• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Live from the Afro-Americenter...

randombanner.png

As for our first order of business, the Black Council will discuss...
YO FUCK BET.

Moving on.

After a quick journey through legislature, Natural's Law has finally been recognized by all members of the Black Council in each district.

In other news, exerts on "Black and Black" by captmcblack has been making the rounds as required reading.
Everyone wants to be black. There's nothing more punk rock on Earth than being black. We stroll in, all muscle and sinew and cocoa, fucking the game up like dirty edge connectors. We laugh loud and speak bold and emit "I-just-don't-give-a-fuck" with every movement. We have been scrutinized and analyzed in every conceivable way, and still we are mysterious and exotic right down to the kink of our hair to those - surprising, still numerous - people who haven't been in contact with us before. We've created the rhythm and the blues, the rock and the roll, the hip and the hop. We brought in the noise and the funk. We put the soul in food, and pretty much everything else too. We built your pyramids, and we leap over them with our seemingly impossible collective athleticism, borne of mountains, jungles and plains that many of us still live in all across the world. Everyone wants to be black.

No one wants to be black. There's nothing more terrifying than the knowledge that we exist in every way but individually to everyone - even other black people. We can never be judged by our own merits; we carry the weight of the race's progression with every step into the future like Atlas, and even he shrugged...but we can't, because it's considered weak and selling out if we do. Every bit of slang, every bit of clothing that sits the wrong way, every head nod and hand gesture can and will be taken in the wrong way, a universal "there-goes-the-neighborhood" by everyone that can do so, which basically consists of everyone that doesn't want the social association with black people. That group, naturally, consists of everyone that is able to pass as "non-black". We live in a world where we were kings until we were cattle, and then we were weapons, and then we were like aphids, sprouting up where we weren't wanted, corrupting non-black youth, and the reason for everything from crime to lowered test scores or property value. Nobody wants to be black.

My blackness offends infinitely.
I want to be black.

Also, I'm just not going to address the topic. I'm just going to sit back and watch. I wouldn't say we are universally reviled; it just seems that way sometimes.

A much needed breath of fresh air and necessary dialogue in contrast to the previous, failed legislature of "What About Now?". A foray into the concept of appeasement and the much discussed topic reverse racism.

Not everything at the Black Council has been of a serious note though. Recent debates regarding the validity, and possible criminality, of certain brands of fried chicken have been ongoing as well. There has also been a poll between denizens of the Afro-Americenter over the official theme. (As of 05/12/2012, the vote is over. Unanimous winner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m8fllPfl6A ) Others ongoing discussions...

Tyler Perry
Idris Elba
"Nigga/Nigger"
Black Hair
Delicious Food
BLACK MUSCLES
And other stereotypes

But even with all of the changes and upcoming discussions, the optional sign-in sheet for the newer members, mainly to serve as an icebreaker, remains unchanged.

Where you're from-
Where you live-
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy-
Do you know your roots-
Your Age-
Favorite musical genre-
Your profession/major/career interest-
Your religious affiliation-
Hobbies-

I think the best thing about this thread is that this is not some hidey hole in the back of GAF where we discuss Operation Caliphate and how to further confound the White Man. This has been a place where many have come to discuss heritage, habits, perspectives, and generally share knowledge and experiences among others who understand that this road walked is indeed different. From East Coast to West Coast, from Syria to England, and from Africa to the Caribbean, this place of discussion has turned into something pretty great (when we're not talking about datass).

Also, some good reading that anyone might find useful on the topic of Black Culture (mostly links from the previous thread):

http://www.mariabuszek.com/kcai/PoMoSeminar/Readings/BangsWhite.pdf - on racism without the whip
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29471503&postcount=9501
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28916123&postcount=8252 - an interesting read on "hipster racism"
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28002131&postcount=6354 - black knights not named Martin
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27883495&postcount=5953 - a dialogue between jon stewart and o'reilly regarding common's trip to the white house
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26875747&postcount=4118 - interesting stuff from old school JET magazine

Previous Black Council meeting introduced many to some good art as well:
Sorry for the topic change, but I've been meaning to ask this. For those of you art lovers here, who are some black artists/illustrators you admire?

I love the work of Frank Morrison.
freedom1-107jp.jpg

He's one of my major influences. I plan on buying more prints of his work...originals? I wish lol
I took French in highschool so I could read it to some degree. I'd love to be able to speak French + Creole fluently, though.

Ernie Barnes.
Barnes-Sugar_Shack.jpg

He's most known for doing the art for the Good Times sitcom opening as well as doing the art for the Marvin Gaye, "I Want You" album (which is what I posted).
Why no mention of Jean-Michel?

basquiat_sig_335.jpg

Even a bit of Spoken Word:
And some cliff notes Chris Rock and Paul Mooney:
Paul Mooney Analyzing White America
Skip to 13:50 to answer your questions

In the meantime, please try and tone down your intimidating stares. Its making people uncomfortable.

1273550718206_f.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To kick off this meeting, on the same ground as our once epic Barbershop |OT|, I'd like to plug an HBO Documentary centered around Harry Belafonte's experiences on and off the screen. Sing Your Song definitely has my interest right off the bat. Looks great and I'd recommend it to everyone.

Other enlightening material:
Essays on THEE fuck
PnP Ratio
And Goku getting bodied by Wonder Woman Parts 1 and Parts 2

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The IRC Chat said:
studio64.yi.org
#keepinitreal

Co-opted weekly podcast by MorisUkunRasik and the good people of So Well Spoken
TgLoe.jpg

Who?
-A semi-regular group of 4 members of The Black Culture Thread with rotating regulars in the 5th and 6th seat.

What?
-A podcast to discuss culture, entertainment and current events.

When?
-We're still feeling things out but it's looking like a weekly thing for the time being, we may switch to bi-weekly down the road.

Where?
-RSS Feed - http://sowellspoken.podomatic.com/rss2.xml
-Website - http://sowellspoken.podomatic.com/
-A mirror for direct downloads will be available for each episode below.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Episode #1: Racism
General discussion about racism the four of us have come across.
Run time 42 minutes 47 seconds

The Cast:
onemic - MorisUkunRasik - DY_nasty - Imm0rt4l

Stream --- Direct Download --- Mirror (Right Click -> Save)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++

Episode #2: Django Unchained
CONTAINS SPOILERS.
The four of us return joined by Soundscream and Devolution to discuss Django Unchained.
Run time: 95 minutes 21 seconds

The Cast:
Soundscream - Devolution - onemic - MorisUkunRasik - DY_nasty - Imm0rt4l

Stream --- Direct Download --- Mirror (Right Click -> Save)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++

*Ask A Black Guy - email MorisRasik@gmail.com with any questions you want answered. I think we'll be ending every episode with a handful of these from now on.

NEXT WEEK:
Episode #3: Minorities In Games

The Tentative Cast:
Topher - DrFunk - onemic - MorisUkunRasik - DY_nasty - Imm0rt4l

Special thanks to Devolution for our banners & to FyreWulff for mirroring our files.
OP updated regularly. PM for additional details

That documentary (Sing Your Song) was very interesting. I learned about the racist standards of entertainment (tv and movies) and how Belafonte and those around him dealt with that and sometimes even broke the rules. It was ridiculous, however, how an interracial romance couldn't show intimacy and it's still a thing today. I can't really think of a movie outside of the interracial relationship being the focal point in which characters of different races hook up.

Fuck yeah black people.

I miss Living Single.

I grew up on all that delicious 90s shit. Fresh Prince, Sister Sister, Martin, Family Matters.

Onemic

Operation Caliphate in full effect!

Movie looks interesting. I'll probably watch it later this weekend.

KFC still lost.

Jay-Z still lost.

spindashing still lost.

Now that we got that out of the way, FUCK YEAH OT2. The longest-lasting cross-cultural thread in GAF history; the thread that cannot die, like questions about why we don't have WET!

Shoutouts to everyone that participated in these threads since OG Negro-Age. Shoutouts to everyone that participates in discussions on race, ethnicity and culture on GAF in a civilized manner. Shoutouts to everyone who keeps this thread alive; as long as it's here, it's Black History Month every month in this little slice of the Internet.

Finally, keep your hands off my Janelle Monae, motherfuckers. I see y'all.

FREE LONDA
RIP MUFASA

zero_suit

KFC still lost.

Jay-Z still lost.

spindashing still lost.

Now that we got that out of the way, FUCK YEAH OT2. The longest-lasting cross-cultural thread in GAF history; the thread that cannot die, like questions about why we don't have WET!

Shoutouts to everyone that participated in these threads since OG Negro-Age. Shoutouts to everyone that participates in discussions on race, ethnicity and culture on GAF in a civilized manner. Shoutouts to everyone who keeps this thread alive; as long as it's here, it's Black History Month every month in this little slice of the Internet.

Finally, keep your hands off my Janelle Monae, motherfuckers. I see y'all.

FREE LONDA
RIP MUFASA

:(

If devo got banned, it can't be a real one and it can't be that long.

It's unlikely that she'd do something that would merit a real, long ban...and this forum doesn't work that way.

Mononofu

If devo got banned, it can't be a real one and it can't be that long.

It's unlikely that she'd do something that would merit a real, long ban...and this forum doesn't work that way.

It appears to have happened in the "My Weekend In America’s So-Called ‘Rape Capital’" thread. I'm sure it was undeserved and will be very short.

IceCold

I don't get why people have these long debates in those threads. It's like someone who willingly goes into a minefield. Too risky. Usually I'll look at a thread like that and either bail right away or just post an innocent one liner and bail.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
NI9TU.jpg

All hail Parallax! Royal King of Zamunda!

damn.. i didnt think i posted in here as much as others. and by such a large ass margin too...

although if himuro and spin were still posting, i think i would have lost.

Dang, come home from work to see devo got banned.

I honestly didn't know I posted that much in the last thread.

I'm watching Moesha and that there Brandy....MmmmMmmmmm.

Ambassador from Jewish GAF here.

I hope I'm not derailing the thread by doing this, but I came to ask what you guys thought of some of the comments I made on this page, pertaining to parallels between black persecution and Jewish persecution. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473387&page=7

I skimmed through it quickly-not really sure what you're trying to get at with that topic. I never saw the "who has it worse" argument as particularly useful, but when comparing the history of Blacks and Jews in this country, it's not really close at all, and borderline insulting to make the comparison.

RawPower

Banned
I skimmed through it quickly-not really sure what you're trying to get at with that topic. I never saw the "who has it worse" argument as particularly useful, but when comparing the history of Blacks and Jews in this country, it's not really close at all, and borderline insulting to make the comparison.

The topic just kind of went in that direction after a while. And no, I was being general with my comments and didn't mean this country specifically (assuming you're talking about America).

Just want to say, whoever brought up Blacking It Up and the Afterblack podcasts in the previous OT, thanks.
Past couple of weeks, that crew have been cracking me up on my commute to work. Its sooo good

The topic just kind of went in that direction after a while. And no, I was being general with my comments and didn't mean this country specifically (assuming you're talking about America).

Correct. I'm referring to treatment of African-Americans and Jewish Americans in the US. Talking about the world as a WHOLE is a different argument, since not only are all blacks not treated equally (My understanding is some places are friendlier towards African-Americans than Sub Saharan Africans, for instance), but you get into debating whether a bias against Jews has a cultural basis, or is related to what Israel is doing politically.

RawPower

Banned
but you get into debating whether a bias against Jews has a cultural basis, or is related to what Israel is doing politically.

The former wouldn't surprise me at all (as antisemitism had thrived in this world long before the state of Israel was even a gleam in Herzl's eye, as was actually a large precipitating factor in its creation in the first place), and the latter has frequently been used in just about every culture as a means to cloak views that would otherwise be condemned as expressions of racist hatred of Jews, and this is why my internal alarms tend to go off whenever any non-Jew proclaims themselves to be anti-Zionist.

Nevertheless, I've derailed this thread long enough. I shall make my exit now. Cheers, black-GAF.

Top Bottom