• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The case for and against Greatest Hits titles with added content

also had a 2nd disc of TM:B ONLINE for a limited time at limited retailers (Best Buy, I think)

ps2twistedmetalblackonline7gn.jpg

BTW, I've since gotten over my anal retentiveness towards GH/PH/PC releases with the disclaimer that it must contain special content to sweeten the deal.

edit: because of damn sites and their image leech detection

demi

I was like that for Pacman World 2 / Vs., but then I realised both games suck and it wasn't worth keeping.

Add Midnight Club 3: DUB to the list:

Rockstar's Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition is about to get a little more irie. The company today announced that its racer will be repackaged with new content in a special Remix edition, and it will pull into stores this March. The game's sticker price is also getting an overhaul. The game's price will go down to $19.99 as it enters the PlayStation 2's Greatest Hits and Xbox's Platinum Hits programs.

The new spin on the street racer adds to the 50-plus cars and three cities of the original. Remix features 24 new vehicles and one new city, Tokyo. Drivers will also be able to bob their heads to some new music and rumble on some new battle maps.

from Gamespot

Link

The Autumn Wind
Lindsay said:
But the point here is extra content soooo I think its been proven 3 times now that your a sucker for buying any MGS game day 1.
MGS is one series that I don't mind double dipping with. The extra content is worth it to me, but I'm certainly not waiting 1+ year to play the games.

Thankfully, the special editions don't have the Red Stripe, so a winner is me.

demi

Link said:
Thankfully, the special editions don't have the Red Stripe, so a winner is me.

See, now what's so hard about that? You don't butcher it with the red stripe, you get a sale from me. Simple as that.

CamHostage

It can be frustrating, but then again, the double-dip isn't much more than the cost of an expansion pack, so you could look at it that way.

Tarazet

Get back to me when it impacts a game I actually care about. If the Player's Choice version of Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga has extra content, I will buy it even though I already have a complete copy (hard to come by these days).

cvxfreak

The first GH version to offer a considerably different or improved experience, I can remember, is RE: Director's Cut, which offered Dual Shock compatibility and a new music soundtrack.

Mr_Furious said:
I think that might've been the spark that ignited this thread ;)

Ah, I didn't see it mentioned. Either way, it's really a blessing and a curse. They're trying to offer more incentive to try out their games at a budget price and at the same time sucker those who bought it prior to double dip. I bought DMC @ launch, so I'm a little pissed at the rerelease, but I held out on Midnight Club, so that's a bonus should I decide to pick it up.

I would only consider MGS3:S a partial GH w/extras. The addition of online alone could warrant a release itself, but the main game upgraded with a shit-ton of extras just serves to sweeten the pot.

sonarrat said:
If the Player's Choice version of Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga has extra content, I will buy it even though I already have a complete copy (hard to come by these days).

A "mint" copy sold for $17 earlier today on eBay.

It sucks to have to squander extra money for a game you already paid $50 for. Then later sold for $20 with more extras.

Extras or no, and like those special editions, the value is kind of lost.

When you pay for the game, you should get it all. End of story.

Has anyone ever considered selling off their old copy to go towards the "upgraded" version? I'm sure most of you can get at least 10 bucks (or more) on whatever game to go towards buying it again.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Mr_Furious said:
Has anyone ever considered selling off their old copy to go towards the "upgraded" version? I'm sure most of you can get at least 10 bucks (or more) on whatever game to go towards buying it again.
Maybe before an upgrade is announced, sure. But once a special edition is announced, the value drops like a rock. MGS3 will net you $4 in trade-in value, for example.

Link said:
Maybe before an upgrade is announced, sure. But once a special edition is announced, the value drops like a rock. MGS3 will net you $4 in trade-in value, for example.
But that's if you go to stores like EB or GS who, guess what, always rip you off anyways. I'm sure if you posted the game for sale used, mint and complete for $10 (plus shipping) on the internet, some anal gamer (like demi) would buy it from you no prob. Don't ever use EB or GS's trade-in value as a gauge of a game's worth.

Link said:
Not always...last week DMC3 was going for 10-15 bucks + shipping on ebay. I sold mine and picked up the SE for next to nothing.

I can see why some people would hate the GH boxes, but I'm more interested in content.

bengraven

Link said:

I was going to sell it off tomorrow, but it looks as if it's not even worth it. They'd probably charge me 2 dollars to clean it up anyway.

Link said:
This is what I get for never selling my games.

Eh, I just give them away. They're worth more to friends that appreciate free games they're at least interested in than the $3 to $5 I would get on trade-in. I have to give away MGS3, DMC3, and Ninja Gaiden soon.

Gattsu25

Banned
Reilly said:
I don't see why Capcom couldn't have just released the special edition with normal packaging.

As for the extra content, I'd rather have my shelf look nice than have a bunch of annoying red bars eveywhere. That's how much I hate GH titles.
This is the type of bullshit I don't understand

You won't buy a better game because you don't like the way it looks when you aren't playing it? Why are you gaming then?

serious questions

Tarazet

Wakune said:
This is the type of bullshit I don't understand

You won't buy a better game because you don't like the way it looks when you aren't playing it? Why are you gaming then?

serious questions

I put the case on my slim PS2 when I'm playing it so I can admire the cover art when the game is loading, or if the cut-scene is boring, or something. I do have some red-label games, though, because realistically I can't afford to be stuck up like that.

Link

The Autumn Wind
sonarrat said:
I do have some red-label games, though, because realistically I can't afford to be stuck up like that.
The trick is to buy the game as soon as it's announced as a GH title, because then you can just buy the regular version at the GH price since they haven't shipped out the ones with the Red Stripe yet.

Tarazet

Link said:
The trick is to buy the game as soon as it's announced as a GH title, because then you can just buy the regular version at the GH price since they haven't shipped out the ones with the Red Stripe yet.

Tough to do when the ship has already sailed.. like Sly Cooper 1, or Final Fantasy X. If you want a copy in black-label, you pretty much also have to put up with buying used.

bengraven

The day it gets announced at a lower pricepoint, my local stores are pretty cool about having black labeled versions in front of Greatest/Platinum Hits. But when Pandora Tomorrow Platinum Hits was released, it ended up conviently disappearing from store shelves the day it was announced and isn't even sold in my town anymore. Small towns...

But anyway, I kind of like the Platinum Hits colors. Nothing too upsetting. The Sony and Nintendo "greatest hits" boxes are fairly ugly.

Link

The Autumn Wind
sonarrat said:
Tough to do when the ship has already sailed.. like Sly Cooper 1, or Final Fantasy X. If you want a copy in black-label, you pretty much also have to put up with buying used.
That's what you get for waiting so long to buy the game.

Seriously, though, aside from ebay, your best bet is to check out Gamestop or EB for used copies. Those aren't exactly rare games, so you have a good chance at finding them in good condition.

Tarazet

Link said:
That's what you get for waiting so long to buy the game.

Seriously, though, aside from ebay, your best bet is to check out Gamestop or EB for used copies. Those aren't exactly rare games, so you have a good chance at finding them in good condition.

I had FFX from day one.. it's Sly Cooper that's hard to find. I see used copies all over the place, but none in acceptable condition.

Seriously, i don't get it. It's a damn red stripe. Not even close to being as ugly as the PS1 green barf stripe. Just put all the red stripes next to each other for a pleasing effect.

The real shame of my gaming shelf isn't my 4 red stripe GH games, it's my copy of
Kingdom Hearts
. Meh.

I spit on it every time I go to the shelf.

joeposh

SnakeXs said:
It depends on the situation.

I'm all for the developers going back and adding something, either because they wanted to, or fan feedback (lol).

I'm totally againt content being withheld for something in the future.

That's my issue, for now it's okay, but I'm becoming concerned that in the future many companies may hold back certian features so that they can pad their pockets from xbox live microtransactions or double dipping come greatest hits time.

Bottomline: adding some things that you couldn't finish in the original development window as extra incentive = good. Purposefully holding back features or characters only to increase your profits down the road = bad.

demi

Mr_Furious said:
also had a 2nd disc of TM:B ONLINE for a limited time at limited retailers (Best Buy, I think)

ps2twistedmetalblackonline7gn.jpg

BTW, I've since gotten over my anal retentiveness towards GH/PH/PC releases with the disclaimer that it must contain special content to sweeten the deal.

edit: because of damn sites and their image leech detection

This is the worst bonus ever, nobody even plays TMB Online, let alone PS2 online period, so what's the point

Black stripe once again proven superior

Top Bottom