• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Championships Wimbledon, 2016 |OT| Brexit at Wimbledon

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
silly question but is she a Jehova Witness? not familiar with religion but she just thanked God Jehova. also it was a pleasure watching the GOAT win again

02-embed-serena-crown.gif

No one who actually follows women's tennis considers Court GOAT.

But the argument can always be made...

Besides, 22 is not enough. She needs at least 23 to undeniably beat Graf - and considering women's tennis was probably more competitive (at the top of the bracket) during Graf's time...

zero_suit

Besides, 22 is not enough. She needs at least 23 to undeniably beat Graf - and considering women's tennis was probably more competitive (at the top of the bracket) during Graf's time...

Not after what happened to Seles...

I would prefer 23, but I am not worried.

Graf has the calendar year golden slam in the same year. It's tough. I think Graf edges it unless Serena can hit 24-25.

Eh. I don't agree.

So much luck plays into streaks like that. What REALLY makes 4 slams in the same year more valuable than 4 in a row over 2 years?

Not to mention that I think you are completely wrong that today is less competitive.

Nobody is making that argument. In fact whenever Court's name is brought up her record is immediately put into proper perspective.

Eh. I don't agree.

So much luck plays into streaks like that. What REALLY makes 4 slams in the same year more valuable than 4 in a row over 2 years?

Not to mention that I think you are completely wrong that today is less competitive.

The mid-80s to mid-90s had Graf, Seles, Navratilova, Evert and other greats like Sanchez-Vicario, Sabatini.

This era is much weaker. No Henin, Mauresmo, Sharapova, Venus has fallen off, etc.. All the 1990s born players have been screwing the pooch or being wildly inconsistent (Muguruza, Kvitova, Bouchard, Wozniacki, etc.).

A calendar year grand slam is more impressive due to the gruelling schedule and no off-season to rest.

Deku Tree

The mid-80s to mid-90s had Graf, Seles, Navratilova, Evert and other greats like Sanchez-Vicario, Sabatini.

This era is much weaker. No Henin, Mauresmo, Sharapova, Venus has fallen off, etc.. All the 1990s born players have been screwing the pooch or being wildly inconsistent (Muguruza, Kvitova, Bouchard, Wozniacki, etc.).

A calendar year grand slam is more impressive due to the gruelling schedule and no off-season to rest.

Navratilova Was basically done winning singles grand slams in 1987, even though she won her final Wimbledon in 1990. Yes she was still playing and she is one of the greatest of all time possibly better than Graf but Putting her in there as if she was still a major force in the mid 1990s is kind of ridiculous IMO.

zero_suit

Navratilova Was basically done winning singles grand slams in 1987, even though she won her final Wimbledon in 1990. Yes she was still playing and she is one of the greatest of all time possibly better than Graf but Putting her in there as if she was still a major force in the mid 1990s is kind of ridiculous IMO.

Exactly. Evert was done winning slams by the late 80s, too.

Deku Tree

Also Monica Seles was almost unbeatable in 1991-1992 and started 1993 the same way until she got stabbed on the court in Germany. And then she was sadly done. She was a non factor in women's tennis after that except for a short return in 1996.

zero_suit

Also Monica Seles was almost unbeatable in 1991-1992 and started 1993 the same way until she got stabbed on the court in Germany. And then she was sadly done. She was a non factor in women's tennis after that except for a short return in 1996.

So, that leaves Sanchez-Vicario...

The competition argument falls flat on its face.

Legit GOAT candidates are clearly Graf and Serena (the edge is now with Serena, IMO, but she's going to remove all debate soon enough). Court winning 11 Australian Opens, many of them against extremely weak fields (I believe some of them had almost no non-Australian entrants), isn't comparable with what either of them did.

I think it counts greatly in Serena's favour that she's been able to remain at, or near, the top for so long. She won four Slams in a row in 2002-2003 then 4 in a row in 2014-2015. She's came through serious illness, refined her game relentlessly and has racked up overwhelming head-to-head records against every highly ranked player who didn't retire long ago (acknowledging Muguruza has beaten her twice on clay). It says something when her last three Slams (before today) were RU, RU, SF and people were openly speaking of a decline.

A Goat candidate has to win exactly 58% of all the slams they enter. Any less and they won't get the numbers. Any more and they discredit the whole era by making their rivals look too weak.

MIMIC

Banned
Was playing doubles while Serena was playing so I didn't get to see the match yet. But I'm not surprised she won. It was only a matter of time before she matched Steffi. And I hear that her serve was better. Not to take anything away from Kerber in Australia, but when Serena plays to her normal capabilities, she is unstoppable.

weekev

Banned
Big serve vs big return. Think we shall be seeing a lot more of Raonic in grand slam finals but today is not gonna be his day. Murray to win in 4.

Cake Boss

Banned
Its currently tied but Roanic looks slow as hell to Murrays returns. Big man can't move as well. Murray just looks more comfortable. We shall see.

Hazzuh

Tennis is at it's best when you have two players with such contrasting styles playing well. Nice change from Djokovic / Murray finals.

leng jai

Raonic simply has to come in behind his first serve. He's screwed of he stays back and lets these floating returns turn into neutral baseline rallies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom