• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac |OT| thread brought to you by Edmund McMillen

I just realized something. I entered The Womb and got hit once in the first or second room and then went on to beat the entire thing without taking another hit.

That's just hurtful.

Nicktals

Banned
I'm running this on a laptop that has no right trying to run anything. It's obviously extremely laggy (think flash games through the wii browser laggy). But I've still beaten the game twice, withstanding the extremely long run time due to the massive lag. Is there anything I can do to optimize or run it faster? outside of setting the detail to low?

BooJoh

I bought this on the daily deal. I've since played it for 17 hours, unlocked 3 of the endings, and just generally been having a lot of fun with it. I've seen quite a few Devil's rooms but not a single Krampus, so no holiday achievement.

RAGE. Another Womb run where I took ONE HIT. I had a Sun card to show the map I was saving. I made it through the first round untouched, so I used my map and darted directly for the boss and IN THE FIRST room with monsters, one of those stupid laser eye things got me.

On the other hand, I don't think these are THAT bad given by this time you can be close to invincible.

11 Deaths, 3 Mom Kills.

The most common achievement I don't have is Mom's Contact.

My rarest achievement is A Gift From Krampus.

Flynn

RAGE. Another Womb run where I took ONE HIT. I had a Sun card to show the map I was saving. I made it through the first round untouched, so I used my map and darted directly for the boss and IN THE FIRST room with monsters, one of those stupid laser eye things got me.

On the other hand, I don't think these are THAT bad given by this time you can be close to invincible.

11 Deaths, 3 Mom Kills.

The most common achievement I don't have is Mom's Contact.

My rarest achievement is A Gift From Krampus.

Every time I get the Emporer card I go for no damage. I think I suck too much at the game. I have Golden God, but that's only because I'm persistent.

Every time I get the Emporer card I go for no damage. I think I suck too much at the game. I have Golden God, but that's only because I'm persistent.
Oh yeah, that's a good idea, I should pay attention to that as I'm pretty good against (most) bosses.

I made it to the secret area on my last run and got stompled by the secret boss. I guess I have his patterns for next time.

Maybe I'm having a brain fart but what does the stats on the pause menu all mean, 15 hours played and I can't figure the last 2 out.

306444_10150923657190113_188807710112_21714311_202707137_n.jpg

Run speed, arrow speed, ?, ?

One of them has to be damage, but whats the other one?

BigAT

Maybe I'm having a brain fart but what does the stats on the pause menu all mean, 15 hours played and I can't figure the last 2 out.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/306444_10150923657190113_188807710112_21714311_202707137_n.jpg[IMG]

Run speed, arrow speed, ?, ?

One of them has to be damage, but whats the other one?[/QUOTE]

The sword is damage, the last one is range.

Edit: Beaten worse than Isaac with The Belt.

Flynn

I've been wondering if Curse, Pierce, Faith etc. are actually permanently tallied or just language to describe one-off bonuses. Maybe I should Formspring McMillen about it.

Joe Molotov

Got the Dead Sea Scrolls + Batteries and got "We Need to Go Deeper" on back to back levels (also got Kamikaze three times lol), beat Mom again. I'm up to "It Lives".

I'm pretty confident I can beat Mom's Heart on almost any game now, but I'm holding off trying to get the "No Damage" achievements since somebody said the game gets harder after so many endings. My skills to do so are adequate but I'm having horrible luck running into at least one room where I get shot/cornered the second the room loads. I made it to the Caves II boss without taking a hit and was like "okay, FINALLY" since the bosses I can handle and it threw a boss at me I had never fought before (at least that early, only saw him in the Sheol prior) and I stuttered.

So um. Hmm. Are there any reasons a "no damage" achievement wouldn't unlock? Because I just did The Depths and didn't get it (and I was like one room away from doing The Womb too but that's another story). Does selling hearts for items count? Because I know I did that a lot, but I'm just not sure if I did it in that room.

Man that was depressing. I had THE BEST BUILD EVER. Three Pretty Flies. Several Damage Ups, the Pony, piercing shots. What did me in in The Womb was one of those black leech things. I didn't realize they exploded upon death and killed one right next to me.

Good news is, I'm getting so good, it's just a matter of time (and a little luck, as always) to get these little buggers.

One of the things I like most about the game is the aesthetic changes to your character brought on by powerups. All the possible permutations that can possibly come out of the things you find adds to my urge to hop back in.

1YNhC.jpg

Flynn

One of the things I like most about the game is the aesthetic changes to your character brought on by powerups. All the possible permutations that can possibly come out of the things you find adds to my urge to hop back in.

1YNhC.jpg

Very nice. I was thinking about doing the same thing -- sort of visually tracking my process through grabs like that.

I got both Spelunker Boy and Dark Boy tonight (separate runs).

I had like three very unfortunate losses in The Womb to go with those. The worst was that I had Mom's Bra with a battery and a whole slew of good stuff and an Emperor Card. So I get to the boss of Womb I and it's Gish, no biggie I guess, but the first shot he fires puts me in a corner. Naturally, I used my card and beat Mom's Heart with no hits. And every other time I get here with a good build they pit me against The Fallen, which never works in my favor.

Still, I think The Womb will be easier than those two in the long run. You are woefully underpowered for Spelunker Boy and there are A LOT of chaotic enemies in The Depths (plus Mom can be much tougher to "no hit" than Mom's Heart).

I'm thinking of knocking Portal 2 AND Skyward Sword down to make this my Game of the Year for 2011.

Seriously.

Joe Molotov

I'm never going to get those no-hit achievements, I suck too much at this game. I tried playing some with ??? today, barely got out of the friggin' basement. :(

I did get the "Die 100 Times" achievement though, and it felt like a victory at that point.

Flynn

I'm never going to get those no-hit achievements, I suck too much at this game. I tried playing some with ??? today, barely got out of the friggin' basement. :(

I did get the "Die 100 Times" achievement though, and it felt like a victory at that point.

Sometimes I feel the same way. My friend, on the other hand, is now shooting for beating the game without ever taking a power up.

Sometimes I feel the same way. My friend, on the other hand, is now shooting for beating the game without ever taking a power up.

I think I could do that with enough practice, but that kind of defeats the fun for me. A good deal of why I like this game is the powerups. If that is taken away, voluntarily or otherwise, I would probably not enjoy myself anymore.

Flynn

I think I could do that with enough practice, but that kind of defeats the fun for me. A good deal of why I like this game is the powerups. If that is taken away, voluntarily or otherwise, I would probably not enjoy myself anymore.

He's that kind of gamer. Ascending in Nethack is just the first step.

I like roguelikes, in general, too. It's one of my favorite genres. But if you take away the stuff you get as you progress in them, it just becomes an arcade game with no powerups. That's... meh.

If he likes it, then whatever.

Flynn

I like roguelikes, in general, too. It's one of my favorite genres. But if you take away the stuff you get as you progress in them, it just becomes an arcade game with no powerups. That's... meh.

If he likes it, then whatever.

Well, there are some interesting problems you encounter, depending on the game. I know he tried to play one of the Final Fantasy games until the end with no upgrades. There was one boss encounter which was instant death except in the rare circumstance when an attack failed to crit. So he had to play the boss fight over and over until he got lucky. Obviously not the way to play for everybody, but I appreciate that obsessives do this kind of thing.

He's that kind of gamer. Ascending in Nethack is just the first step.

I dream of Ascending in Nethack someday, but I think I've got a better chance of taking down another one of the AngBand variants. I beat SteamBand once, and I've come really close on Hengband and Zangband both. Compared to that, I'm bloody terrible at Nethack.

I love the indie game embrace of roguelike-likes lately. Isaac, Desktop Dungeon, and that upcoming FTL game all make me happy.

red731

After reading the wikia, I slowly know what most of the items do.
I found in what situations its better not to pickup something and have what I have.
Unlocked Cain and playing with him more and more - must have spirit hearts!

I love the game. Thank you Steam sales.

Also I have the melody when you enter the first basement burned into my brain.

I love it, I really do

*hums na na, na na na, nananana...

Joe Molotov

Yay, beat The Womb with ???. Got chewed up and spat out in Sheol, though. I had three hearts and I had the Compass, which was good, but I ran into The Fallen, which was bad.

Yay, beat The Womb with ???. Got chewed up and spat out in Sheol, though. I had three hearts and I had the Compass, which was good, but I ran into The Fallen, which was bad.
The Fallen is a true scumbag. I really don't think that he's THAT difficult (well, maybe when he splits into two he becomes a little more of a problem) but I think it's just his rarity that throws me off. It's like OH GOD NOT EXPECTING THIS PANIC PANIC PANIC OH CRAP THERE WENT MY NO HIT RUN THROW CONTROLLER.

Flynn

The Fallen is a true scumbag. I really don't think that he's THAT difficult (well, maybe when he splits into two he becomes a little more of a problem) but I think it's just his rarity that throws me off. It's like OH GOD NOT EXPECTING THIS PANIC PANIC PANIC OH CRAP THERE WENT MY NO HIT RUN THROW CONTROLLER.

Why does he look sad when he's about to barf blood on you?

I haven't found a damage up pill or syringe in so many playthroughs I'm starting to believe they never existed and I hallucinated ever getting them.

Also, it sucks starting a new run when you previously had technology. It is so good.

I can get to Sheol now, I've
fought Satan a couple times, but always lose.
It's a bit of a bitch. I've already put 31 hours into this since getting it in the Steam sale. So good.

bryehn

Can someone show me how to get a gamepad (360 or DS3) working on my iMac so I can play this? I have CP that affects my left hand, so WASD is really tough to use.

eiskaltnz

Got to Satan for the first time, ditched mom then to go down to him.
Almost killed him only to die by a random bullet.
Still loving this game.

This game is so messed up.

I really do not know how to progress either only have one character unlock that crow chick.

Just keep playing. A lot of the unlocks happen pretty organically or due to luck, and the rest will come as your skill improves or the expanded items/character improve your game or both.

Joe Molotov

Man, I can't catch a break with Eve. I'll have maxed out Range, Tears, Speed, and a dozen other knick-knacks, and still have 1 damage. 1 freaking damage. I can't deal with that, it takes like an hour to kill Monstro II, or even Gurdy.

Flynn

Man, I can't catch a break with Eve. I'll have maxed out Range, Tears, Speed, and a dozen other knick-knacks, and still have 1 damage. 1 freaking damage. I can't deal with that, it takes like an hour to kill Monstro II, or even Gurdy.

You gotta let her go down to half a heart then protect her with soul hearts.

EDIT: Best accomplished with the blood slot machine. Eve is a cutter.

Joe Molotov

Finally had a good run with Eve, made it all the through The Womb, but I still got killed by Satan. So then I decided to try to do a no-hit run with Isaac aaaaaaaannd couldn't quite pull that off either (got hit once in the Caves, twice in the Depths, and three times in the Womb). But I beat Satan for the first time with him though, so it wasn't a total loss.

Gish + Mom's Contacts = SHIT IS GONNA GET FUCKED UP

I'm determined to get my last "no hit" achievement before clocking up my ten mom kills. On one hand, I think The Womb will be easier than The Depths (and possibly even The Caves), but it's definitely a much bigger time investment for each attempt. I think I'll give it a slight break this weekend and finally play Revelations though.

I am officially one satan kill with eve away from Golden God. I'm feeling pretty good about my chances. As long as she finds the knife, or the fetus in a jar, or pretty much anything that makes me not reliant on her shitty tears.

Although my achieve for clearing sheol with maggy still hasn't registered yet and I'm getting kinda nervous. I know it's slow with this game tho, so. Hope that pops soon.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Game is incredible, yet so hard. I haven't been able to beat the 2nd level of the caves yet, after 20 or so deaths. I'm really glad I found out how the secret rooms work. Now I've got at least one extra chance to get a good item. Best one yet were probably the homing tears. It really depends on the room and item generation, sometimes the game just takes a dump on you and you don't get anything useful.
I hope to finish the game at least once though, but seeing how every floor's harder than the last, it'll take me a while.

The spade item is a total trap and I won't be using it again. You only get yourself in more trouble by skipping floors, since you also skip possible loot. I got a sneak peak at the depths and I'm afraid now.

Chris R

Yea, the "secret" room really makes the game a bunch easier. If they were removed or randomized instead of just placed where they are in every level the game would be tougher. I went from not being able to get past level 3 to beating the game easily after finding out about the rooms.

Top Bottom