• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Blacklist - Mondays 10/9c on NBC

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
There's no way that they actually
killed Liz off.
This is
clearly a way to give Megan Boone some time off of for her own baby.

Yeah, I figured that's why they'd do this. She'd still be pregnant in real life when they were filming these episodes so they need to find a way to get her off the show while she's still got a big bump, and like you said, give her some maternity leave.

RE: The legitimacy of tonights twist:

You can always tell when a show is faking you out by the immediate press. If they've actually killed a main character, there are articles and interviews and comments from showrunners and probably the actor themselves.

When it's not legit, there's silence. Only speculation. Showrunners might field the question and answer it vaguely or with a "we'll see" type answer. If they're gone, there's no subjectivity. They tell you immediately.

You can see this in-action with last weeks Sleepy Hollow.

Yeaaaaaah you're right. Think we'll see her back for the season finale? It would be an opportunity for a "BIG SURPRISE" ... waiting until next season might be a little too much time.

Nope, I don't believe you Blacklist, you don't have the balls, and they left enough hints of a fake-out!

Yeah, I remember hearing the doctor in the ambulance say something like "I don't know what's causing this!" which would be a hint of some fake-death serum or whatever. The biggest hint, IMO.

This OT gonna go on forever

And it'll always be Mondays at 10.

Just seen the latest episode, was watching the
resuscitation of Liz
and thought there's no way that
she would die
. Was kind of glad to see the show try and take a twist - but then the more I thought about it
and the news about her being pregnant in real life
just made me think that
theres no way they would have killed off a major character

Next week will be interesting...

Geist-

I kept saying out loud I don't believe you it's a lie. I might legitimately stop watching The Blacklist.
It's funny you say that, because I will be
extremely disappointed if this is a fakeout.

To have the balls to do this, and have such an amazing performance by Spader to sell it, puts this show in the top tier of television. If it just ends up just being a "I was only pretending to be dead" trope, that goes from being a powerful moment in television to just another cliche.
I think it has possibility of being real since the main draw of the show has always been Spader, but considering it's network television it's more likely everyone else is right and it's a fakeout. But if it's real...fuck man, I would love this show forever.

Also that spinoff would make a lot more sense. If Tom Keen's wife is dead, he can move on to the new show.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
The only possible way that the events from the last episode would have been real, is
that it was the final season of the show and it was setting up the plot over the last remaining episodes for Reddington to just burn the world down and go apeshit on everybody. Everybody.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Watch how Tom and Liz end up being siblings, and Tom's spin-off is him raising their inbred kid.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
The Blacklist taps Banshee star as mysterious villain — Entertainment Weekly

EW said:
Banshee star Ulrich Thomsen has been tapped to play a mysterious villain being introduced in the final episodes of The Blacklist’s third season, EW has learned exclusively.

Thomsen, whose TV credits also include Fringe and Alias, will play Alexander Kirk, a charismatic, extremely reclusive, multi-national businessman who runs a global energy empire. He’s now using his power and resources to strike back against his longtime nemesis, Raymond Reddington (James Spader).

We’ll learn that Kirk and Red share a history fraught with lies and betrayal, with Kirk being connected to one of the most intimate, shocking secrets from Red’s past.

It's funny you say that, because I will be
extremely disappointed if this is a fakeout.

To have the balls to do this, and have such an amazing performance by Spader to sell it, puts this show in the top tier of television. If it just ends up just being a "I was only pretending to be dead" trope, that goes from being a powerful moment in television to just another cliche.
I think it has possibility of being real since the main draw of the show has always been Spader, but considering it's network television it's more likely everyone else is right and it's a fakeout. But if it's real...fuck man, I would love this show forever.

Also that spinoff would make a lot more sense. If Tom Keen's wife is dead, he can move on to the new show.

I disagree. I think it takes more balls to keep coming up with new storylines and continue to develop a character over multiple seasons. Sure you might lose money but what's the story telling reason for doing that? Keen still has so many plot threads that are completely unresolved. This isn't Charlie season 3 this is Jack season 3.

Geist-

I disagree. I think it takes more balls to keep coming up with new storylines and continue to develop a character over multiple seasons. Sure you might lose money but what's the story telling reason for doing that? Keen still has so many plot threads that are completely unresolved. This isn't Charlie season 3 this is Jack season 3.
It takes balls to maintain the status quo? Lol, alright.

Seriously though, I understand why people would be mad if it was true, Liz was a good character and many parts of the story revolves around her. However, most of this plot points were there via Reddington, so they could easily resolve those threads through Reddington's character development. And after this last episode, it sounds like they're doing just that.

Speaking of this last episode, this is just making me feel worse about the idea that it's a fake out. Having Red suffer like this, then announcing "Just kidding, she's not really dead!" just feels like bad writing. Unless it's all true, then glad we finally have more insight into why Red loved Liz so much.

labx

Banned
Guys hold me, liz is dead for real? Dude TV is going dark this days the Americans and now this. And don't even start with the bachelor, that show is a blood bath

Lotte Verbeek as
Katarina
was a seriously good casting choice. That was such a heartbreaking episode too.
I was wishing we'd see more Katarina, but it really does look like she's dead. However that certainly does make the question of who wanted Liz taken alive even more interesting.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I figured all of that was in Red's head, although I didn't even think he was at the beach house. I figured he was still having a bender in the Chinese restaurant. It was weird that he left his gun there.

Even though the episode showed Red hallucinate seeing Katarina kill herself, I'm not sure that confirms that the real Katarina killed herself. We just know that Red chose Liz over Katarina and that resulted in Katarina's death.

It takes balls to maintain the status quo? Lol, alright.

Seriously though, I understand why people would be mad if it was true, Liz was a good character and many parts of the story revolves around her. However, most of this plot points were there via Reddington, so they could easily resolve those threads through Reddington's character development. And after this last episode, it sounds like they're doing just that.

Speaking of this last episode, this is just making me feel worse about the idea that it's a fake out. Having Red suffer like this, then announcing "Just kidding, she's not really dead!" just feels like bad writing. Unless it's all true, then glad we finally have more insight into why Red loved Liz so much.

In today's environment killing big characters off is normal. 5 years ago I would give them credit but now it's just eye rollingly lazy. It doesn't further the story that's why it feels cheap.

maxcriden

Guys hold me, liz is dead for real? Dude TV is going dark this days the Americans and now this. And don't even start with the bachelor, that show is a blood bath

I truly don't believe she is. Read the other posts on this page, they do a good job explaining why. ☺

Hex

Banned

I don't think so.
In fact, I think this episode spelled out what happened.
I am trying to remember the exact dialogue but it was something about the only way to protect the child was to die but more to it.
But they "killed her" to get her space.
I think Mr Kaplan was in on it, and Reddington was not told.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Well that was an interesting reveal.

Yeah it was. Sets up the spinoff! LoL.

Red was barely in last night's episode. He had, like, three scenes. Oh well, we just had an episode that had him on screen 99% of the time, so I guess it all balances out.

The previews for the season finale next week showed Mr. Kaplan, who's been missing ever since she whisked Liz's body away. Soooo, we getting Liz back next week? =P

Loxley

Yeah it was. Sets up the spinoff! LoL.

Red was barely in last night's episode. He had, like, three scenes. Oh well, we just had an episode that had him on screen 99% of the time, so I guess it all balances out.

The previews for the season finale next week showed Mr. Kaplan, who's been missing ever since she whisked Liz's body away. Soooo, we getting Liz back next week? =P

Yeah, I'm still not convinced Liz is actually dead.

Liz is totally in the room Tom nearly walked into.

And I have to say, love Famke's character and pretty excited for the spin off with her and Tom. Could be great...

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
This show is fucking amazing

I've loved this season. Have such a man crush on Tom.

If the spinoff is even half as good, I'll be happy

Loxley

Oh man I had no idea they're actually going to do a spin-off. Neat.

The main draw for this whole show for me is Spader being Spader-as-hell, but they've done a great job expanding on Tom's character so I'll be curious to see how the spin-off goes.

maxcriden

I'm relieved, the spin-off S1 is only 8 eps.

I hear the eight-episode order for The Blacklist: Redemption came out of a very specific spot considered in the fall. The spinoff ended up being held for midseason, but the order remained the same, and I hear it fits with NBC’s current plans for

Much more here: http://deadline.com/2016/05/nbc-new...blacklist-redemption-marlon-taken-1201757218/

So maybe they'll keep Tom on the main series next season also...? (And maybe it can be a bridge show during a Blacklist hiatus.)

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
All caught up, excited for the season finale, but sad it's over.

Pleased the spin off wont go on for too long

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Looks like it hasn't been posted yet in this thread, but The Blacklist is returning to 10 p.m. starting in the fall: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...moves-to-wednesday-but-otherwise-few-changes/

It'll still be on Thursdays, though. Chicago Med will be its lead-in, and a pair of comedies (relatively big hit Superstore and new comedy The Good Place) will lead into Chicago Med.

Hopefully we can get back to episodes about crazy dudes who dissolve people and whatnot! 10:00 = grossout hour

IvanJ

Banned
So, we need to spoiler what happened. I'm confused, usually in other OTs about series that I frequent there is free discussion after the episode, as it is assumed that people watched and dropped by to comment.
Because I really cannot rant without spoiler tagging the whole rant.

But, without spoilers, fuck this show. I am glad I didn't manage to catch up and watch the three episodes prior to this finale, I saved myself some time.

Full rant (not a long one) when it becomes OK to discuss what happened.

BOOM THERE IT IS

Liz is alive, y'all! She's in Cuba, probably next door to Elvis.

Least surprising surprise I've seen in a long, LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time.

I haven't even seen the latest episode and I already knew exactly what your spoiler text was. I knew it since
she died and the old lady (forget her name, Mr. something) was super angry at Red (unusual for her character to get so much dialog so randomly) and then her suspicious looks when they were taking her body away

I'm going to give this show a few more episodes next season before dumping it completely. Ever since Liz went on the run, the show has pretty much sucked IMO (which, looking back, is the whole damn season, haha). Redington hasn't been used well at all, he's best when he's in control and doing stuff behind the scenes and telling awesome speeches and I feel like that hasn't been the case much at all this season. They need a better, more clear villain and Red needs to be working toward a larger plan again.

Top Bottom