• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Boy and the Heron (Hayao Miyazaki) - Official Teaser Trailer

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
The real "Miyazaki" and not that imposter who puts out the same product with a few things moved out. Just kidding #SoulsGAF.... or am I?!
dark-souls.gif

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy

Still so hard to believe that a new Miyazaki movie is coming this year. The feelings... it's too much ❤❤❤

This is the most anticipated movie for me, and i hope it hits Europe (UK says its October) soon. I absolutely adore Ghibli, having seen all but one of their films. They are such moving films.

This trailer, too, gives a glimpse of something much larger. A Ghibli movie isn't film. It is an experience.

Thaedolus

Hell yeah. Recently I’ve watched Kiki, Howl and Spirited Away with the kids and they love them. If this is five year old friendly we’ll be there

Paltheos

I've never seen a Miyazaki movie.

They're good, mostly. I've seen only... *checks* 7 of his movies and they've resonated to varying degrees. It's tough to hand out recommendations though because different people feel really strongly toward his different movies. I think Spirited Away is a safe pick that most people enjoy (plus it won an Oscar!). Probably Nausicaa and Princess Mononoke too. My personal favorite is Kiki's Delivery Service for how happy and playful most of the film is. Probably the one I've liked the least is Howl's Moving Castle (which I know some people would crucify me for).

Holy hell. I thought he'd be retired by now. Awesome.

He was supposed to have retired after his last film but I guess he was restless (actually he was supposed to have retired several times but I suspect he'll be drawing to his dying day).

Doom85

The real "Miyazaki" and not that imposter who puts out the same product with a few things moved out. Just kidding #SoulsGAF.... or am I?!

Considering Hayao Miyazaki feels the need to put an environmental message in half his films even if it’s clearly forced at times (as someone who actually read the original book Howl’s Moving Castle, the final act of the film was a major “how the fuck did we steer off course like this?!”), I guess it’s just the curse of any Miyazaki to fall back on reliable formulas.

50 cent laughing GIF

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
They're good, mostly. I've seen only... *checks* 7 of his movies and they've resonated to varying degrees. It's tough to hand out recommendations though because different people feel really strongly toward his different movies. I think Spirited Away is a safe pick that most people enjoy (plus it won an Oscar!). Probably Nausicaa and Princess Mononoke too. My personal favorite is Kiki's Delivery Service for how happy and playful most of the film is. Probably the one I've liked the least is Howl's Moving Castle (which I know some people would crucify me for).

If you havent seen Castle in the Sky I would highly recommend it. It was one of the last ones I hadnt seen and I finally watched it and it is awesome.

BlackTron

Princess Mononoke is one of my favorite movies of all time.

It was definitely my favorite movie when I first saw it over 20 years ago. I don't have the same fanboyish glee I used to, but at the same time, nothing else has ever really been able to take the mantle either. I have no replacement best movie, despite having worn it to death.

BTW a lot of his protagonists look the same. Not a complaint just observation. Looks like this stars Ashitaka again lol.

Hudo

I can't decide which film by Ghibli is my favorite. Princess Mononoke is just amazing, Castle in the Sky as well. I also quite liked The Wind Rises (although I am heavily biased since I have a thing for airplanes of that period).

Now that I think about it, I believe I haven't seen Nausicaa.

Toots

Gold Member
I can't decide which film by Ghibli is my favorite. Princess Mononoke is just amazing, Castle in the Sky as well. I also quite liked The Wind Rises (although I am heavily biased since I have a thing for airplanes of that period).

Now that I think about it, I believe I haven't seen Nausicaa.
You need to watch Nausicaa and then read the manga continuation he did. It is one of the few contemporary masterpieces, and i'm not even exaggerating.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I've never seen a Miyazaki movie.
My recommendations would be, in order from “demure Disney-like film for every age with some bittersweet elements” to “this may be a bit too Japanese for most but it’s awesome”:
- Kiki’s Delivery Service
- Castle in the Sky
- Porco Rosso
- Spirited Away

Differently from most, I was never crazy for Mononoke.
My Neighbor Totoro and Ponyo are also great for the whole family.

Thaedolus

Differently from most, I was never crazy for Mononoke.
Mononoke is such an odd one in comparison to the rest of his movies...kind of like Grave of the Fireflies as a Ghibli movie, though Miyazaki didn't direct that. It's definitely high on my list and one of the first (if not maybe the first?) DVDs I ever bought, but nothing I'll be showing the kids any time soon.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Joe Hisaishi makes it a Ghibli movie.
Oddly enough, one of my fave movies isn't actually on of the big names - its Only Yesterday.

Just let this be a late December release. It would be the perfect movie to end a year with.

Fools idol

Banned
Looks like it has a darker vibe more akin to Mononoke than his more lighthearted works. I'm in.

That music piece was haunting as fuck.

GymWolf

For a moment i readed the boy and the heroin and i thought it was a spin off of chapelle's tyrone biggum...

mortal

Gold Member
Ghibli is one of the few studios that manage to tastefully blend frame animation with 3D.
I much prefer their approach in making any use of 3D elements as seamless as possible.

Rran

I'm going to go against the grain here and claim My Neighbor Totoro is the best Ghibli. It plays best with parents and children though (and parents watching WITH children). But pretty much all the Miyazakis are strong, and many of the other Ghiblis can hang with the best of them, like Whisper of the Heart and Kaguya.

INC

Meanwhile Hollywood is releasing trash superhero movies and reboots, and striking demanding more money, for trash writing.

I really hope this comes a cinema near me.

Fools idol

Banned
This is the most important movie they have made in decades because it's the last one before they got acquired. No doubt it will be a turning point in quality in my mind.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Today I went to see it, I really liked it and the animation is beautiful.

There are very emotional moments, it was very worth it, I saw it in a VIP room.

I give it a 9.5 score.

Top Bottom