• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The case for and against Greatest Hits titles with added content

Matlock

Banned
Seeing as how the bitching about added content GH games has started*, I was wondering what exactly the problem or advantages GAF sees in them.

The Good:

You get a BETTER GAME for less money!

The Bad:

Early adopters get fucked, like in every other medium.

Conclusion:

It's great!

But seriously, how can anyone dislike added content in a discounted game? It's not like they forced you to buy the game in the first place, nor are they forcing you to buy the discounted version with added content...

*When games other than the sacred cows of VF4, MGS3, and DMC3 joined the trend

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
How many enhanced GH games are there?

There's Silent Hill 2 GH, Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution, now DMC3 SE and MGS3 Subsistence...anything else?

Matlock said:
Conclusion:

It's great!

I agree, I don't see the problem. Although I think this particular issue will essentially disappear in the next gen because of the growth of downloadable additions instead of reprints with extras.

the bad:
B000050AEE.03._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

they look like that *shrugs*

ghibli99

Matlock said:
Seeing as how the bitching about added content GH games has started*, I was wondering what exactly the problem or advantages GAF sees in them.

The Good:

The Bad:

Conclusion:

It's great!

But seriously, how can anyone dislike added content in a discounted game? It's not like they forced you to buy the game in the first place, nor are they forcing you to buy the discounted version with added content...

*When games other than the sacred cows of MGS3 and DMC3 joined the trend
I remember Silent Hill 2 being one of the first to do this several years ago... I thought it was cool, but I did feel a little burned that I'd spent $40-50 on it already, and it was going to cost more to see the extra stuff.

I guess it's not as bad as DVDs, where some people have purchased movies like T2 about 3 times in a single generation, and they get more expensive, instead of cheaper.

The Bad:Early adopters get fucked, like in every other medium.
yeah, they get fucked by getting to play the game for 6 months to a year before the Greatest Hits package comes out. If you can't live without the definitive version of X game, sell your copy to recoup 10 or so bucks and buy the Greatest Hits version used.
Himuro said:
but personally I'd like to have all SH games for one system: ps.
Makes a nicer looking row of games on your shelf?

MoxManiac

It's because of the fact that you have no choice but to have the red/green/yellow stripe of shame to get the extra content.

Though it isn't an issue for me anymore now that I store my games in albums instead of their cases.

MoxManiac said:
It's because of the fact that you have no choice but to have the red/green/yellow stripe of shame to get the extra content.

Though it isn't an issue for me anymore now that I store my games in albums instead of their cases.

The better question though is why does the stripe matter to people so much. I mean, I don't particularly like it, but damn if it's going to stop me from getting a game. I buy it to play it, not so the spine looks marginally better on the shelf. I would consider myself a collector, but I collect games to play them, not to stare at the box.

stewy

GitarooMan said:
The better question though is why does the stripe matter to people so much. I mean, I don't particularly like it, but damn if it's going to stop me from getting a game. I buy it to play it, not so the spine looks marginally better on the shelf. I would consider myself a collector, but I collect games to play them, not to stare at the box.

Seconded.

Too many people worried about ruining their game case museum or some shit.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
It depends on the situation.

I'm all for the developers going back and adding something, either because they wanted to, or fan feedback (lol).

I'm totally againt content being withheld for something in the future.

I'm also 100% against "Special Editions" that release the same time as the regular edition, and have more game content. Trust me, I'm a sucker for a pretty box, but it pisses me off to no end when actual game content is removed from a game for such a thing.

Conclusion: Nobody's forcing you to buy them. If people like the game enough and deem the extra content worthy, they'll buy it, or at the least find a way to play the extra stuff. If not life goes on.

Ristamar

The only way I'd be remotely pissed is if developers intentionally held back 100% completed content just for the sake of releasing it later in a GH/PC/PH title.... sort of the same beef certain people have with "Special Edition" launch releases that have "extra" content.

Tain

I'm all for it.

There's Silent Hill 2 GH, Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution, now DMC3 SE and MGS3 Subsistence...anything else?

Ico, if you wanna get technical and international.

Diablos

Matlock said:

The Good:

The Bad:

Conclusion:

It's great!

*When games other than the sacred cows of VF4, MGS3, and DMC3 joined the trend
eBay, fool. The instant you hear about a SE, sell your game for half the price, hope someone buys it, and now you only have to pay like $5-10 for the SE.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Ah...on Xbox, you can get Monkey Ball Deluxe and Sonic Mega Collection in one Platinum hits case. There is also a Ghost Recon/Splinter Cell/Rainbow 6 three in one Platinum Hits version as well.

This discussion reminds me a bit of the argument I see used most often by Drinky Crow and Amir0x about how great it is to buy hardware at a loss, because they like bleeding corporations. Good for the end user, potentially bad for the supplier, which could then lead to bad for the end user.

In the case of added content on these games, (and this is something I said years ago with I believe the Silent Hill 2 or 3 rerelease) I'd be a bit worried that this would just lower sales of the initial game, as people are expecting to get more for less later. Already a lot of people wait for the game to go cheap or get discounted upon bombing, but this will only get worse if they feel that by buying early they're getting an incomplete product. Of course, if this then makes the product less successful, it just might not become a Greatest Hits (or equivalent) at all.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
JoshuaJSlone said:
This discussion reminds me a bit of the argument I see used most often by Drinky Crow and Amir0x about how great it is to buy hardware at a loss, because they like bleeding corporations. Good for the end user, potentially bad for the supplier, which could then lead to bad for the end user.

In the case of added content on these games, (and this is something I said years ago with I believe the Silent Hill 2 or 3 rerelease) I'd be a bit worried that this would just lower sales of the initial game, as people are expecting to get more for less later. Already a lot of people wait for the game to go cheap or get discounted upon bombing, but this will only get worse if they feel that by buying early they're getting an incomplete product. Of course, if this then makes the product less successful, it just might not become a Greatest Hits (or equivalent) at all.

GH with extended content are such a rarity that I don't see that bolded section as a valid reason... i.e. I don't see a majority of folks waiting for a title to go GH with additional content before getting it... folks who are waiting for GH status are just waiting period.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'm fine with special edition rereleases, but the added content to GH releases kills me, because, like Wario64, I refuse to buy games with the Red Stripe of Shame. Call it a complex, I dunno, but I just can't do it.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
The amount of complaining is directly proportional to the amount/type of extra content. Like if they add extra levels to the main game or something, then it's annoying, but for an extra costume or some shit, I don't care.

As a cheap-ass gamer (glares at Wario), I can settle with GH packaging. But, since I've moved and had all my game cases boxed up while my game discs are in 200 ct. CD folders, the red stripe of shame seems especially irrevelvant.

Link

The Autumn Wind
It's not really an issue. Any game I would have wanted as a GH title, I've probably owned it since it originally came out months ago. There's never been a GH game with enough extra content to really push me to buy it. Thankfully, the ones that have weren't GH marked (Substance, Subsistence, DMC3 SE).

Should I not be considered a real gamer because I've already bought most of my games day one?

123rl

GH releases/budget releases are great. Of course I wouldn't know about that since I live in Europe and get fucked about with anything like this. If we're lucky enough to get re-releases then they're sold as full price games anyway

Virtua Fighter 4: Evo

GH release in America; full price release in Europe and missing 10th Anniversary (I managed to get that separately though :D)

We Love Katamari

Budget in America...full price in Europe and about six months late. Plus the original didn't even come out over here

DMC3: SE

NOT COMING OUT IN EUROPE! :( (yes I know, I keep moaning about this...it's pissed me off so much though)

Pimpbaa

Link said:
Should I not be considered a real gamer because I've already bought most of my games day one?

A real gamer cares about the games themselves, not whats on the box (especially in the case of enchanced special editions being released as greatest hits) or what brand console the game is played on.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Pimpbaa said:
A real gamer cares about the games themselves
Agreed, which is why I always buy the games I'm interested in first thing, and never wait for a GH version to begin with.

or what brand console the game is played on.
When was this mentioned?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Oh, well, I'm guilty of that sort of thing. I do like having one series all on one console if it can be helped. Then again, I'm pretty much borderline OCD, so yeah.

That said, I wouldn't refuse to buy a game because it's on one console and not another.

EDIT - What Himuro said.

Reilly

I don't see why Capcom couldn't have just released the special edition with normal packaging.

As for the extra content, I'd rather have my shelf look nice than have a bunch of annoying red bars eveywhere. That's how much I hate GH titles.

qirex

I will buy almost any game for $20 as long as I know it's not horrible. Since I keep all my games in a Case Logic I don't care about the red stripe either. For $50 games I feel like I have to do work and research if it's really going to be worth it or not. Plus at least on the PS2 there's boatloads of cheap games.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Reilly said:
I don't see why Capcom couldn't have just released the special edition with normal packaging.

As for the extra content, I'd rather have my shelf look nice than have a bunch of annoying red bars eveywhere. That's how much I hate GH titles.

Pimpbaa said:
A real gamer cares about the games themselves, not whats on the box (especially in the case of enchanced special editions being released as greatest hits) or what brand console the game is played on.

Ruh roh.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Reilly said:

T-Mobile_Poser-Mobile_Bowling_30sec_SS.jpg

demi

Extra content is fluff

They both have the same game

Big deal

I mean

A real gamer doesn't care right

Since it's the same game

Buh buh buh

So you could like, get off my dick

Or get the special edition that has you as my third nut

Either way, you're still on my dick

So get off

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Link said:
like Wario64, I refuse to buy games with the Red Stripe of Shame.

Weirdos!

Link said:
Any game I would have wanted as a GH title, I've probably owned it since it originally came out months ago.

But that makes sense!

I buy most of my games day 1 to but I got 3 GH's and the red line of doom don't bug me! And for games that I may have passed on and wanna get years later and its GH only then who cares I'd buy it. o_O

But the point here is extra content soooo I think its been proven 3 times now that your a sucker for buying any MGS game day 1. Of course if no one buys them then a extra content version can't happen! So I say fine with minor tweaks/glitch fixes for GH's but nothing super major added~

Pimpbaa said:
A real gamer cares about the games themselves, not whats on the box

What if we care about both? I want the game to be fun when I'm playing it, and I want it to be attractive on my shelf when I'm not.

demi

demi said:
Extra content is fluff

They both have the same game

Big deal

I mean

A real gamer doesn't care right

Since it's the same game

Buh buh buh

So you could like, get off my dick

Or get the special edition that has you as my third nut

Either way, you're still on my dick