• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac |OT| thread brought to you by Edmund McMillen

BigAT

I finally managed to get a Sheol kill with ??? today, thanks to finding the Book of Revelations fairly early on and then Brimstone. I feel like getting Revelations or The Nail is pretty much a requirement to do it with ???. It's kind of unreasonable to expect to find enough grey hearts to survive through normal methods.

That gives me every achievement aside from 3 of the "no hit" ones. Not sure that I'll ever give those a real shot, it doesn't seem like it's worth the effort given the difficulty.

qc8Rp.png

QoJ9y.gif

Yea, the "secret" room really makes the game a bunch easier. If they were removed or randomized instead of just placed where they are in every level the game would be tougher. I went from not being able to get past level 3 to beating the game easily after finding out about the rooms.

What "secret rooms" are you guys talking about?

Every floor has one room that's not on the map at all, that you can get to by bombing a wall. It's usually in the spot on the map that touches the most other rooms. They usually have a pile of money, but sometimes an item, or a mini boss.

KarmaCow

What "secret rooms" are you guys talking about?

The ? rooms that pop up on the map if you use something that reveals the map for the floor.

I don't think they're that beneficial. Arcade rooms are far better because you can usually either get 99 coins or an extra heart by using the slot machine/shell game to get hearts and then sacrifice health to get coins.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
This game is awesome! The item variety is definitely what makes this another worthy game in the newgrounds empire. Well that and the fact that mostly all affect your appearance. The way you turn out with a different character each playthrough is great! Some of the item names are a bit over-the-top (i'm looking at you, Shoop da Woop); but I just found the "steam sale" item where everything is 50% off in shops :lol

Pretty sweet game...kind of lame about the lack of gamepad support...at least they tell ppl that don't know about it to use joytokey

Flynn

The ? rooms that pop up on the map if you use something that reveals the map for the floor.

I don't think they're that beneficial. Arcade rooms are far better because you can usually either get 99 coins or an extra heart by using the slot machine/shell game to get hearts and then sacrifice health to get coins.

I don't know -- early on they net from 3 to 14 cents. With good luck you can get the expensive item in the basement shop.

I was just in the middle of a sweet run at work, but it was taking too long and I had to end my lunch break. This is the first time I wished I could suspend a run.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Playing this with a 360 controller makes it a lot easier on me (D-pad), for some reason my instincts and reaction time aren't as good on the WASD keys...

Is there native 360 controller support now?

I was so pissed off when the control pad option in the menu said "use xpadder", so I went to get it and it cost like $25 with no trial available. I'm not paying $25 to use my controller with one game.

Yeah, I pretty much gave up on that one. I've gotten every item but the robo baby, and I don't feel like constantly replaying the game hoping for one particular item to spawn.
I needed the razor blade, but I got lucky with a D6 and item rooms.

I was so pissed off when the control pad option in the menu said "use xpadder", so I went to get it and it cost like $25 with no trial available. I'm not paying $25 to use my controller with one game.
There isn't native support, but it says use JoyToKey. It's free!

Nabs

It said use JoyToKey, and I'm pretty sure it's free.

The Options screens points to Joy2Key, which is free.

There's also a download link in the OP with Joy2Key and a config file already built for Isaac.

I don't like that the game needs outside programs to support basic functionality either, but it's pretty easy.

Huh. I could've sworn it was free at one point. Also it's ten bucks.

But you're right, it's dumb to pay money for that. However, the game suggests you use JoyToKey, so... I'm pretty sure that's free.

That said, I have no idea how you people play with a controller. I can't stand using analog control sticks for four-way controls. It's so horrible.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Oh it does say Joy2Key. I think I quit the game and did something else for a while, then went to find the keyboard emulator and mis-remembered it as X-Padder and never went back.

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll give it a shot!

Joe Molotov

I got Fetus in a Jar for the first time today. It's awesome and so terrible at the same time, lol. I've gotten all the items now except for the four I haven't unlocked from beating Sheol with Eve, Judas, Maggy, and ???. Still need to do that and no-hit the Caves, Depths, and the Womb. Blah, I wish I didn't suck at this game.

I got Fetus in a Jar for the first time today. It's awesome and so terrible at the same time, lol. I've gotten all the items now except for the four I haven't unlocked from beating Sheol with Eve, Judas, Maggy, and ???. Still need to do that and no-hit the Caves, Depths, and the Womb. Blah, I wish I didn't suck at this game.
I got Fetus in the Jar as my first item on a Judas run the other night and killed myself immediately.

Game is incredible, yet so hard. I haven't been able to beat the 2nd level of the caves yet, after 20 or so deaths. I'm really glad I found out how the secret rooms work. Now I've got at least one extra chance to get a good item. Best one yet were probably the homing tears. It really depends on the room and item generation, sometimes the game just takes a dump on you and you don't get anything useful.
I hope to finish the game at least once though, but seeing how every floor's harder than the last, it'll take me a while.

The spade item is a total trap and I won't be using it again. You only get yourself in more trouble by skipping floors, since you also skip possible loot. I got a sneak peak at the depths and I'm afraid now.

For the love of god, tell us 'how the secret rooms work'. I can't find anything about it.

Ionic

For the love of god, tell us 'how the secret rooms work'. I can't find anything about it.

If you play around enough, you will learn that the secret rooms do in general have a pattern, so on most floors you can narrow where it is down to two or three different possible places on the map. Outright telling you how they work isn't in the spirit of the game, but whenever you find a secret room, try looking at the map to see if you can figure out what they usually have in common.

backlot

There's just one room on every floor that you have to get into by bombing a wall. It's usually connected to 2 or 3 other rooms so look for areas like that on the map and just start bombing walls.

ugh... almost 30 hours into this and I've only gotten to mom twice - never beaten her. Once due to using The Emperor after forgetting what it did :p

I'm trying to avoid the wiki and threads like this to try and discover the secrets of the game on my own, but I think I might give in...

MOOOOMMMM!!!!!

AEREC

ugh... almost 30 hours into this and I've only gotten to mom twice - never beaten her. Once due to using The Emperor after forgetting what it did :p

I'm trying to avoid the wiki and threads like this to try and discover the secrets of the game on my own, but I think I might give in...

MOOOOMMMM!!!!!

I got into this game last week and am having a blast with it...though after 4 hours I havent gotten to MOM yet.

Part of the fun is not looking up to see what items do what.

Ifrit

Huh. I could've sworn it was free at one point. Also it's ten bucks.

But you're right, it's dumb to pay money for that. However, the game suggests you use JoyToKey, so... I'm pretty sure that's free.

That said, I have no idea how you people play with a controller. I can't stand using analog control sticks for four-way controls. It's so horrible.

We use Dpad and Buttons, that's how.

Protip: I also use the right stick as a mouse pointer, a shoulder button as F to enable Full Screen, and another as the Left Click button. Never have to leave the couch for this game :)

Just did my second mom kill, I door apeared both time but I chose the treasure chest, around 30 hours of playtime

I'm addicted to this game, help!!!!

I use my PS2 (with adapter) or PS3 Controller, can't stand the 360 dpad

Dpad for movements, buttons for shooting. Works like a charm
high five

the ps2 buttons work flawlessly for shooting. it's very intuitive. this isn't a twin stick shooter where you have a million angles of attack. i could see it being super awkward with a controller that doesn't use the now-standard diamond button layout though.

tm24

I finally beat Mom! Took 12 hours and some good early powerup choices in Mom's Contact and Sister Maggy. Just tore through every boss

Top Bottom