• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Canadian PS3 EBGames Preorder Thread

Stench

Banned
EB_Games_logo.png
canada.gif

Just to make things easier for us Northern folk, I figured that we might as well have our own separate thread so we know what the hell's gonna be going down.

Answers from store clerks/managers are ranging from "No preorders at all, ever" to "Call back later today"... *apparently* there's a conference call occuring later on, but it's not 100% confirmed, so we'll see what happens.

I'll try to get ahold of all the local stores near the end of the day, just in case they need some time to get everything straightened out, but if you guys get any new info at all, please be sure to post it in here - I'm sure we'll all appreciate it very, very much.

And CALL CALL CALL!!!

Deku

Banned
I've given up on getting a pre-order in Canada. I'll see if someone can get one in Washington State otherwise, I'll try again in 2007.

rs7k

I'll start

Barrie, ON - No preorders ever, wouldn't surprise me since it's a really small outlet and the employees are probably gonna grab what there is.

I'm calling more stores in the area and will post about them

I just called the one in Collingwood, they say there is something coming soon in regards to PS3 preorders, and to check back in a few days.

I'm calling a couple of EBs in Regina, SK later tonight after work, and maybe tomorrow too. I have a friend who works at one of them, so he said he'd help me out with info.

Kittonwy

Banned
Scarborough Town Center EB is NOT taking pre-orders, I just went down half-an-hour ago to confirm it.

PS: I used American spelling for center.

gladtomeetya.gif

Stench

Banned
I called 6 yesterday, and only one of them outright told me they weren't taking any preorders, at all, ever. I really hope these guys are just simply misinformed/apathetic.

Stench said:
I called 6 yesterday, and only one of them outright told me they weren't taking any preorders, at all, ever. I really hope these guys are just simply misinformed/apathetic.

It's retarded that Canada is so lazy with this kind of stuff. Canadian EBs never get any sort of incentives for pre-orders, if they even do them at all. Apparantly nobody plays video games north of the U.S. border. :mad:

Vancouver, BC
Talked to a bunch of stores yesterday...almost all said they were never going to take preorders. 1 store said to call back today around 5pst....I think there is a mgr conference call this afternoon.

LOL... just talked to the Richmond Centre store the guy said that the phone has not stopped ringing all morning ....they opened 10min ago =) and that it's only in the states right now!!!

EGM92

Brampton, ON - Shoppers World Mall - first come first served bases, people within the store/mall will get theirs before general public. !! Update !! Girlfriend just got back to me, there will be 11 units in stock all Premium versions of the console, retail price $659.99, REALLY pushing hard the extended warrenties and at least 1 game.

Mississauga, ON - Heartland Town Centre - No preorders, no camping on private property.

Brampton, ON - Bramalea City Centre - No preorders.

I'll check at SQ1 in Mississauga on my way home from work.

Deku

Banned
disappeared said:
It's retarded that Canada is so lazy with this kind of stuff. Canadian EBs never get any sort of incentives for pre-orders, if they even do them at all. Apparantly nobody plays video games north of the U.S. border. :mad:

Canada is treated has always been treated as an appendage to the US market, and with the new Quebec legislation over bilingual game manuals, its only raised the cost of doing business here. Although the legislation applies only to Quebec, many publishers simply treat the entire market as one and repackage US released games with a french manual to English speaking provinces.

I've noticed that this has meant to a lot of games getting shipped late too.

rs7k

phez said:
hey guys, what games are you going to pick up alongside the PS3?

(lol)

LOL indeed. My plan the whole time was to put it on eBay, and buy a car/360 games with the extra money.

Oneself

I can confirm there's a conference call later this afternoon. It will probably be about those pre-orders. I vote for Tomorrow PS3 and Friday Wii.

I think that Canada as a whole is not going to get many PS3's. We have 10% of the population so we will probably only get 10%(or less) of the shipment....that leaves 40,000 PS3's for the entire country...devide that by all the bestbuys, futureshops and walmarts etc... and Its going to be pretty had for eb to do pre-orders for there 1 or 2 consoles per store!

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Posted this is the other thread, but the EB that I called here in BC said "Try when it's closer to November.".

the best we can do is just to get as much info as we can and chose the store with the most shipments at open.

I live in the burbs of Montreal and i intedend to research the Best Buys, Future Shops. EBs and Wal-Marts of the South Shore and gauge wich one of them will I have a better shot at getting a PS3 on Open.

I`m not going to pre-order a PS3 and find out that I will have to wait for the 2nd shipment or 3rd shipment. That`s just non-sensical

djkimothy

lethial said:
Posted this is the other thread, but the EB that I called here in BC said "Try when it's closer to November.".

LOL, that was the best! :lol

I guess I'll just have to hope that everyone frogets to shop at Zellers and get one there. THat's how I got my DS Lite. :D

lethial

Reeeeeeee
djkimothy said:

I guess I'll just have to hope that everyone frogets to shop at Zellers and get one there. THat's how I got my DS Lite. :D

Probably what I'm going to end up doing, pre-purchased the Wii there so why not the PS3. I think going to EB in Canada for a ps3 is going to be a tricky process.

EB Games Calgary Chinook - No Information yet but expect info soon as we are like under 40 days from the launch of both systems.

EB Games Calgary Southcentre - No Info yet but expected soon.

So basically nobody knows anything yet.

jet1911

I'll probably try to buy one at Wal-Mart. 10% rebate FTW! :D There's no way I'm getting close to a EBGames on PS3 launch day.

djkimothy said:

You should also check your local Rogers Video...they are taking pre orders..I dont think a lot of people know this.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
HARRYTASKER said:
You should also check your local Rogers Video...they are taking pre orders..I dont think a lot of people know this.

I think Rogers was taking pre-orders online. Which naturally, sold out very quickly.

djkimothy

HARRYTASKER said:

I saw it being advertised in the video store (the PS3). But only quickly glanced at it and didn't know they were taking pre-orders.

Still though, me getting a PS3 is more dependent on me getting a job before the holiday's then the availability. :(

I went to one EBgames in Montreal-North, they didn't know shit, they know it's happenin in the US, but they know nothin yet about pre-orders in canada.

Also Microplay ain't takin pre-orders right?

dankir

I went to the EB in downtown Montreal this morning at like 9:45 their were about 4 guys in front of me and the jerks at EB said "we're not the same as the US ebgames so no preorders yet"

But I preordered a PS3 from Toys R Us back in June im 10th on the list and they are getting 26!

So I'll have at least one think on launch. I'm gonna camp at Best Buy to get some to sell on Ebay hopefully.

OverHeat

« generous god »
dankir said:
I went to the EB in downtown Montreal this morning at like 9:45 their were about 4 guys in front of me and the jerks at EB said "we're not the same as the US ebgames so no preorders yet"

But I preordered a PS3 from Toys R Us back in June im 10th on the list and they are getting 26!

So I'll have at least one think on launch. I'm gonna camp at Best Buy to get some to sell on Ebay hopefully.

I hate scalper......

dankir

Hey im camping out too, I ain't scalping anything. Hopefully I'll get extra ones and put them on Ebay no reserve auctions and let the demand determine the price. I had about 4 Xbox 360 premiums at launch, I kept one and the other 3 put about 1900 bucks in my pocket.

I'm sure the PS3 will sell for more, gotta hustle man :)

LakeEarth

BradVanDam said:
$549 for the 20 gb model and $659 for the 60 gb model
$750 after tax? Holy.

EDIT - I know a million things have been said about the price, but that really put things into perspective.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Yup, despite what's gong on in the states today, it's pretty much "stay tuned" here in Canada.

The guy at EB said they might have a little preorder if you check back later... but maybe not... and who knows?

Cross your fingers.... or consider it a Wii Christmas.

lethial said:
I think Rogers was taking pre-orders online. Which naturally, sold out very quickly.
They are taking in store pre orders as well. I pre ordered 2 consoles a few weeks back. The store manager seemed convinced they were getting them and said if the launch was like the 360's (which of course there's no real guarentee of it being) they would have them for launch.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Pseudo judo said:
They are taking in store pre orders as well. I pre ordered 2 consoles a few weeks back. The store manager seemed convinced they were getting them and said if the launch was like the 360's (which of course there's no real guarentee of it being) they would have them for launch.

Mind saying where in Canada?

djkimothy

Pseudo judo said:
Ottawa. More specifically, an ever growing peice of suburbia known as Barrhaven.

Shit really?

Maybe I should pre-order one at Kanata then. Oh damn it! Worse time to be unemployed!

artist

Banned
LakeEarth said:
$750 after tax? Holy.

EDIT - I know a million things have been said about the price, but that really put things into perspective.
I have one preordered. :)

And no Rogers is NOT taking preorders instore.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
EBGames - manager says no idea
EBGames - District Manager also has no idea
EBGames St Catharines - old manager 'hopes to hell they arent this week'

I'll keep everyone posted.

djkimothy said:
Shit really?

Maybe I should pre-order one at Kanata then. Oh damn it! Worse time to be unemployed!
You all got me worried so I'm on the phone with the Rogers to find out if it'll all hold up.

EDIT:There's a new manager at this particular Rogers and she knows nothing, nothing at all. If, when, how many consoles - ahe just doesn't know. The guy I talkded to asssumed that the person who took the pre-order was the assistant manager and he won't be in until tomorrow morning so the next chapter in this rather bland saga will have to wait until then.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
I'm #5 at toys r us (preordered back in february :p ) but I want to get one at EB for ebaying purposes; need to fund a new 60" HDTV for the other ps3.

neptunes

I really like the EBGames at Square One, it looks really nice, matter of fact, the whole mall looks really nice,

edit: isn't there 2 ebgames in square one?

Top Bottom