• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The completely crazy statistics of Flight Simulator (40,000 airports, all the roads of the Earth and more)

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Flight Simulator "new generation" looks totally crazy in terms of technical performance. But even more, it's thanks to satellite imagery, which has allowed the total modeling of the Earth, literally, that the wildest numbers have come down to us. Hang your seatbelt!

-2 million cities (total Earth)
-40,000 airports
-1500 billion trees (total Earth)
-All the roads of the Earth
-All the mountains of the Earth

One of the challenges will obviously be to find your house in game, or places that you have visited, while you fly quietly in the sky.

royox

Why aren't they using this technology for open world games based on the real world? Sorry in tech specs I'm dumb as fuck.

scalman

It cant be all that 3d models too it must be some trickery going on there is it? You not gonna land in citys so they there just for show ... Or its some procedural + google maps new magic going on?

scalman

they didint said anything about crashing or landing where you want so maybe thats not possible, just fly by near buildings , but not crashing in it .

i mean those details from video are mind blowing.. proceduraly generated small details like grass , water shaders , etc, off line mode
4r0sfZS.jpg

procedurally generated grass , water shaders
MciOYJO.png

offline mode city detail
b6e3PUJ.png

online mode city details
EHZbb8d.png

ZoKC62y.png

SMDaesj.png

TdTvliD.png

LMVn7fJ.png

1RDOLYW.png

fPLBaIg.png

6AqGDff.png

Last edited:
I'm so ready for this. Hopefully vr will make it in sooner rather than later. The great thing is you don't need high framerates to adequately enjoy it. 4k goodness here I come.

Last edited:

scalman

i think so too, i will just fly over the world doing nothing just cruising along and looking at those places .... just imagine that.
remember when we thought that large game world are when devs said : if yo usee that mountain you can go there ...
but with this game it will be : if you know adress , you can go there anywhere in the world ... how about that scale

Last edited:

scalman

but what about giving all data all details where building are and how they look , how to fly to them , where yo ucan land ... what about giving all that to bad people hands .. ??? am i alone seeing what could go wrong here ? if you detail all citys with high detail in a game where you will flight planes over them ... so ... you know :messenger_confused:

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
Google maps lets you blur out your house for privacy reasons.

I wonder how that will be implemented in this.

eot

Banned
Looks fucking sick, and it's nice to see some "main stream" attention for flight sims again. Takes me back.

Extremely impressive stuff clearly a next gen game but all that investment they literally created a virtual world, it'll be good for art but I'm not sure Microsoft will get even half their money back but then again it's what Microsoft do they just splash money.

greyshark

Why would offline city detail be less than online? Is the data not stored locally but streamed in?

It’s over 2 Petabytes of data - no chance of getting that locally.

This is unbelievably impressive - I almost can’t believe what they’ve accomplished is possible.

Just want to add to the pack saying I cannot freaking wait to see how much detail my hometown got (Lake Tahoe) If it looks as good as it seems in the screen shots, I wonder if you can land and walk around ground level.

-Arcadia-

Banned
but what about giving all data all details where building are and how they look , how to fly to them , where yo ucan land ... what about giving all that to bad people hands .. ??? am i alone seeing what could go wrong here ? if you detail all citys with high detail in a game where you will flight planes over them ... so ... you know :messenger_confused:

I understand your concerns, but I’m not sure airplanes can get much more locked down than they are right now, for better or worse. It’s nothing like it was before 2001.

I wonder if they'll have the tiny local airport near me that only has one destination.

Also, as microsoft studios share tech with each other, can someone please make sure that turn 10, playground games, and undead labs get to use this?

Mattyp

Gold Member
It cant be all that 3d models too it must be some trickery going on there is it? You not gonna land in citys so they there just for show ... Or its some procedural + google maps new magic going on?

You can land anywhere you want as long as you have enough room to put it down like all previous flight sims, it's all 3D models based of Bing maps and then ran through azures AI to get heights right along with depth generating trees for the entire globe etc. So while it's going to look absolutely amazing from above don't expect to pull up down a street in a small Cessna and have Forza graphics around you they can only work with the imagery they have which while covers the entire globe isn't quite down to the minute details yet. But just imagine as street view advances, satellite imaging advance, while AI advances there's no reason Azure couldn't be generating the entire world for Forza in the future and filling in the blanks in 20 years. This is the future we're looking at when you have advancements in AI.

Google maps lets you blur out your house for privacy reasons.

I wonder how that will be implemented in this.

It's Bing, I have no idea why someone would want to blur their rooftop for privacy, it's view-able for anyone that knows you and wants to.

Last edited:

Ribi

I don't get it, bing maps is the biggest piece of shit on the web. How did it create this when it hasn't been updated in years.

Top Bottom