• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac |OT| thread brought to you by Edmund McMillen

InertiaXr

You have to use something like Joy2Key or Xpadder. It's written in Flash and can't communicated with controllers.

Ah well that's too bad, why did he use Flash? Only $5 lost I got it on a pretty good recommendation from a friend but guess he kind of missed this one. :/

Jasoco

Banned
Would be really nice if they recoded it in something other than Flash. Would also be nice if Minecraft wasn't Java and Super Meat Boy (Which is native) wasn't so laggy on relatively high-specced machines. Sometimes we just have to live with what we get and hope for the best eventually.

Flynn

I got this game in one of the previous Indie bundles, but haven't posted about it yet. Holy shit this game is fucked up. I'm sorry, I'd love to be able to look past its aesthetics and just enjoy the gameplay, but I can't. I just can't. I'm sorry GAF.

I thought everybody loved games about child abuse!

Fucked up as in the game is a sick game, how can anyone enjoy something like that, or fucked up as in the game is a buggy game (in OSX at least) that needs to be patched asap!
"Fucked up" as in "wtf is with all this blood and other twisted gross stuff"

Volcynika

Ah well that's too bad, why did he use Flash? Only $5 lost I got it on a pretty good recommendation from a friend but guess he kind of missed this one. :/

He answered this on his Formspring recently:

So, wait. You made the binding of isaac in flash? How in the hell did u do that? wouldn't it have been easier (programming wise, not graphically) to make it in c++ or java?

yeah it would have, but florian only devs in flash and the game wasnt intended to be a steam game at all till the final 3 weeks of dev.

http://4ms.me/uJlZ6Q

Jasoco

Banned
Florian should take some classes and learn C++ or something. Not that I should talk, I only know Lua, JavaScript and BASIC.

Massa

Florian should take some classes and learn C++ or something. Not that I should talk, I only know Lua, JavaScript and BASIC.

They probably used Flash because it was faster/easier, not for lack of knowing better things.

You also shouldn't wish C++ on your worst enemy. :p

What better languages did the guy know that would've been slower and harder? Basically, the guy only knows how to "program" in flash.

Which is fine to a certain point, but once you're the sole coder behind a multimillion $ project, maybe it's time you expanded your horizons a bit, if only for the beneift of your fans.

BigAT

Is anyone going after the Christmas achievement yet? I must have hit like 10-15 Devil Rooms but have yet to have the boss spawn for me.

Doomrider

Is anyone going after the Christmas achievement yet? I must have hit like 10-15 Devil Rooms but have yet to have the boss spawn for me.

I've been trying since yesterday, and I've fought against him once, but I lost. Gotta thank Steam, though; if it wasn't for this achievement thing, I don't know when I would've tried this. It's a cool little game.

So when will they fix the mac version? Even though I have killed mom, it won't show up in the stats. It just says "Mom kills: 0"

Annoys the shit out of me.

Do you need the no-damage stuff to get Golden God?

I'm not sure. If those cheesemints also count as "secrets" in the game, then I would say yes. I forget if they do, though. I think you just need all secrets and a full collection to get Golden God, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Flynn

I'm not sure. If those cheesemints also count as "secrets" in the game, then I would say yes. I forget if they do, though. I think you just need all secrets and a full collection to get Golden God, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

I need to beat Sheol with Eve and get the three no damage achievements. Not sure if those are gonna happen. Maybe I'll get lucky and start with the shovel.

I mean, I don't think it counts if you use the shovel for no damage. I never tried, but I remember someone else did in this thread a while back.

Chris R

So when will they fix the mac version? Even though I have killed mom, it won't show up in the stats. It just says "Mom kills: 0"

Annoys the shit out of me.
Don't expect a fix for anything on the Mac version. Yay for broken games! What is the point of steam play when the games are so different and broken on other platforms?

Jasoco

Banned
We Mac users still don't always get achievements and my play time still doesn't update correctly at all. Fucking buggy POS game that is awesome so I can forgive it's shitiness.

We Mac users still don't always get achievements and my play time still doesn't update correctly at all. Fucking buggy POS game that is awesome so I can forgive it's shitiness.

The only way I could unlock achievements on the PC version was to use some other FlashAchievements.exe that someone posted on the Steam forums.

Madrical

Banned
Spent weeks trying to reach Mom, never did. Played one game last night, and beat her in one go. I know it's not much of an achievement to beat her, but damn I was happy. :D Love this game, probably close to my GOTY.

BigAT

I mean, I don't think it counts if you use the shovel for no damage. I never tried, but I remember someone else did in this thread a while back.

I think that was me. All I know is that if you use the shovel to "beat" the second level, it definitely doesn't count. Possibly because beating the second boss is when the achievement actually gets triggered. I have no idea if you can use the shovel on the first level, then properly beat the second, because I haven't had the opportunity to test it.

I think that was me. All I know is that if you use the shovel to "beat" the second level, it definitely doesn't count. Possibly because beating the second boss is when the achievement actually gets triggered. I have no idea if you can use the shovel on the first level, then properly beat the second, because I haven't had the opportunity to test it.

Yeah, I think that is why. It triggers exactly on boss death, so that if you rush straight to the boss, you can get the cheesemint and still get hit afterward. What's it gonna do, take it away? Show that game who's boss. U:

I suspect maybe you could skip the first floor, now that I think about it. I dunno if it'd be worth the loss of whatever goodies you might find, though.

Flynn

Yeah, I think that is why. It triggers exactly on boss death, so that if you rush straight to the boss, you can get the cheesemint and still get hit afterward. What's it gonna do, take it away? Show that game who's boss. U:

I suspect maybe you could skip the first floor, now that I think about it. I dunno if it'd be worth the loss of whatever goodies you might find, though.

On runs specifically for these achievements I'm not sure skipping goodies will hurt THAT much.

And as far as achievements go that Flashexe patch fixed me up right. All the stuff I had earned since the beginning of the game popped and now all my new stuff shows up when I earn it.

Platy

This game is probably the only game on my list that i'm starting to feel that i will NOT get the holiday achivement =(

When you see that a Super Meat Boy achivement is easier than another game, there is something REALLY wrong with it =P

This game is probably the only game on my list that i'm starting to feel that i will NOT get the holiday achivement =(

When you see that a Super Meat Boy achivement is easier than another game, there is something REALLY wrong with it =P

I felt the same way, the boss wasn't spawning after multiple tries. But I tried again last night and picked Maggy, more HP and Attack. Try not to get hit and play safe, and was able to fight the boss(luck :D) and get the achievement.

Platy

I felt the same way, the boss wasn't spawning after multiple tries. But I tried again last night and picked Maggy, more HP and Attack. Try not to get hit and play safe, and was able to fight the boss(luck :D) and get the achievement.

The problem is that the chance of the boss appear rises when you defeat the game .... and i barely could reach
Mom
!!!

Saw 10+ evil rooms after bosses ... but no sign of the boss =/

BigAT

The problem is that the chance of the boss appear rises when you defeat the game .... and i barely could reach
Mom
!!!

Saw 10+ evil rooms after bosses ... but no sign of the boss =/

I think I'm at 20+ devil rooms and have yet to see him.

:-\

Volcynika

Is Sheol still accessible? I beat the game 9 times total (yay cheesemints), but haven't seen a door open to it yet.

I'm not sure what happens once I progress post-getting the last (?) ending.

Flynn

I got Golden God today. You don't need the three no-damage achievements to get it. Just find all the items. I think "Halo" was my last one.

:p

Goddamn. I'm in the process of trying to get Krampus and the holiday achievement, and instead my luck went a completely different way. Managed to beat the whole game (including
Womb
) AND got all Four Horsemen in one run to get the Super Meat Boy achievement. (I'm not sure what the likelihood is of getting all Four Horsemen in one run, though.) Either way, I've now unlocked every character and feel pumped about beating the whole thing. Back to hunting for Krampus.

Flynn

Goddamn. I'm in the process of trying to get Krampus and the holiday achievement, and instead my luck went a completely different way. Managed to beat the whole game (including
Womb
) AND got all Four Horsemen in one run to get the Super Meat Boy achievement. (I'm not sure what the likelihood is of getting all Four Horsemen in one run, though.) Either way, I've now unlocked every character and feel pumped about beating the whole thing. Back to hunting for Krampus.

Edmund just said that Book of Revelations increases horseman likelihood.

You do need Loki's horns. I have a complete collection page.

What you don't need is 100% achievements (unless those achievements are required to get you access to the item.)

BigAT

I read somewhere that the Coal from Krampus counts as an item for Golden God, but doesn't increase the number you need to achieve it. Basically if you get Coal, you can have one less item than you would otherwise need. I got the Golden God achievement after picking up Coal, not sure what I was missing prior to that.

Edit: Looks like I'm missing Forget Me Nows, I forgot I still haven't beaten Sheol with ???.

Flynn

I read somewhere that the Coal from Krampus counts as an item for Golden God, but doesn't increase the number you need to achieve it. Basically if you get Coal, you can have one less item than you would otherwise need. I got the Golden God achievement after picking up Coal, not sure what I was missing prior to that.

Edit: Looks like I'm missing Forget Me Nows, I forgot I still haven't beaten Sheol with ???.

You know what you're right. I don't have Forget Me Nows either. :(

Edit: Okay I beast Sheol with ??? -- Yay, Dr. Fetus. Now I just need to spam the dice with Isaac and find that pill.

I just got this in the Steam sale for like $1.50 and man it's so good, I should have got it earlier.

Does anything carry over or save after you die or exit the game? On the menu screen, I see icons that look like a sword and a shoe with notches next to it - what are those, stat ranks?

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Did the winter objective with Judas. Took over a dozen Satan rooms to finally meet Krampus.

Edmund just said that Book of Revelations increases horseman likelihood.

Didn't have the Book of Revelations when I did it. Wow, I must have been extremely lucky. On my playthroughs after that, I got Pestilence on a regular basis but none of the others.

Managed to finally get Krampus on my "this is my last playthrough of the night before I say fuck this achievement." I was down to a half-heart of health and literally spent the last quarter of his health bar cowering in whatever corner was opposite him while my dead bird did damage to him and killed him. Got the damn achievement, though, but of course it wasn't anything worthwhile to me. Meh.

Top Bottom