• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The brother of a top college basketball recruit ratted him out for accepting gifts

Piecake

Mohamed Bamba, the No. 2 basketball recruit in the class of 2017 and likely a future NBA lottery pick, announced via a Players Tribune essay last month that he planned on attending Texas for what probably will be his only college sea

But now Bamba’s path to Texas is being called into question by his very own half brother, of all people. Ibrahim Johnson, himself a former college basketball player, accused Bamba of accepting illicit money, trips and other benefits from an adviser, with the expectation that Bamba continue their relationship when he becomes a professional.

“Long story short, we let some guy into our family named Greer Love,” Johnson said in the profane, 22-minute-long poolside video he posted on Facebook. “This guy, Greer Love, he’s the vice president at Huron Capital Group, which is some financial group in Detroit. He’s a financial adviser, basically. He was Mo’s teacher back in the fourth grade or whatever, but long story short, now he’s Mo’s pimp. Mo’s his, basically.”

Johnson went on to assert that Love drove a wedge between him and his younger brother to the point where he reported Bamba to the NCAA over the gifts he received from the adviser, including vacations, money and other benefits. Johnson said he had planned on becoming a sports agent was upset that his brother had sided with Love instead of him.

“He’s not going to play this year in the NCAA because I already reported him to the NCAA and I’m already going to meet with the NCAA,” Johnson said in the video. “He’s not going to play this year. I’m not going to lie to you. I exposed that kid.”

Johnson’s claims perhaps have to be taken with a sizable amount of skepticism, considering his run-ins with the law and the questions he’s faced about his own role in his brother’s recruitment. He’s facing separate felony and misdemeanor charges in five states and “was long rumored to be a figure looking to exploit his five-star half-brother’s recruitment in the grass roots, college, and professional community,” 247 Sports’ Andrew Slater writes, adding that he was removed from Bamba’s recruitment process by his own family because they were worried about NCAA compliance issues.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...hpid=hp_hp-cards_hp-card-sports:homepage/card

Aint family great?

Maximus.

What a petty man. Crazy how some people don't care about those closest to them and will do stuff like this.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Johnson said he had planned on becoming a sports agent was upset that his brother had sided with Love instead of him.

I'm sure this has nothing at all to do with it.

College sports are a cesspool. How much ass do they kiss to get these people to come play a game on their campus?

There's (currently) no allegation of the school doing anything or benefiting from it. The agent is the one the claims are made against. NCAA players aren't allowed to have representation (on account of how they're only students and not employees and HEY STOP TRYING TO PROFIT OFF OF YOUR OWN WORK) so the gifts and trips allegedly would ensure Bamba stay on with the agency in the future when it would be profitable to have him as a client.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
But Texas needs him to play bball.

We suck at everything.

This half-brother is the worst.

The NCAA is a joke, these rules are a joke, and damn that's fucking cold to do that to your own blood.

He's better than you bruh. Jealousy is ugly.

But Texas needs him to play bball.

We suck at everything.

This half-brother is the worst.

Hey we have...

Uh...

Some plucky white walk ons?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
College sports are a cesspool. How much ass do they kiss to get these people to come play a game on their campus?

All indications right now are this is closer to a Reggie Bush situation than anything else. i.e. someone hoping to make future money off of him when he goes pro has been giving the family and him money now. But even then, that situation had Pete Carrol allowing registered agents all over the USC practice field.

Which makes him an eligability question for Texas, but not a recruiting violation for Texas.

At this point in time, especially for college bball players, this is the bigger risk because they are 12 months from a payday when they set foot on campus. It's not like college football where you don't know how (or if) you project to the NFL and it's 3 years of not being injured away.

Not to say there isn't cash changing hands, but basketball and baseball can get cash much quicker by going pro much quicker than NFL.

KodaRuss

Well looks like this didnt come from Texas? I hope I didnt read the story wrong but this sucks all around for my alma mater.

Dynomutt

Don't break the rules then.

Your talking about the NCAA! Here's where I tilt my head back and laugh.gif...He didn't do it to be righteous. He himself said it is because he felt got pushed out. He might act like he was on the moral high ground but had it been the other way around its cool? Nah, he's salty. It was foul. His bro will be fine can't say the same for him though. Probably warming the bench from the locker room.

Ibrahim Johnson, himself a former college basketball player, accused Bamba of accepting illicit money, trips and other benefits from an adviser, with the expectation that Bamba continue their relationship when he becomes a professional.
He didn't really think this one through did he?

I don't follow basketball but what exactly is unethical about what he did? What's the issue with someone he used to know giving him gifts?

Yeah I udnerstand that. I'm asking why though? Like I can understand if he was accepting gifts from a school or something, but this is someone he personally knew, right? What is the issue with that?

Getting a gift from someone he personally knew implies that he's obligated to return a favour to the person he knows. So instead of building a team fairly, you're already picking favourites just bc they treated you nicely.

jchap

Yeah I udnerstand that. I'm asking why though? Like I can understand if he was accepting gifts from a school or something, but this is someone he personally knew, right? What is the issue with that?

The sanctity of amateurism is irrevocably stained by such sordid behavior!

It's only unethical if you assume NCAA rules have anything to do with ethics.

That doesn't change the optics that you still accepted gifts and broke the rules.

It is, but from a personal standpoint, screwing over your own blood like that seems really rotten. And I'm not certain that this guy was motivated by ethical reasons.

It does, but to me this is a lose-lose situation. Obviously the guy was jealous af, but that doesn't change that the other person broke the rules.

Fat4all

Banned
Was it Vic?

latest

COO-COOOOO

Top Bottom