• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Canadian PS3 EBGames Preorder Thread

-Rogue5-

Kabuki Waq said:
the thing is even if you are the 8th person it still does not gurantee you s system at launch EB still has no idea how many consoles they are getting....and once you put in the $200 deposit you cant get cash back ...ONLY instore credit.

They told me it wouldn't be a problem to get cash back -- I know because I asked twice, and both times did a reconfirmation by immediately following up with a, "cash back, right?" (so in total I actually asked 4 times.)

I tried to come up with an estimation as to how many units they're getting and it seems more than plausible that all eb pre-orders could be fulfilled (of course I'm pessimistic, and know EB has screwed over people in the past, but it's still nice to have a little hope.)

For example; say there are 1000 eb stores across Canada (there aren't - it's more likely 500, but let's make a generous estimation) and each store had 8 pre-orders (even though a lot only had 5). That means, come launch day, they'd need 8000 units to fulfill the pre-orders. Assuming the 10 to 1 rules holds, Canada will most likely be getting 30,000 to 40,000 units of the 400k for North America. So the question is, do you think EB will get 20%-25% of the launch units (as 8k/30k is 26% and 8k/40k is 20%) ?

And again, that's being really generous; I know for a fact that not all stores took 8 pre-orders. And, considering there are only 3600 stores across the US, I'd be surprised if EB Canada has more than 500 stores (which would effectively half the percentage of launch units required to fulfill pre-orders compared to the 1000 number I used above). They were intentionally trying to lowball allocation because they didn't want to have a repeat of the 360 launch.

That said, they have warned everyone that it's not even close to being a guarentee and, while Sony intends to have 400k, they could end up actually only shipping 150k or something ridiculous. So, yeah, theoretically it looks good, but there is still a large probability that people WON'T get it launch day.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
rs7k said:
Look on the Futureshop page within the next two weeks.

Anyhow, my whole plan from the beginning was to put it on eBay, but does anyone else in the same boat really actually want it now that it's preordered?

I've been debating.. I want it, but i also know that Sony products are really sketchy at launch... so it's likely still goin to Ebay

d

aechris

Sniper said:
Did anyone get a preorder in Ottawa?

I have a Wii preordered at the Toys R' Us at St. Laurent. I asked the guy at the desk and he said they had like 40 PS3 preorders down and that was a month and a bit ago.

srst

A bit off topic...

My bro who works at Best Buy (Toronto) told me today they're getting around 10 units each store. The first batch of people will get a ticket and have the entire day to pick it up. No pre-orders and not for sale to employees. :(

lethial

Reeeeeeee
srst said:
A bit off topic...

My bro who works at Best Buy (Toronto) told me today they're getting around 10 units each store. The first batch of people will get a ticket and have the entire day to pick it up. No pre-orders and not for sale to employees. :(

Any idea when they're going to start doing this?

srst said:
A bit off topic...

That seems fair enough to me. It should be a first-come, first-serve sale anyways. Just got to make sure you are camping out there the night before.

Well, I am happy, I managed to get my pre-order at EB this morning, I at this point nhave been up for over 33 hours, and am tired at hell. I called EB yesterday in around the afternoon, and asked if anyone was linhed up yet, I was told no, called a couple hours later, about 2:30, again no one, called at 5:30, a guy had lined up at 3:00, but was the only one. realizing that was my que, I headed down and got there just before 6:00. 2 more people showed up shortly after 6:00, and it just grew from there. Manager came back around 10:00, and told us that only the first 7 people in line would be able to get a PS3. I was also annoyed to find out, I couldnt pre-order a Wii as well. It was one or the other. Thye opend the store an hour early, at 9:00am. I put down my order after 15 hours in line. Than I had to head to work for 6 hours.

All in all it was a good experience, myself, and the #1 and #3 in line talked most of the time, so it was cool.

I put down money of my soon to be 60 gig PS3, Resistance, and Oblivion, though I dont know if I'll get Oblivion again.

srst

lethial said:
Any idea when they're going to start doing this?

I didn't get the release date from Best Buy, but it should be on the 17th - the official PS3 release date. And for the tickets, I'm not sure if all the stores are doing this.

EDIT: Correction, my brother's store isn't open for preorders - and he isn't sure if the rest will be the same. :|

srst said:
A bit off topic...

10 units is way too low.

hell for the 360 launch, most stores had over 36 consoles.

Stench

Banned
Yeah, so uhhh... there's some bad news...

http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=39310

Okay...I'm typing this from outside the EB Games (The mall has wi-fi internet). I just finished talking to my friend and he said the regional manager for this area has passed by earlier this morning and infact told hom that the number of PS3s he would be recieving would be CUT IN HALF! I'm talking instead of 8 60GB he is only getting 4. I called my store were I got my pre order and they told me the same thing. I asked the guy if they were planning to call, and he said that they were planning to call on Friday to deliver the bad news (WTF?!)

So there is is kids...start calling your local EB Games and ask then what numbers they are expecting.
And another important detail:

Okay....so he said that there will be no type of a "Lotto" system for the launch. If you were 1-4 then you will get the system this Friday. Anything after that will have to wait till the next batch of systems to come in.

They are following the original list...
Holy shit.

Stench

Banned
wax-glue.jpg

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Well, the EB that was getting 5 60gb are now getting three 60 and one 20....

dunno if this is a standard or not.

d

rs7k said:
I hope I'm good to go. I was #4 out of 7 (all 60gb).

It looks like every store is treated differently. The "half" rule doesn't really seem to be holding. If the store I go to gets a big shipment cut...well, I think day 1, downtown vancouver will probably have, across all stores that sell PS3, what, ten PS3s? Maybe? And this is with two public bus-stop ads. :lol

What makes it even funnier is the games already on the shelf. All sorts of shelf space dedicated to stacks of empty promo system boxes and games that might not sell to a customer until next year. :lol

stewy

Yep, screwed here too.

I was #3 out of four available pre-orders. Was told today they're getting 2 premiums and one 20gig.

I took the 20gig. Hopefully swapping in a bigger hard drive won't be an issue down the road. I can live without the wifi and memcard readers.

****ing Sony.

rs7k

In this thread, we will mention if we managed to get our pre-orders. I never got a call from EB, and when I did call them, they said there shouldn't be any problem for the launch, and that they hadn't heard anything about shipment cuts from head office.

I'm #4 out of 7. Will report back. later.

Strangely enough EB called last night to recant. Success in grabbing a 60GB system this morning. Had to laugh at the EB though, behind the glass doors in the mall they set up a 60GB model with every launch title on the floor, directly below a sign saying "sold out."

Top Bottom