• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Tebow was a bonus for the NFL. They didn't need him.

I think a big reason the NFL is thriving is because the media has ingrained in most of us that the QB is the most important position. Not a football expert so I'm not going to argue that stance, but I know it is definitely the most glamorized position in the game and is unquestionably dominated by white dudes. If black dudes ran the QB position, ratings would be significantly lower.

Tribalism for that ass. Black dominance of the NBA is why you see so much resentment for the league from the populous.
I can't fully agree with this.. There are and have been plenty of great QBs while it us true that they were shunned in the 70s now they are shinning.. I just think there are as many good white players as blacks players which makes the NFL do so well..

$hawty

Banned
I can't fully agree with this.. There are and have been plenty of great QBs while it us true that they were shunned in the 70s now they are shinning.. I just think there are as many good white players as blacks players which makes the NFL do so well..

I don't see that. I agree that there are more skilled white Americans that play in the NFL (in terms of ratio) as opposed to the NBA. No doubt. But besides the QB position and maybe O linemen and kickers/punters, I'm pretty sure blacks are the super majority in all other positions.

Blackace

I don't see that. I agree that there are more skilled white Americans that play in the NFL (in terms of ratio) as opposed to the NBA. No doubt. But besides the QB position and maybe O linemen and kickers/punters, I'm pretty sure blacks are the super majority in all other positions.

The NFL is roughly 57 to 60% non white.. And that includes mixed, Asians, Samaons and so on..

$hawty

Banned
I think its more like 70-30.

And I think TEs are majority white, so I might have been wrong on that one.

Anyway, point is that QBs run the league and they are white. I think it is comforting to White America the fact that there been few unequivocally great black QBs. Moon...who else? Vick? Mcnabb? Newton has a shot.

Likewise, I think that a chunk of blacks are going to resent Lin.

Where you're from Born in miami, florida
Where you live Currently in Los Angeles, CA
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy Jamaican, chinese, bahamian, irish and african
Do you know your roots? Not sure what this means.
Your Age 29
Favorite musical genre eclectic
Your profession/major/career interest Computers, CA, looking into Cinematography
Your religious affiliation Athiest
Hobbies Games, movies and music. I try to play the guitar and I try to make 3D models.

- Do you feel ostracized as a black nerd/dork? Charles Barkley once said that "there's nothing sadder than a black nerd". What do you think about those words, and while we're on the issue, what is gaf's opinion on the whole "act white" thing?

No, it is never about how one perceives himself it is about how others treat you. Thankfully I have been in good company. Never liked the "act white" comments.

DominoKid

Anyway, point is that QBs run the league and they are white. I think it is comforting to White America the fact that there been few unequivocally great black QBs. Moon...who else? Vick? Mcnabb? Newton has a shot.

1. Our time is coming. We will one day have our on GOAT QB to stick up there with Tiger, Kobe, Ali, etc as black people in the GOAT pantheon.

2. Black people love asians. We wouldn't hate on Lin.

Blackace

It's a printed statistic from the NFL.. You eye balling stuff doesn't really count.

Moon, Cunningham, McNair, Wiilliams(who got done wrong), McNabb, Vick...

The list is short because black QBs just got their shot about 20 years ago..

The NFL is roughly 57 to 60% non white.. And that includes mixed, Asians, Samaons and so on..
What makes these statistics so shocking is the vast majority of basketball & football players throughout HS are white. The number goes down when you get to college then really drops once you reach the professional level.

$hawty

Banned
It's a printed statistic from the NFL.. You eye balling stuff doesn't really count.

Lol oh I'm eye balling? Shame on you thinking I made that shit up. But I did look at some shoddy source for my information. I don't see your facts either tho, mr. mod.

Doug won. But was Doug great? Like I would never call McNabb nor McNair great....they were both good and at times really good. Vick might be great just as a pure athlete...but as pure QB no effin way. Cunningham...no. Moon..and Moon alone right now in my eyes.

Blackace

Lol oh I'm eye balling? Shame on you thinking I made that shit up. But I did look at some shoddy source for my information. I don't see your facts either tho, mr. mod.

Doug won. But was Doug great? Like I would never call McNabb nor McNair great....they were both good and at times really good. Vick might be great just as a pure athlete...but as pure QB no effin way. Cunningham...no. Moon..and Moon alone right now in my eyes.

McNabb was great in his prime.. Really outside of Manning who was a better QB during his time with the Eagles? Really there wasn't many better QBs in that era. McNair as well.. From college to the pros dude was aces Cunningham was Mike Vick before Mike was Mike Vick and as a Viking showed how good he would have been with a line and wideouts.

And what is a PURE QB? Was Faulk less of an RB because he was deadlier catching from the backfield than running through the tackles?

Today, recent surveys have shown that the NFL is approximately 57-61% non-white, including African Americans, Polynesians (an anomalously high 1.7% of NFL players are American Samoans),[31] non-white Hispanics, Asians, and people of mixed race.

And there is the quote I found Mr. Junior...

Bleepey

I feel a lot better after going to work today and seeing a dude simp 3 times harder than me.

Dude came in to bring this girl flowers and a teddy bear. And that's cool - but let me put this in perspective... dude lead off with "I see you as a friend, and I like you as a friend - but I just want you to have these as a friend :3"

It was so apparent that he wasn't even going to touch it. Not even look at it.

I felt bad for dude - then I felt good because my shit was nowhere remotely close to that

I burst out laughing in the library. I have probably done worst though.:-(

$hawty

Banned
McNabb was great in his prime.. Really outside of Manning who was a better QB during his time with the Eagles? Really there wasn't many better QBs in that era. McNair as well.. From college to the pros dude was aces Cunningham was Mike Vick before Mike was Mike Vick and as a Viking showed how good he would have been with a line and wideouts.

And what is a PURE QB? Was Faulk less of an RB because he was deadlier catching from the backfield than running through the tackles?

And there is the quote I found Mr. Junior...

Where's the link?

And being good "in your prime" means what? Jerry Stackhouse scored 29 PPG "in his prime." I would even argue that Culpepper "in his prime" was better than McNabb. Sorry to say, McNabb had a really good and above average career and didn't deserve most of the criticism that he oddly faced during his career. Saying great is a stretch.

McNair was sick in college and good in the pros. Cunningham was a stud too. He went 30-13 AND ran for 900 + yards one season. That's incredible. Shit, Vick hasn't even had that great of a season. yet. I think you'd have a better argument saying that there have been really good black QBs than playing around with the "great" word.

QBs better than McNabb with the Eagles? Plenty...Brady(who beat him), Farve to name a few.

Bleepey

Just remember I've posted/lurked in this thread for a while without filling out the OP questionnaire thing. Usually because I was too lazy too. Anyway, I've got readings to do for a class...so I figured now was as good a time as ever to fill it out

Where you're from Maryland. Born in Baltimore, although raised elsewhere
Where you live Princeton, NJ
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - Uhh, mom's Nigerian. Dad's from Cameroon...I'm a bit pissed both parents know english and igbo, he knows french, and I only know english
Do you know your roots? As in...?
Your Age 22
Favorite musical genre Rap, although I do like pop rock as well
Your profession/major/career interest Computer Science!
Your religious affiliation Christian. Although I went to Catholic Church when I was little cuz of my dad
Hobbies Drawing, videogames, soccer, used to row

Do you feel ostracized as a black nerd/dork? Charles Barkley once said that "there's nothing sadder than a black nerd". What do you think about those words, and while we're on the issue, what is gaf's opinion on the whole "act white" thing?

Well first of all, Charles Barkley says dumb shit habitually, so I'm not even gonna take offense to a comment from him. Anyway, I don't have a problem being a black nerd. I've heard the "You're the least black person ever" and stuff. Partially cuz I'm not the stereotypical thug, partially cuz I'm light skinned but, ironically it was from non-black people. I've really not had too much trouble with other black people. Even back in HS, when I go into MIT, the other black kids I knew were more excited by it than I was! I'm not sure what GAFs opinion on it is. I feel there are enough black people that it doesn't really get said too much

Do you go to MIT or Princeton? Do you dress "hood"? I can empathise with you, I am so bitter about my parents speaking to me in I English and I forgot Igbo which Kd my mother tongue. Same shit happened to my little brother, I begged and pleaded with my mum not to speak to him in English and he forgot Into like I did. Urhhhhhhhhhh. My cousins speak behind my back in front of me and I think about what I will pass down to my children.

Blackace

Where's the link?

And being good "in your prime" means what? Jerry Stackhouse scored 29 PPG "in his prime." I would even argue that Culpepper "in his prime" was better than McNabb. Sorry to say, McNabb had a really good and above average career and didn't deserve most of the criticism that he oddly faced during his career. Saying great is a stretch.

McNair was sick in college and good in the pros. Cunningham was a stud too. He went 30-13 AND ran for 900 + yards one season. That's incredible. Shit, Vick hasn't even had that great of a season. yet. I think you'd have a better argument saying that there have been really good black QBs than playing around with the "great" word.

QBs better than McNabb with the Eagles? Plenty...Brady(who beat him), Farve to name a few.

Link? Really? lol ok

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_players_in_American_professional_football

Brady..ok Farve? lol hardly.. But ok for the sake of arguing and Manning.. A whole 3

Cunningham was great, no way around it really.. Saying that's amazing and then saying he wasn't great makes as much sense as saying he wasn't pure because he had almost 1000 yards rushing.. Also his O unit was horrible... Once he got to the Vikings he stayed in the pocket.

Mobile black QBs get shat on because they are mobile but Elway and Young get made props go figure...

The main character, the face, lead, almost always has to be white in every form of entertainment, be it movies, sports or videogames. The only reason most sports have half the black players they do is because they cannot be denied anymore. Winning = money and money can overcome any discimination/racism.

You have movies like 21 that are based on a true story, where the real guy was Asian, but the movie he's white.

You have games like Resident Evil where when they go to Africa there are two black sidekicks (still only sidekicks), the most black characters Capcom has ever had in a game at once outside of something like Street Fighter. Then in the Resident Evil 6 trailer, there isn't a black soul to be found.

How many blonde haired blue eyed characters are there in the Final Fantasy series compared to not and what happened to the only brotha in Soul Calibur out of a roster of like 30 from all around the world?

Seems like the move makers in sports and entertainment only care about diversity when they have no other choice.

$hawty

Banned
Link? Really? lol ok

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_players_in_American_professional_football

Brady..ok Farve? lol hardly.. But ok for the sake of arguing and Manning.. A whole 3

Cunningham was great, no way around it really.. Saying that's amazing and then saying he wasn't great makes as much sense as saying he wasn't pure because he had almost 1000 yards rushing.. Also his O unit was horrible... Once he got to the Vikings he stayed in the pocket.

Mobile black QBs get shat on because they are mobile but Elway and Young get made props go figure...

At the end of the day, it's up to the individual to decide who's great and who's not. I don't think great means having a couple good years and one very impressive year. It's a combination of consistency, stats, wins, memorable moments. Cunningham was definitely a stud, but he's not great to me. "Great" shouldn't be just thrown around there all willy nilly and shit. Same thing with McNabb. Solid QB, but not great. What did he do that was great? Lose when he should have won in super bowl?

And cmon bro....laughing at me because I said Favre was better than McNabb? Really tho?

And I'm not on that "pocket presence" pure QB shit. Facts are that if Vick was a consistent playoff contender and didn't throw all those picks, and didn't fumble the ball all the damn time, won more, was in the playoffs more in ATL, had more yardage, better completion %, only then can we start saying he's a great QB. He hasn't turned his style into a consistent winning formula in my eyes.

Vick's a great athlete, because he's probably athletically superior than most people that ever played the game. But he needs to do and win more to start throwing around Great QB.

Edit: AAHH fuck it. Cunningham was great. haha

Now I see you arguing and that's good I'mma let you finish. But Newton is going to be the best Black QB of all time. *Drops the mic gets back to work*

Why black people need to boycott nikki minaj

Whats everyones opinion on nikki? I can't stand her so any reason for people to stop playing her music is alright with me.

I am not a big fan of Minaj but this video is just a bid sad in terms of the weight he is putting on this. We all know what she is doing and "why" she is doing it. Even in the video he gets it "money over everything" but if you are going to call out a rapper for using terms that are have been used to disparage blacks in the past, you might as well open the gates up to more than Minaj.

The truth of the matter is this, she is doing it because it is what is popular and what sells. Very few conscious rappers (male or female) light up the charts. So in everyone's move to climb up the social ladder they are going to cater to the masses and find a spot where they can stay at comfortably.

Edit:....."Got my niggas in Paris and they going gorillas, huh".....

Imm0rt4l

I am not a big fan of Minaj but this video is just a bid sad in terms of the weight he is putting on this. We all know what she is doing and "why" she is doing it. Even in the video he gets it "money over everything" but if you are going to call out a rapper for using terms that are have been used to disparage blacks in the past, you might as well open the gates up to more than Minaj.

The truth of the matter is this, she is doing it because it is what is popular and what sells. Very few conscious rappers (male or female) light up the charts. So in everyone's move to climb up the social ladder they are going to cater to the masses and find a spot where they can stay at comfortably.

Edit:....."Got my niggas in Paris and they going gorillas, huh".....

This isn't really the same thing. Going balls out/crazy/cray isn't the same as calling someone a chimp.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

Whats everyones opinion on nikki? I can't stand her so any reason for people to stop playing her music is alright with me.

ive been ignoring the chick since nothing about her is appealing to me. she seems right at home with the loud children at young money, and people like her, so whatever to that. but a boycott seems a bit extreme considering what other rappers say and do on a continual basis, or the fact that the only way to truly be a popular rapper is to have some sort of thug sheet. so if whoever is planning on boycotting her is going through with it, they should probably be boycotting quite a bit more than just her.

but i will say this, why the hell is busta with young money?

Blackace

At the end of the day, it's up to the individual to decide who's great and who's not. I don't think great means having a couple good years and one very impressive year. It's a combination of consistency, stats, wins, memorable moments. Cunningham was definitely a stud, but he's not great to me. "Great" shouldn't be just thrown around there all willy nilly and shit. Same thing with McNabb. Solid QB, but not great. What did he do that was great? Lose when he should have won in super bowl?

And cmon bro....laughing at me because I said Favre was better than McNabb? Really tho?

And I'm not on that "pocket presence" pure QB shit. Facts are that if Vick was a consistent playoff contender and didn't throw all those picks, and didn't fumble the ball all the damn time, won more, was in the playoffs more in ATL, had more yardage, better completion %, only then can we start saying he's a great QB. He hasn't turned his style into a consistent winning formula in my eyes.

Vick's a great athlete, because he's probably athletically superior than most people that ever played the game. But he needs to do and win more to start throwing around Great QB.

Edit: AAHH fuck it. Cunningham was great. haha

Dan Marino and Warren Moon say hello..

As well as John Elway when he was good.. lol..

Blackace

Now I see you arguing and that's good I'mma let you finish. But Newton is going to be the best Black QB of all time. *Drops the mic gets back to work*

He has a chance to be...

But Cunningham will always be the the man

Do you go to MIT or Princeton? Do you dress "hood"? I can empathise with you, I am so bitter about my parents speaking to me in I English and I forgot Igbo which Kd my mother tongue. Same shit happened to my little brother, I begged and pleaded with my mum not to speak to him in English and he forgot Into like I did. Urhhhhhhhhhh. My cousins speak behind my back in front of me and I think about what I will pass down to my children.

Went to undergrad at MIT, and Princeton for my Masters. Do I dress hood? Hmm, well, when I go home and look at my old clothing, most were baggy. A lot of fubu, south pole and I remember getting new Nike's every school year but I think I grew out of that in college so now I kinda just dress normally. Usually just shirt and jeans, although I've been getting into buttondown shirts and stuff

Anyway, yeah I'm super pissed! My parents even told me when me (and my younger brother) were little we knew how to speak it cuz our grandma, who took care of us, didn't know much english so that's what she'd speak to us but now we don't know any of it.

I don't know if it's a big thing but even among the other Nigerian friends I know (1st gen Americans like me) none of them know igbo either. It's strange how that's the case. When you look at most asians and hispanics they know their native languages, at least to an extent, but I don't think that's the case for any of my friends whose parents are Nigerian who were born in the US. Like you my cousins know igbo. It's unfortunate.

because she's the first black person to say nappy headed hoes? My mom used to say that if I didn't brush my hair. What does this have to do with dark skin women or Imus?

edit: when I clicked on the link I figured it would be about satanism, thank god I was wrong

Bleepey

Went to undergrad at MIT, and Princeton for my Masters. Do I dress hood? Hmm, well, when I go home and look at my old clothing, most were baggy. A lot of fubu, south pole and I remember getting new Nike's every school year but I think I grew out of that in college so now I kinda just dress normally. Usually just shirt and jeans, although I've been getting into buttondown shirts and stuff

Anyway, yeah I'm super pissed! My parents even told me when me (and my younger brother) were little we knew how to speak it cuz our grandma, who took care of us, didn't know much english so that's what she'd speak to us but now we don't know any of it.

I don't know if it's a big thing but even among the other Nigerian friends I know (1st gen Americans like me) none of them know igbo either. It's strange how that's the case. When you look at most asians and hispanics they know their native languages, at least to an extent, but I don't think that's the case for any of my friends whose parents are Nigerian who were born in the US. Like you my cousins know igbo. It's unfortunate.

Exact same story for me down to the dressing differently lol. My grandma does not speak a word of English and my brother and I used to speak it fluently cos she raised us when we were young. I literally begged my mum actually pleaded with her not to speak to him in English and she ignored me and spouted some bullshit about how when she says "gowah nah sah efere"he knows that I want him to wash the plates and thus he will be just fine. If I want to ensure my kids know igbo I have to either learn it myself, marry an igbo speaker or get a tutor cos mum would speak to my kids in English. Urhhhhh .

Its the exact same story in the UK. I can count on one hand out of the many Nigerians I know that speak their mother tongue fluently, all of those who do came here later on in their life. I think its cos parents from these countries come from countries where English is the official language so they are more comfortable speaking English than say Asian or Hispanic parents so they speak to their kids in English more naturally. When in Africa they'd speak their mother tongue at home and the official language at work. That said I met a hot half German/ half Nigerian and half dutch/Nigerian guy, the girl spoke German cos she went to Germany as a teen but did not speak Into despite growing up in Nigeria. Shit fucking blew my mind. The guy spoke Igbo but not dutch cos his dad did not want it spoken in the house.

FreeMufasa

Exact same story for me down to the dressing differently lol. My grandma does not speak a word of English and my brother and I used to speak it fluently cos she raised us when we were young. I literally begged my mum actually pleaded with her not to speak to him in English and she ignored me and spouted some bullshit about how when she says "gowah nah sah efere"he knows that I want him to wash the plates and thus he will be just fine. If I want to ensure my kids know igbo I have to either learn it myself, marry an igbo speaker or get a tutor cos mum would speak to my kids in English. Urhhhhh .

Its the exact same story in the UK. I can count on one hand out of the many Nigerians I know that speak their mother tongue fluently, all of those who do came here later on in their life. I think its cos parents from these countries come from countries where English is the official language so they are more comfortable speaking English than say Asian or Hispanic parents so they speak to their kids in English more naturally. When in Africa they'd speak their mother tongue at home and the official language at work. That said I met a hot half German/ half Nigerian and half dutch/Nigerian guy, the girl spoke German cos she went to Germany as a teen but did not speak Into despite growing up in Nigeria. Shit fucking blew my mind. The guy spoke Igbo but not dutch cos his dad did not want it spoken in the house.

This is terrible. I've been thinking about it for the past few week and I have to say it scares me. I was lucky because my parents always spoke Somali and Italian at home and sent me to Arabic lessons from a really young age so I was able to pick up all 3. Then we'd always have meetings/events with other Somali families and it was all we spoke.

My parents speak terrible English. Actually, they can speak it fine, at work and with people but they have no confidence in it and avoid it when possible. I speak Somali with my parents and English to my bros and sister.

What scares me is if I have kids with someone English/British I'll be in the same situation as you guys are and my kids won't be bilingual. It's such an advantage and I just can't imagine speaking one language.

It's got to the point where i'm considering marrying a Somali woman from Somalia and then having the kid(s) shipped out here in a few years. Crazy talk but meh. My mum is starting to turn up the "Marriage! Grankids!" pressure these days.

This is terrible. I've been thinking about it for the past few week and I have to say it scares me. I was lucky because my parents always spoke Somali and Italian at home and sent me to Arabic lessons from a really young age so I was able to pick up all 3. Then we'd always have meetings/events with other Somali families and it was all we spoke.

My parents speak terrible English. Actually, they can speak it fine, at work and with people but they have no confidence in it and avoid it when possible. I speak Somali with my parents and English to my bros and sister.

What scares me is if I have kids with someone English/British I'll be in the same situation as you guys are and my kids won't be bilingual. It's such an advantage and I just can't imagine speaking one language.

It's got to the point where i'm considering marrying a Somali woman from Somalia and then having the kid(s) shipped out here in a few years. Crazy talk but meh. My mum is starting to turn up the "Marriage! Grankids!" pressure these days.

That sounds fun. How old were you when she started that talk?

FreeMufasa

That sounds fun. How old were you when she started that talk?

As soon as I finished uni and started work so 21. She was on my older brother for 2 years before and it was hillarious to watch. I just didn't see it happening to me even though I should've.

She's been saying she has 3 wives ready for me since I was around 13 :lol. I haven't told her I don't want to get married or have kids though. It'd break her heart.

i've been telling my mom that it's a marathon and not a sprint since .. yeah, basically since i hit 20 or so.

facebook makes it worse cause now every time one of her friends posts pics of their grandkids i know i'm gonna get hit up with messages about it or get it brought up in conversation.

what's funny is that my mom will be all "aww, I can't wait to see you give me some grandkids to take care of!"

Yet whenever she does have to babysit any of her existing grandkids, she's all "sheesh, I'm glad I don't have to be a parent anymore! I'm too old for this shit"

I'm fine with being an uncle, lol

justjohn

Yeah all my three siblings have kids now including my 24yr old sister.

me? i'm not even thinking about kids till my 40s. like the guy above me said, its fun being an uncle and i spoil them once in a while, but everytime i spend time with them even though i enjoy it, it just reaffirms my decision even more. i'm totally not ready, physically,emotionally and financially.

well, with me, it's different... i'm the oldest and my brother is 20 and sister is 12 so i've got all the pressure on my shoulders...

You can do it, just let it flow...

soul creator said:
what's funny is that my mom will be all "aww, I can't wait to see you give me some grandkids to take care of!"

Yet whenever she does have to babysit any of her existing grandkids, she's all "sheesh, I'm glad I don't have to be a parent anymore! I'm too old for this shit"

I'm fine with being an uncle, lol

That sounds about right, but it kinda brings up on of my worries. I don't want to be old as dirt raising kids so I think I'll be done having them by 35. Assuming I ever get started, of course.

Onemic

Understand, but can't speak. Igbo's going the way of the Dodo, most 1st generation Nigerians I know can't even understand it. Even in Nigeria, if you speak English without understanding igbo, you're sorta seen as an intellectual. It's fucked

Top Bottom