• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Business of Selling your location - NY Times - The Daily (VITAL READ/LISTEN)

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/10/podcasts/the-daily/location-tracking-apps-privacy.html

There isn't often news I feel like is vitally important for everyone to drop everything and read or listen to it.

This is one of those times when no matter what you are doing listening to this podcast is probably more important. This is a BOMBA. Everyone needs to be more aware of what we are all consenting to when downloading some apps.

The example they gave of a potential bad actor being able to learn the home address of someone like a Nuclear Power Plant employee and exploit that information however they might choose to. Really bone-chilling stuff.

I told my wife at the time and it's even truer now but that Television show that used to be on called "Person of Interest" was a documentary not a work of fiction.

Here is a link to the podcast. Like I said it is crucial to listen to. This industry must be regulated. This is one of the many problems that result from legislators that are in charge of Cybersecurity being 70-year-old men who barely remember how to log into facebook.
There isn't often news I feel like is vitally important for everyone to drop everything and read or listen to it.

This is one of those times when no matter what you are doing listening to this podcast is probably more important. This is a BOMBA. Everyone needs to be more aware of what we are all consenting to when downloading some apps.

The example they gave of a potential bad actor being able to learn the home address of someone like a Nuclear Power Plant employee and exploit that information however they might choose to. Really bone-chilling stuff.

I told my wife at the time and it's even truer now but that Television show that used to be on called "Person of Interest" was a documentary not a work of fiction.

Here is a link to the podcast. Like I said it is crucial to listen to. This industry must be regulated. This is one of the many problems that result from legislators that are in charge of Cybersecurity being 70-year-old men who barely remember how to log into facebook.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/10/podcasts/the-daily/location-tracking-apps-privacy.html

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Even though I don't use apps or Android because of both are notorious for gathering and selling your info, I have ALL location services turned off on my windows phones. If and when my windows phones crap out I will get an old school flip phone because I won't spend $1000+ on an iPhone and there is not enough money you could pay me to use an Android spy-phone.

Top Bottom