• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The (Comprehensive) Scalebound Breakdown

giphy.gif

Man alive

hey waitaminute, this is gonna be Lair done right!

Fantastic write-up. I don't think I've seen Drew riding the dragon until now. It's definitely one of the games I'm looking forward to most. Many of Kamiya's games are in my all time favorites.

Hmmm... I wonder if this would be Microsoft's last attempt at a Japanese Game to bring in those fanbase this generation? As we've seen from last year, Japanese Developers are all flocking back to Playstation.

SamNW

Been thinking about getting an XONE, but this is really not doing it for me. I think this game sounds good in theory, but I don't like the aesthetic and nothing is catching my eye.

Zeta Oni

Updated the OP to include information about the music for the game, realized I had left that particular topic unmentioned.

Zeta Oni

So Platinum held a conference discussing action game design a few weeks back at GDC, and while there was not a lot of information regarding Scalebound, there were a few choice quotes that I felt were worth sharing.

Normally, I would update the OP with this info but since Scalebound was neither the main topic nor was discussed at any great length, I felt it wasn’t needed.

Regarding character design:

"...So on the other hand you have games where its core lies in developing your characters ability through various weapons and items, but not the character itself, and those games with a sort of stronger RPG elements are better fitted for avatars and customization. For our Scalebound project, its an action-RPG with an emphasis on growing your partner dragon, but the main character drew will also have his own set of actions. Its like, we're trying to take the best of both worlds, pure action game and action-RPG but our director, Kamiya, has a strong preference to have a very unique character so we are definitely not creating a uninspiring character. "

-Atsushi Inaba (translated)

Regarding action games and accessibility:

"So core gamers aren't the only the only ones who play action games so its necessary to make sure players of different levels enjoy your game. In order to do that’s, its important to widen the entry point to the game, but you also need to place a very strong emphasis on ensuring that even those who play straight through the path are plenty satisfied with their experience. Its absolutely necessary to create a fun experience by playing through just the basic systems, but meeting those expectations of those crazy "godlike" types (the core core fans) by adding expandability features and depth is also equally important."

-Atsushi Inaba (translated)

I highly recommend anyone interested in making games or are just more interested in the thought process behind games in general give the whole thing a watch, its very insightful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrw2IP6pZu0

Also, with E3 coming up in a few weeks and Gamescom not far behind, I'm interested in hearing what people might be hoping to see from a gameplay perspective.

Besides minor things like a more polished performance and a newer/updated UI, I'm hoping they finally drop some full blown multiplayer gameplay as well as discuss how the multiplayer will be working. Also, I wouldn't mind a slight character redesign (maybe closer to earlier concept artwork featured in the OP), but as long as the customization is in depth I wont mind either way.

Missed this thread first time around. Glad I caught it this time as there's lots of stuff I didn't know, very cool OP :)

This isn't going to skip E3, right?

Zeta Oni

Missed this thread first time around. Glad I caught it this time as there's lots of stuff I didn't know, very cool OP :)

This isn't going to skip E3, right?

If MS stick to the plan they had last year (current year games at E3, next years games at Gamescom), then probably, unfortunately.

If MS stick to the plan they had last year (current year games at E3, next years games at Gamescom), then probably, unfortunately.

Nah, I don't see this missing E3. Hideki Kamiya is too much of a diva for MS not to have Scalebound at E3. He got pissed of at MS last year for not marketing the game even though the game wasn't ready to be shown.

Zeta Oni

I have incredibly high hopes for this game, but that early footage looked pretty suspect.

Keep in mind that assuming Scalebound has a Q1 2017 release date, it will have been about a year and a half since that footage. Many things that probably stick out to you (placeholder UI, performance, etc.) will probably be improved upon by then, if not already.

Nah, I don't see this missing E3. Hideki Kamiya is too much of a diva for MS not to have Scalebound at E3. He got pissed of at MS last year for not marketing the game even though the game wasn't ready to be shown.

Hopefully your right, I've been really wanting some new footage for forever now. And I knew about the Kamiya/gamescom situation, but I never knew the footage being too early to show was why, interesting.

Zeta Oni

So, the website that leaked the potential Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Remaster also has a page up now for Scalebound:

http://www.base.com/buy/product/scalebound-xbox-one/dgc-scaleboundxbox.htm

Whats curious is here is the release date, listed as March 31st in the UK.

With the delay of the game to 2017, a rumored Microsoft hardware refresh taking place during spring 2017, as well as the rumors of the scorpio, I have to say this date is pretty believable.

Still, hopefully E3 provides some solid answers.

As of now I don't believe we have official confirmation of Scalebound at E3 but we have had a few insiders here on GAF state it will be in rumor threads, and with the gear they are handing out for xbox fanfest, I'm inclined to agree.

Zeta Oni

March 31 is almost certainly a placeholder. It's the end of their Fiscal Year.

There's a US date that I believe is the 28th, but regardless you raise a good point, its could be nothing more than a placeholder.

I personally just find the timing to make it worth mentioning to some degree, rather than making a new topic about it.

I could see a potential spring release for the game, kind of filling the spot Quantum Break took this year.

I know I am.

If your a console player, then yeah probably.

However, I am guessing the game will see a W10 release, so if you weren't interested in a new console id keep an ear out. (again, assuming you have any interest in PC)

Regardless of how you get it, make sure your in the OT, gonna need all the Thubans we can get.

cireza

Banned
Bought the console because of this game (among a few others of course). Hope it delivers.

If the game is going to be released before next E3, then you can be sure that it will be shown Monday.

Zeta Oni

Shinobi confirmed that it will be at E3

Nah I know, I asked him if it would be ok to cross post that info over here but since I never got a response, I felt it would be smarter to wait on an official announcement.

But all things are certainly pointing to him being right.

My hope is that they've radically redesigned the douchelord that stars in this game.

Well, you can change the clothes at least...

But overall, I do agree, nothing too major, but some adjustments could be made.

Zeta Oni

Awesome thread man. I'm so excited for this game and I didn't know about 90% of whats in the OP.

Then my thread is a success.

Thanks btw, I just have a feeling this game has potential to be Platinums greatest game to date, and that alone keeps my hype for this title going.

silva1991

I was talking about how great Bayonetta 1 and Okami are the other day an I need more Kamiya's goodness

I wonder if it will release close to Horizon and Persona 5 next year.

Chris1

I was talking about how great Bayonetta 1 and Okami are the other day an I need more Kamiya's goodness

I wonder if it will release close to Horizon and Persona 5 next year.

My guess would be April next year, same month as QB.

Really excited for this game, looked incredible at Gamescom and excited as hell to see more of it at E3. This game is right up my alley

If this comes to PC i will be in heaven

if not, i'm getting an xbone I guess. I wasted money on a wii u so I could play bayo2(worth it) so it's not the worst decision I'll have made.

Zeta Oni

Nicely made OP, it's nice to get a refresher on the game now I've all but forgotten it post-reveal hype.

However...

Get out. I don't care if it's your thread, just leave.

OP stands by his statement.

If this comes to PC i will be in heaven

if not, i'm getting an xbone I guess. I wasted money on a wii u so I could play bayo2(worth it) so it's not the worst decision I'll have made.

I'd say with the way MS has been heading, there's a good chance it will see a release on PC. All I hope is that it has crossplay, the more gaffers in the OT riding dragons together, the better.

Top Bottom