• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 |OT| (XBLA/PSN)

Barrett2

dark10x said:
I understand the complaints, but I do find it odd that people would regularly use their PS3 without an active internet connection. What situation are you in that prevents you from doing this?

It's not uncommon to have an unreliable internet connection. I had a six month stretch where my internet would routinely go down for 10 - 30 minutes at a time, multiple times a day. It took numerous service calls to fix it. I shouldn't be punished and not allowed to pay games I paid for if I decide to play them when my internet service isn't working.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Demo finishes before the first boss. The jumping seems completely pointless and "just there" to please people who complained about no jumping.

robot

levious said:
on hard as far as I recall

- I'm also not sure if this patch ever came to the 360 version

It did, I believe you also get unlimited lives on Normal. I finally beat the game last year since I was one of the 98% that couldnt beat the outside part.

dark10x said:
I understand the complaints, but I do find it odd that people would regularly use their PS3 without an active internet connection. What situation are you in that prevents you from doing this?

Wireless suck

Not convenient to have my PS3 where my PC is.

I have pets in the house and do not want to run long network cables to where my router is.

I have really young nieces and nephews that come around and don't want them messing with the cord.

Yeah not everyone set up is ideal.

what do you guys mean by PSN DRM? how does that work (or not work)?

I downloaded the game but my GF did not allow me to play games last night so I have no idea what this DRM implies

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
what, did you leave your socks on the floor again?

You have to be online to play the game.

levious said:
what, did you leave your socks on the floor again?

You have to be online to play the game.
that is lame,, so if PSN goes down for maintenance.. I won't be able to play?
sucksoid... and i padi for it already :S

Xater

Kimosabae said:
lmao, really? I was expecting a response along the lines "you just needed to get better, scrub!", but I guess I really wasn't the only one that thought that portion was unfun and stupid.

Can I still call you a scrub because I finished BCR with that portion intact? ;)

Some of the items seem harder to find in this than the first game I think. The bazooka in the first level leaves me puzzled as well. The bazooka is behind a wall that can only be destroyed by the bazooka? WTF?

Kimosabae

Banned
Yes, you may call me a scrub.

alr1ghtstart said:
Demo finishes before the first boss. The jumping seems completely pointless and "just there" to please people who complained about no jumping.

So you're complaining just to complain, then? Since, according to you, the jumping has no effect on the gameplay?

I haven't finished the first level yet, but I think you're being silly if you think the gameplay wasn't designed with jumping in mind, and you've come to this conclusion without even finishing the first level.

mikeeb13

Banned
Xater said:
Can I still call you a scrub because I finished BCR with that portion intact? ;)

Some of the items seem harder to find in this than the first game I think. The bazooka in the first level leaves me puzzled as well. The bazooka is behind a wall that can only be destroyed by the bazooka? WTF?
if you goto the weapons menu you'll see 2 or 3 little upgrade boxes when you select the bazooka (if you've got it)... meaning there are 2 or 3 bazooka icons floating the game, and you'll have to progress and get the first one and then backtrack through various levels if you want the fully powered ultra-badass version

So can you configure controls in the full version or not? The default mapping seems pretty silly since the hook sees far more use than the jump, at least in the demo. And is there a brightness setting anywhere? First stage is a bit dark.

I would have bought this on PSN but I am not supporting that DRM. 360 version seems to have the same screen tearing issues as the original, and playing on the 360 pad kinda blows, so I'm not really in a rush to buy this despite enjoying the demo. Holding out hope for a PC version! I'll buy that day one.

I will also pay a high price for a moustachioed Rad Spencer model in MvC3. I absolutely love this new character design.

Xater said:
@the_prime_mover I have no idea what you are talking about when you talk about loose controls.

I merely meant that the analogue sticks seem to register movements that I am not inputting, especially when swinging. I have tested with multiple controllers and I am still getting some weird input response. I didn't have this happen in the first game, and I think it relates to being able to start and stop your swing. I am not a fan of this mechanic or the associated animations.

dark10x said:
Are there at least control presets available? I could not use the default scheme in the original, but it allowed you to change this. :\

If there are, I did not see them. I went to controls and it just showed me a picture of the controller with no ability to remap or change schemes.

Perhaps I will just go through the game and not worry about the jumping, then go through it again with the jumping disabled.

Xater

the_prime_mover said:
I merely meant that the analogue sticks seem to register movements that I am not inputting, especially when swinging. I have tested with multiple controllers and I am still getting some weird input response. I didn't have this happen in the first game, and I think it relates to being able to start and stop your swing. I am not a fan of this mechanic or the associated animations.

Simple solution: Don't play with the analog stick. I don't even know why you would do that in the first place. For a game like this you need the responsiveness of a dpad.

robot said:
It did, I believe you also get unlimited lives on Normal. I finally beat the game last year since I was one of the 98% that couldnt beat the outside part.

Huh. I guess I can put "beat BC:R" on my embarrassingly short list of Hardcore Video Game Accomplishments, since I finished it in a couple of days long before the difficulty patch.

I should note that I can probably beat the original NES game with my eyes closed, though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, disappointed with the new one thus far. The controls feel nowhere near as natural as before and the level design is less focused.

Worse, the game runs at a weird framerate. The PS3 version is using triple buffering so there is no tearing, but it's like 40-50 fps all of the time and, as such, feels kinda sluggish (lots of juddering). The 360 version is even worse as it has the same framerate AND constant tearing.

The original at least ran at 60 fps 90% of the time on consoles. This is a big step back.

The sloppy controls and lower framerate result in a less polished feeling product.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
dark10x said:
Man, disappointed with the new one thus far. The controls feel nowhere near as natural as before and the level design is less focused.

I think the only reason I found the controls in the first Rearmed so natural is because the NES one was ingrained in my memory for 20 years. This one definitely feels weird at first - heavier, I think, is the proper word for it - but as I got further I started to feel more at home with it. I have a feeling the attitude towards these will wildly vary from person to person - I've already heard people say the revamped one feels more natural.

I think the level designs are substantially better through. The original NES game was relatively unstructured they were sorta sloppy and all over the place, with all sorts of stuff that was pointless to give it a more exploratory feel. But here instead of just making sections mostly useless, the levels are still linear in the left-to-right sense, but there's usually multiple paths through them. There's still a sense of exploration without the feeling that you're wandering down to a dead-end. The implementation of hidden items is better too, since you're told what's in the level and you know what you missed.

Totally agreed on the frame rate, though, it's the biggest downer of the game. It does looker nicer at points but I'd prefer the smoothness. It's the main reason I hope they do a PC version.

dralla

do you get anything in 2 if you have BC:R1

and the sound sucks ass on the 360 demo. I have the first game on the PS3 and it sounds way better. does the PS3 version of 2 sound better than the 360 version? or is it just the game itself

dark10x

Alright, hot tip for those playing.

If you believe framerate >>> image quality, try setting your PS3 to 480p. Yeah, I know, that sucks, but if you do so you will be rewarded with a near perfect 60 fps BCR2. At 480p, it runs smoother than the first game.

Fortunately, thanks to heavy use of depth of field, the game still looks pretty decent at 480p. The fonts used in menus and such become an absolute mess (really really ugly), but the game itself isn't bad.

I hate to give up a higher resolution, but 60 fps is much more important. It's still sharper than a Wii game, mind you, as the color depth is higher and it uses the full 480p resolution rather than introducing borders in the overscan region.

I should have guessed this would work as the framerate isn't capped. The PC versions of Diesel engine games also saw a huge boost by dropping resolution. The full BC game, for instance, used to slow my 8800GT down pretty bad in 1080p while in certain areas or during certain effects. Dropping resolution solved all of that. Shame you need to take it to the basement in this game, though. :\

LiveWire

Just played the first level. Haven't tried co-op yet, but was wondering if anyone had, and if the identity of the 2nd player is revealed? It appears to be the guy from the cover of the original NES game...

yurinka

the_prime_mover said:
Having finished the first BCR and a lot of challenge rooms, now I realize you could use the analogs.

Man, this is Bionic Commando. Forget the analogs.

Xater said:
Simple solution: Don't play with the analog stick. I don't even know why you would do that in the first place. For a game like this you need the responsiveness of a dpad.

This is true I suppose. The responsiveness of the analogue controls in BC:R was great though so it is a shame to feel that these play worse. No doubt I will use the d-pad overall, but on the PS3 the placement of the left stick is more comfortable.

S1kkZ

anyone else having graphical glitches on the 360?
it started on the second level: the last layer of the background (the 2d sky) flashes black for a second (its random but it happens pretty often in a level). its really annoying in the second level (basically in every level where you can see the sky in the background).

my 360 is a brand new slim, no problems in other games.

edit:
you can see the flickering issue here (http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-bionic-commando-rearmed-2/17-3740/) at 27:52.

it happens to me all the time in that level.

GrayFoxPL

Is jumping really useless? What about jumping then grapling- doesn't it give some kind of edge in motion?

I wanted this but 15$ is bit much, I wait for it to drop down to 10$.

Btw. When's Rush'nattack coming out?

dark10x

GrayFoxPL said:
Is jumping really useless? What about jumping then grapling- doesn't it give some kind of edge in motion?

I wanted this but 15$ is bit much, I wait for it to drop down to 10$.

Btw. When's Rush'nattack coming out?
Actually, jumping is kind of fun. After getting used to it, I'm really enjoying the controls. Game is actually great. Shame about the technical issues. :(

Jex

levious said:
the outside portion is no longer in the game on normal since that last patch.
That's crazy.

Impressions for this are looking somewhat favourable, but I'm still not tempted to purchase it.

Empty

played the trial. don't like the control changes, though i was kinda getting a rhythm towards the end having to press twice to grapple then let go makes moving through levels much less fluid and along with the jump button removes much of the elegant simplicity of the limitations in the previous games' mechanics. the music is so amazing, though.

NIN90

Xater said:

Bullshit. I 200/200'd MM9 with sticks and it controlled perfectly.

Well, shit. 132 posts, official thread of a highly-anticipated new release relegated to the third page.

It's 8PM. Do you know where your kids sales are? :(

I finished and loved the first game. My thoughts:

Jumping makes the game a little less cumbersome. I can get up a platform and get accross a hole without needing to stop and find a spot to grapple on.

Graphics are great.

Movement feels just as I remember from the first game, which is good.

I like how shooting is done with the "X" button (360) but I would prefer the arm to use "Y". I've seen to way to change this. Using "B" just feels strange.

Music is on par with the first game.

For me, most of the time gripping the barrels results in sliding into them even when I'm trying to grab it. Hold down the button yeah?

I can't quite remember if this was in the first game but I could have sworn that forward plus arm equals your arm also going forward while standing. Not the case in this game.

All my gripes are minor ones and I had fun with the demo. Well worth $15. Same game on DS/PSP would be at least double the price (that's some expensive packaging!) and still would be worth it.

Bought.

dark10x

For me, most of the time gripping the barrels results in sliding into them even when I'm trying to grab it. Hold down the button yeah?
No, in this game, once you grab a barrel, you actually hold back to pick it up.

This goes without saying, but if you're playing on 360 get a Street Fighter IV pad (or anything besides stock) asap.

Also, I think the challenge rooms ramp up in dificulty a little too quickly.

whaaa the controls are really messed up!!!

After spending so much time with the first ReArmed game.. I have way too much trouble with the new controls

it feels like Sonic The Hedgehog 4 controls right after playing extensive Sonic The Hedgehog 2 sessions

:(

Loved the first Rearmed, played the demo for part 2, and not feeling the new controls at all.

I'm sure I could get used to them, but I don't think I care enough to do it. This game leaves a terrible first impression.

Shame because I LOVED the first one. Funny, though, it seems like a lot of people who loved the first one really could care less about this. Interesting little study to be done there...why the apathy from the people who should love it the most?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Exclamation-One said:
Well, shit. 132 posts, official thread of a highly-anticipated new release relegated to the third page.

It's 8PM. Do you know where your kids sales are? :(
It's sad that the thread about the DRM in this game has way more posts than this one.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Swinging mechanics are definitely different right? Used to be able to press down or right to release from a swing... Just need to get used to it.

dark10x

gutter_trash said:
whaaa the controls are really messed up!!!

After spending so much time with the first ReArmed game.. I have way too much trouble with the new controls

it feels like Sonic The Hedgehog 4 controls right after playing extensive Sonic The Hedgehog 2 sessions

:(
Give it some time. Really. The first impression it leaves is pretty bad, I thought, but after playing a couple of stages, it started to click.

Barrett2

Am I an idiot; how do you get through the snowy level with the helicopter at the top of the long elevator ride?!

NM: finally climbed into it. I swear to god, I was hitting every button possible for ten minutes trying to climb into that damn thing. >_<

Haeleos

lawblob said:
Am I an idiot; how do you get through the snowy level with the helicopter at the top of the long elevator ride?!

NM: finally climbed into it. I swear to god, I was hitting every button possible for ten minutes trying to climb into that damn thing. >_<

Yea I was a little confused at that point as well. I thought I had to set off the rockets on the helicopter for some reason...

krakov

Also had some trouble readjusting to the new controls and/or swinging mechanics, but the game seems awesome so far. Playing on Hard seems the way to go for anyone that completed the first game though. Overall a bit on the easy side but I'm only about 6-7 levels in. Level design is great so far with a lot of alternate routes and secrets. Challenge rooms seem decently challenging, but I've only done the first ten.

Either way, I'd say this game is worth 15$ for the music alone.

taoofjord

The first one is one of my all-time favorite games on the 360. I wasn't interested in this one because it was being made by a different team. Anyway, I played the trial and came away really impressed. Will grab it soon. :]

What the fuck @ one of the last couple missions. The framerate drops into the single digits when you're fighting
the megacopter boss for the second time
. Ridiculous.

S1kkZ

iconoclast said:
What the fuck @ one of the last couple missions. The framerate drops into the single digits when you're fighting
the megacopter boss for the second time
. Ridiculous.
which version?
the background flickering really pisses me off. how did that glitch get through testing?

Top Bottom