• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

My parents did the old "we expected better of you routine" when I fucked up, usually it was like grades or something, and that stung more than anything.

ReiGun

Guilt always worked with me. My mom would sit us down and explain why things weren't working for her. I'd feel bad and start doing better for a time. However, my mom was never great with encouragement. I've start moping the kitchen floor regularly like she asked, she'd start complaining about the bathroom. I helped bring in the groceries, she'd complain if I didn't do so next time. Eventually, I just stopped giving a fuck and fell right back into not doing shit. I figured if I wasn't going to at least get a thank you for trying, why bother. (And yeah, in retrospect, I should have been grateful for the clothes and food and housing, but that shit didn't mean much to 12 year old me).

That's one thing I think we are slacking on in the black community: encouraging our young. We spend so much time thinking about how to rear them and new beating techniques, not even realizing that sometimes you just gotta speak some positivity into kids' lives.

Nakazato

Id whip that ass for old and new and till I felt better

/mymom

Im not beyond spanking but 3 or 4 hits is enough. If that.

I remember i got beat for some fuck ass teacher calling my house to say i didnt do my homework the night before. My dad comes home and see me crying and was like what you do. I told him mom beat me for not going my homework last night. But me and you did it and the teacher lied to her. I just didnt have page i showed my work on. I dont think i ever got whipped again.

A.E Suggs

He told DY jr. that he was going to the convenience store quickly and never came back. :(

lol
:(

My parents did the old "we expected better of you routine" when I fucked up, usually it was like grades or something, and that stung more than anything.

The real question is what will you do when that time comes.

Almost didn't realize you were the usual devo, what happened to your avatar?

harSon

Banned
lol aite whatever man.

Honestly now, what's remotely serious about saying: "That's why our white brethren need to start throwin' down on their children, cause whenever my group of friends start reminiscing about it, my white friends look more clueless than I do in a conversation about Country music."

Maybe I'm not funny or my joke didn't go over well, but at the very least, it's clear that it's not a reflection of my beliefs. As I said, I'm not going to say stuff like 'white brethren,' 'throw down on their children,' or make comparisons with my own cluelessless regarding Country in a post that's meant to be consumed seriously.

harSon

Banned
I have 1 white friend. I realized this the other day, and I haven't seen in him in a couple years.

I have heard white classmates in highschool say some racist shit just cause.

To what extent? I believe with each passing generation, jokes along racial lines have grown more and more accepted. My friends always say racist stuff to each other, but it's always in jest. And it's not restricted to whites either. I'd be hard pressed to find a ton of friends/acquaintances/etc of any race that don't throw out racist jokes on a near consistent basis. If we're being honest here, I've probably heard more 'racist jokes' from black people than any other race by far, regardless of whether its towards friends or complete strangers.

I stopped getting beat when my folks split up, but my mom went Incredible Hulk on my ass when she thought that I failed middle school. I passed, but I got suspended on my last day for some supreme bullshit that was out of my hands. She didn't even want to hear my side of the story.

I stopped getting beat when my folks split up, but my mom went Incredible Hulk on my ass when she thought that I failed middle school. I passed, but I got suspended on my last day for some supreme bullshit that was out of my hands. She didn't even want to hear my side of the story.

So last day of highschool everyone left early, this one cop decided to try to detain me and my friend and we were like "lol fuck you" and drove off anyway.

never had any broken bones or anything crazy, but i got whopped my fair share of times

worst beatings i got were for:

i hit my li'l bro with a rock. in the head. he was bleeding. why did we have a rock fight in the first place? i dunno man, i was a kid and there isn't really snow in the caribbean! <- this beating was prolly the worst, iirc my dad drew blood whooping my backside with an extension cord.

this one time i was working at a grocery store as a bagger for the summer... got paid and spent like half my money on gijoes! got beat and also got them taken away from me! <- belt all over DAT ASS.

i lit a fire in the backyard. the neighbors were like "wtf?" and told my fam. what the fuck was i thinking? i dunno... matches are cool!? <- got whooped with a hand and a high heel! sorry li'l cuz for dragging you into that one! the worst part of this one (at the time) was the long conversation about playing with fire before, during and after.

i don't think anything else came close to those... nothing i remember anyway. other than those, it was a minor beating or smack here and there.

Having PS1 taken away for a month was far worse to me than getting smacked for 3 minutes.

oh man, i remember one time my mom was talking to me and i wasn't hearing that so she just picked up my PS1 and SLAMMED IT! :(

I think the real reason you say it like that is because they have the unique opportunity to all be taller than you. I can picture it now, all the little time dogs growing up to be big time dawgs.

Nah I say that because Timedog was a little rascal. But you make a point, huge rascals would be harder to reign in. Even big time dawgs have weaknesses I know how to exploit.

To what extent? I believe with each passing generation, jokes along racial lines have grown more and more accepted. My friends always say racist stuff to each other, but it's always in jest. And it's not restricted to whites either. I'd be hard pressed to find a ton of friends/acquaintances/etc of any race that don't throw out racist jokes on a near consistent basis. If we're being honest here, I've probably heard more 'racist jokes' from black people than any other race by far, regardless of whether its towards friends or complete strangers.

This is the absolute opposite of my experience. Whenever I've been around black friends, race has almost invariably been brought up as a result of a particular occurrence or to make an actual point. In just about every group of white friends I've had had, race is brought up in the form of tasteless jokes, nine times out of 10. It's as they can't think of anything else to talk about sometimes. Doesn't matter if I make it clear they've gone over the line asap; it happened once, which is too many times.

LosDaddie

Banned
I didn't say it was easy.

You didn't, sure, but you pretty much said "Just talk to your kids/Make them use their brain", and every parent will tell you it's not that easy sometimes. Our daughter is 4yo, and sometimes there isn't any reasoning with her. You can talk to her all you want, take away her toys, etc and none of it will work. But let me tell you, she'll straighten right up after a spanking.

That's what I mean when I say spanking is a complimentary tool. It shouldn't be the first thing a parent does, or even the second thing. But when talking to your kid, grounding him or taking their stuff away doesn't work, then I don't see the issue in a spanking.

Indeed. Like I said earlier, spanking is our last resort, and hate to do it. But a time comes when enough is enough, and the spanking commences.

Now, as someone who is 27 and with their own life I barely respect my parents at all. I also do not fear them. To me they are beneath me. I also put on a facade in front of people. Doesn't mean I respect them. The other month my father put the bathroom rug on top of the recycle bin we take out to the curb. I thought this was gross so I rewashed it. I got mad heat for doing this. And a lecture on how I only need to do what he says to tell me to do and that if I had a modicum of respect for him I would do it.

Bullshit.

If respect is control, fuck it.

Are you living at your parent's house at 27?

This is the absolute opposite of my experience. Whenever I've been around black friends, race has almost invariably been brought up as a result of a particular occurrence or to make an actual point. In just about every group of white friends I've had had, race is brought up in the form of tasteless jokes, nine times out of 10.

Where do you live?

I've heard shit like "black people are gross" and "When I walk in a crowd and there's black people in it I don't inhale"....so yea not really going for laughs, cheap or otherwise.

harSon

Banned
This is the absolute opposite of my experience. Whenever I've been around black friends, race has almost invariably been brought up as a result of a particular occurrence or to make an actual point. In just about every group of white friends I've had had, race is brought up in the form of tasteless jokes, nine times out of 10. It's as they can't think of anything else to talk about sometimes. Doesn't matter if I make it clear they've gone over the line asap; it happened once, which is too many times.

Where do you live?

Personally, my circle of friends is fairly well mixed (I'd say about 25% Asian, 20% Black 20% White 20% Hispanic 15% Other) and they're all capable of making racially tasteless jokes. It's simply what we do and it's all in good fun. I'm sure people looking from the outside in would find us to be some of the most racist dicks in San Jose, but to us, it's simply a means of communicating and fucking with one another.

But as for hanging out with people I don't know all that well or am just getting to know, from my experiences, black people seemed to be a hell of a lot more likely (or maybe comfortable) making racial jokes around me. Hell, I've received more offensively racist stuff from black people in my life than whites by far. I've gotten so much shit from black people for being mixed when growing up, especially when I lived in a predominantly black neighborhood in Pittsburgh. And when they found out I was part Asian... kinds were annoying as fuck.

I've heard shit like "black people are gross" and "When I walk in a crowd and there's black people in it I don't inhale"....so yea not really going for laughs, cheap or otherwise.

Yeah, that's straight up ignorance.

So last day of highschool everyone left early, this one cop decided to try to detain me and my friend and we were like "lol fuck you" and drove off anyway.

I tried doing that on "Senior Cut Day" but didn't know that everyone brought in a fake note afterwards. I didn't and I got busted. Luckily I was a TA in the Attendance Office, so they let me off light. :lol

272_1_before-after-buttness_zps2639d3ae.jpg

NOW, NOW BRETHREN. WE MUST ALL REMAIN CALM IN THESE TRYING TIMES.

Yes it's possible that piece of ass you're crushing on could be fraudulently representing the booty. Yes, you could indeed be duped and your asspreciation taken advantage of by an unscrupulous young succubus. I offer this as a word of caution. You must remain vigilant. Go through the usual methods of inspecting the ass. Hopefully our sisters can provide advanced methods for determining whether questionableass is infact fradulentass.

Do not be shaken or deterred, men. Do not let the fear of a shamass hiding underneat a niceass pad stop the pursuit of assrighteousness. If you find yourslef conned, do not hesitate to report the offending party to local law enforcement. I can provide references in the even you decide to lawyer up.

This was a public service announcement. And yes, I am eating a sandwich but that had nothing to do with this dissemination of critical information.

harSon

Banned

I agree with you completely on that.

oh man, i remember one time my mom was talking to me and i wasn't hearing that so she just picked up my PS1 and SLAMMED IT! :(

Yeah, reminds me of the time my dad took a hammer to my computer monitor. I was grounded from it (For good reason, my grades were fucking BAD), but I would sneak in some gaming in the early mornings, when they weren't home or late at night, and he caught me. He left the room without saying anything, came back with a hammer and just struck my CRT monitor with one clean blow.

Where do you live?

Personally, my circle of friends is fairly well mixed (I'd say about 30% Asian, 25% Black 20% White 20% Hispanic 15% Other) and they're all capable of making racially tasteless jokes. It's simply what we do and it's all in good fun. I'm sure people looking from the outside in would find us to be some of the most racist dicks in San Jose, but to us, it's simply a means of communicating and fucking with one another.

But as for hanging out with people I don't know all that well or am just getting to know, from my experiences, black people seemed to be a hell of a lot more likely (or maybe comfortable) making racial jokes around me. Hell, I've received more offensively racist stuff from black people in my life than whites by far. I've gotten so much shit from black people for being mixed when growing up, especially when I lived in a predominantly black neighborhood in Pittsburgh.

I spent most of my life in Indiana. The concept of catching flack from other black people for being light-skinned/mixed is a foreign concept there, at least from what I've noticed. I know it's a thing, but it's still surprising for me to hear.

And it's the same when it's people I'm meeting for the first time. Just a few weeks ago, I met up with some friends from college and a new person I was just introduced to mentioned that I "acted white" (one of the most off-putting of all "jokes") but that he had one other black friend who was whiter than me, so I should take solace in knowing I'm not the whitest black guy around. That was squelched, but it doesn't at all help with my apprehension to make friends with anyone.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
272_1_before-after-buttness_zps2639d3ae.jpg

NOW, NOW BRETHREN. WE MUST ALL REMAIN CALM IN THESE TRYING TIMES.

Yes it's possible that piece of ass you're crushing on could be fraudulently representing the booty. Yes, you could indeed be duped and your asspreciation taken advantage of by an unscrupulous young succubus. I offer this as a word of caution. You must remain vigilant. Go through the usual methods of inspecting the ass. Hopefully our sisters can provide advanced methods for determining whether questionableass is infact fradulentass.

Do not be shaken or deterred, men. Do not let the fear of a shamass hiding underneat a niceass pad stop the pursuit of assrighteousness. If you find yourslef conned, do not hesitate to report the offending party to local law enforcement. I can provide references in the even you decide to lawyer up.

This was a public service announcement. And yes, I am eating a sandwich but that had nothing to do with this dissemination of critical information.
Is nothing sacred?

A.E Suggs

Unfortunately. And it is also a common occurrence for this generation, don't act like it is something a lot of people aren't dealing with. I've saved enough to move out but I'm saving for grad school now. I'm going to be moving out soon anyways.

Yes it is, I know plenty of college dropouts that has this happen and even some who finished completely had this happen. There's nothing wrong with being at your parents house as long as you aren't making life harder for them by being there.

harSon

Banned
I spent most of my life in Indiana. The concept of catching flack from other black people for being light-skinned/mixed is a foreign concept there, at least from what I've noticed. I know it's a thing, but it's still surprising for me to hear.

And it's the same when it's people I'm meeting for the first time. Just a few weeks ago, I met up with some friends from college and a new person I was just introduced to mentioned that I "acted white" (one of the most off-putting of all "jokes") but that he had one other black friend who was whiter than me, so I should take solace in knowing I'm not the whitest black guy around. That was squelched, but it doesn't at all help with my apprehension to make friends with anyone.

Hmmm, different states, different cultures it seems. That's not to say that I haven't heard white people around me say some offensive shit, because I definitely have, but for me, it's always been the black people around me that are too open with racial stuff.

And yeah man, black kids were relentless with mixed hating when I grew up. It makes sense though... Kids are always looking for shit within others that are different from the norm to hate on, so not only being light skinned, but having a mother who is White/Asian in an area that was 98+% black is definitely outside the norm :p They called me Rush Hour when they found out I was part Asian for 1-2 years....

This is closer to my experience but it's ranged from light hearted jest to downright ignorance.

I'm light skinned, can pass for Hispanic, and have a personality that is far from stereotypical though, so a lot of times the ignorant crap that I hear from Non-blacks is a slip up. They forget the company they keep and say some outlandish shit. So I'm come to the belief that even with friends who are light hearted in their jokes can possibly harbor less innocent intent behind it. That type of shit makes me distance myself from them.

I tried doing that on "Senior Cut Day" but didn't know that everyone brought in a fake note afterwards. I didn't and I got busted. Luckily I was a TA in the Attendance Office, so they let me off light. :lol

yeah, i spent senior cut day at the arcade and movies. people who went to the beach got busted. i had a note. thanks aunty!

yeah, i spent senior cut day at the arcade and movies. people who went to the beach got busted. i had a note. thanks aunty!

The best part was I had to speak with the assistant principal since technically truancy was punishable by suspension at minimum. But he said "well you've been doing such a good job in the office, I'll just give you a couple days detention and we'll call it even."

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Can't say I have an opinion on the beating stuff. I only got hit once and that was by my friend's grandma. Lots of talks and yelling, grounding and disappointment though. I got straight up interrogated in high school about drugs and even take home tested twice. Luckily I didn't smoke any bowls until college.

I wish Boondocks was on Netflix instant so bad.
Where does the rabbit hole end?
Oh, yeah.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Dr. Dynasty or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Absentee Father
I'm almost flattered

Coming from the woman that inspired a second million man march: to keep devolution from posting.
If I ever want to know how to be hated on by the people that I confuse sexually, I know who to call
itPfV6IhNTP8K.png

I'm almost flattered

Coming from the woman that inspired a second million man march: to keep devolution from posting. If I ever want to know how to be hated on by the people that I confuse sexually, I know who to call
itPfV6IhNTP8K.png

You don't want to know the other idea I had for that title, it was arguably more offensive to a wider range of people.

Top Bottom