• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT18| - Ma-ma-ma-MAXIMUM! Haram Achieved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

giphy.gif

D i Z

Been identifying as mixed, which I think goes against what they're asking

man, what did I even pay for? haha

edit: I say I'm English. Then they say, "but your parents", then I say english... then they say "but like..." then i list out numerous mixes and I get "oh okay lol that's a lot"

It was still hilariously ignorant for Hillary to tell America that it was a hate symbol. Like, what was she hoping to gain for doing that? Proving that Trump voters are deplorable?

She called it for what it was. The fact that it gained even more traction afterwards more so proved the point than jeopardized what was already a work in progress. How the idiotic and infantile adoption of it (before and after) could be blamed on anyone that called it out as ignorant is beyond me. People living in an internet bubble is how this happened. Not my gov'ment tho, right?

Izuna

Banned
She called it for what it was. The fact that it gained even more traction afterwards more so proved the point than jeopardized what was already a work in progress. How the idiotic and infantile adoption of it (before and after) could be blamed on anyone that called it out as ignorant is beyond me. People living in an internet bubble is how this happened. Not my gov'ment tho, right?

Louis says it better than me, but it's not a great idea to make the Pepe meme itself confirmed to be an alt-right symbol and not just address the fact that these people are the ones who made the minority of Pepe memes racist.

It's validating it, it ruins it for others who want no part, and it sets a terrible precedent. Of course, I don't literally think Hillary is solely responsible, but that in general, it's just not a good idea.

D i Z

Louis says it better than me, but it's not a great idea to make the Pepe meme itself confirmed to be an alt-right symbol and not just address the fact that these people are the ones who made the minority of Pepe memes racist.

It's validating it, it ruins it for others who want no part, and it sets a terrible precedent. Of course, I don't literally think Hillary is solely responsible, but that in general, it's just not a good idea.

It was already validated by its use. And its' fucking Pepe. They can have trash, because they can't take anything else. Who exactly is crying over this besides the creator that didn't protect his work?

Shy

At least it's a collector's edition that actually includes the game.
It's a really sad world we live where that statement is made honestly. *Sigh*
I won't even lie. I totally would cop a Cap Shield.
Haven't there been really good Cap Shield replicas that have already come out ?
These goddamn shadows in Persona 5. No I don't want you back, I threw your ass out for a reason. I just want your money.
LMAO.

Izuna

Banned
It was already validated by its use. And its' fucking Pepe. They can have trash, because they can't take anything else. Who exactly is crying over this besides the creator that didn't protect his work?

As for who is annoyed by it, besides myself, I think Louis puts it better than I could. That's not to run away from the further debate, but to admit that we're probably at the end of the road. I understand your point.

D i Z

As for who is annoyed by it, besides myself, I think Louis puts it better than I could. That's not to run away from the further debate, but to admit that we're probably at the end of the road. I understand your point.

So, no one of consequence or with a view of anything bigger than what children do on the internet? Got it. I also understand where you're coming from.

Numb

Far too late for me. I'm one of the few people on GAF that loves Funko pops. I have over a dozen ATM. I also have a Yoshikage Kira figure that I absolutely adore.

People either like funkos or hate on em
Not gonna lie that stone mask looked good when i first saw it

It was already ruined when it became a 4chan staple

Zaverious

Do trading cards count because I was one of the many people that collected Yu-Gi-Oh cards and never played the game thanks to the anime. I only learned how to play recently from that Duel Links mobile game a few months ago.
--
Only games I've gotten that weren't regular edition were Dead Rising 2 and Kingdom Hearts II.5 and that's only because they happened to be cheaper at the moment I got them. I loved my Zombrex pen even though it couldn't write worth a damn.

Izuna

Banned
So, no one of consequence or with a view of anything bigger than what children do on the internet? Got it.

That's reductive. He's addressing his fanbase which, for the most part, aren't the main audience for such a thing which in turn shows how something like this is a (relatively small) concern for many more people than you'd think.

The annoyance is the precedent it sets. If anything in the public domain can become an official hate symbol because of alt-right trolling, it's a shame. Pepe the frog was around for 10 years. At no point was it ever a "symbol for racism" until people did exactly what Hilary did, and make it so.

Memes aren't the most important thing in people's lives and it isn't the point, but it's just as juvenile to take the work of a small minority and have their stupidity be validation just to colour Trump voters as racist. There are many other ways to do so, besides validating fascism to become a meme.

When Hillary said what she said, what was the expected reaction? "Oh my goodness, Trump Twitter really IS bad, I best vote for Hillary instead!"

Also, you don't have to be someone big on any particular issue to have a worthwhile opinion, just an audience that is listening.

edit: fuck, just saw your edit, disregard...

I've been given 5 Fallout 4 Funko Pops. I would never buy them myself, they look a lil weird.
I am picky. Some funkos look trash. I lean to helmeted pops myself, or pops where the eyes fit the pop. The big daddy, titanfall and league of legends ones are quite nice.

I just ran into two old friends I haven't seen in a decade.

Two women from Haiti who were literally a fish out of water when they arrived here in the United States as young girls. My 6th grade teacher who they were assigned to ran to me and asked if my mother can come in to translate (shout out to her for remembering my mother is Haitian)

So I go home, ask my mother to come in and the rest is history. Now they're both crazy successful... one of them traveled around the world and the other became an engineer. All thanks to my 6th grade teacher connecting them to the only other Haitian person in the city xD

Numb

I just ran into two old friends I haven't seen in a decade.

Two women from Haiti who were literally a fish out of water when they arrived here in the United States as young girls. My 6th grade teacher who they were assigned to ran to me and asked if my mother can come in to translate (shout out to her for remembering my mother is Haitian)

So I go home, ask my mother to come in and the rest is history. Now they're both crazy successful... one of them traveled around the world and the other became an engineer. All thanks to my 6th grade teacher connecting them to the only other Haitian person in the city xD

That's cool of your teacher and mom helping out
If only her son was kind enough to take her to see a man bark like she wants to

GOAT show

Nigga you old, Soap itself was an odd show, so ahead of it's time

Yup..first gay character on Primetime TV. Show was bananas. Scooped it up back in the Blockbuster online days and showed it to my wife who has never heard of it. She was bugging out with just how many people basically starred or started out on that show.

Actually due for a rewatch..

Shit looks amazing..amazingly expensive.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I just never bought it in the first place. Him in the storm trooper outfit just like Luke was is the biggest tell from the advertising..they weren't gonna rehash it that blatantly. Add that picture of Rey with the staff parallel to Kylo's saber and it made it pretty clear to me she was the main focus..

I do kinda understand why folks might have been disappointed, but some just take the shit way too far. Literally the hero of the movie, if people took the time to pay attention..

They were co-leads. He did as much to drive the plot forward as she did.

The movie is about Finn, Rey, and Kylo Ren in roughly equal portion.

D i Z

That's reductive. He's addressing his fanbase which, for the most part, aren't the main audience for such a thing which in turn shows how something like this is a (relatively small) concern for many more people than you'd think.

The annoyance is the precedent it sets. If anything in the public domain can become an official hate symbol because of alt-right trolling, it's a shame. Pepe the frog was around for 10 years. At no point was it ever a "symbol for racism" until people did exactly what Hilary did, and make it so.

Memes aren't the most important thing in people's lives and it isn't the point, but it's just as juvenile to take the work of a small minority and have their stupidity be validation just to colour Trump voters as racist. There are many other ways to do so, besides validating fascism to become a meme.

When Hillary said what she said, what was the expected reaction? "Oh my goodness, Trump Twitter really IS bad, I best vote for Hillary instead!"

Also, you don't have to be someone big on any particular issue to have a worthwhile opinion, just an audience that is listening.

edit: fuck, just saw your edit, disregard...

Again, it was a symbol adopted by them way before she ever spoke about it.
You're entire argument is based on revisionist history. And no, they wouldn't and couldn't do this for any other intellectual property that was being properly curated.

It's like you forget how long this went on before she talked about it, and how even Trump adopted it at one point when they made the meme about him. That same campaign adopted Milo to gather the flock. Brietbart doesn't need you or any Youtuber to cover their tracks. Meme culture is solely at fault. Meme culture takes down far greater than Pepe.
Will you cry for them too? Or is the precious internet shit culture more concerning to you?

Folks really showing their asses in that "would you date someone from your opposite political party"hread.

Let me take a shot at guessing what's happening. They trying to be high and mighty motherfuckers, standing on their marble towers, saying they don't care about political lines, even if they are in a party of hatred, because some stupid excuse or some crap. Right?

--------------------------

Evening, everyone. How has your day been?

Portugal won Eurovision ( i don't really care :p ) and the singer just decided to shat on everyone else there in his speech. <3

Now GAF is all salty as fuck. HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom