• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT18| - Ma-ma-ma-MAXIMUM! Haram Achieved

Status
Not open for further replies.
5?! I'm assuming they're all different figures, right? wtf could they even be? 2 vault dwellers(boy and girl), a ghoul, a death claw and what else?
Brotherhood of Steel, Nick Valentine and Piper are other pops in that line.

All I'm saying is that if you make the next OT anime themed and I'll let you hold a couple of these.
1200px-US_%2420_Series_2006_Obverse.jpg

Imm0rt4l

Let me take a shot at guessing what's happening. They trying to be high and mighty motherfuckers, standing on their marble towers, saying they don't care about political lines, even if they are in a party of hatred, because some stupid excuse or some crap. Right?

--------------------------

Evening, everyone. How has your day been?
Ding ding ding

Thinking politics has no baring on a relationship is the whitest shit. I mean that may be an option for them. They don't have to care if their s/o is a bigot bent on disenfranchising people on the margins of society...they aren't on the margins and empathy is hard apparently.

Izuna

Banned
Again, it was a symbol adopted by them way before she ever spoke about it.
You're entire argument is based on revisionist history. And no, they wouldn't and couldn't do this for any other intellectual property that was being properly curated.

It's like you forget how long this went on before she talked about it, and how even Trump adopted it at one point when they made the meme about him. That same campaign adopted Milo to gather the flock. Brietbart doesn't need you or any Youtuber to cover their tracks. Meme culture is solely at fault. Meme culture takes down far greater than Pepe.

What Hillary did was merely throwing fuel on a flame to tell everyone that it's burning.

As much as Pepe was adopted by them, it wasn't exclusively and alt-right symbol until way after that point regardless. Hence the whole #savepepe stuff that happened.

It's an awfully ineffective method to not draw the distinction between "alt-right using Pepe" and "Pepe is an alt-right symbol".

But as for IP, I'm mentioning stuff that's int he public domain. And that much doesn't even matter. Like, dare I mention that Spiderman has a distinctive meaning on 4chan that is definitely way more prevalent than Pepe as an alt-right character ever was. If Spiderman was in public domain, you'd bet that you'd see t-shirts of that very meme out and about, and a public figure pointing that out and for an organisation to validify it would be all that we'd need to have that character as nothing else.

The fact is, after Pepe was being called out as a hate symbol, all that did was to increase the amount of alt-right Pepe memes.

I guess the crux of my point is that... Knowing what precedent that sets... If meme-culture is such an issue people should at least understand it to the point of not feeding into it ironically with criticism.

~~

#savepepe is taking whatever power the alt-right has gained from the whole stupidity away from them. I mean, there's always going to be something I guess.

Most of these dudes don't give a fuck about bigotry, they just know it's socially more acceptable not to vocally align with it.

They damn sure won't let it get in the way of hypothetical pussy

akira28

It was already validated by its use. And its' fucking Pepe. They can have trash, because they can't take anything else. Who exactly is crying over this besides the creator that didn't protect his work?

I'm not crying but I am smh...it is kind of fucked up. you can't relax for shit. Like he was being cool and letting the public domain make memes with his shit. Everyone is having a good time, its all cools. Then these motherfuckers had to be clever and start appropriating shit within their little groups while letting it bleed and mix in everywhere else. He tried to just let the internet play around, but some asshole teenagers had to come and break the toys for everyone.

that shit's not cool. so I don't feed too much energy into them, but I will oppose them, block them, freeze them out, and starve them through entropy whenever I can. side eye shade powers activate.

Izuna

Banned
Don't know why people think memes cross into real life
Never seen people talk about them in a conversation

But that's no longer enough to disregard something. The most important conversations of our generation happen in big part on the internet (politics for one). It's not smart to ignore its effects.

Numb

But that's no longer enough to disregard something. The most important conversations of our generation happen in big part on the internet (politics for one). It's not smart to ignore its effects.

Not disregarding
Saying it doesn't happen outside the internet

D i Z

What Hillary did was merely throwing fuel on a flame to tell everyone that it's burning.

As much as Pepe was adopted by them, it wasn't exclusively and alt-right symbol until way after that point regardless. Hence the whole #savepepe stuff that happened.

It's an awfully ineffective method to not draw the distinction between "alt-right using Pepe" and "Pepe is an alt-right symbol".

But as for IP, I'm mentioning stuff that's int he public domain. And that much doesn't even matter. Like, dare I mention that Spiderman has a distinctive meaning on 4chan that is definitely way more prevalent than Pepe as an alt-right character ever was. If Spiderman was in public domain, you'd bet that you'd see t-shirts of that very meme out and about, and a public figure pointing that out and for an organisation to validify it would be all that we'd need to have that character as nothing else.

The fact is, after Pepe was being called out as a hate symbol, all that did was to increase the amount of alt-right Pepe memes.

Edit:

When did comic book conventions become "the real world"?

I guess the crux of my point is that... Knowing what precedent that sets... If meme-culture is such an issue people should at least understand it to the point of not feeding into it ironically with criticism.

~~

#savepepe is taking whatever power the alt-right has gained from the whole stupidity away from them. I mean, there's always going to be something I guess.

Hence, Pepe had to die. Again, this didn't set any precedent. This has been happening long before this particular frog. It's happened to living human beings. Who's hash tagging to save them? Pointing the finger at the reaction to the event and not the event itself is short sighted and evasive.

A real world example is Spencer with the pin. Outside of the creators control. A comic con protest is internet extension.

D i Z

I'm not crying but I am smh...it is kind of fucked up. you can't relax for shit. Like he was being cool and letting the public domain make memes with his shit. Everyone is having a good time, its all cools. Then these motherfuckers had to be clever and start appropriating shit within their little groups while letting it bleed and mix in everywhere else. He tried to just let the internet play around, but some asshole teenagers had to come and break the toys for everyone.

that shit's not cool. so I don't feed too much energy into them, but I will oppose them, block them, freeze them out, and starve them through entropy whenever I can. side eye shade powers activate.

It is fucked up. That's why artists don't put work out that can't be protected.
There are levels to how much can be done, but if a creator sits back and lets the alt right and trolls run with their shit without intervention, that's on them.

akira28

I read the first issue. looked like Panther was about to go worldwide. He even pulled White Tiger in from the cold. Where he was. for no damn reason (marvel writer side eye).

at least they make it to #6...

What he say?

Something about how they should be there for the music not just to put on a big show with props and fireworks(Which the majority of the finalists used), or some shit like that.

GAF: "omg, so pretentious & arrogant, i didn't even like his song! This is not the Eurovision winner that i wanted! *cry*"

Slayven

Something about how they should be there for the music not just to put on a big show with props and fireworks(Which the majority of the finalists used), or some shit like that.

GAF: "omg, so pretentious & arrogant, i didn't even like his song! This is not the Eurovision winner that i wanted! *cry*"
I see his point, but at the same time so what if folks want to party?

I wasn't even a little bit surprised tbh

Just be shocked at how far the fuckery goes, not that ti exists

I see his point, but at the same time so what if folks want to party?

Go to the club? Not a song contest? :>

Tbh, i didn't really even care until GAFers started getting mad as posting shit like "why is this homeless looking man getting so uptity!?" :p (I don't watch television outside of soccer ... sometimes)

edit: also, some guy went on the stage and showed his ass...i mean, literally! ...

Slayven

That is why i am not mad when companies are quick with the cease and desist, no one is going to treat your shit better then you

akira28

I'm not saying I know people who say Reeee but uh....

well they're implying everyone the disagree with is on the autism spectrum in some way or another which is just...its like they stand for nothing except their own inflated egos and carefully cultivated self-images.

Currently watching Dear White People. on Episode 4.
I'm upset with what happened between Sam and Coco. Its rare you see black women stay good friends on TV, correct me if I'm wrong, and its always a feel good moment when they got each others back. I feel sorry for them both at this point, they let too much get in between them.
I'll be rooting for them regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom