the Switch or feel that they're unnecessary?

Last edited:

Hardensoul

I've picked back up with Switch after the last Direct and I'm a big facing game fan, but the lack of analog triggers really lets down the whole system IMO, almost to the same degree as the lack of r2+r3 on the VITA.

In Art of Rally, not being able to control the throttle makes the vehicle impossible to control and in FAST RMX, when you get to the higher speed classes, the lack of analog air brakes becomes extremely noticeable and detrimental to the whole experience.

With the rumors of a new F-Zero game coming out, I really hope it's coming to Switch 2 with analog triggers.

Does anyone have any insight into why analog triggers were left out of the Switch or feel that they're unnecessary?
Cost and not many games other than racers need analog triggers is my guess. Mario Kart doesn’t need analog triggers.

Skifi28

I don't think it's the biggest mistake, but it's certainly an odd one considering it's been a standard for many years.

Hardensoul

I don't think it's the biggest mistake, but it's certainly an odd one considering it's been a standard for many years.
Not standard for Nintendo controllers, they haven’t had triggers since they first added to GameCube controller. Ever console generation Nintendo has changed their controllers. The only standard is Nintendo will have a new controller for their new consoles.

Please don’t change now we don’t need Joy-cons as standard for Switch 2 😂

blacktout

The biggest [hardware] mistake Nintendo made with the Switch was stick drift, but I agree that the lack of analog triggers sucks.

Both could be resolved by a joycon redesign for the Switch's successor. 🙏

Filben

It took me six months after using a Switch to notice the lack of analogue triggers. The games I play on the Switch wouldn't benefit at all from having these triggers.

It would be cool though if there was Pro Controller version with them.

Robb

Gold Member
I don’t play any sim-racers so I’ve never really thought about it.

I wouldn’t mind seeing them return though.

Last edited:

nkarafo

F-Zero X played much better on the N64 with the digital shoulders. You could double tap very fast and bump your craft left and right to hit enemies or enter tight corners without much speed loss.

In GX, because of the analog triggers, you couldn't tap as fast so they changed the whole system to a single crappy attack move on a face button so it wasn't as good. And you couldn't use it to bump into corners. That was a huge regression for me with the controls VS the previous game.

There's no reason for analog triggers in F-Zero anyway. What's the use for analog leaning left of right? Like, is there even a difference when you lean a tiny bit or a lot?

Last edited:

Gobjuduck

Banned
Switch games don’t really call for analog triggers like Xbox and PS games do.

Switch Pro controller is perfect for the switch.

Last edited:

Tams

1. The Joycons are small, so analogue triggers would be expensive to implement.
  2. Few games actually make use of them, and the genres that do (pretty much just racing games and sims) aren't that popular.

Trilobit

OP, I agree with you whole heartedly! When the Switch was my sole console I was looking for racing/rally games, but it was there and then I realized the analog trigger issue. Suddenly I felt transported far to the past when analog triggers wasn't a reality.

If there's one thing that makes the Switch feel cheap it's exactly that thing.

Top Bottom